3665 Sacramento St.
San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caffesociale.com/
- Phone: 4159213200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Executive Chef: Tia Harrison
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the General Manager for a conversation on the details of your unique event.
- Entertainment: The staff is very entertaining as well as very knowledgeable dining consultants!
A word from Sociale
Sociale (say - "SO-SHEE-AH-LAY!") was born in the bistros of Florence and raised here in Presidio heights. Laughter and Italian music are heard floating up from the star-lit, heated patio greeting you from the discreet garden alley below. Families and friends leaving the frenetic pace of the city behind can experience a lighter and decidedly more Italian mood celebrating in our new private dining room, the traditional room or on the patio as the irresistible scents of warm pastas, herb-infused meats, and the sweet honey and nut coated sfingi with vanilla bean gelato shake permeate the surrounding space. Bewitching and eclectic wines from Italy and California complement the weekly changing menus that Chef Tia Harrison crafts with joy and delight for our neighborhood friends!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sociale reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (79)fit for foodies (56)romantic (56)great for outdoor dining (53)special occasion (42)notable wine list (32)great for lunch (16)good for groups (10)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- porkersDined on 10/11/2014This isn't where you go to be seen; it is where you go to eat great Italian food, with loved ones. Fried olives are great, Calamari was tender and grilled perfectly, ink squid risotto with scallops great, main courses where also very good. Each plate had its own tastes and textures and was wonderful. The staff knew their menu and wines, was helpful and on top of it. If you like Italian food - this is a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always superbrichardVIPDined on 10/8/2014Been visiting sociale for 10 years and never had a bad meal - perfect cooking, complex flavors - and nice vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great eveningDHTravelsDined on 10/8/2014The food was great and the service and atmosphere was amazing. This is a great hide-away spot in a great neighborhood. I will be returning here often.Special Features:
- DismissedDismissedVIPDined on 10/2/2014Wait Person and manager were defensive and dismissive when I complained that I was not given a quiet table as I requested because I wear hearing aids. We were seated in an auxiliary room directly next to a very loud table of 8. Apparently management forgot who the customer was and that living in San Francisco we have many options equal or better than Sociale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique neighborhood restaurantTheaterGoerDined on 10/1/2014Wonderful ambiance, and a great staff! Food is interesting and well prepared and they have an extensive wine list. Limited number of vegetarian options, so we shared them all (and they were very tasty)! Not cheap, but in line with a fine dining experience in San Francisco. Unlike other venues, the noise level is low and you can actually carry on a conversation here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem of a Place!FoodyoneVIPDined on 10/1/2014You cannot beat the combination of outstanding food in such a charming setting! The Branzino was superb.....fresh and delicious whole fish! The bread pudding was also terrific! We received a great wine recommendation as well.....lots of great wine choices! On past visits we have enjoyed their outstanding pasta dishes as well. We sat outdoors on the absolutely charming patio! This place is a true gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeighborDined on 9/20/2014Wine list was a little challenging. Special pasta of the day was bland and the small pieces of lobster did not have any flavor nor any elasticity -- may have been frozen. Service was good but noise level is high - we sat across from each other and could not hear each other talk. They have expanded into an adjacent area at the bottom of the courtyard walkway - we were fortunate that they could relocate us to the main dinning area which has more warmth and charm.
- Exceeds ExpectationsJohnSFVIPDined on 9/20/2014Service was superlative, food was great including pasta special and pork chop, wine selection varied, choice of 3 dining areas and good overall ambience. Loved room to left side as walk in from street. This is place that hits on all cylinders, seemingly effortlessly!Special Features:
- Food just not very gooddrseussDined on 9/19/2014The grilled squid entree was served nearly cold; the beef was bland; the fresh tomatoes mushy, and the bread slightly stale. We left feeling angry at what we had been charged for the experience. A cute place, and the staff was attentive and appropriate, but the food itself was just not very good. Sociale is far too expensive for the quality you get.
- EnjoyableRichmondmanDined on 9/18/2014We had a very nice dinner. Bacon-wrapped Duck and whole fish were excellent, as was the grilled Calamari and Smoked Mozzarella Caprese. Pasta with duck was underwhelming. Very good desserts. Extensive Italian wine list. Knowledgable and friendly staff. Nice combination of indoor and outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- janetVIPDined on 9/17/2014Sociale is always a delightful experience - - - the food is superb, the ambiance the best and the service very pleasant. This lunch trip the service was a bit overwhelmed and slower than usual. No worries I will be backSpecial Features:
- ReniDined on 9/11/2014Excellent, other than service too rushed, even though the restaurant was not full-up, lunch time and mid week!Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/9/2014This is the first time I was disappointed in my food at Sociale. I ordered the "flat bread", but it was spongy and doughy. I ate the topping only and left the bread. To me, flat bread means thin and crisp, not spongy. Doubt I will ever go back.Special Features:
- Uninspired with a side of dramaLuv2dineVIPDined on 9/5/2014We were disappointed in Sociale. The food was boring and my $33 filet was served cold and definitely not worth the price. The only thing worth a mention was the fettuccini special that evening. The sommelier set the tone of our experience when he became upset with us 5 mins into service because we changed our minds and requested a full bottle instead of 2 glasses. Mind you, nothing had been poured yet! He huffed away, came back and poured while clearly irritated, to the point I actually had to ask him "are you upset with us?". He stormed away and refused to acknowledge us again. Really??? We won't be back.
- LoudBaywandererVIPDined on 8/28/2014This restaurant was so loud on a weekday night that it was very difficult to hold a conversation. The food was adequate but nothing more than adequate. The sense I got is that they are turning out the plates and not focusing on excellence.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/28/2014Always very good and a real asset in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeEtchDined on 8/26/2014Sociale is consistently a treat. I always get at least one new dish (but always include the duck papperdelles), and have yet I be disappointed. A real SF gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!bestinsfDined on 8/25/2014I brought my friends from Vancouver BC to experience a great SF neighborhood restaurant. My friends have travelled the world and are well educated in eating great food. Our meal, wine and service were almost perfect! I am sure they will tell all of their friends about Sociale! Thank you. kbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little GemVinophileVIPDined on 8/23/2014Hidden away, directly across from Spruce, is a neighborhood restaurant that aims higher than the category. You would not stumble on it as it is a short walk down a path to an outdoor dining spot (abundant heat lamps) and an intimate indoor space. While it can get noisy, it's not obnoxious. Food is a cut above, salads, pasta and pork being the high points. Extensive Italian wine offerings and a knowledgeable sommelier to guide you.Special Features:
- sociale encounterjdeatsDined on 8/23/2014Looking for a private, out of the way, and intimate food experience we found Sociale and couldn't have been more pleased Everything we tasted was extraordinary. The experience was in large part due to our waiter, Steve, who, with knowledge but no pretense, guided us through food and wine. He did not try to provide entertainment, only exquisite but friendly service. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunlunchDined on 8/14/2014Needed a better wine list and less expensive by the glass. The food was great and the waiter was also great. Presentation was lovely. We will come back on occasion.Special Features:
- Intimate Hideaway2YourHealthDined on 8/9/2014We were looking for something outstanding but somewhat off the beaten path of the SF food scene - we found it! Clean, classy decor. Noise level energetic without being overwhelming. Tables were nicely spread apart and both inside and outside were inviting and cozy. The food was fresh with a great mix of flavors. Our waiter was attentive and had us try two wines before we settle on (just) a half bottle, which we found very thoughtful. Began with the watermelon and burrata salad which was truly outstanding, as well as the cauliflower salad which was also delicious, though less unique. Entrees were branzino and asparagus lasagna. My vote is for the lasagna, but the brazino was also done very nicely.Special Features:
- Special dinnerEbeatsDined on 8/4/2014Sociale is great for a special occasion. I wish I could afford to eat there more regularly! The staff is terrific and very knowledgeable- particularly about the extensive wine list. The food was very good- appetizers were incredible and entrees were very good, though I think the seasoning was off just a bit on the asparagus lasagna. I would happily come back and try one of the other entrees. Overall, a terrific dinner and I'd definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentEats4meDined on 8/4/2014Great food service and ambiance. A definite spot for any kind of group, small or large.Special Features:
- YummySmileVIPDined on 8/1/2014The pappardelle with duck was out of this world. So much flavor, so delicious. The service and the food are superb. The sommelier wine recommendations were right on with what we were looking for. The server was very knowledgeable about the menu and helped us order the must haves at Sociale! We had the cheese plate, grilled squid and squash, parpadelle with duck, asiago cheese torte and wagyu Bavette steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy Date NightKateDined on 8/1/2014We went to Sociale for our 2 year anniversary and just last week for a fancy date night, both times we had a great time- delicious food and great ambiance.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningAlyceDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I celebrated our 32nd wedding anniversary at Sociale. Upon arriving we were given champagne, which was followed by a delicious meal. Our waitress was very professional, but also sociable. All in all it was a very nice evening at Sociale.Special Features:
- Sociale - Good timewineanddineDined on 7/21/2014We went to Sociale to celebrate our daughter's Birthday. We were a group of 5 and sat on the patio. It was a lovely evening and the food and service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden spot for great food24dinnerVIPDined on 7/18/2014We are very happy we decided to try Sociale. We enjoyed the food and were impressed with the wine recommended by one of our team of helpers. We will definitely return for authentic Italian cooking.Special Features:
- BombaDined on 7/17/2014The high points of Sociale are that it is very elegant for a neighborhood spot and it has a quiet atmosphere so you can easily converse with your dining companions. The food does not excite me. Pasta dishes seem heavy, and shrimp in my latest visit was tired.
- fetterVIPDined on 7/12/2014We always love going to Sociale. My wife ran into many friends there.Special Features:
- Very goodSFgalDined on 7/10/2014Very interesting menu. The food was very good, and the service was great. I can't say it's the most amazing Italian restaurant I've been to in San Francisco, but it's certainly a more interesting and creative take on Italian than most.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!africanqueen9999Dined on 7/1/2014Sociale never disappoints, it is always excellent, cozy with great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Like ClockworkOneOldCopDined on 6/30/2014One wants a clock to keep good time. One wants a restaurant to be consistent. Since we live in Texas and Sociale is in San Francisco, I cannot speak to the day to day consistency, but we have visited there often enough over the years to have noticed if Sociale was not consistent. The service, the food and the atmosphere have been the same, fantastic, every time we have visited, regardless of the day of the week. This visit was no different. We brought members of our family who live in the bay area, but never took our advice to dine at Sociale. They were impressed and said they would return. I won't describe the meals, but there were no leftovers to take home. I will say the Chocolate Oblivion Cake and Sfingi (see menu) are a must!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/27/2014The apps and desserts were great but the entrees were sorely lacking. The sea bass we had was majority under seasoned and pretty unimpressive in general.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/27/2014Warm and comfortable with a great staff and very good foodSpecial Features:
- WonderfulLANAKDined on 6/27/2014We just got back from spending 3 weeks in Italy - great food, great wine, and great dining "culture". It was very hard to "face" our restaurants where you feel like they want you out before you even got in.... and there is also the food part. Yes, we do have tons of restaurants but you can count the good ones on your fingers... Sociale was unexpectedly amazing. We live in the neighborhood but always end up in Spruce across the street. Well honestly, as the food goes, Sociale was better. Every single dish we had was creative, perfectly seasoned and cooked to perfection. ... Way to go! Plus they have a beautiful outdoor space as well!Special Features:
- PerfectionBillVIPDined on 6/26/2014In my mind, the perfect dining experience for people who want great food, great wine, great service, quiet and comfortable ambiance.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/24/2014Always very good. An asset to the neighborhood. We are lucky to have them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1097 reviews are from the Sociale reviews archive.
- LingDined on 6/19/2014Nice but the noise level was ear splitting the night we were there. Food was good, not great. As a neighborhood venue I would return. Good atmosphere and very accommodating staff.Special Features: