Social Restaurant & Bar
320 Washington Street
Newton, MA 02458Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Social Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.socialrestaurantandbar.com/
- Phone: (617) 244-4800
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily 11am - am
Sunday - Thursday: 11am - 10pm
Friday - Saturday: 11am to 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jared Hargreaves
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Customized catering menus created by chef. Everything from light appetizers to multi-course sit down dinners.
- Entertainment: Fridays & Saturdays 9pm
Featuring The Alex MacDougall Band
Van Morrison, Stevie Wonder, Beatles, Rolling Stones and more...
- Special Events: Available for any occasion, morning, afternoon and evenings.
A word from Social Restaurant & Bar
A casually upscale American restaurant & bar. Warm, inviting atmosphere and attentive, friendly staff. Daily lunch and dinner featured menu items. Validated parking day and night. Live entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Social Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (21)neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (18)vibrant bar scene (16)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (8)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)romantic (4)special occasion (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- my reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014food was average at best but priced like it should have been amazing and more innovative. The appetizers were fine but the entrees were so lacking in flavor and skill that we were quite dismayed at how the wait staff could bring these plates to the table. The lobster mac and cheese was dry and lacked lobster. the pork was over cooked and the sauce was far too sweet for the description on the menu. It seems to try hard but fail.
- Good Time at SocialSTeatsDined on 11/8/2014Had a fun night with a few other couples at Social Sat. night. Food was great, service was excellent and live music too for festive atmosphere when we hung around for after dinner drinks.Special Features:
- EM50VIPDined on 11/4/2014First time here - the food was excellent, nicely [resented and the service was great. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great Food. Super Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/3/2014I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food, the diversity of the menu and the attentive service we received. For me, this is a neighborhood find: I plan to make it a regular stop for food and drink.Special Features:
- Great service, OK foodjmeyumDined on 11/3/2014Our waiter was absolutely fabulous. I ordered the scallops and risotto dish and my husband ordered the spare ribs. The scallops were a bit on the small side (the smallest was about the size of my thumb nail) but the risotto was phenomenal. My husband, while he did enjoy his meal, ended up eating most of my risotto. I would come back, but order probably a burger. Or maybe just a side of risotto!Special Features:
- Terrible FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 11/1/20146 of us went - 6 of us had terrible meals! Including a desert which we shared! Dont go!
- UnderperformedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/1/2014Food pairings were odd with both hot and cold items on the same plate. Foods that are usually hot were cold which we were told was intentional! Appetizer portions were very small.
- Needs some workOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014Social is trying hard to be a top-flight restaurant, but it's not there yet. The flatbread pizza did not have enough cheese. The tuna with pad thai was served cold, although the waiter was very helpful in bringing a new hot serving. Even the beet chips weren't quite crunchy enough. Perhaps with more practice they will achieve the level of restaurant they are seeking, but at these prices there are better places in the area to eat. PS, the decor is really fun.
- readergirl87Dined on 10/25/2014It was just okay. Service was good, food was fine except for the fondue appetizer--it did not taste like real cheese.Special Features:
- Would not go backbgoldyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Simply put, this restaurant had lousy service and pretty bad food and was not cheap. It was empty on a Saturday night on the weekend of the Head of the Charles when every other place was packed. And it was very hard to find. I would be surprised if this place is still around in a year.
- try it!DrAudioVIPDined on 10/15/2014We were on the Mass Pike in a traffic jam and hungry. We got off at exit 17 and decided to go back to Social for dinner after a rather nice lunch during the Summer. We were very pleased. We had the Firecracker Shrimp which were crispy and delicious. I had the Boneless Short Ribs which were tender, gingery and perfect therapy for MassPike congestion. The accompanying gnocchi were a bit chewy but tasteful. My dining parter had the Salmon which was stellar. Both dishes were carefully presented and visually alluring. The setting is awful but the road noise is in audible. Free parking! (garage is a mess, under construction). Our waiter Brandon could not be more pleasant or helpful. Try it when you are in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- DissapointedpjbrVIPDined on 10/14/2014Read reviews and decided to try it. Server was efficient and helpful but food was disappointing... lobster roll was quite short on lobster (a lot of lettuce though) and brussel sprouts were too garlicky. I would wait until they straighten out the kitchen.
- JoesDinerVIPDined on 10/1/20142nd time here. Both times around 7 PM. Not crowded. Staff friendly & competent. Nice bar area (uncrowded), tables are not jammed close together as they are at several other Newton "local gems". Something for everyone on menu. Very convenient with free parking garage next door. Should be busier as food & service qualify for "local gem" status. You can come here relax and have a good meal without the noise & commotion associated with its competition.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth a return visitctetreauDined on 9/12/2014When we were looking for the restaurant we were not aware that it was attached to the hotel, so we missed it on the first pass and ended up on I-90. Oops! But once we figured it out, everything from there was perfect. Parking is easy and free (with validation) in the garage next to the hotel. All the servers/hostesses/busers were extremely nice and helpful. As soon as we cleared a plate or emptied a glass, someone was there to refill it. The drinks were good - both the wine and beer selections were great and the cocktail list was unique. We ordered the mussels frites for our appetizer and they were perfect. Then we got the scallops and the Atlantic salmon for our entrees. Both were very tasty. A great experience and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local placeLovefoodDined on 9/10/2014Food was good, waitress excellent and we were warmly greeted by the owner who made us feel welcome.Special Features:
- GoodMoonlightDined on 9/6/2014Went here for dinner with my family, overall happy with the place. Service was good, food was ok. Nice place to grab food and drinks and hang out. Not as busy as I was expecting for a Saturday night though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Solid Spot for a Meet-UpOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2014Had a dinner to catch up with a friend on a Tuesday night. It was pretty slow, which was good for not competing with loud noise, but it did have a bit of a "hotel restaurant" vibe. The food was pretty good. I had a cup of the tomato soup (sadly, no grilled cheese croutons when you don't get the whole thing). I also got a chicken cobb salad, which was tasty. I got a couple of craft beers that weren't cold enough. Parking was free with validation, and it was simple to jump back onto the pike -- both good practical considerations.Special Features:
- Last minute reservationLaurieDined on 9/2/2014Food and service were great! Prices are above average, but expected I suppose due to the location. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Best service, very good food!TeufDined on 8/28/2014We had amazing service here. The music was a wonderful selection of 1920's jazz that at one point we had to get up and dance to. In the other room, they had live music playing. The food was quite good. I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable fineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014The host greeted us very kindly; the service was excellent; the food was well presented and very tasty.Special Features:
- The following 74 reviews are from the Social Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Good, but could be betterYallaVIPDined on 7/15/2014My husband and I decided to try Social Restaurant & Bar after seeing so many positive reviews. The host and waitress were warm and welcoming, and service was prompt. Our starters were good, but could be improved. Our crab melt sliders were tasty, but too much lemon was added on the end that distracted from the overall taste. The hummous and tabbouli starter was quite good, but the servings of each were quite small considering the amount of very hardened pita bread sprinkled with zaatar provided. I'm a fan of hummous always having a dash of olive oil, as it was a little dry. Our mains were again good but my husband's steak was a bit overcooked. All in all however it was a good meal, and we'd go again (but maybe just over lunch).Special Features:
- NoneFoodieDined on 7/11/2014I would not come back. We ordered chicken salad and clam chowder soup with sandwich. My friends soup came cold. When she told this to waiter he asked if she wants him to heat it up. Who would want a cold soup and plus second attempt to put in microwave. Very bad offer. My salad came with no chicken. They had to bring chicken separately. He seemed nice and friendly buti am not coming back to this place again.Special Features:
- Next doorshimritVIPDined on 7/9/2014Social Is a welcome addition to the neighborhood! A nice, upscale restaurant, with good food, right in the neighborhood, and not too pricey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth it.birthdaygirlDined on 7/4/2014Very mediocre pizza! Not worth the calories! If one is to have pizza, there are more better places to have it. It also is lacking anything in the way of ambience. Very perfunctory. And the waitress was disinterested as well.
- First TimersAllAboutFoodPresentationDined on 6/30/2014Our first time here was great. I took my friend for her birthday due to her mentioning wanting to try it and its right around the corner from us. We started with the fondue and cherry gnocchi - then both got burgers which were to die for. I had asked with just bacon and they sent cheese on it, not a problem, but they ended up comping out beers due to it - which was above and beyond. That alone really wanted me to bring my business back here. Great food, nice environment, and tried a lot of new things. Strongbow cider is a great light cider beer. Being brought up in the restaurant industry - your expectations are always higher than usual - that being said... I'll be back!Special Features:
- Not sure about the foodEm06282014Dined on 6/28/2014My pasta was too oily and the BBQ chicken pizza was too sweet. Too bad because is a very convenient place in Newton.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/21/2014Food was poorly prepared: the steak was garlicky, the spinach was soggy spinach, and the French fries were limp. The seared tuna had no flavor. The salad had slimy lettuce. No salt and pepper on the tables.
- Great brunch spot!!LuvSocializingDined on 6/15/2014I have been here a couple times for dinner and had a pleasurable experience. But the sunday brunch is awesome! The pancake sliders with Nutella and bananas ... Very good. But the best part was the variety of the menu which offered something for everyone at my table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Addition to Newton CornerPumpkinHeadGalDined on 5/31/2014Social is a nice addition to the Newton Corner area. We were pleasantly surprised that this wasn't just another pub food place, but well thought out and executed dishes. We started with the Lobster sliders, highly recommend! My husband had the Filet Mignon and I had the Cobb Salad, both were fantastic! Our server was friendly and efficient, but not overbearing. If you're seeking a place to go out before heading into the city, definitely try out Social. Worth noting - parking in the garage at the Crown Plaza is cash only. The adjacent hotel does have an ATM in the lobby, but its still a pain to not be able to use a credit card if you're cashless that evening.Special Features:
- A+Joco4Dined on 5/18/2014We stayed at the Crowne Plaza while visiting our son @ Boston Colllege before his graduation and enjoyed a great dinner @ Social. It was so good, that we made a reservation for our pre-graduation family dinner - and it was great! The service was terrific, the staff was so accommodating! And the food was amazing. We only wish the short ribs were on the spring/summer menu! (We had them the first time we were there and they were the BEST.) We also had brunch at Social and it was delicious. If we lived in Newton, Social would be a restaurant we would go to all the time. (Unfortunately we live in NY. ) But it would be worth the 3-hour drive !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Despite location, pleasant surpriseBetsyVIPDined on 5/18/2014Didn't realize Social's location when I needed a last minute reservation close to Boston College. When we realized it was in the Ceown Plaza we were going to cancel but we checked it out and it turned out to be quite good. Drinks were fantastic and burgers and appetizers were great. If you can get past its location it's a good place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grad brunchNycfoodieDined on 5/18/2014Went here for Brunch graduation weekend. They accommodated our large group and we had excellent service. Food was great !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerHappyNeighborhoodGalVIPDined on 5/16/2014We were having trouble picking a dinner spot, until OpenTable suggested Social. Without looking at the reviews, we gave it a shot. We sat in the back room which was quieter than the front. Our server was fantastic, the chicken 'lollipops' were very tasty, the filet mignon was cooked perfectly, and we loved the wine selection. Overall, everything was delicious! And the reviews reflect that. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okemmanuelDined on 5/13/2014the waitress was very attentive ( to the point of over attentive ) to taking our order. We were taking our time. Food was good but one dinner was not exactly what was ordered. We had to flag her down for our check ..... and had to go find her to make our payment. Don't know if I would come back.
- Mother's DayPaoMMDined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day brunch with our new baby and they were very accommodating; moving tables to make ro for our stroller and giving us a table where it was a bit less chaotic and noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding brunch experienceayeniDined on 5/11/2014We went to Social for Mother's Day brunch with a toddler and newborn. The staff was amazing in accommodating us and ensuring that all of our needs were met. They seated us in a booth away from the music, but we were still able to appreciate the great jazz music. There were many great options on the menu for us and our daughter. The lemon ricotta pancakes and crab benedict were amazing. We will definitely return to Social.Special Features:
- jazz brunch with tasty foodAltonBrownFansDined on 5/11/2014Tried Social for Mother's Day jazz brunch. Creme brulee french toast was excellent. Eggs on crabcakes benedict were good, but crabcake was nothing special. No kid's menu or no kid-friendly cups (so BYO) but my son loved pancake sliders with nuttella, and the portion was perfect for a hungry 3-year old. Brunch prices were portions (including 1 side to share with 2) were filling but reasonable; don't expect to be stuffed. Reasonable prices Live Jazz duet (string bass + keyboard/vocals) was nice with good variety, and my wife, who sings amateur acappella jazz, approved. Initial service (getting menus and drinks) was a touch slow, but overall service was friendly and efficient. Free parking at Crowne Plaza hotel with validationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Glad I tried itBIB28VIPDined on 5/9/2014I had a flatbread and it was delicious. Service and atmosphere were good. You do not feel like you are in the hotel bar. Definitely would return. I just would not get the app I did - Hot Rocks - as it was expensive and small in size. All the apps were on the expensive side. the restaurant might consider happy hour apps specials or more bar type apps (nachos, wings, sliders) as that is what most look for when being "social"Special Features:
- Great concept, poorly executed foodMarcoEatsDined on 4/25/2014Newton craves what Social promises. If they could only execute in the kitchen. On 2 visits the food side failed to live up to the possibilities. They haven't got the basics down yet-over oiled brussel sprouts, over dressed salads, over-cooked salmon and a fabulously conceived clam chowder with way too big shell on clams that on one occasion couldn't be chewed even after some serious teeth gnashing. On my 2nd visit, the clams were smaller & more tender but the flourless broth was too thick with pure heavy cream. I like rich but not a day's worth of calories in one bowl. Thinned out with rich seafood stock & put a potato & onion in there, & I think you have a winner. Get this place right and there will be lines out the door.Special Features:
- Solid, not specialBeerbrewerVIPDined on 4/21/2014stopped in for lunch with some friends - this is a casual, reasonably priced and friendly place Two of us had the seared tuna salad (large) and one had the chicken sandwich done as a wrap (change is no problem) It was Patriots day, so it was quite quiet at lunch Waitress was super friendly give it a shot - nice people (note it is in the hotel, or attached, but separately operated)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.