Sofia Italian Steakhouse
1430 VFW Parkway
West Roxbury, MA 02132Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Sofia Italian Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sofiaboston.com/
- Phone: 6174692600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: David Warden
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: 3 course dinner Monday & Tuesday - $20 / person
3 course dinner Wednesday & Thursday - $25 / person
- Cross Street: Spring Street
- Public Transit: MBTA DIRECTIONS:
FOREST HILL MBTA STATION
Bus #36 (Forest Hills/VA Hospital) terminates at the Veteran’s Hospital on the VFW Parkway. Cross Spring Street, to 1430 VFW Parkway on the north bound side.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Valet Parking every Saturday
A word from Sofia Italian Steakhouse
Sofia is an elegant Italian Steakhouse providing an urban dining experience in a suburban location. A remarkable selection of wines by the glass are offered and wine is prominently displayed in the bar area. Sofia offers superior hospitality in a high energy atmosphere featuring an attractive classic decor. Our mission is to consistently provide every guest with a unique dining experience - delicious food, an excellent selection of beverages and wines and professional unparalleled service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sofia Italian Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (76)neighborhood gem (65)good for groups (52)fit for foodies (50)romantic (50)notable wine list (24)vibrant bar scene (15)great for lunch (14)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (6)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great AtmosphereTonedefDined on 10/17/2014It's feels like a downtown steakhouse but yet it's right on Rte 1 with "out of Boston" friendly pricing. Great for families and large groups or a nice date night. The food is always great and the service is outstanding. I had swordfish picatta over Parmesan risotto, which was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantERM7Dined on 10/6/2014Our experience at Sofia was great! The filet mignon was execelent and cook they way we ask for, the place it's very nice decorate and their wine selection present a lot choose, the noise was high even when taking in consideration that there were not to many people. Other than that was a great expirince.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimersnewbeefoodieDined on 10/5/2014This place is a gem and worth a return. Food was amazing. Beautiful inside. Cheesecake was the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service and atmosphereOccasionalDinerDined on 10/4/2014We were looking for something middle high cost/experience level - a notch below a Capital Grille but something better than an Outback. This was closer to a Capital Grille - a bit noisier which is not bad if you want to talk as well. Steak was great, waiter was attentive, good atmosphere and they brought a small slice of cake for my son's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing food and slow servicemattlDined on 10/4/2014Had high hopes for this place since it always looks crowded and the reviews seemed positive, but it was a mistake since both the service and food was underwhelming. This sits along the VFW Parkway on the Dedham/West Roxbury line and was a previous Italian restaurant that changed hands. The parking situation here is a mess and unless you valet, you will never find a spot on busy nights. First impression, the place looked nice inside although hostess station was a bit disorganized and even though we had a reservation, we still waited for a table. The bar area and restaurant looked crowded and the noise level is pretty loud but seemed vibrant. Unfortunately the food was a disappointment and the service was at a snails pace. Skip it.
- Good food/poor hostessKB413Dined on 10/4/2014Good food and attentive waitress. However, the hostess did not have our reservation. Even after I showed the confirmation email from Open Table, we were still given an attitude for the inconvenience WE caused her. Then we were seated in one of the worst spots in the restaurants. My husbands chair was literally in a busy corridor. Not how we envisioned the view or ambience of our anniversary dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Excellent service excellent food. The most impressive part was they didn't rush us through the meal....I love the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Evening!Epicurean45VIPDined on 9/30/2014Celebrated my son's 28th birthday at Sofia and had a great time. Starters sampled included the risotto, eggplant rolotini, and Caesar salad. Each was very, very good. Entrees included the 8 oz. filet (two selected this), which were cooked to perfection; fettuccine carbonara ("fantastic") and salmon (delicious). The service was excellent and the birthday dessert was very well-presented. We could not have asked for more!Special Features:
- Amazing!LadyRaineGoldenDined on 9/28/2014I had such a great night! it was a surprise birthday celebration for my boyfriend as well as his first time there. It was very romantic, cozy and the food was fantastic! We absolutely enjoyed ourselves and we will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedNantucketDined on 9/27/2014Have been wanting to try this restaurant for a while, had a martini that was the worst one I have ever tasted, the food was ok nothing impressive. Would not returnSpecial Features:
- jamescareyjrDined on 9/23/2014The waitress, Amy, made the occasion for us. Fun, patient, attentive, smart and easy going, she made everything else fall right into place. I will go back...especially if she she waitress!
- oops bad partybrunchloverDined on 9/22/2014food as always was delicious but unfortunately an extremely lubricated andloud group were seated next to us even though there were empty tables.it made it difficult to enjoy our birthday celebration as we could not hear ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SofiaVVH1Dined on 9/21/2014I am a repeat customer at this fabulous neighborhood establishment. The food is spectacular. We had appetizers, calamari, shrimp cocktail and a delicious prosciutto pizza followed by some of the most tender cuts of beef that I have ever had the pleasure of indulging in. The ambiance is superb and the wait staff is quite gracious.Special Features:
- Too noisy!MissartsycraftsyVIPDined on 9/20/2014Food was decent, service very, very good! Place was way too noisy, would not recommend a Saturday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThirtythreeDined on 9/19/2014They were out of prime rib at 730 on a Friday and they were also out of the 1/2 bottle of wine that I had selected. Very loud hard to have a conversation. Chicken Parm was good. Steak was only ok and a bit pricey for the portion size. My husband would not go back.
- Thoroughly enjoyable meal.beejayDined on 9/18/2014My husband & I went to Sofia last week to celebrate our anniversary. After reading recent yelp reviews I was really looking forward to it. We had been there once a year or more ago for Restaurant week and thought the normal prices were a bit high. We took advantage of the Wednesday/Thursday Prix Fixe menu. The food was superb! Portions are generous. We ended up taking a dessert home, we were so full. Also enjoyed creative cocktails. Our waitress was very attentive. The only negative is the noise level. otherwise it is a wonderful setting.Special Features:
- Prix fix ThursdayKarenVIPDined on 9/18/2014This restaurant has 3 course menus M-Th for $24-28 per person, which are well worth going for. In the weekend evenings it's a madhouse in there and even with reservations we have had to wait for an hour or more for a table. We highly recommend the weekday times as the food is the same on both the 3 course and regular menus. There are 4-5 choices on the 3 course menus and 2 desserts to chose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TrifectaJack513Dined on 9/13/2014Great drinks, excellent food, outstanding service. Bartender knows how to make drinks the way you like them. The risotto balls were a little delayed in coming out but worth the wait. It also delayed our sitting at our dining table but again, it was an upgrade. Very accomodating with the wine selection. Food was cooked to perfection. Capped off with excellent cannoli and capacino/expressoSpecial Features:
- luvgoodfoodDined on 9/10/2014Food and service were great, we were served by a waitress in training and she did a very good job. This was not our first and it will not be our last.Special Features:
- NoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014We have eaten here many times. Altho we love the food,location, atmosphere,etc. we were overwelmed by the noise level on Sat. night. The noise was deafening to say the least. There were at least 3 birthday parties going on & people were literally screaming. It was very uncomfortable to eat under these conditions as it was a special birthday for my husband as well & his 2 sons had come in from out of State to celebrate. We had to shout at each other to have a conversation. Is there anything the restaurant can do to lessen the noise level?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to be back!ItalianfoodluvrDined on 9/5/2014We live in Connecticut. We were at Sophia's about two years ago, and wanted to get back. We tried one Friday evening, but the place was so packed the wait would have been over an hour. This past Friday we made an online reservation for lunch so that we would be assured a table, but there were very few people there. The experience was wonderful, as we had remembered it. We would go back for special times anytime we are in the area.Special Features:
- Wonderful As AlwaysDelLouDined on 9/3/2014I love Sofia's. The food is awesome as well as the service. I tried the gnocchi for the first time and I loved it. It has now become my favorite place to dine.Special Features:
- Great Steaks and ItalianJonfromtheBurbsDined on 8/29/2014I did a fixed price 3 course meal that was relatively economical - and it was all great! First courses were a baby arugula salad with dried fruits and candied walnuts - great dressing. I tasted some raviolis that were also delicious. I split the entree with my dining companion, so I got to enjoy not only a great sirloin steak with parmesan truffle steak fries, but also a chicken parm with ziti. Desserts did not disappoint as I also shared what appeared to be homemade raspberry sorbet with fresh berries and some of the creamiest cheescake I have had in a long time! The service was first rate. The only tiny negative thing I could say is that there isn't a piece of fabric or carpet in the place, so it is quite loud.Special Features:
- Sofia's during Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014We have dined at Sofia's Steakhouse multiple times, in the bar and restaurant. Appetizers and dinner were great, however they have been out of our favorite wine for some time now, so they should take it off the menu-Stag's leap artemis cabernet 1/2 bottle. Also, we both got the cheesecake for dessert and it was horrible. Came straight from a box and there was a drop of raspberry sauce on it. I couldn't even finish it.Special Features:
- Great TimeCoolNannieDined on 8/29/2014First we had 5 people on our original reservation but 3 extras showed up and Sophia's personnel made it work for us. Food and service was great, as usual.Special Features:
- Sofia's is Always Outstandingjambss95Dined on 8/29/2014We dine at Sofia's on special occasions, we've brought friends, and we've come just for a great dinner. Food and service are consistently outstanding, and the value to price is quite good. We highly recommend Sofia's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SIS - 2nd Time for Restaurant WeekCottageDined on 8/28/2014My second trip to Sofia's was very good but not as great as my first trip. On my first trip the restaurant ran out of my side dish and dessert of choice, au gratin potatoes and cheesecake, and replaced them with really good mashed potatoes and tiramisu. On the second trip everything was available but I thought the au gratin potatoes were bland and the cheesecake tasted like sweetened American cheese. With these two items aside plus a great waitress, everything else was great (Hendricks gin and tonic, calamari fritti, lamb chops and arugala). They have a slightly cheaper pri fixe menu similar to that of the Restaurant Week menu but with different dessert options so I definitely plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- marieOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014Calamari apps were outstanding!! The rest of the food -- none of us (4) would go back.
- Sofia'sLpastDined on 8/27/2014Great spot for lunch. Food was good and location is convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!golfgirlDined on 8/26/2014The food was delicious, portions were large, and the service was excellent!!Special Features:
- judeVIPDined on 8/25/2014lunch was very good service was outstanding the waitperson was Dan very very niceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Too, too muchbtpsDined on 8/24/2014This was my first visit (Restaurant Week). Service was extremely slow for a Sunday night at 7 p.m. for a group of four. We were seated promptly, told our server we were going to order wine to and then we didn't see him again for almost 30 minutes. Portions were over sized; an entree could easily feed two with leftovers. Arugula salad with Pecans and Figs was the highlight of my meal and very good. The entrees were prepared as ordered, but none of us liked the sides that accompanied them; I don't believe the desserts are made at the restaurant.
- Always SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014My visits to Sofia's though not often as I would like are worth waiting for! The food is just great. I always have a hard time choosing my entrée since you have several choices on the menu that I love. I never have a problem choosing a appetizer or dessert though, Crab Cake is one of my favorites and the Freshed Baked Cookies with Vanilla Ice Cream is worth waiting for! Always, always leave room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChanskyDined on 8/24/2014I have never had a bad meal at Sofia. We really enjoyed our meals. Sofia always have the best restaurant week. Great selections!! They never disappointed me. We will be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sofia is Ecellence !knowgoodfoodDined on 8/23/2014Great menu !!! Lots of variety, good quality product, great service and atmosphere. We've been there several times for Restaurant Boston Week but after being so pleasantly satisfied each time we're going to go back with 3 other couples who have never been there. We are anxious to try out some items on their regular menu. We had the oysters and the crabcake apps. They were so fresh and delicious. The steaks are of the highest quality and the bread is addictive. Fresh baked warm cookies (6 huge cookies) and vanilla ice cream were we a wonderful ending as was the cheesecake. The four of us actually ended up taking half our meal and half out dessert home. Now who takes dessert home? We were just so full we could not eat another bite !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014we found Sofia's listed on Restaurant week, its a bit far from our home but I am glad we went. Reservation was honored right on time, selection was excellent and the food and service was great. Looking forward to going to Ameila's in the near futureSpecial Features:
- moemenDined on 8/21/2014We were a party of 7 celebrating two birthdays. The food and service were excellent. Would Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian with a twistChinayumDined on 8/20/2014The chicken parm was amazing and my boyfriend loved his steak with spicy jelly! The cheesecake was so rich... Basically to die for! I almost tasted like a mix between a flan and a cheesecake! Yum! Thank you for the great service also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointeddebnhDined on 8/20/2014We work crazy hours [in food business] and don't dine out often. Sofia's is one of our favorite restaurants. The food selection covers a wide array of entrees, service is great, and the food is very flavorful & generously portioned. We would visit more often if it wasn't for the traffic on 128! I prefer Sofia's over many of the Boston restaurants.Special Features:
- Worth it!SatiatedDined on 8/19/2014Every single thing about this restaurant is always great. We come here many times and are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.