Social Reform Kitchen & Bar (fka The Caucus Room)
Market Square North, 401 9th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Social Reform Kitchen & Bar (fka The Caucus Room)
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.socialreformbar.com/
- Phone: 2023931300x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: Open 5:30 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Social Reform Kitchen & Bar offers 6 private dining rooms seating up to 300 guests. All of our private dining rooms feature independent lighting and ambient music which may be adjusted to suit your special event. For our private dining rooms, Social Reform offers hors d'ouevres, breakfast, lunch and dinner options. Contact Cristina Cravedi at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 393-1300 for more information.
- Special Events: Our "Private Caucus Rooms" offers 6 private dining rooms seating up to 300 guests. All of our private dining rooms feature independent lighting and ambient music which may be adjusted to suit your special event.
A word from Social Reform Kitchen & Bar (fka The Caucus Room)
Whether it is a fine, hand cut USDA prime steak, fresh local seafood, one of our now famous bipartisan burgers, or just a quick bite in our bar before a show at the Verizon Center, Social Reform Kitchen and Bar provides a unique and energetic destination in Penn Quarter. A diverse menu features not only inspired modern American entrees. But small plates, salads and sandwiches in an elegant yet relaxed dining room. An imaginative menu theme using politically inspired names for many of the dishes plays on the bipartisan history of the restaurant. Our Private Caucus Rooms are for groups of 8-300. These rooms are perfect for any type of gathering.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Social Reform Kitchen & Bar (fka The Caucus Room) reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
good for groups (5)great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (3)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)fit for foodies (1)hot spot (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Bland FoodmmeettrriicckkDined on 8/15/2014A friend and I went to social kitchen reform bar for dinner and we were both completely underwhelmed with our plates for such costly dishes. It was as if the chef attempted to remove flavor from the rice we were served. The mussels were bland. Just about the only item with any taste was the scallops. I would not recommend their seafood to anyone. I eat a lot of seafood and have never been this underwhelmed at a $30/plate restaurant.Special Features:
- Pre-Theatre DiningHealthyFoodLOverVIPDined on 6/8/2014The manager of Social Reform phoned me at 5pm, just prior to my 6pm reservation, to let me know that the restaurant was closed for a private party. He said Open Table did not know. When I told him that my friend and I would have trouble getting a reservation or a table at that late moment, before our theatre attendance, he said he would take care of us. He did, seating us in another area of the restaurant and offering us an abbreviated, but quite adequate menu. He was most gracious when we arrived, and the service was excellent. We'll surely go again.Special Features:
- Worth a visitdmpxdDined on 5/16/2014I am sometimes disappointed with the food in DC compared to the price. While Social Reform is not inexpensive, the quality of the food, drink AND service make it well worth the visit. The reservation was not until 5:30, but as my friend and I were early, we were immediately offered our table and served drinks while the kitchen prepared to open.Special Features:
- The following 716 reviews are from the Social Reform Kitchen & Bar (fka The Caucus Room) reviews archive.
- Good Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/24/2014Food was very good and served in adequate portions. The service was also very good and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place but disappointing food.elleninDined on 4/18/2014I've always loved this restaurant for business lunches and dinners because you can have a conversation without having to shout to people who are only a couple of feet away. In the past, the food was quite good as well, but this last time was really disappointing. We had the steak sandwich and it was very unappetizing. Did not look great and the taste was a bit off as well.Special Features:
- Great, but limitedDarrylnElleVIPDined on 3/15/2014This is a great restaurant if you want to impress your girlfriend or wife; however, for ordinary weeknight dining the selections are too sparse. My girlfriend and I (both nearly 50) wanted a tasty meal, good wine, and good drinks. We got all 3, but only after requesting the bar menu. The simplest thing on the dinner menu was Coq au Vin. I like that, but she likes more traditional foods. Thankfully, they had a great burger on the bar menu. This lack of variety on the dinner menu might explain why we could not get a reservation at the Capital Grill, but found a nearly empty Social Reform Kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shmancy lunch experiencehockiemackVIPDined on 3/6/2014My girlfriends and I wanted a fun lunch with great drinks after lobbying on the hill all morning. I ordered a raspberry martini. It was nice and stiff. The wines by the glass are all excellent options. I loved the humor in the menu and ordered the "Moderate" burger. Absolutely delicious and an excellent price for a fancy place. Split our checks with ease.Special Features:
- very nice atmosphere and courteousbdaycelebrationDined on 2/28/2014very nice atmosphere and courteous staff. would recommend it to family and friends. I plan to return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I visit this restaurant becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/22/2014I visit this restaurant because of its convenient location relative to Verizon Center. Service is always good, but food is only sometimes exceptional.
- Great food great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/15/2014Menu is small unless you ask for sandwich menu which has great options. The service could not be better. It is just very quiet with no atmosphere. The food is fantastic.
- Great service and yummy!JulieDined on 1/24/2014Could not ask for better service and clam chowder was great to start off our meal on a freezing night!Special Features:
- Surprisingly Good!writernow13Dined on 1/17/2014I have been to the Caucus Room on several occasions with groups; the food and ambiance were always good. I was pleasantly surprised by the more upbeat yet casual Social Reform Kitchen and Bar. The Restaurant Week menu choices were excellent and varied, and the food was simply outstanding. When you want an upscale but not stuffy lunch Social Reform is the way to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with flare but only fareOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/16/2014I ordered the LAME DUCK CHICKEN for $14.00. It's a chicken sandwich with provolone cheese, at least that's what it was supposed to have on it but came out with some kind of whipped ricotta cheese instead, spinach and a mushroom madeira sauce. I love ricotta cheese but not an inch high on the sandwich and it actually made this taste nasty and dry. The food looked good but didn't really have much taste. I've been to this restaurant a couple of times now and both times I wasn't impressed with the meal. I guess I should have stayed away from an item that used the word "Lame" in it. Lame is giving it to much credit and for 14.00 for a chicken sandwich and a handful of green on a plate (salad) is way to much for this and tasted terrible.
- GREATOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/10/2014Enjoyed the quiet ambiance and amazing steak. Wait staff was very attentive.Special Features:
- The service was terrible comparedBillatcDined on 12/13/2013The service was terrible compared to my previous experiences. I was also surprised when I ordered the halibut and later found out through the waitress that it wasn't available. Why wouldn't she have known that when she was taking our order?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasant experienceJBClarkDined on 12/11/2013We had a group of eight and were able to be seated in one of the back dining areas where is was quite enough for us to hear each other talk and celebrate an anniversary. Great wine selection and the food was outstanding as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner RuinedLeilaDined on 12/7/2013If you go - don't go! I have wanted to eat here for years and the food was very good but the service was horrible. Bill our waiter was beyond rude and upset my table so much that we left before dessert and we ended up getting only 1 glass of wine and we are so glad we didn’t buy the bottle like we were thinking because that would have made us stay longer and we didn’t want to do that. When I asked the waiter Bill when I asked for another bread basket he leaned over the basket to see if it was empty and when he saw that it was he picked it up and actually tkts and grumbled then walked away and told on us to the hostess who gave us the nastiest look when she walked pasted. I've never been treated so rude. We will never return & tell all
- Didn't quite meet expectationsRebeccaVIPDined on 12/7/2013Decided to try Social Reform Kitchen despite the so-so reviews. We were disappointed. The restaurant was practically empty and we would have expected better service. The food was good and unfortunately was overshadowed by the lack of other patrons and the lackluster service. We won't return.Special Features:
- Outstanding!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/6/2013I took a young person to celebrate her 22nd birthday. She was so very impressed with the restaurant and all that it offered. Our meal (the braised ribs) were delicious. They melted in our mouths. Fantastic selection. The service was very attentive. They made the birthday girl feel very special and I was most appreciated (which was reflected in my generous gratuity). I highly recommend this restarurant for great food and especially for special occasions. Thank you!Special Features:
- SadOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/16/2013Sad. No character. Uncomfortable. Empty. Website was misleading. Lights need to be dimmed. A lot. Restaurant made me sad because it was so empty and had no life and it seemed on the brink of going out of business.
- classic place re-doneWMColmes14VIPDined on 11/14/2013was formally the Caucus Room (which moved to G'town). Very American-style menu. Braised ribs, seared scallops, crab cakes, a pasta, and mussels. The specialty of the house is steaks. I had a NY Strip which was cooked to perfection. the garlic green beans were fresh and had a nice snap. Also tried the short rib, which was tender but a little dry. Also tried the scallops which were perfectly cooked as well and had a dcent black rice on them. good portion of rice. Service was friendly and the MGR was fast to assist. Would eat there again, perhaps lunch. If you're in the Chinatown area, try it, bc it isn't a tourist placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for before or after theatrehappydinerDined on 11/9/2013Good food, good service, a calm and inviting placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Social ReformBlaneyVIPDined on 11/4/2013The oysters were excellent, with a very nice salsa that complemented the oysters very nicely. A nice change from the usual sauces with oysters. The halibut was somewhat over done. and the fresh fettucini had a bland sauce that was a disappointment. It really needs some TLC with some spices to give it more body. Overall, it was overpriced for what we ordered. Perhaps their special steaks are better. However, I would have ordered the hanger steak, except the waiter said it was not marinated . Hanger steaks cry out for great marinades. Also, the excellent cuts of steaks are very big and very expensive. (e. g., a 22 oz. rib eye for $48.) An option for a smaller cut at a smaller price would be an excellent alternative.
- Style and FoodDaneDined on 10/31/2013This is a wonderful venue for a group lunch. Great food and drink. A little lively with clientele, yet quiet so you can discuss business as needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Business Lunch SpotStephanieDined on 10/31/2013This place is always a great choice for lunch. Its dining area is seperated by "rooms" which gives it a cozy feel and lets you get that quiet type place where you can actually have a nice business lunch and hear all your guests. The menu has a wide variety of options, so it's sure to please everyone. I love their burgers, but my favorite has always been the various salads with steak which has been cooked just right. The service is also great and paced well, so you don't feel rushed. I have taken several guests there and it's always my go to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A decent, if unremarkable, lunchLaughingLionDined on 10/29/2013My girlfriend and I had lunch here; the food was good, if unremarkable. The person who made the menu had some fun with the names of a few sandwiches, and while everything was high quality, nothing was particularly memorable.Special Features:
- Great for special occasions!EmilyBVIPDined on 10/26/2013We visited prior to a show at the Shakespeare Theatre Company, and the entire staff was so lovely and accommodating. We were also celebrating an anniversary, and everyone was lovely - the dessert they brought was spectacular and made our evening so special! Excellent oysters, knowledgeable staff, great wine list, made for a great night. We will be sure to return!Special Features:
- We all really enjoyed ourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2013We all really enjoyed our dinning experience. The wait staff was helpful and very informative. Food was timed perfectly. Everything was excellent considering we made reservations only 20mins before arrival. Highly recommended to visit Social reform Kitchen (aka Caucus room).Special Features:
- Surprising DisappointmentTree17LeavesVIPDined on 8/23/2013Considering it's the heir to the Caucus Room, I was very surprised by how unlike the Caucus Room the food at Social Reform Kitchen and Bar was. My first visit since the change. The steak frites did not even meet the good grade - meat was tough and frites were thick discs of fried potatoe - bad on the palate and not well seasoned. What happened to the thin cut fries the Caucus Room used to have? What happened to the top notch beef there? The soup was average - nice presentation reminiscent of the Caucus Room, but the taste and thickness were not there. Service however was gracious and very good - just like the old days.Special Features:
- Amazing food, atmosphere lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2013One of the best meals I've had in DC in quite sometime, however, the ambiance needs to be revisited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/7/2013I planned this for a work dinner. They were very accommodating as I had to alter the reservation a few times and once we arrived were very attentive. We had our own room, took our time and they were great. I felt bad that the place was pretty dead but we really enjoyed it. The food was delicious as well. I had the scallops which were cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- No one greeted us on thisCarrollDined on 6/22/2013No one greeted us on this warm evening. We had to ask people in a crowded room reserved for a noisy party how we might find someone who could find us a table. After a host finally walked by we approached him and the staff was very accommodating and apologetic about the air conditioning needing repair in the dining area. We were kindly moved because into this warmer space, however, because the cooler bar area where we were first seated was deafeningly loud. The food was VERY good.
- Good food, only okay serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/14/2013When we arrived we waited at the front for about 10 minutes before finally giving up and going to the bar to ask if there was a hostess. Eventually we just sat in the bar where literally everyone else was (there was 1 table sat in the dinning room when we arrived). Despite obviously not being busy servers were rarely seen in the bar area leaving the one bartender to fend for herself. It took a long time to get drinks and place our order. The bartender was perfectly nice but just had a lot of guests to attend to without much help. We were actually trying to get to an event nearby and ended up being late b/c it took so long to get served. Food was great and the drinks were very good but it definitely took longer than it needed to.
- Social Reform lunch reviewfoodietravlrVIPDined on 6/6/2013A coworker and I went her for a business lunch so we were on a tight timetable. We were both impressed by the menu choices but unfortunately had some issues with service which we found to be odd since it was not busy. If you do come here for a business meeting perhaps the strategy is to state that up front here?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch venueOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/29/2013Excellent atmosphere for a lovely lunch. Excellent food and there is something for everyone. Good for taking guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great FindBRockDined on 5/18/2013We came to Social Reform on March 19 because it was on the "recommended" list for Ford's Theater. We have been back three times since. It is a great location; easy to get a reservation, good service, good food -- and a great bar. My husband is especially impressed with the martinis. My only complaint is that is difficult to remember the name of the restaurant. I keep going back to the Ford's Theater website to find the link.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town visitHeavydropDined on 5/13/2013While visiting DC we had dinner before attending a musical at the Ford Theater. The proximity was one of the reasons we chose The Caucus Room. Great service, and wonderful ambience, although my steak was over cooked it was still edible and my guests loved their dinners. When in DC again I would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff was great. BartenderVonGDined on 5/10/2013Staff was great. Bartender makes a great Old-fashioned, which I hold as a barometer for a bar program... Burger was delicious. Bar crowd is non-existent after happy hour, definitely better to visit Mon-Thurs if you're feeling social...Special Features:
- Service was great at first,twblVIPDined on 5/4/2013Service was great at first, had a blip of 45 minutes where we were ignored, and then he came back and all was good. There weren't a whole lot of people there for a Saturday night, so I don't know why he was so scarce for a while. Regardless, food was wonderful and the beer selection is pretty darn good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night OutLikestoeatoutDined on 5/4/2013Our party of 6 had wide and varied requirements that the new menu satisfied. From salads to sandwiches to meals to desserts, all enjoyed their food choices. The dessert sampler of sorbets & gelatos was excellent! The service provided by Cooper was great as well as relaxed and fun. The staff even went out on the street to hail a cab for one of our party and did not give up until a cab stopped. Everyone enjoyed the evening very much! I will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.