Social Restaurant & Bar
320 Washington Street
Newton, MA 02458Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Social Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.socialrestaurantandbar.com/
- Phone: 6172444800x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily 11am - am
Sunday - Thursday: 11am - 10pm
Friday - Saturday: 11am to 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jared Hargreaves
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Customized catering menus created by chef. Everything from light appetizers to multi-course sit down dinners.
- Entertainment: Fridays & Saturdays 9pm
Featuring The Alex MacDougall Band
Van Morrison, Stevie Wonder, Beatles, Rolling Stones and more...
- Special Events: Available for any occasion, morning, afternoon and evenings.
A word from Social Restaurant & Bar
A casually upscale American restaurant & bar. Warm, inviting atmosphere and attentive, friendly staff. Daily lunch and dinner featured menu items. Validated parking day and night. Live entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Social Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Newton ›
Social Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (8)great for lunch (8)special occasion (6)vibrant bar scene (5)romantic (4)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Well worth a return visitctetreauDined on 9/12/2014When we were looking for the restaurant we were not aware that it was attached to the hotel, so we missed it on the first pass and ended up on I-90. Oops! But once we figured it out, everything from there was perfect. Parking is easy and free (with validation) in the garage next to the hotel. All the servers/hostesses/busers were extremely nice and helpful. As soon as we cleared a plate or emptied a glass, someone was there to refill it. The drinks were good - both the wine and beer selections were great and the cocktail list was unique. We ordered the mussels frites for our appetizer and they were perfect. Then we got the scallops and the Atlantic salmon for our entrees. Both were very tasty. A great experience and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local placeLovefoodDined on 9/10/2014Food was good, waitress excellent and we were warmly greeted by the owner who made us feel welcome.Special Features:
- GoodMoonlightDined on 9/6/2014Went here for dinner with my family, overall happy with the place. Service was good, food was ok. Nice place to grab food and drinks and hang out. Not as busy as I was expecting for a Saturday night though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Solid Spot for a Meet-UpOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2014Had a dinner to catch up with a friend on a Tuesday night. It was pretty slow, which was good for not competing with loud noise, but it did have a bit of a "hotel restaurant" vibe. The food was pretty good. I had a cup of the tomato soup (sadly, no grilled cheese croutons when you don't get the whole thing). I also got a chicken cobb salad, which was tasty. I got a couple of craft beers that weren't cold enough. Parking was free with validation, and it was simple to jump back onto the pike -- both good practical considerations.Special Features:
- Last minute reservationLaurieDined on 9/2/2014Food and service were great! Prices are above average, but expected I suppose due to the location. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Best service, very good food!TeufDined on 8/28/2014We had amazing service here. The music was a wonderful selection of 1920's jazz that at one point we had to get up and dance to. In the other room, they had live music playing. The food was quite good. I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable fineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014The host greeted us very kindly; the service was excellent; the food was well presented and very tasty.Special Features:
- Good, but could be betterYallaVIPDined on 7/15/2014My husband and I decided to try Social Restaurant & Bar after seeing so many positive reviews. The host and waitress were warm and welcoming, and service was prompt. Our starters were good, but could be improved. Our crab melt sliders were tasty, but too much lemon was added on the end that distracted from the overall taste. The hummous and tabbouli starter was quite good, but the servings of each were quite small considering the amount of very hardened pita bread sprinkled with zaatar provided. I'm a fan of hummous always having a dash of olive oil, as it was a little dry. Our mains were again good but my husband's steak was a bit overcooked. All in all however it was a good meal, and we'd go again (but maybe just over lunch).Special Features:
- NoneFoodieDined on 7/11/2014I would not come back. We ordered chicken salad and clam chowder soup with sandwich. My friends soup came cold. When she told this to waiter he asked if she wants him to heat it up. Who would want a cold soup and plus second attempt to put in microwave. Very bad offer. My salad came with no chicken. They had to bring chicken separately. He seemed nice and friendly buti am not coming back to this place again.Special Features:
- Next doorshimritVIPDined on 7/9/2014Social Is a welcome addition to the neighborhood! A nice, upscale restaurant, with good food, right in the neighborhood, and not too pricey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth it.birthdaygirlDined on 7/4/2014Very mediocre pizza! Not worth the calories! If one is to have pizza, there are more better places to have it. It also is lacking anything in the way of ambience. Very perfunctory. And the waitress was disinterested as well.
- First TimersAllAboutFoodPresentationDined on 6/30/2014Our first time here was great. I took my friend for her birthday due to her mentioning wanting to try it and its right around the corner from us. We started with the fondue and cherry gnocchi - then both got burgers which were to die for. I had asked with just bacon and they sent cheese on it, not a problem, but they ended up comping out beers due to it - which was above and beyond. That alone really wanted me to bring my business back here. Great food, nice environment, and tried a lot of new things. Strongbow cider is a great light cider beer. Being brought up in the restaurant industry - your expectations are always higher than usual - that being said... I'll be back!Special Features:
- Not sure about the foodEm06282014Dined on 6/28/2014My pasta was too oily and the BBQ chicken pizza was too sweet. Too bad because is a very convenient place in Newton.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/21/2014Food was poorly prepared: the steak was garlicky, the spinach was soggy spinach, and the French fries were limp. The seared tuna had no flavor. The salad had slimy lettuce. No salt and pepper on the tables.
- Great brunch spot!!LuvSocializingDined on 6/15/2014I have been here a couple times for dinner and had a pleasurable experience. But the sunday brunch is awesome! The pancake sliders with Nutella and bananas ... Very good. But the best part was the variety of the menu which offered something for everyone at my table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Addition to Newton CornerPumpkinHeadGalDined on 5/31/2014Social is a nice addition to the Newton Corner area. We were pleasantly surprised that this wasn't just another pub food place, but well thought out and executed dishes. We started with the Lobster sliders, highly recommend! My husband had the Filet Mignon and I had the Cobb Salad, both were fantastic! Our server was friendly and efficient, but not overbearing. If you're seeking a place to go out before heading into the city, definitely try out Social. Worth noting - parking in the garage at the Crown Plaza is cash only. The adjacent hotel does have an ATM in the lobby, but its still a pain to not be able to use a credit card if you're cashless that evening.Special Features:
- The following 65 reviews are from the Social Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- A+Joco4Dined on 5/18/2014We stayed at the Crowne Plaza while visiting our son @ Boston Colllege before his graduation and enjoyed a great dinner @ Social. It was so good, that we made a reservation for our pre-graduation family dinner - and it was great! The service was terrific, the staff was so accommodating! And the food was amazing. We only wish the short ribs were on the spring/summer menu! (We had them the first time we were there and they were the BEST.) We also had brunch at Social and it was delicious. If we lived in Newton, Social would be a restaurant we would go to all the time. (Unfortunately we live in NY. ) But it would be worth the 3-hour drive !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Despite location, pleasant surpriseBetsyVIPDined on 5/18/2014Didn't realize Social's location when I needed a last minute reservation close to Boston College. When we realized it was in the Ceown Plaza we were going to cancel but we checked it out and it turned out to be quite good. Drinks were fantastic and burgers and appetizers were great. If you can get past its location it's a good place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grad brunchNycfoodieDined on 5/18/2014Went here for Brunch graduation weekend. They accommodated our large group and we had excellent service. Food was great !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerHappyNeighborhoodGalVIPDined on 5/16/2014We were having trouble picking a dinner spot, until OpenTable suggested Social. Without looking at the reviews, we gave it a shot. We sat in the back room which was quieter than the front. Our server was fantastic, the chicken 'lollipops' were very tasty, the filet mignon was cooked perfectly, and we loved the wine selection. Overall, everything was delicious! And the reviews reflect that. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okemmanuelDined on 5/13/2014the waitress was very attentive ( to the point of over attentive ) to taking our order. We were taking our time. Food was good but one dinner was not exactly what was ordered. We had to flag her down for our check ..... and had to go find her to make our payment. Don't know if I would come back.
- Mother's DayPaoMMDined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day brunch with our new baby and they were very accommodating; moving tables to make ro for our stroller and giving us a table where it was a bit less chaotic and noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding brunch experienceayeniDined on 5/11/2014We went to Social for Mother's Day brunch with a toddler and newborn. The staff was amazing in accommodating us and ensuring that all of our needs were met. They seated us in a booth away from the music, but we were still able to appreciate the great jazz music. There were many great options on the menu for us and our daughter. The lemon ricotta pancakes and crab benedict were amazing. We will definitely return to Social.Special Features:
- jazz brunch with tasty foodAltonBrownFansDined on 5/11/2014Tried Social for Mother's Day jazz brunch. Creme brulee french toast was excellent. Eggs on crabcakes benedict were good, but crabcake was nothing special. No kid's menu or no kid-friendly cups (so BYO) but my son loved pancake sliders with nuttella, and the portion was perfect for a hungry 3-year old. Brunch prices were portions (including 1 side to share with 2) were filling but reasonable; don't expect to be stuffed. Reasonable prices Live Jazz duet (string bass + keyboard/vocals) was nice with good variety, and my wife, who sings amateur acappella jazz, approved. Initial service (getting menus and drinks) was a touch slow, but overall service was friendly and efficient. Free parking at Crowne Plaza hotel with validationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Glad I tried itBIB28VIPDined on 5/9/2014I had a flatbread and it was delicious. Service and atmosphere were good. You do not feel like you are in the hotel bar. Definitely would return. I just would not get the app I did - Hot Rocks - as it was expensive and small in size. All the apps were on the expensive side. the restaurant might consider happy hour apps specials or more bar type apps (nachos, wings, sliders) as that is what most look for when being "social"Special Features:
- Great concept, poorly executed foodMarcoEatsDined on 4/25/2014Newton craves what Social promises. If they could only execute in the kitchen. On 2 visits the food side failed to live up to the possibilities. They haven't got the basics down yet-over oiled brussel sprouts, over dressed salads, over-cooked salmon and a fabulously conceived clam chowder with way too big shell on clams that on one occasion couldn't be chewed even after some serious teeth gnashing. On my 2nd visit, the clams were smaller & more tender but the flourless broth was too thick with pure heavy cream. I like rich but not a day's worth of calories in one bowl. Thinned out with rich seafood stock & put a potato & onion in there, & I think you have a winner. Get this place right and there will be lines out the door.Special Features:
- Solid, not specialBeerbrewerVIPDined on 4/21/2014stopped in for lunch with some friends - this is a casual, reasonably priced and friendly place Two of us had the seared tuna salad (large) and one had the chicken sandwich done as a wrap (change is no problem) It was Patriots day, so it was quite quiet at lunch Waitress was super friendly give it a shot - nice people (note it is in the hotel, or attached, but separately operated)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Neighborhood updatenewtonFoodieDined on 4/18/2014Delicious made-to-order clam chowder. The burgers were top notch, and perfectly cooked to our specifications. Attentive service. Compares well against The Local, Cook Newton, and The Biltmore in terms of food quality, and in fact has a wider range of menu options. Merits a visit. We had read some (early) mixed reviews, so were skeptical. Yet Social offered great bistro food, well-prepared. We'll be heading back soon.Special Features:
- Very DissapointedMaryDined on 4/13/2014High expectation, sad results. The food was in some cases fine, when what was ordered was delivered. Burgers not cooked to order, fries very soggy . In a case like this where service can save the day, it was also mediocre. Unfortunate!
- Social SpotJimTennisDined on 4/9/2014I was frankly surprised having remembered this spot as an Applebees for many years. The menu is a bit limited, but you will have some enticing choices. Don't miss out on the clam chowder; I was pleasantly surprised on how it was made and presented; a bit heavy on the cream, however, the taste is worth the try. All in all a good expericned worthy of a return visit. I could imagine a group of friends sitting and enjoying themselves there for a few hours after work or on a weekend; Plenty of couples as well. The bar was well attended; travelers statying at the hotel and co-workers from what I could venture to guess. Given the location at the hotel; I woudl guess that is what generates a good portion of the crowd.Special Features:
- Great until the cold burgerFearNotTheFoodDined on 4/5/2014Mussels were very good. Wife's pasta with lobster good although slightly oily. And then my burger came out both raw and cold. Rare and warm would have been great! A chef needs to be able to cook a burger at a gastro pub. Service was excellent and burger was removed but damage was done.Special Features:
- upgrade to newton corner dininglarryjVIPDined on 4/5/2014a huge improvement over applebees. this space was vacant for many years but The Social has staying power . The new owners assembled a great menu, a talented chef and a warm wait staff to provide a strong new entry in the burgeoning Newton restaurant scene. The Social features a wide range of meat, fish and poultry items. Prices are not cheap but you won't regret spending $80 for dinner for two, including a glass of wine. Your waiter or waitress doesn't automatically bring a bread basket but our waitress found some to serve when asked. Otherwise very accomodating as well. Menu recommendations: brie fondue, scallop entree, bibb salad, grilled tunaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gem in NewtonEndo2014VIPDined on 4/4/2014Very cool place. The food and drinks were excellent and the attention to detail from the staff made this a special night. My steak was cooked perfectly and my girlfriend raved about her scallops. The band was great and a great mix of old and new popular music. It seems like there is a New sheriff in town on newton Corner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Except..AcadiaDined on 4/4/2014Our server was either having a bad night or needs to be retrained. She had no polish as far as welcoming us nor did she help out in describing anything unless asked. For example when asked if there were any "specials" she answered "no", I guess I am used to servers having a little personality. The server treated customers on either side of us the same way, so it was not personal to us alone. She shared her lack luster with everyone. A server can make or break an experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would expect less expensiveErinVIPDined on 4/4/2014Would expect less expensive entree options for the location.
- lunchhmm21Dined on 3/31/2014Not busy at lunch time on a Monday but the food arrived fast, attentive staff and food was hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Social is awesomeBeth26Dined on 3/27/2014Truly a fabulous restaurant with great service and delicious, amazing food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went to the restaurant onCaroleKDined on 3/26/2014Went to the restaurant on a Wednesday evening. Wasn't to busy, but enough of a crowd. We tried 3 new apps, a flatbread pizza and a burger. All were fantastic. One of the managers came over and spent time talking with us. After they had cleared our plates. The manager sent over 2 desserts on the house for us to try. A chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream and a Nutella bread pudding with caramalized banana slices. Both were great. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always like to find newnana6Dined on 3/25/2014We always like to find new restaurants and our son's birthday gave us an opportunity. Other than having a hard time finding it (we parked in the wrong garage but the lobby guard kindly validated) we had a most pleasurably experience. We were greeted appropriately by the hostess and seated at a window table. Our waitress was wonderful, suggesting items but not overwhelming us. I asked for a pomegranate martini and was kindly told that the barkeep could not make that but the waitress offered alternatives. Our meals were very good (great risotto) and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the calories or the $$OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/20/2014A perfect place to go if you don't want to converse with your dining partner. SO LOUD ! $14 for a martini, served in a glass that looks and feels as it was purchased at Walmart, and tasted as if it had been made by a bar tending school drop out. A meal less then memorable, to the point, that you leave feeling as if you'd been better off having skipped the meal, saving a few dollars and loosing some weight. A long time before I give it a second chance.Special Features: