509 Myrtle Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11205Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://socobk.com/
- Phone: (718) 783-1936
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch/Brunch: Tuesday - Sunday 12noon - 3:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: until 1am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary Southern, Cajun
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Soco
Soco is located in Brooklyn. We serve Cajun-Southern food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Soco reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (58)neighborhood gem (57)great for brunch (50)hot spot (50)good for groups (44)great for lunch (31)special occasion (25)vibrant bar scene (25)romantic (24)late-night find (20)great for outdoor dining (19)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (2)Show More
- Southern food with a twistOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/16/2014Try the chicken with waffles - red velvet waffles, yum! Good short ribs, fantastic mac and cheese. The only disappointment - no pecan pie for desert? 6 enthusiastic thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great variety of food & drinks. Nice local spot.ReefromSpringfieldMADined on 11/15/2014Nice vibe. Great variety of food. Not your standard southern cuisine; but southern with a delightful twist. There were 4 of us, we all ordered different dishes and we were all able to sample all the dishes. Portions were very good. I have already recommended it to friends and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodlmc66VIPDined on 11/14/2014Excellent food. Service very good. Overall ver well done.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely AmbianceDreaDined on 11/9/2014The fried chicken is really good, but you have to really like red velvet cake to get the waffle. I got the strawberry shortcake french toast and it was amazing. The only thing that would have made it better is if I had the option to order chicken as a side. I went on a Sunday before 1 pm so I beat the after-church crowd, but after 1 pm is a long wait if you don't have a reservation. It is very popular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but...chyna2855Dined on 11/8/2014Had a reservation but still had to wait about 25 min for a table. It was super busy. Other than that it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Fails to Leave Me Satisfied!AshleyDined on 11/4/2014This is my 4th time being at Soco. I swear everytime I go the place just becomes better. You're seated immediately and the wait staff is truly attentive. The food is delicious. This time I had the short ribs, they were so juicy and tender. Also, if you like sweet creamy alcoholic drinks -- the caramel martini is everything. Thank you Soco for a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a trip to BrooklynNOLADined on 11/1/2014Great place! The Mac n Cheese is a must! Sangria is great.... Left with a big smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- red waffle and chickenKemistry69Dined on 10/29/2014food was great and the price was fair, waiters and service a little poor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014The red velvet waffles and fried chicken is a MUST! For all the nonalcoholics, I also had their peach lemonade and mango sweet tea! Both very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soco RocksLuvgoodfoodDined on 10/25/2014Great food at a great price.Nice and cozy atmosphere.Will be returning to try something new from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a pretty cool experienceLindsayTiegsDined on 10/21/2014The food was very delicious. I loved the Mac and cheese. The steak was perfect and so were the wings I have tried their chicken and waffle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodfoodie513VIPDined on 10/19/2014Went there for brunch. I would definitely recommend getting a reservation or else the wait is long! Nice group of young hip professionals. Must try the mac and cheese! The collard greens were amazing. I had the fried chicken with the red velvet waffles. The soco sangria was amazing! I will be back!Special Features:
- A New Favoriteamarij2000Dined on 10/18/2014I have been dying to get SoCo. My husband and I drove an hour from Jersey. My heart was set on the Buttermilk Red Velvet Waffle and fried chicken with a side of mac & cheese. It was everything I dreamed it would be. Our waiter Sam was the best. This will be added to our lists of favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh, my Soco!LolaMoDined on 10/17/2014I have been to this location a couple times (about 4 or 5). Unfortunately, the last time I came the service was not good. We were a group of 5 and we had to keep reminding our server (Larry or Lawrence?) About our drinks and he completely forgot a Salmon we ordered. Its a 50/50 deal on going back....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeluvsocosDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant is awesome. The foods is great, the staff is friendly and very attentive. This is my new favorite restaurant. 5 stars and two thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch dateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014This was not my first visit or My first time having Tori as my waitress. Tori is nice but doesnt seem to be in a good mood the two times that I have had her. The food did take a very long time to come, but when it did the lobster shrimp and grits made it worth it. The taste was great and left me wanting more. The mac and cheese was also very good as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girlz Night Out In BrooklynBKDINE830Dined on 9/28/2014My Sista Friend and I wanted a cool spot in Brooklyn that offers great drinks, dinner and AWESOME DESSERT AND SOCA IS THE PLACE. I'M NEVER DISAPPOINTED WHEN I COME AND DINE AT SOCA.👍👍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work to be done...ChanelNicoleDined on 9/27/2014I happened to eat here twice for brunch in one weekend...not recommended, but also not horrible. The food: shrimp/lobster & grits was filling and well prepared though it seemed to just be a lobster broth with no meat (at least not in my tray). The mimosas were average and would have been better served with a non-concentrate frozen juice. Our server was friendly, but a bit slow and the kitchen was horribly backed up. We waited nearly 55 minutes for our food. The only saving grace was our own good company. The server mentioned that two of the kitchen staff but I returned the next day (not by choice it was a group decision) and we experienced the same LONG and seemingly inexplicable wait. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend.Special Features:
- The hype, was it worth it?Zero2OneHundredDined on 9/26/2014Made reservations for 5 and was accomodated when the 5th diner didn't come. So, I came here for the chicken & waffles, after hearing so much about them. Chicken was tasty but I didn't care for the red velvet waffle at all - too doughy for my liking but the Mac & cheese was good. Overall, the space was nice & staff was friendly. My only issue was that other diners were superrrr loud -_- to the point where you could only hear the beat to a song. Was there even music playing? Ehh ..Lest we forget, SoCo is a restaurant, not a lounge so be considerate of your speaking volume. The scene was nice though, young crowd. I'd come here again. Most likely. Maybe. It's in Bklyn. Check it out though and scratch it off your list of restaurants to visit. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service everOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Took my girlfriend and her daughter out for lunch. Te place was slow. We order a bottle of wine. Which was so good, and a strawberry lemonade for the Baby. Two couple came in about 10 minutes after us an a group of five people also came in. Their orders all came before ours and we ordered before them. The manager didn't even try to satisfy us or even showed he cared so we paid for the wine and left as soon as the food came about about 1 and a half hour after the fact. Would never go back to this place very slow service. Sucks!!!!!!Special Features:
- EatingNowDined on 9/21/2014Service was great, drinks were even better! Bar was a full and so was the dining room ~ and every soul seemed happy as a clam, myself included.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!almin1204VIPDined on 9/18/2014I'm a regular at Soco and it's one of the best in the city, for comfort food and southern cuisine!Special Features:
- Thumbs up!!Food4LifeDined on 9/18/2014Food ✅ drinks✅ service✅ ambience✅ hot spot✅ Chic✅ What's not to love 👍👍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatTeddyTeddDined on 9/13/2014Very nice mature place with a mature crowd. Good vibesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Southern GoodChardjDined on 9/13/2014Food was great. If you're a good lover and you like to try exciting and new food. This is the spot. Had the Pecan Crusted Pork Chops and this was a hit. The SoCo Sangria was also delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoCoAshleyDined on 9/13/2014This is my second time here and I absolutely love the food and how vibrant the atmosphere is. Both times I've been here, the waiters have had great outgoing personalities and were well informed about the menu and gave recommendations before I could even look at the menu (which was great because I'm beyond indecisive.) The only thing I would have to say is for he waiters to pace themselves a little better to attend to their tables more often. I'm not one to love the attention of a waiter harassing me every two seconds to ask me how I'm doing, but a little but more attention would have been good. I would have ordered more drinks. All in all, I loved my experience here and will come back for brunch. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Velvet Waffles w/Fried ChickenNikkiNYCVIPDined on 9/13/2014My two favorite items on the menu are the Red Velvet Waffles w/Fried Chicken and a side of collard greens. The ambiance is fantastic with the music and the vibe of the waitstaff and customers. The cocktails are extremely well made and so tasty!! I love Soco a little bit more each time I visit if that is even possible because I love SOCO!Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014This was my first time going to Soco and definitely see myself and my family coming here again. Nice little spot. The waffles and chicken was the highlight of the meal! Also the mac and cheese was a pleasure as well.Special Features:
- Soco is awesome!PeacockDined on 9/6/2014I've been hearing about the chicken and waffles for a while and finally got to try it. I fell in love and it's the best! There's nothing to complain about because everything was on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014Great time with hubby & son... For my birthday brunch...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceBobMinchakDined on 9/5/2014I am glad SoCo is around the corner from my home. Dinners have always been great and have a Southern feel to the menu. Not that many place have Fried Chicken and Waffles on the menu. You have to have a drink or two at the bar before sitting down, no short shots here. The wine list isn't big, but it complements the menu well. I will be back again, and again, and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good soul food in a crowdy spotTravelerDined on 9/5/2014I visited Soco with my familiy on a Friday night. The place is moderm and lovely. The service quite attentive and the food is worth the trip from Manhattan. I recommend the chicken with waffel and the california rolls. The noise is the only negative note. There where many big noisy groups there and was not posible to keep a quiet talk in our party while dining.Special Features:
- great spoyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014This was and absolutely unexpected gem. Its in a good neighborhood parking was fine. The food was amazing and the drinks were on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Soco'sloe2958Dined on 8/30/2014I think Soco's is the best place every food is great the service is great waiters are cute and very kid friendly.oh almost forgot the unlimited mimosas awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but...Jazz830Dined on 8/29/2014I dined on 8/29/14 for my fiance's 35th birthday. We had a party of 4. The waiter, Alex, informed us that there would be a wait for the food. but he would bring us complimentary cornbread. He returned with 3 pieces of cornbread and someone in my party said "hey we need one more piece". Alex responded wth "well it's free" with a tone that basically translated into why are you asking for an extra piece as if you're paying for it. I was a bit shocked at his reply since after all he offered the cornbread to us. why offer something if you aren't going to accommodate the entire party? Other than that everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved ittammieNcaDined on 8/27/2014Went there with my son, boyfriend and grandma. Loved the fried chicken and red velvet waffle. Very creative and fun to eat. The butternut squash was incredible too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Low key food by the WillamsburgLyfeisFoodDined on 8/26/2014Soco is absolutely the best soul food spot you can find. I've been here so many times and every time the food tickles my taste buds. The mac and Cheese or Creole Gumbo are a sure please. Not to mention there famous Fried Chicken & Red Velvet waffles, are delight able. If your looking for a restaurant that offers class without all the hoopla and good food. This is it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Velvet Waffles!!!hungryhippoDined on 8/24/2014The food was delicious and interesting enough to go back and try something else. Definitely a fun - loud - spot to check out.Special Features:
- Good Eats, Mediocre Service.HonestCritiques20Dined on 8/23/2014The food was great, I wished the Mac and cheese didn't have such much garlic. The buttermilk waffle with the fried chicken was outstanding! Service wise my waitress was terrible, it's understood that things can be a little busy, but that's no excuse for poor service. It can get pretty loud, but it isn't unbearable. Great lighting, good food, definitely would refer this restaurant for big groups, birthdays, etc. The location was pretty decent, very diverse, very live, but not too busy! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service IssuesBrunchDined on 8/17/2014I took my friend for brunch on 8/17/2014. The drinks took 15 mins to arrive. We tried the Ginger Flame and Habiscus Agrave Margarita both look great in a glass but didn't taste great. He brought us tap water with no ice in the glass. We asked for cornbread since our entree was taking a while, they charge $5. It was busy and very loud. I got the Pecan Crusted Pork Chop. I am not a fan of collard greens so the waiter offered string beans, then spinach, then told me they didn't have enough of either! After checking with the kitchen two times. All they had was the collard greens, which were fine. The Manager Clive was apologetic took care of us a the end. Beware they charge $5 for a can of coke!