3665 Sacramento St.
San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caffesociale.com/
- Phone: (415) 921-3200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Executive Chef: Tia Harrison
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the General Manager for a conversation on the details of your unique event.
- Entertainment: The staff is very entertaining as well as very knowledgeable dining consultants!
A word from Sociale
Sociale (say - "SO-SHEE-AH-LAY!") was born in the bistros of Florence and raised here in Presidio heights. Laughter and Italian music are heard floating up from the star-lit, heated patio greeting you from the discreet garden alley below. Families and friends leaving the frenetic pace of the city behind can experience a lighter and decidedly more Italian mood celebrating in our new private dining room, the traditional room or on the patio as the irresistible scents of warm pastas, herb-infused meats, and the sweet honey and nut coated sfingi with vanilla bean gelato shake permeate the surrounding space. Bewitching and eclectic wines from Italy and California complement the weekly changing menus that Chef Tia Harrison crafts with joy and delight for our neighborhood friends!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Sociale - Best Restaurants in Presidio Heights ›
Sociale reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (82)fit for foodies (61)romantic (56)great for outdoor dining (53)special occasion (41)notable wine list (35)great for lunch (16)good for groups (13)hot spot (6)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- i hate to share this gem withjanetVIPDined on 5/29/2008i hate to share this gem with others it is truly a serene, delightful dining experience.Special Features:
- We were so disappointed! HaveOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/26/2008We were so disappointed! Have been to Sociale many times, and our dinner was just not up to par- uncooked pasta, poorly informed sommelier, slow service. I don't think we'll go back again unfortunately.
- Outstanding service and atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2008Outstanding service and atmosphere. The food accomplishes what they set out to do. Well done. Too bad I chose the arctic char, a fish that's not going to blow your socks off in any capacity.Special Features:
- The food is going downhill.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/23/2008The food is going downhill. My wife had the fried olive appetizer that has typically been very good, but was overcooked this time. I was disappointed to find that the wild boar pasta had been taken off of the menu and replaced with buckwheat duck pappardalle, which was not very good. Overall, the service and the ambiance were solid, but the food was not memorable.Special Features:
- I ordered a hamburger andSFvbVIPDined on 5/22/2008I ordered a hamburger and it was cooked well on a fresh roll. The outside seating (which is limited) is worth it. I was very disappointed with the service though. Our waiter did not come by for a long while and never checked up on us when our food came and we waited forever for the dessert menu and bill. We had to ask the bus boy for the dessert menu and he never came back. We had to ask the waiter and bus boy the same question multiple times before we got a response.Special Features:
- lunch was nice, food was good.ChotoboydaveDined on 5/20/2008lunch was nice, food was good. service came with an extra too much attitude, but otherwise worthy to recommend.Special Features:
- I looked at my bill when IOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/17/2008I looked at my bill when I got home and saw that I was charged $2 for tap water. While I understand the reasoning of this, I would have appreciated being told this in advance. I have been to Sociale on a number of occasion, but this particular evening it felt very claustrophobic, maybe because I was on a date. I thought it would be a romantic spot. It was difficult to have conversation because the couple next to us was very loud. I certainly won't go there again on a date. I think it will be quite a while before I return.
- Frankly, we were a bit disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/17/2008Frankly, we were a bit disappointed by the food, in part, because there was a hair in our starter. Then the fried olives were served very late in the meal and they were too hot to even eat then. Our server was apologetic about the hair but did not seem very attentive otherwise.Special Features:
- We sat by the kitchen andOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/16/2008We sat by the kitchen and in the way of a lot of foot traffic. I had made the reservations weeks ago on Open Table and did not request a better seating ( not having known about thr layout of the restaurant.); and they could not better accomodate us when we got there, as it was full . The hot weather did not help either! A person in our party asked if the lamb he ordered could be rare instead of medium rare, and the server said the chef sticks to medium rare staunchly...no negociation on how it is prepared. However, when the lamb arrived, half of the serving was well done! The server was gracious, took the lamb off of our bill and offered the table a free dessert: very appropriate.Special Features:
- Everyone enjoyed their lunchs,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/16/2008Everyone enjoyed their lunchs, food was tasty. Would go back again.Special Features:
- A delightful experience.SpiritofparisDined on 5/10/2008A delightful experience. Lunch here felt like a vacation in the Italian countryside. Really enjoyed it and will definately go back.Special Features:
- Food was delicious, as wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/9/2008Food was delicious, as was the wine. Our servers were all very nice, although the speed of the service was somewhat slow. Had to wait about 15-20 minutes after ordering until our appetizers came. Then waited an equal amount of time for entrees. Overall though, we had a great time and I would definitely recommend Sociale.Special Features:
- I dine at Sociale on a semi-regularOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/9/2008I dine at Sociale on a semi-regular basis and you have become one of my favorite restaurants in SF. Keep up the great work!Special Features:
- I have had so many great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/8/2008I have had so many great experiences at this restaurant-the food has always been fantastic and the service wonderful. However, this dinner was mainly disappointing from a service standpoint. Just as we would put down our forks, the bus person would swoop in to ask if we were finished. The sommelier emptied our bottle of wine into our glasses, even though the glasses were already full, a sign that they were in a hurry to turn the table. The coup de grace was when we were still eating our dessert and enjoying the last of our wine, and the check was deposited on the table. We felt rushed from start to finish!Special Features:
- Sociale is a sweet neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/7/2008Sociale is a sweet neighborhood spot - quiet and relaxed, which we were visiting for the first time in many years. I think we hit an off night for the kitchen, but the wait staff were very accommodating, and left us feeling like we ought to come back and give it another try.Special Features:
- Consistently friendly anddonnasfVIPDined on 5/7/2008Consistently friendly and efficient service. Great place to dine and have a civilized conversation without having to compete with noise. I love Sociale!Special Features:
- Wonderful, intimate spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 5/3/2008Wonderful, intimate spot. Attentive, but not overbearing service. My wife and I had a fantastic meal. I will most certainly come back.Special Features:
- Great location, very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/2/2008Great location, very friendly staff, never felt rushed! Can'at wait to return.
- I thought that the characterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/2/2008I thought that the character of this place was just so cute and unlike any other restaurant in San Francisco. I very much enjoyed Sociale.Special Features:
- I like this restaurant veryOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/2/2008I like this restaurant very much, but it was quite cold inside.Special Features:
- Simple but tasty food. TheLocalVIPDined on 5/2/2008Simple but tasty food. The pizzas are delicious, and the ceasar salad is made with a homemade dressing and anchovies. The only "ding" was the ridiculous charge of $5 for a glass of coca-cola. We had 2 cokes with ice for $10!Special Features:
- This restaurant is special.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/28/2008This restaurant is special. The service is outstanding and the food is even better. We will go back and take our friends.Special Features:
- I liked the restaurant, butOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/26/2008I liked the restaurant, but our service was spotty. They took a long time to get to us a take our orders. We were there late (9.15 reservation) and the staff seemed more interested in cleaning up than serving. We watched our waitress clean glass at the bar, while we waited to order.Special Features:
- Hi, Sociale was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/26/2008Hi, Sociale was very good. I did find the wine menu very expensive.Special Features:
- Terrible service, food delayedOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/26/2008Terrible service, food delayed and very little help in getting our situation remedied. I used to love this place but it has definitely gone downhill.
- I have had dinner here onceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/26/2008I have had dinner here once before as a surprise and I was looking forward to it but thought perhaps my memory of it was enhanced by the romance of my first visit. Not at all...and this was the first time to sit outside. Inside was very nice but outside really makes a difference. The food was excellent - butter lettuce and asparagus salad followed by the pork chop for one of us and puntarelle salad and fish stew for the other - with a half carafe of a Castel Nieve pinot (I think). The server was excellent. Special Note: As a San Franciscan, I thought your note about the Health Care Ordinance and the need to pass on $1 per cover was well-written. It was a great experience.Special Features:
- The food was not very goodsfdinerVIPDined on 4/25/2008The food was not very good and the service was indifferent and rushed. The prosecco on the menu was very sweet
- Very inexpensive dining, yetOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2008Very inexpensive dining, yet wonderful food and atmosphere. The service was great. We will definately return for a romantic dinner again.Special Features:
- I love Sociale, and this wasOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/19/2008I love Sociale, and this was the best meal we've had there. It is great for groups and kids outside. They have heaters, but I'm not brave enough to go when it's not warm.Special Features:
- The staff was very friendlyLANAKDined on 4/19/2008The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The sommelier was knowledgeable. The food was very nice. The restaurant is a perfect spot for a relaxing dinner out with friends, family or a date.Special Features:
- I would not recommend in adineoutDined on 4/18/2008I would not recommend in a city filled with great restaurants.
- I have been experiencing howBobeatswellVIPDined on 4/18/2008I have been experiencing how various restaurants are responding to the new SF health insurance requirement and commend Sociale on their $1 per person charge and the card which they hand out with the menu explaining their position on this issue. Much better than raising prices or charging a percentage of the bil.Special Features:
- I told them that I wantedOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 4/17/2008I told them that I wanted it to be special and they delivered for my friend's 75th birthday.Special Features:
- Food is good, not great. VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/15/2008Food is good, not great. Very difficult menu for my husband, but staff was most helpful. A wonderful neighborhood restaurant. Outside patio lovely and warm, even on a cold evening.Special Features:
- While the food was underwhelming,minnieVIPDined on 4/15/2008While the food was underwhelming, the service was very polished and the ambience very nice. I'd give it another go and probably stick to he simpler pasta dishes. it was our anniversary and although we showd up 10 minutes late a corner table was being held, which i thought was a very nice gesture.Special Features:
- very weak effort on the food.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2008very weak effort on the food. Service was adequate and that's all.
- For a small restaurant I thoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2008For a small restaurant I thought the menu had a good number of tempting choices, especially in the pasta/entee sections. We reserved early in the evening and by the end when the room was full, the volume was noticeable, but not too intrusive. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Food was hit or miss. WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/11/2008Food was hit or miss. Waiter was friendly and recommended some good wines, but there were long intervals between the food courses. Tables are cramped near the small bar area. Staff kept hitting my chair on there way to and from the kitchen. Cant say I'd go out of my way to come back.Special Features:
- I love this place. The serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/9/2008I love this place. The service is outstanding. I will come back here again.Special Features:
- If I lived in the neighborhood,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/5/2008If I lived in the neighborhood, I would be a regular! Liked the food, the wine and the service, but as others have noted, the desserts aren't as special as they should be.Special Features: