Society Hill Society
400 S 2nd St
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Society Hill Society
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.societyhillsociety.com/
- Phone: 2672731434x
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: Monday - Sunday 4:00pm - 1:00am
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Yun Fuentes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Off-site catering is available.
- Special Events: Please contact us for any special event requests.
A word from Society Hill Society
A Philadelphia tavern that is historically inspired and locally grounded.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Society Hill Society reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (31)vibrant bar scene (13)romantic (12)special occasion (10)late-night find (7)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (5)good for groups (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- American tavern with nostalgic menuucityfacultymemberVIPDined on 9/27/2014Physically evocative of colonial times, spacious and comfortable, manageable noise level that allows for conversation. Nice wooden booths and ceilings. Thoughtful menu of American dishes like chicken and waffles. A limited menu -- one soup (peach gazpacho with texture from chopped vegetables), one salad (interesting ingredients like fresh succotash), four entrees, two desserts. Starters offer the most choices-- tasty pierogies; chicken croquettes (better than mozzerella sticks but mostly batter and breading). The limited menu makes me think it will be hard to draw much repeat business. Perhaps it will succeed on its bar ambience rather than as a dinner destination.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad it was Restaurant WeekNikkiMDined on 9/19/2014I usually have really good luck when picking new places to try during restaurant Week but not so much this time. The meal started off well with the pierogies appetizer but the main dish, Amish chicken and waffles was very bland. The bar tender was very good though, he knew what questions to ask in order to ascertain what you liked to drink and then recommend something on their menu. So, I would say go here if you just want beer and apps.Special Features:
- good bar, disappointing restaurant146restaurantssampledVIPDined on 9/19/2014my chicken croquettes were somewhat liquid inside and difficult to scoop up on a flat stone plate with a fork. my pork belly included a large amount of un-rendered, floppy soft fat that I choose not to eat. the meaty portions of the pork belly were delicious and the aux jous and gnocchi (?) were wonderful.
- Hip food in a Colonial tavernChickieBVIPDined on 9/19/2014Headhouse Square always seems to be going through changes. This one's a keeper. Where The Artful Dodger used to be, Society is a cute, cozy spot with a big central copper-topped bar, wooden ceilings and a feeling that wenches should be slamming tankards of beer onto the sturdy tables. Our servers, in fact, were really friendly and helpful and didn't slam anything. I started out with a rich Imperial Stout and a cup of cold peach soup -- not sweet and fruity but rich and savory. After that, chicken and waffles -- really tender chicken with a tasty, not pasty, cream sauce. My dessert, apple pie in a cup, was more crumbs than apples, but my husband's chocolate pie was a great blend of flavors and textures. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Might still be waiting for our foodsizialDined on 9/14/2014Wasn't aware it was Restaurant Week but thought we could order from the regular menu also if we chose. Not the case - bad news for the vegetarian I was with - no veg entrees! Our server seemed nice enough but I sensed it was a tense night for the kitchen, despite the limited menu. I tried to relax as we got our drinks and a bowl of chips to start. First course was taking so long that we got another bowl of chips and a rushed apology. Close to an hour later we were offered a meal comp for the delay so we chilled and finally got course one. After another 45 of being avoided, it was late and we decided to cut our losses before receiving the rest of our meal!! We were given no explanation until we asked for one at the end.
- Terrific!nekoloVIPDined on 9/14/2014I've been to SHS many times and it's always delicious! Highly recommend. A great neighborhood spot.Special Features:
- Great Head House Dining ExperiencekrzwVIPDined on 9/8/2014Really enjoyed dining there. The food was very good with all fresh ingredients and great service. Would definitely go back. My only criticism is that a took a really long time for our main courses to be served and the restaurant was not very crowded. It was not a problem as we were not in a rush, just getting hungry.Special Features:
- Closed For Repairsfoodisfun50Dined on 9/7/2014We booked through Open Table and continually called the restaurant to confirm. We arrived after a one hour drive and found a sign outside saying Kitchen Closed For Repairs. Shame on you , Society Hill, for not alerting us to the fact you were closed. We had a fabulous brunch at Talula's Garden and won't be bothering to try you again!
- Dinner PerfectiondowntowndinerVIPDined on 9/3/2014Came to dinner here on a work trip, based on a friend's reco. Having never been to this area of Philly, we were delighted with the cute street the restaurant was located on. We started with the pickled asparagus and pierogis per the server's reco - so delicious we sopped up every last bite of the truffle onion jam. Then we were sold on an order of the chicken and waffles - epic - and the sea scallops. Everything was cooked to perfection, appropriately portioned and filled us up in a good way. Plus our server was hilarious and added to the jovial ambiance. Overall this will be on top of our list next time we're back in Philly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked Being Part of this SocietySarckVIPDined on 8/8/2014This was our second time here and we enjoyed the ambiance, beautiful space, and fantastic cocktails as much as the first. Plus service was top-notch. While it offers a small menu, it's a tasty menu of comfort food with a twist. The pierogies with truffle are amazing--I could eat 50 (literally--they're small and light). The chicken pot pie croquettes were good, but didn't quite hit the mark. The deconstructed pasta was well-cooked, plentiful, and each bite was different. While we loved the cocktails, there's something that doesn't sit quite right with me when my drink is more than my food (drink was $15, and a small drink for that price). We'll be back, but likely for brunch or a quick drink after work, when we can get more bang for the buckSpecial Features:
- Delicious dining - great atmospherekhopeDined on 8/7/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Society Hill Society. Everything on the menu sounded delicious. it was so hard to pick what to order and we weren't disappointed. Service was great too.Special Features:
- Won't go backreneeDined on 8/2/2014Entree portions barely size of appetizer. Scallop entree had two scallops. Pasta entree had four squares of pasta. It was embarrassing. Waiter awful. Did not inform us about portions. Food just ok. Will be shocked if this pace makes it.
- Welcome Addition to NeighborhoodjaperjVIPDined on 7/22/2014This place is great. The food is excellent and unusual, but not inaccessible or contrived. The items are carefully balanced and seasonal. The cocktail list is interesting and adventurous and the bartender can make almost anything. The service is attentive without being intrusive. I've been here about 6 times since it opened and it's never disappointed. Recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014Food was mediocre- nothing extraordinary. Cocktails had potential and could have been interesting but didn't taste that interesting on my palate. Ambience was great- very cute place.Special Features:
- Society Hill SocietyMargaretVIPDined on 7/19/2014A wonderful space but the tavern style food is only fair. Service was disorganized and the bar was the main attraction. If you are under 30 you will enjoy the bar.
- Very goodmrstDined on 7/19/2014I would recommend this restaurant. The food was gourmet quality and the decor is something unique without being pretentious. That said, I did feel a little like the staff was running around a lot. Maybe because the place is new-ish. The staff lacked smiles. This did not detract from the experience.Special Features:
- Safe HarborOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/14/2014Warm and welcoming retreat place during a summer storm! Food was fabulous--especially enjoyed the scallops. Accompanying corn cakes had same size and appearance as the scallops, but the contrasting texture and flavor were perfection. Welcome, needed addition to Society Hill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a trythediscriminatingconsumerDined on 7/4/2014Food was excellent. Service energetic although could have been a little more attentive as wine glasses emptied. All four members of our group are experienced (and critical) diners. The brisket, pork and scallops got particularly high marks. Room is very wide open, so not the place for a quiet, secluded dinner. For former habitués of the old Artful Dodger, be prepared for a major facelift. We live in the neighborhood and will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- First impressions hard to shake!EricVIPDined on 7/1/2014I went to this restaurant with much anticipation but came away with a mixed review. Our waiter, Steve, was one of the best servers I've had in the city in awhile and he is a keeper...smart, funny, good explaining the menu. He was great. The evening we went the HVAC was not working and the place was very warm. The food is good but the portions leave something to be desired. Was not impressed with the deserts either. The ambiance is pleasant enough but not exceptional. With so many amazing places to eat in the city, I was hoping to find the next good thing but came away merely satisfied. I was disappointed because I wanted to really come away excited and I left hot and not impressed at all.
- Great food and vibeTarzansgirlVIPDined on 6/29/2014Although our waitress seemed a tad clueless and ditzy, we'd return here in a second. Eggs were prepared perfectly, the bloody Mary was insanely good, and the asparagus decadently sautéed in butter. Liked that sourdough was used for the toast. We scarfed everything down in about 8 minutes flat, and yes, it was GOOD.Special Features:
- Loving Society Hill SocietyJoyner5Dined on 6/27/2014Having eaten there twice and and once at the bar I have become a fan. The wine list is small but really good for my taste. The cocktails are quite interesting. Fish was delish. Pork cheeks were great. Oysters and root chips are my favorite starters so far. I have taken three friends and all were quite impressed. That little corner is finally a great place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackieVIPDined on 6/22/2014SHS is one of my new go-tos for late night good food. Relaxed atmosphere, excellent cocktails, and delicious.Special Features:
- Satisfiedthx4playingDined on 6/21/2014Our meal was enjoyable. I had the olive oil poached fluke, which was fantastic, and my girlfriend had the pork belly, which she thought was really good until she tasted the fluke. Service was friendly and the atmosphere was cozy and delightfully rustic. Those who were sad to see the neighborhood dive bar, the Artful Dodger, go away should be pleased to see SHS open in its place.Special Features:
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014The peach soup was refreshing and delicious. The veal special was equally amazing and I appreciated the fact that we were able to order this special dishes a la carte. Our server was attentive.Special Features:
- virmacDined on 6/5/2014We tried Society Hill Society on the recommendation of friends. They weren't wrong! Excellect food, great staff and atmosphere. We will definitely be back - and are happy to recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 15 reviews are from the Society Hill Society reviews archive.
- GREAT ADDITION TO THE NEIGHBORHOODBOBBIEDined on 6/1/2014THE FOOD WAS FRESH AND INTERESTING. THE SERVICE WAS FRIENDLY AND WELL INFORMED. REALLY ENJOYED IT.Special Features:
- Love at HeadhouseFoodupDined on 5/24/2014Finally some new and excellent love from the restaurant scene at Headhouse. Authentic warmth, interesting modern take on old school regional food, and fantastic cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SensationalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2014The food, the ambiance, the service - all sensational.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaurenFVIPDined on 5/10/2014The food and drinks were terrific but the service was not. We waited a long time for each round of food/drinks and had trouble getting our waiter's attention. I hope this is a function of it still being newly opened.Special Features:
- Pleasant EveningSusanDined on 5/10/2014Fancy cocktails were a bit "pricy". We had scallops and our friends has the steak. Both were terrific. Service was "just" the right amount of attentiveness. We were able to "linger" a bit which was very considerate given a Saturday Night. Would definitely dine here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was ok but too expensive.KaFaVIPDined on 5/9/2014The menu is limited. Great cocktails. But food is alright. I would not spend $150 a couple for a meal here again. The potato pancake with salmon was inedible as it was charred. Sent it back and did not get another. The rest of the food was ok but very overpriced.
- Pennsylvania Dutch-Hipster CuisineTrishaVIPDined on 5/9/2014Great location, great atmosphere ....food too pretentious. Had a difficult time finding something I would like. ( Smoked trout with egg salad as an example.). Would love it if they took their hamburger appetizer and made it into an entree with some fancy shoestring potatoes for those not as adventuresome. If they had a few more traditional items gussied up a bit, I think the restaurant would be a HUGE success. I would love to love this restaurant.
- I want into this society!SarckVIPDined on 5/8/2014My friend works here and raved about it. So we stopped by for dinner. From the beautifully decorated space to the drinks to the menu offerings this place was top notch. We started with cocktails which were inventive and tasty (liberal arts degree and woozles/boozes? Whatever it was called it was delicious with a kick of rhubarb.) the mushroom side dish was outrageous with a chestnut crema, exotic mushrooms and a sweet touch we couldn't decipher. The duck scrapple frisée was delicious, also with a sweet little something something that added to the flavor profile. And the scallops were served with corn cakes that looked like the scallops--and we're almost as tasty. Excited to go back for their new brunch and try the sticky bun French toast.Special Features:
- Artful ImprovementcallowhillsnacksterDined on 5/7/2014We were curious to see what had taken the place of the empty Artful Dodger spot. The ambience inside was enjoyable, with a rustic feel. The martinis, while small, were very well made. The pierogis were excellent. My friend had the sea bass, which was quite salty, but he still enjoyed it. The duck was cut in a crescent shape, which made my medium rare request more medium to medium well. Despite the disappointment in the temperature request, the ingredients it was paired with were excellent. The service was very good, and my friend enjoyed the doughnuts as his dessert. Overall, a good meal, but I probably wouldn't return for the price.Special Features:
- Food and Drink a' PlentyPureEnergyVIPDined on 5/6/2014Amazing regard to the space! Service staff was well represented and took great care of all guests. Food was AMAZING!!! Soups, scallops, latkes...all GREAT! Cocktail were great as well. The punch was under whelming (needed more acid), but great for what it was. Overall 10!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014I loved this place! Great Ambience, seemed to attract a very eclectic mix of customers of all ages. Food was delicious, especially the "toasts" and the "Duck Scrapple Salad". My cocktail, although maybe a little expensive, "Witch's Sabbath" was possibly one of the best I've ever had! Our waiter was great. I will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Addition To HeadhouseJaywl3Dined on 4/30/2014This somewhat rustic/historic upscale bar and restaurant has character, charm, and class, and is a great addition to Headhouse. The menu isn't large, but the food is imaginative, well prepared, and delicious. The three sided copper bar is a nice place to have a cocktail or glass of wine before dinner. Those over 30 who appreciate quality will feel especially comfortable here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Notch AboveDebDVIPDined on 4/26/2014Drinks, food, and atmosphere. All Great! Duck phenomenal. White Asparagus on Toasts delicious. Olives sounds so simple but delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So glad this place is here!sakiVIPDined on 4/24/2014Society Hill Society is gorgeous--the old Artful Dodger has been completely re-made. My group of 4 tasted a variety of cocktails and all of them were unique and excellent (made with herbs, tinctures, etc.). I had pierogies, which were incredibly tasty. The scallops were cooked perfectly and accompanied by delicious corn cakes. In sum, great cocktails and a sophisticated food program. As a neighborhood resident, I'm looking forward to being here a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem IndeedGirlfoodieVIPDined on 4/18/2014Finally, the perfect complement to Society Hill. The once Artful Dodger has been transformed into an amazing space where you will find great drinks and food. While the menu is limited, it's perfectly done. The pierogi's and potato pancakes were perfect for sharing. The duck breast, as one of my friends stated, was the best she had ever had. I had the pork belly which was also outstanding. The atomoshphere is inviting and there is a sophisticated buzz from local neighbors as well as those who just stumbled in from head house square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.