Sofia Italian Steakhouse
1430 VFW Parkway
West Roxbury, MA 02132Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Sofia Italian Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sofiaboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 469-2600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: David Warden
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: 3 course dinner Monday & Tuesday - $20 / person
3 course dinner Wednesday & Thursday - $25 / person
- Cross Street: Spring Street
- Public Transit: MBTA DIRECTIONS:
FOREST HILL MBTA STATION
Bus #36 (Forest Hills/VA Hospital) terminates at the Veteran’s Hospital on the VFW Parkway. Cross Spring Street, to 1430 VFW Parkway on the north bound side.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Valet Parking every Saturday
A word from Sofia Italian Steakhouse
Sofia is an elegant Italian Steakhouse providing an urban dining experience in a suburban location. A remarkable selection of wines by the glass are offered and wine is prominently displayed in the bar area. Sofia offers superior hospitality in a high energy atmosphere featuring an attractive classic decor. Our mission is to consistently provide every guest with a unique dining experience - delicious food, an excellent selection of beverages and wines and professional unparalleled service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sofia Italian Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (74)neighborhood gem (68)good for groups (53)fit for foodies (48)romantic (48)notable wine list (28)vibrant bar scene (20)great for lunch (17)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (6)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- I really enjoyed Vintage.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2009I really enjoyed Vintage. I took my family there for Mother's day. I was not expected too much. I saw the menu and figured that it was a good pick because it met everyone's needs. I was really impressed with everything Vintage had to offer. It was easy to find, it was gorgeous inside and the food and staff were phenomenal. Our waitress was very attentive and answered my family's endless questions about the menu. I had the vintage veal and it was cooked perfectly. My family all enjoyed their meals too. I highly recommend Vintage.Special Features:
- We had a great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2009We had a great dining experience at Vintage on Mother's Day. The food was very good, the ambiance was very pleasing and the service was excellent. We'll be back.Special Features:
- I was very dissapointed uponslk1818Dined on 5/10/2009I was very dissapointed upon arrival when being seated. The host escorted us to a back small room. When we (four of us for Mothers Day) expressed our dismay and reqested a booth in the front of the restaurant ( opened at 4:00 and it was 4:00, not very many were seated) we were given a hard time, and excuses that made no sense. I had to finally tell him that I was paying and we didn't want the small room. My Mother was verbally expressive in her refusal to sit in the small back room of an empty restaurant. Nice start to Mothers Day. The food was fair. Veal parm not very tasty and pounded way to thin. Pork chop on the tough side. Double thick lamb chops were not all double thick and the delivery was given to the wrong person.
- I have been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/9/2009I have been to this restaurant a few times. It has changed owners, and the food is still very good. It has a variety of menu items to choose from and the portions are good sized. It isn't as upscale as it was withthe previous owner, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. The prices are reasonable, and there were families dining. Overall, I really like the Vintage, and would recommend to anyone looking for good wine and food at moderate prices in a steakhouse feeling atmosphere. The experience would have gotten another star, but it was so loud in there it was distracting at times. It is kind of par for the course on a Saturday night. Hopefully, the loud and extremely obnoxious girl seated a few tables over from us won't be there!Special Features:
- This is the second time I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/8/2009This is the second time I've been here and the decor is beautiful and the food is very good. Not top a 10 but at least a 9, which these days is pretty hard to find. I will definitely go here again.Special Features:
- We have been to Vintage severalkkingDined on 5/7/2009We have been to Vintage several times, and have never been disappointed!!Special Features:
- Everything looked good, however,crosswordVIPDined on 5/6/2009Everything looked good, however, the meats were a little tough.
- Disappointed in that the waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2009Disappointed in that the waiter indicated that they did not have any "House Chardaney Wine" at the listed price of $5/glass (Oak Hill) so the next level up was $11! Then after dinner we went to the bar and there they said yes we do have Oak Hill house wine (surprise, surprise). Based on our dinner experience we specifically confirmed with the waiter that it was Oak Hill and he said yes - so we ordered that. Well it ended up that afer we received our glasses of wine we questioned the brand again and low and behold, the house wine was in fact a different brand! In addition, dessert was offered and for some reason only one dessert menu was provided????? Not a good way to run a business!Special Features:
- I have been going to VintageOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 5/1/2009I have been going to Vintage for years, though it's few different iterations since the transformation from the old fried chicken shack it replaced. The buildout with soaring ceilings and extensive woodwork is quite sensational. After this visit, I again left feeling that it was clearly good, but not sensational or truly memorable. My daughter ate the surf and turf special, a petite fillet with a split lobster tail, mashed potatoes and carrots. She ate every bit, I will say. We had shared the mussel appetizer, which was generous portion-wise and quite tasty. I had the scallop entree, which didn't hit the mark, either in flavor or presentation. We were full from the meal and decided to take a piece of cheesecake home.Special Features:
- wrong meal was delivered andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/28/2009wrong meal was delivered and waiter then argued about it. Three people tasted my dinner and stated it was VEAL and not the chicken ordered. Waiter disputed this, definitely not appropriate; before bringing another dinner which was so late, I had it packed to go home and went from appetizer to dessert...no dinner for me that night.
- We had a table for eight people,OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/25/2009We had a table for eight people, celebrating two birthdays. We were not told that there was a mandatory 18% service charge for large parties. Service was extremely slow (probably due to the fact that the waiter was already assured 18%)The meats were well seasoned and tasted good, however, the food was not prepared correctly, i.e, medium rare came out medium, the waiter did not know what the different cuts of meat were (ribeye vs. prime rib), he was also extremely unattentive, we had to ask for more water, he did not offer more bread. We noticed the waiter was more attentive to a smaller table of five, because he had to earn his tips! The entire meal lasted over two hours waiting for service and food! I probably will not go back.!Special Features:
- The parking lot is a nightmare.McdonowilVIPDined on 4/21/2009The parking lot is a nightmare. Delivery trucks block up the back so that you can't even drive around to the few available spaces. Service was horrible. We waited at the table for over 15 minutes before we could even order a drink. Our original waiter couldn't handle our table our table of 5 so we were passed off to another waitress who tried to squeeze us in. Food was great but this place has issues.Special Features:
- I really like Vintage. It'sFoodieDined on 4/3/2009I really like Vintage. It's a pretty restaurant that is great to take friends from out of town. The complimentary valet parking is a great touch. I've eaten at Vintage three times. Each time the food was excellent. Nice size portions. So I feel I've gotten my money's worth. The only downside is service is so slow. Everytime I've been I've waited an excessive amount of time for my food. I don't understand why it takes 15 minutes for the appetizer of soup & salad to arrive. However, that is not enough reason to keep me from coming back, because I use that time to enjoy association with my friends & family. I've recommended Vintage to others and will continue to recommend it.Special Features:
- Good food and good service.DougRVIPDined on 4/2/2009Good food and good service. I've been three time since it opened and this time was by far the best. I hope the trend continues.Special Features:
- It was a busy Wednesday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/25/2009It was a busy Wednesday night and we had a wonderful experience at Vintage . Having never been there before our server Rob was wonderful and very helpful with all of our choices. We had a party of 5 with my 6 yo daughter and Rob was great with her, she had a fun time. The food was great, even my daughter's cheeseburger was tasty, seasoned well and very moist, not just a dry hockey puck. We will definitely go back and recommend Vintage to our friends.Special Features:
- This is a really attractiveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/23/2009This is a really attractive restaurant. The room we were in had a fireplace and only a few tables. The menu is varied. The food is excellent and the portions are huge.Special Features:
- Excellent server, food andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/20/2009Excellent server, food and wine. A perfect dinner and a wonderful waiter.
- The food was good. It wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/14/2009The food was good. It was an older crowd then we expected. We had a reservation and got there on time but had to wait 20 minutes to be seated. We were seated in a smaller area with a larger party that was extremely loud they should have been in the room themselves. Overall it was ok. I will not be rushing to go back there.
- We have been to Vintage aOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/14/2009We have been to Vintage a few times recently. The food is very good and the atmosphere is great. Our waiter was wonderful and very accomodating. My only sour note is that the food came out too quickly. We ordered a cocktail and were planning to order a nice bottle of wine. My appetizer ( which was very good) came out almost immediately. Before I could order the wine and when I was only part way through my appetizer our main courses arrived---felt very rushed. In the future I would not place the entire order at once so that we could take our time and enjoy our dinner. On a positive note the new valet parking service is a real plus!Special Features:
- I loved it. I can't wait toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/14/2009I loved it. I can't wait to go back. Food was great. Service was great. Wine was great. The bathroom was nicer than my house. Everybody there smiled at us and were very nice and professional. Great experience.Special Features:
- Kara was an excellent waitress.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2009Kara was an excellent waitress. She was very knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:
- Vintage was the perfect choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/7/2009Vintage was the perfect choice for a first date. Not too formal, not too casual. The bar is beautiful, great spot to start the night. Our meal was excellent. Server was also excellent. Start with the Mussels, very good. Complimentary valet is good idea, use it. If things go the way I hope, Vintage may become "our spot".Special Features:
- The food portions were moreOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/7/2009The food portions were more than adequate. I liked the fact that the main course was not overloaded with pasta. The service was excellent. The only fault was that it was very noisy. I would not recommend it if you wanted to carry on a conversation.
- Luke warm food made for aOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/4/2009Luke warm food made for a less than expected night out. I had prime rib that was cold enough to show the fat as white. It must have been left over from the previous evening. My wife had a cold filet. If a steak is cooked to order how can it be served cold?
- Excellent food. Monday andChinobossVIPDined on 3/2/2009Excellent food. Monday and Tuesday is free dessert night. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- The waiter was great. My husbandOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/28/2009The waiter was great. My husband ordered veal marsala and was served chicken marsala. The waier checked the order and it was ordered correctly, but the wait staff served the wrong meal. They rectified it by taking care of our desserts. We also asked for a candle on a dessert and even called ahead, but the hostess was unable to help us. The waiter took care of ity, but we had to ask him separately. Overall the food was very good. There was aparty of 6 two tables away that was extremely loud which was unfortunate, but after they left, the atmosphere improved. We would definitely go back despite the few issues we had.Special Features:
- Warm interior. Nicely laidOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/27/2009Warm interior. Nicely laid out. Waitress not super with wine list, but ok. Foor was excellent. Price much better than under prior management. Valet service a treat.
- Was very hopeful to find aCyrrobVIPDined on 2/27/2009Was very hopeful to find a new gem in the neighborhood, I was not dissapointed. My wife and I both enjoyed the evening. We shall be back.Special Features:
- It was great to have themOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/21/2009It was great to have them reopen. The food was excellent and the service was just OK. I do miss the Harvest Ravioli from the prior menu though.
- I had the Veal Oscar and itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/19/2009I had the Veal Oscar and it was OUTSTANDING. The food was excellent. The wine was excellent. Our server was excellent. However, if you are not at a table yet, good luck getting acknowledged. The staff was a little busy, and they just kept walking by us and the host/hostess was no where to be found all night.Special Features:
- Went once to old Vintage once;MadelineDined on 2/18/2009Went once to old Vintage once; was not impressed so we never went back. Tried again when it re-opened. Waitress seemed inexperienced, but made an effort. 2 out of our 4 meals were good, the other 2 were VERY disappointing. Would not recommend/ will not go back.
- Wine list was mostly California,DeanJCDined on 2/18/2009Wine list was mostly California, not one Italian wine by the bottle on the list, surprising, given that it bills itself as ITalian American cuisine.
- My mom and I took my sisterpattyDined on 2/15/2009My mom and I took my sister here for her birthday. We had ordered a birthday cake with my reservation and were not charged for it. The food was excellant with large portions. I would definatly return again.Special Features:
- Three of us went to this localOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/15/2009Three of us went to this local restaurant - my wife and I and our 20 year old daughter. The atmosphere is very nice - upscale, more steakhouse than Italian. We had been once before the change in ownership, and looked forward to seeing how it differed. The staff was friendly, the wine steward knowledgeable, but our waitress less so. We liked two of the dishes - excellent in fact - but the special fish I ordered turned out to be a small, overcooked and way overpriced item. I am not sure why... We would consider returning, but would stick to the regular menu.Special Features:
- It was a nice modern feel.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/14/2009It was a nice modern feel. The waitstaff was attentive and polite, even on Valentine's Day. The Valet was free and was a nice touch on a cold night. The Calamari was okay, the scallops were cooked well, the only thing I didnt like the fried risotto. But overall I did like the restaurant, willing to give it a second shot!Special Features:
- To be honest, I have drivenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2009To be honest, I have driven by Vintage a dozen times and have been very excited about trying the restaurant under its new management. Unforunately the experience left much to be desired. I understand it was Valentine's Day, so I was prepared for a quick dinner service to turn the table around but not as quick as it actually happened. We were seated immeditaely for our 7:30pm reservation and were back in the car at 8:17pm. After all the excitement about trying this new 'Vintage' I will never go back. I would compare the food and service to an upscale Vinny T's.
- It was a special night forOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2009It was a special night for me, as it was one year ago I was diagoned with cancer and now I am cancer free. It was a very nice place to go the staff was great the food fabulous couldn't ask for anything more. Thank you so much it was great LorettaSpecial Features:
- great valentines day restaraunt,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2009great valentines day restaraunt, the service was amazing, it felt like the waitress was only handling our table, as soon as we sat down we recorved water and bread, but best of all was the price of food, most of the menu was in the 12-18 dollar range, but the service we recieved felt like a much much pricier restaraunt, great placeSpecial Features:
- I ordered the steak and fries.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2009I ordered the steak and fries. The fries were shoe string fries, cripsy and golden. The steak was a skirt steak, about as tough as one would expect the steak to be. However it lacked any real flavor. My wife order the scallops w/crab risotto cake. The scallops were very good, but the risotto cake tasted more like a crab cake gone bad. over all not a bad experience. We would go back to try more to the selections. The amiance was very nice. Not to bright not to dim. Nice bar setup.Special Features:
- Food & service was great. MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/13/2009Food & service was great. Menu has something for everyone & priced reasonablySpecial Features: