Social - Ottawa
537 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, ON K1N 6Z6Neighborhood:
Ottawa / Gatineau
ContinentalPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Social - Ottawa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.social.ca/
- Phone: 6137897355x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri.: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental
- Executive Chef: Chef Kyrn Stein
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Let us host your next wine and cheese party. Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: In the last few years, SOCIAL has undergone some layout improvements. The lower lounge is now a private area that can accommodate up to 18 people for dinner, and some space was annexed from next door to open the S-Lounge - a half cocktail lounge, half dining room for groups of 30. There is also the upper lounge area that can host up to 26 people for a sit down dinner. Last but not least there is the front dining room. This area is semi-private and can accommodate up to 50 people for a dinner. There are many options which can accommodate anything from large business meetings to intimate parties.
- Private Party Contact: Tara-Leigh Cancino Brouillette 613-789-7355x
- Entertainment: Live music can be heard every Tuesday and Wednesday night in the summer on the Courtyard - a mix of jazz, acid jazz and blues. An assortment of DJs are spinning on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights all year round.
- Cross Street: George / York
- Public Transit: There are public transit stops on Rideau street and at the Rideau Center (which is within walking distance).
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We are located between George St. and York St. on Sussex Drive. You can find meter parking and 2 parking garages on York Street. Parking is also available across the street at 700 Sussex Drive and around the market area.
A word from Social - Ottawa
Opened in the summer of 1999, SOCIAL was conceived as the perfect blend of restaurant and bar. It was envisioned as a place where guests could enjoy an evening drink without feeling obligated to order dinner too, but where a sizzling menu meant that food was always an excellent option. When its doors first opened, SOCIAL was the first restaurant in the capital to regularly feature a live DJ, which instantly gave it a reputation for innovation. Ten years later, SOCIAL continues to deliver, known in the capital city for its imagination and its chic, modern vibe. With fifteen-foot ceilings, ultramodern decor and gorgeous exposed stone walls, the space offers an unparalleled atmosphere for a sit-down dinner or some after-work cocktails. Guests can expect high-quality professional service and a menu to match, proving that SOCIAL is truly a downtown destination that has it all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Social - Ottawa - Best Restaurants in Ottawa / Gatineau ›
Social - Ottawa reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (21)special occasion (18)good for groups (17)romantic (17)great for outdoor dining (17)great for lunch (11)notable wine list (11)hot spot (10)late-night find (8)neighborhood gem (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Dinner was absolutely excellent.PriveSpaOrleansOntarioDined on 10/18/2014I suggested Social my friends had never been and they will recommend it to their friends for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discordant aesthetic and priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Found it to be over priced, missing details that justified the cost. The dining tables seemed to be battered around outdoor bistro sets shoved together. Servers were very warm and accommodating but a bit inexperienced. For example, we were not told of chef specialities or wine lists/recommendations. When we had a few questions, they had to leave to go ask someone else. Food was very good though, albeit presented on strange discordant plates/dishes. Like the tables, some of the dishes seemed to be second hand finds rather than fine dining dinnerware, which would be fine if this was the aesthetic, but it's not. Also, a loud party of men were chanting several times throughout the night. Again, fine, but not expected in this atmosphere.
- hit and missbelleDined on 10/7/2014sometimes the meals can be very good and sometimes very average. service is also inconsistent.
- Non-rendered fat cap on lamb...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Just not an appealing thing, and the plating made it look like I was missing the rest of my meal. Really wanted to love this place. I will say...the shrimp was delicious!
- Not the HalibutsailmanDined on 9/28/2014I had the halibut at Social. Overcooked and dry....seemed like it had been in the freezer for a long time. My wife's tenderloin was fine. The supporting cast of vegetables were starchy and without taste. Not nearly what I expected for the money I spent.Special Features:
- 2nd year anniversaryAlmancoolguyDined on 9/22/2014Our waiter placed a flower and offered complimentary champagne which was a great added service. The food was amazing and ambiance was perfect , would recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014I went for lunch with a colleague, and we had a great experience. We did not have to wait long, and the food was delicious! I ordered the lunch box, and they were very accomodating when I explained that I am vegetarian. They replaced the chicken in my sandwich with a very deliciously prepared tofu, marinated in thai sauce, I think. They should put that on their regular lunch menu, it was very good! The atmosphere was good, but it was very busy. Well, obviously it is very popular, and I understand why! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCueTheRevDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food, outstanding service, good wine. Would definitely go back and recommend to others.Special Features:
- Nice place to meet friendsbocusseDined on 9/13/2014I have been coming to Social since its opening and always enjoyed the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Great atmosphere, service and food! It was the perfect spot for our special eventSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyable2wineanddineDined on 7/19/2014The new menu is wonderful. We will go back to try other selections. We particularly enjoyed the tuna appetizer and the lamb saddle.Special Features:
- Great venue. Food bland.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Excellent venue and service. Great presentation but we found the food a little bland.Special Features:
- wines123VIPDined on 7/9/2014Nice place =. had the tartar and halibut. Both were really good. Staff are really nice and very attentive. One of Ottawa better places to eat.Special Features:
- Excellent for business lunchTomaDined on 7/8/2014A great spot for a business lunch in Ottawa - good food, quiet and traditional ambiance, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationlovetodineDined on 7/4/2014I booked a 40th birthday for my dear friend & 12 other guests. We dinned in the private dining room & had a blast. We started off with some hors d'oeuvres & sparkling wine then sat for dinner a bit later. Service & dinner was great & it was so nice to have a spot of our own to add to the occasion. We brought in a special dessert & the staff cut & plated it for us which was nice. After dinner some of us went up to the bar area for more drinks, where a DJ was playing. Looking forward to the next party I get to plan here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nous avions une réservation ???Vroum21VIPDined on 6/28/2014Nous avions une réservation mais après nous avoir fait dégusteé et servi le vin on nous dit que le grill n'est prêt pour nous et que nous devrons attendre 30 à 45 minutes avant d'avoir de la bouffe... BIZARRE !!!!
- Love the Patio!lovetodineDined on 6/28/20143 guests for dinner & had some friends join us for drinks. The staff was very friendly & accommodated our expansion. We sat on the lovely patio in the courtyard & it felt very old world with the cobblestone & old buildings. I had the crudité salad which was really good & the Halibut for my main course & it did not disappoint. Lobster could have shared the headline in this dish as there was quite a large portion of that on the plate as well as delicious hominy & a broth that is poured at the table on the dish. Mojitos & a nice Sauv Blanc rounded out the meal unfortunately leaving no room for dessert this time. We were a bit rushed to leave as we were heading to the Jazz Festival & the staff got all our bills quickly & correctly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newly disappointed by the new menuAlishogVIPDined on 6/28/2014Sad to say that the phenomenal menu at Social is no more. The restaurant appears to be trying to emulate the molecular gastronomy trend instead of sticking to its forte - high end, classic fare previously executed beautifully. The attempt at replicating molecular gastronomy is (a) out of date as that trend has passed and (b) it's done poorly with some dishes (i.e gnuddi) and orhers being passable (i.e tuna). Social should bring back/revisit its menu of past - leave the molecular gastronomy that's now passing to those Ottawa fêted experts such as Atelier or chef Féran's El Bulli.Special Features:
- The following 373 reviews are from the Social - Ottawa reviews archive.
- Misleading menu titlesTrav2dineVIPDined on 6/10/2014My wife had the Dungeness crab salad and was not impressed by the taste or colour (grey) of the crab - she was also surprised that there were few greens: mainly potato and mayonnaise. She found the name of the dessert misleading, 'Chocolate Cremeux', as it was mainly coffee ice-cream and not enough chocolate. My meal of BC Halibut was very good and the upside down plum cake was interesting. Eating on the outdoor patio was great.Special Features:
- For a special occasionDidi26Dined on 6/10/2014I brought a friend to celebrate her birthday this week. We had lunch outside on a beautiful day and it was pleasant. The service was fast and the waitress pleasant. We appreciate the fact that she spoke french. The food was well presented and good. I would go back for a special occasion since it is not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GastroDined on 6/7/2014Big plates. Small portions. Well prepared. But not exciting. The Social didnt' wow me.Special Features:
- amazing service!antlib1111Dined on 5/24/2014The food was great matched with outstanding service by the whole team, in particar Veronique!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very enjoyable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/23/2014Dinner was a Friday evening of a very crowded weekend. Usually with such crowds, the food and service are a bit off as the staff is stretched thin with the increased pace. That was definitely not the case here. The food was very well done, the staff was extremely attentive and friendly, and the entire atmosphere of the restaurant was relaxed. We had a thoroughly superb time with dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing night out!TerrybearDined on 5/23/2014We celebrated our annivrsary at Social last Friday and had a extraordinary experience. From the moment we sat down to our final goodbyes the service was amazing! The food was perfect, the beverages exceptional and the dessert divine. We enjoyed the ploughman's platter and halibut the most. Thank you for making it a romantic evening out for us. We highly recommend Social for anyone looking for a special night out with their sweetheart.Special Features:
- DeliciousEricTheMailmanDined on 5/18/2014I loved our meal here. The plates were works of art that tasted every bit as delicious as it looked. The service was friendly; our waitress really was a pro, keeping an expert eye on us while being completely discrete.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale and hip spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014Excellent service, stellar food! Thanks for the birthday candle display!Special Features:
- CamelDined on 5/11/2014Steaks were cooked exactly how we ordered i.e. medium and rareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisGueretteDined on 5/10/2014Food was average. Service was good but waited much too long for food. A much so I skipped desert. Table (2 seperate tables) was really not good for our group. Would not go back.Special Features:
- PerfectSatisfiedDinerVIPDined on 5/2/2014first time at this restaurant but will not be our last time!Special Features:
- A little disorganized.newsmanDined on 5/2/2014Food is tasty, but have a snack before you go. Service was standard team approach, but was not at all attentive.Special Features:
- Last night in OttawaOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/29/2014Great experience despite the irony of dining solo at a restaurant named Social. Great steak cooked perfectly to order at medium rare. Service was friendly. Nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeStarakaDined on 4/19/2014Absolutely love this restaurant. We usually get a booth in the lounge area and it's great. Perfect atmosphere, great staff and an awesome menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was out-of-this world.FinedinequeenDined on 4/10/2014The food was out-of-this world. Fabulous flavour , texture and presentation Service was impeccableSpecial Features:
- My recent visit to Socialwines123VIPDined on 4/8/2014My recent visit to Social was great. The chef must be new because the food was really good. I had the calamari app. followed by the short ribs. The only thing I would suggest is they expand their wine list other than that Social was a great place. If you go on Thursday - Sat the bar is hopping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-concert gemfinndanDined on 4/5/2014Conveniently located to the National Arts Centre we often go to Social for a pre-concert supper. Must mention the wine, Raging Meg Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand's Marlborough region was excellent - very flavourful, crisp, tasty and refreshing. My wife had steak frites and, typically, she ate all the frites and only half the steak. Eating the left-overs I thought it was excellent, perfectly cooked (medium rare) and very tasty. My fish and clams were good took, the clams tasting fresh and the cod perfectly cooked, moist, tender and delicious. For dessert we split a passion fruit concoction that was the perfect compliment to the rest of the meal. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best nicoise saladrozorDined on 4/4/2014Twice in the last month I took my friends/students out to lunch at Social. The ambience, service and food were as pleasing the second time as the first. We could sit and talk as long as we wanted without interruption. I would like to go to Social for dinner and will try it in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chef overindulgencesharkVIPDined on 4/1/2014Every dish appears to be vying for a culinary award but over the top for me-very rich.This may explain why the service is soo slow-probably takes a long time to prepare the dishes.The food was good though if you like this kind of thing but a big cha ge from the previous chef and menu which I loved.Special Features:
- My frustration with the qualityCrabbyLadyDined on 3/27/2014My frustration with the quality of the service has now reached the point that I will no longer be bringing guests to Social. I was with a group on Thursday evening. Food-wise it was EXCELLENT. But the service hit a new low: we were ignored for long periods of time (which was a particular issue as the guest of honour had flown in from Europe, and was very jet-lagged), and the waiter assigned to our table simply disappeared for significant stretches. Whereas I usually find the noise level acceptable (we want to be able to hear ourselves talk), on Thursday evening the music was playing so loudly that conversation became difficult.. We asked to have the music turned down, but shortly afterwards the volume was cranked up again.Special Features:
- Beets and LentilsCanadianMojoDined on 3/15/2014My appetizer included the best lentils I had ever eaten and beets that were tasty. I was very impressed and pleased that the chef told our server how they were done. My main course was a little on the rich side - gnocchi with cheese, but that is my responsibility for ordering.My partner had the halibut special and enjoyed it. We were seated by the window, but the cost of watching the world go by is that cold feeling that Ottawa picture windows offer in this chilly month. The music was too obvious.. An early reservation in an almost empty place should be a signal to pump up the heat and moderate the tunes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunch menurozorDined on 3/12/2014One of my favorite salads is Salade Nicoise. The Salade Nicoise at Social was the best I have had! Other choices looked great as well. My friend had the lunchbox option. I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.