Social Kitchen and Bar
225 E Maple
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Social Kitchen and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.socialkitchenandbar.com/
- Phone: (248) 594-4200
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Zack Sklar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Social Kitchen and Bar
The Roof Top Lounge, the open air "patio/via" and an inspired loft space come together to create Social Kitchen & Bar. Chef Zack Sklar puts his very best on each and every plate, offering up American comfort foods with a twist. Social has a full menu with apps, soup & salads, sandwiches, entrees & side dishes and of course desserts. Located in the heart of downtown Birmingham Social Kitchen & Bar is also a favorite for Sunday Brunch featuring a Bloody Mary Bar and eight different champagne cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Social Kitchen and Bar - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
Social Kitchen and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (36)hot spot (29)great for lunch (27)great for brunch (26)great for outdoor dining (26)neighborhood gem (25)vibrant bar scene (18)good for groups (18)special occasion (6)scenic view (5)late-night find (4)romantic (3)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Always our place to go when we visit Birmingham.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014Social is always a good place to stop whether it's for a drink while shopping in Birmingham or a comfortable dinner. The staff is top drawer, always inviting and knowledgeable about the menu. We've tried numerous items on the menu and have always been pleased. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but too many fries!BirchtreeDined on 11/22/2014We had great food (scallops, pecan trout, doughnuts and way too many French fries!) Please adjust your French fries side to fit the number of people at the table - we were only two and got enough fries for 4 or 5 or even 6 people. There was quite a lot of waste when we could have gotten 1/2 an order for less money. Our waitress was superb with everything else and helped us greatly with our allergies, my friend's special diet, and substitutions for all of which I will recommend your restaurant . I guess she just forget about the size of the side of French fries... And a special mention for the Pro Secco wine -- I don't drink often but when I do that's what I like and many places don't even have it, let alone one that good. Thank you very much and can I get a takeout order of those doughnuts????Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unwilling to make a bad situation rightcoldcustomerDined on 11/21/2014They have an outdoor seating area that they have enclosed with plastic walls and heaters. However, it wasn't working and it was freezing at our table. We could not take off our big bulky coats and after half an hour, our feet were numb. We immediately asked for another table when they seated us. We were told they'd check into finding us a seat in the restaurant. We ordered drinks and a few appetizers while we waited. After it became apparent that no other table was going to be available to us, we told our waitress that we weren't going to order dinner. She was very nice, apologetic, and went and got the manager. All he did was apologize. I understand he can't change the weather but first of all, they shouldn't have been seating people outside in November in Michigan unless the heat was working properly. Second, he should have offered to buy our drinks or at least one of our apps. Even a discount to try the restaurant again would have been helpful. He did nothing to earn our business again. I was disappointed because the appetizers were good but we won't be returning.
- FantasticSparty8Dined on 11/19/2014Food and service were amazing, as always. Bring back the TV dinner ! !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Waitress was ok. Food portions were not great for sharing (appetizers). Very small tables. Expensive drinks. But, good vibe and feel. Such great mac n cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Social KitchenMeettheparentsDined on 11/7/2014Heaters were a little hot on enclosed Patio, wee were sweating by the time we left. But food was very good.Special Features:
- Fun and deliciousDisappointedVIPDined on 11/2/2014We had our kids and grandkids to dinner here. Food was great, cocktails were nothing special, good selection of wine. Lots of choices for all.Special Features:
- GOOD ENERGYAAAAVIPDined on 11/1/2014This was an above average dining experience, but not great. We got there about 45 minutes early in hope that we could get a drink at the bar, but I didn't reallize it was a smaller place and their were no seats. We tried to get a drink, but none of the bartenders acknowledged us, after about 5 minutes we went to kill time at Cafe Via across the street. We came back 5 minutes before our reservation and checked in again and the host staff said they were behind on seating. So we were able to get a spot at the bar and again no one acknowledged us. I finally got a male bartenders attention and he seemed short and not happy. He took the menu we were looking at and I had to ask for it back.Special Features:
- wonderful experienceFood4LifeDined on 10/27/2014Food was great. Nice variety. Took our out of town visitors there--everyone was pleased. From Mideastern to Italian to Vegetarian--all dishes were delish.Special Features:
- Great for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/23/2014I have been here a few times for dinner, and I was not overly impressed. I went for lunch for the first time this week. The lunch menu had a much better selection than the dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StrangeFrackCIDined on 10/5/2014Loud, poor service but food was ok. My biggest issue were all the fruit flys!!! They were everywhere. There had to have been dozen just at my table. Bathrooms are odd too - one women's and one unisex, no men's.Special Features:
- Never gets oldCharnedVIPDined on 10/4/2014Even by my snooty NYC standards, the food at Social is exceptional. This time I took my whole family, and we had the crispy brussel sprouts, the social skillet, chicken and waffles, crab cakes, chopped salad, and a sticky bun (this is definitely a place to share food family-style). The crab cakes were probably the only thing that I wouldn't recommend, but not because they weren't tasty--it's just that everything is tasty, so there's no need to spend $16 on such a tiny dish unless you really love crab. The menu changes seasonally, but a terrific standby appetizer is the crispy brussel sprouts (sometimes you can ask for it if it's not on the menu).Special Features:
- High Quality food and settingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/1/2014Typical Modern-Rustic-Chic feel. Good quality food. I didn't love the brussel spout app that people raved about, but the Caesar Salad and the Turkey Burger were both top shelf. Their interpretation of the Turkey Burger is something you have never seen or will see anywhere else, truly great.Special Features:
- Lunch at Social Kitchen and BarfoofdieVIPDined on 9/29/2014My girlfriend and I both had the salad bowl. It was very nice, and of a decent size. We sat outside since it was a gorgeous day. Our server was pleasant, brought us water and took our order promptly. All the other food being served looked good. We will return and try it again.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014Other than our waiter taking forever to come over with coffee and refill said coffees, the food and ambiance was reasonable. It was quite noisy- much more than I expected but overall I enjoyed the food and will go back.Special Features:
- Don't botherMandyDined on 9/3/2014Food was horrible. Won't be going back. Fried green tomatoes were like biting into mush. Slider bites. NastySpecial Features:
- Good foodSweetieDined on 8/31/2014Loved the mussels, fried green tomatoes, chicken&waffles, and the burger (ground pork belly & short rib) fantastic ...yummySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREATOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/23/2014Had the skillet brunch option. You can pick and make your own breakfast. Delicious! Fun place.Special Features:
- Perfect place for Lunch & Aft WorkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014Great food & ambience..... perfect casual place to meetSpecial Features:
- awesome everytime!joyjoyDined on 8/17/2014the chicken and waffles was awesome per usual. i just mean to ask every time to get the syrup on the side, they load it on kinda thick. awesome service as well!Special Features:
- Regular for a reasonCharnedVIPDined on 8/16/2014Whenever I'm in Michigan, I come here. The seasonal menus keep me on my toes, and I've never been disappointed. There are plenty of great eats in Birmingham, but this is the one. Some highlights from past trips: pot roast sandwich (lunch), chicken and waffles (brunch)--probably the best north of the Mason-Dixon line, eggs over corned beef hash (brunch), chopped salad (brunch)...Everything sounds so simple but is so perfectly executed that it's impossible not to be impressed. For example, the chopped salad, which sounds like the most boring thing on the menu, has romaine, peas, dill, avocado, parmesan, tomato, hearts of palm, navy beans, crispy flat bread, and lemon vinaigrette, all chopped fine enough to eat with a spoon.Special Features:
- Excellent Food!GreatVIPDined on 8/16/2014We sat up on the deck overlooking Maple Rd. The service and the food were very good. We highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant eveningKAPADined on 8/10/2014This was our 2nd visit to the Social Kitchen. Again, the service was excellent and the food great. Highly recommend for a casual dinner.Special Features:
- amazingmmocerp7Dined on 8/5/2014The dinner was absolutely amazing and came to us really fast. Dessert was warm and fresh out of the oven too! defiantly going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let's socialize!!HappyladyVIPDined on 8/2/2014Love the skillets, fun place to bring out of town guests or go to friends to enjoy..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Food was okay, noise level high - difficult to converse with the person I had dinner with because of this, service slow. Had the cheeseburger which was fine; the side of fries was much too large for one person. I much prefer a quieter atmosphere.Special Features:
- The following 35 reviews are from the Social Kitchen and Bar reviews archive.
- Recommendation spot onEatAlotDined on 7/21/2014A friend of our oldest son recommended Social. He said "they make common food uncommon." It was our son's 23rd birthday. Service was good. Food was prepared the way we ordered and delivered within a reasonable amount of time. Was a bit loud and hard to hear server. Great food experience.Special Features:
- Good food and ServiceDBlair2230VIPDined on 7/13/2014Having not heard much about this restaurant, I was pleasantly surprised. My salmon was excellent. My drink order was good. The waiter was very attentive. The brussel sproats were very good. I liked the menu. Prices were not too high. I would return again if I was in the area.Special Features:
- Brunch with Bloody MarysVAfoodieDined on 7/13/2014Love the bloody mary bar with all the fixings. The skillets were great because you could check off what you wanted. Only thing is that I asked for some items and they were not in the skillet, but no one told me that is was missing. Service is not that friendly but they will get what you need.Special Features:
- It's All GoodOzarkreebDined on 7/8/2014This casual place has some of the best and most interesting food in Birmingham. There's a nice combination of quality ingredients, imagination, and kitchen skill at work. Our dinner was a lot of fun and every item was just excellent.Special Features:
- Good FoodLove2eatoutDined on 6/25/2014The food was excellent, well-priced and unusual. We were delighted to be able to get a reservation at Social, as we didn't know they took reservations and getting them through Open Table was a guarantee that the reservation would be honored. However we did have to wait and would have waited longer if we hadn't pointed out a high-top table in the bar. Apparently the low-top table we were waiting for still wasn't available after 10 - 15 minutes.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemFairWetherFriendDined on 6/15/2014I blindly pick this place on Open Table for our Father's Day dinner because it was close to where we were going afterwards and the prices were under $30. I figured since it was in downtown B'ham it had to be OK. Boy was I pleasantly surprised! We ate out on the patio but I loved the wood floors inside. The ambiance was artsy and our waitress - Amber - was very attentive. My husband and I have decided to add this restaurant to our list of places to go eat after work since we both work in the area.Special Features:
- Great Casual DiningPrefer2EatAtCasualPlacesDined on 6/4/2014Terrific food choices with twist. Mac & Cheese tasty. Grilled Caesar salad-wonderful smoky flavor. Brussels sprout chips were very good. Nice selection of wines. Overall this was a very enjoyable dinner and fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roof Service is SlowNotableDiningVIPDined on 6/1/2014Service on the roof is notably slower than in the main dining area. We waited 10-15 minutes for each round of drinks and almost hour for our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- #1 Chicken and Waffles for MilesBlueLouDined on 5/13/2014We had a reservation for 5:30 which was a great time to get there because the dining room was nearly empty when we were seated, but filled up fast on a Tuesday shortly thereafter and there was a wait at the door. Servers were really attentive. Chicken and waffles appetizer were great, the best I've had! I had the chicken salad sandwich -- good and a pretty large portion (read: I didn't walk away hungry). I also ordered the broccolini side because it was made with chili oil and I thought it would be spicy. While it was good, it wasn't spicy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2014We were there for brunch. It was hopping!!! And the ambiance was great. A real neighborhood gem and someplace I love to take out of town guests because it is just fun. The wait staff was friendly, working hard, and a team effort. We loved it.Special Features:
- Girls lunchTerrybDined on 5/1/2014We really enjoyed our lunch, we had a great table by the window our server was attentive and we never felt rushed. The Brussels spout appetizer was awesome and the "pick what you want" salad was generous and delicious!Special Features:
- GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014The food and the service are always amazing at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Social is socialGrazieVIPDined on 4/5/2014There are always local people dining and a upbeat atmosphere. One of our favorite Birmingham restaurants.Special Features:
- First time, LoVe!JosephineVIPDined on 3/31/2014I had seen other people post pics & simply had to try this restaurant. First of all, loved the checkbox style ordering to build my own salad! And when it came, the first bite (exploded) like a flavor bomb! The herb dressing (ask for two) that's what we did because the first tiny cup simply didn't seem like enough. Our server Jeff was great too! I can't wait to go back! I only wish it wasn't so darn far from where we live!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.