Social Kitchen and Bar
225 E Maple
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Social Kitchen and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.socialkitchenandbar.com/
- Phone: 2485944200
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Zack Sklar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Social Kitchen and Bar
The Roof Top Lounge, the open air "patio/via" and an inspired loft space come together to create Social Kitchen & Bar. Chef Zack Sklar puts his very best on each and every plate, offering up American comfort foods with a twist. Social has a full menu with apps, soup & salads, sandwiches, entrees & side dishes and of course desserts. Located in the heart of downtown Birmingham Social Kitchen & Bar is also a favorite for Sunday Brunch featuring a Bloody Mary Bar and eight different champagne cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Social Kitchen and Bar - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
Social Kitchen and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (27)neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (23)great for outdoor dining (23)great for lunch (17)hot spot (14)special occasion (9)vibrant bar scene (8)good for groups (8)notable wine list (5)scenic view (4)romantic (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- GREATOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/23/2014Had the skillet brunch option. You can pick and make your own breakfast. Delicious! Fun place.Special Features:
- Perfect place for Lunch & Aft WorkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014Great food & ambience..... perfect casual place to meetSpecial Features:
- awesome everytime!joyjoyDined on 8/17/2014the chicken and waffles was awesome per usual. i just mean to ask every time to get the syrup on the side, they load it on kinda thick. awesome service as well!Special Features:
- Excellent Food!GreatVIPDined on 8/16/2014We sat up on the deck overlooking Maple Rd. The service and the food were very good. We highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant eveningKAPADined on 8/10/2014This was our 2nd visit to the Social Kitchen. Again, the service was excellent and the food great. Highly recommend for a casual dinner.Special Features:
- amazingmmocerp7Dined on 8/5/2014The dinner was absolutely amazing and came to us really fast. Dessert was warm and fresh out of the oven too! defiantly going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let's socialize!!HappyladyVIPDined on 8/2/2014Love the skillets, fun place to bring out of town guests or go to friends to enjoy..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Food was okay, noise level high - difficult to converse with the person I had dinner with because of this, service slow. Had the cheeseburger which was fine; the side of fries was much too large for one person. I much prefer a quieter atmosphere.Special Features:
- Recommendation spot onEatAlotDined on 7/21/2014A friend of our oldest son recommended Social. He said "they make common food uncommon." It was our son's 23rd birthday. Service was good. Food was prepared the way we ordered and delivered within a reasonable amount of time. Was a bit loud and hard to hear server. Great food experience.Special Features:
- Good food and ServiceDBlair2230Dined on 7/13/2014Having not heard much about this restaurant, I was pleasantly surprised. My salmon was excellent. My drink order was good. The waiter was very attentive. The brussel sproats were very good. I liked the menu. Prices were not too high. I would return again if I was in the area.Special Features:
- Brunch with Bloody MarysVAfoodieDined on 7/13/2014Love the bloody mary bar with all the fixings. The skillets were great because you could check off what you wanted. Only thing is that I asked for some items and they were not in the skillet, but no one told me that is was missing. Service is not that friendly but they will get what you need.Special Features:
- It's All GoodOzarkreebDined on 7/8/2014This casual place has some of the best and most interesting food in Birmingham. There's a nice combination of quality ingredients, imagination, and kitchen skill at work. Our dinner was a lot of fun and every item was just excellent.Special Features:
- Good FoodLove2eatoutDined on 6/25/2014The food was excellent, well-priced and unusual. We were delighted to be able to get a reservation at Social, as we didn't know they took reservations and getting them through Open Table was a guarantee that the reservation would be honored. However we did have to wait and would have waited longer if we hadn't pointed out a high-top table in the bar. Apparently the low-top table we were waiting for still wasn't available after 10 - 15 minutes.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemFairWetherFriendDined on 6/15/2014I blindly pick this place on Open Table for our Father's Day dinner because it was close to where we were going afterwards and the prices were under $30. I figured since it was in downtown B'ham it had to be OK. Boy was I pleasantly surprised! We ate out on the patio but I loved the wood floors inside. The ambiance was artsy and our waitress - Amber - was very attentive. My husband and I have decided to add this restaurant to our list of places to go eat after work since we both work in the area.Special Features:
- Great Casual DiningPrefer2EatAtCasualPlacesDined on 6/4/2014Terrific food choices with twist. Mac & Cheese tasty. Grilled Caesar salad-wonderful smoky flavor. Brussels sprout chips were very good. Nice selection of wines. Overall this was a very enjoyable dinner and fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roof Service is SlowNotableDiningVIPDined on 6/1/2014Service on the roof is notably slower than in the main dining area. We waited 10-15 minutes for each round of drinks and almost hour for our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- #1 Chicken and Waffles for MilesBlueLouDined on 5/13/2014We had a reservation for 5:30 which was a great time to get there because the dining room was nearly empty when we were seated, but filled up fast on a Tuesday shortly thereafter and there was a wait at the door. Servers were really attentive. Chicken and waffles appetizer were great, the best I've had! I had the chicken salad sandwich -- good and a pretty large portion (read: I didn't walk away hungry). I also ordered the broccolini side because it was made with chili oil and I thought it would be spicy. While it was good, it wasn't spicy.Special Features:
- The following 26 reviews are from the Social Kitchen and Bar reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2014We were there for brunch. It was hopping!!! And the ambiance was great. A real neighborhood gem and someplace I love to take out of town guests because it is just fun. The wait staff was friendly, working hard, and a team effort. We loved it.Special Features:
- Girls lunchTerrybDined on 5/1/2014We really enjoyed our lunch, we had a great table by the window our server was attentive and we never felt rushed. The Brussels spout appetizer was awesome and the "pick what you want" salad was generous and delicious!Special Features:
- GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014The food and the service are always amazing at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Social is socialGrazieVIPDined on 4/5/2014There are always local people dining and a upbeat atmosphere. One of our favorite Birmingham restaurants.Special Features:
- First time, LoVe!JosephineVIPDined on 3/31/2014I had seen other people post pics & simply had to try this restaurant. First of all, loved the checkbox style ordering to build my own salad! And when it came, the first bite (exploded) like a flavor bomb! The herb dressing (ask for two) that's what we did because the first tiny cup simply didn't seem like enough. Our server Jeff was great too! I can't wait to go back! I only wish it wasn't so darn far from where we live!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting to Social You!Donna22Dined on 3/18/2014Went on a Tuesday(best night in Birmingham for eating out). A little disturbed by our seat at first(too close to the door), but our server just pushed us back and it was fine. Our server really set the tone. She was very relaxed and professional at the same time. Food was excellent, portions perfect, prices reasonable, especially for Birmingham. Will go back again especially when the weather warms up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!ShortStackVIPDined on 2/19/2014The waitress was extremely knowledgable and friendly. She noticed I was not eating anything gluten and asked me if it was an alergy thing and brought me a gluten free menu. The house grind hamburger was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience for lunchMaggie01Dined on 1/29/2014Had small group lunch for restaurant week. Good value and good service. Some interesting menu choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiancebigalDined on 1/27/2014We dined at lunch during Bimingham Restaurant. My starter, chopped salad was tasty and perfectly dressed. My tacos were excellent.. My companion raved about the warm chicken salad sandwich.Special Features:
- each course was better and betterMikackVIPDined on 1/19/2014nothing bad to say about the menu items at this restaurant. Brussels Sprouts were outstanding, they had a unique twist on sliders (with the "burger' baked inside a roll) which were also great. Chicken & Waffles were delectable, sweet and smoky...it had bacon on it...how could you go wrong! Also, Grilled Caeser Salad was really tasty and the French Onion Soup was also good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome SpotBigsappyDined on 1/15/2014This was a great place for lunch! The service was fabulous and the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hot spot on MapleJasboVIPDined on 12/30/2013Hadn't tried Social before. Went there on a Monday night and found it busy, inviting and fun. We sat at a high top in the bar, with a great view of the sidewalk. Tried the brussel sprouts and the fried green tomatoes to start. Loved 'em both. The barramundi skillet was interesting, although I thought the crispy noodles were a bit much. The steak frites is marinated overnight and has a distinctive flavor that I couldn't put my finger on. But I liked it. The mac & cheese add on was terrific. Service was spectacular -- Rick the bartender was doubling as a waiter and really knew his menu and his bar, and was there when we needed something, but never too overbearing. All in all, a place I'd go back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Supply vs. DemandTetzel1517Dined on 12/24/2013We were staying at a hotel and desperate for some Christmas Eve dinner - it's not a tradition in our family, so we were left to our own devices. Social was one of the few restaurants that was open that night, and we're very glad it was. Their speciality seems to be high-end comfort food. I had a chicken salad sandwich that was fantastic and nothing like what you'd make at home or get at a neighborhood deli. My wife and mom both had the spaghetti and meatballs - an enormous serving with fresh pasta and great meatballs. The downside (and it's minor) is that the restaurant was clearly not prepared for being one of the few places open with decent food on Christmas Eve. Several menu items were unavailable as of 7 p.m. that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first visit here.stellaVIPDined on 12/23/2013This was our first visit here. We arrived 30 minutes prior to our reservation and tried to get a drink at the bar. It appeared they only had one person working the bar - so while we stood next to people who were served - no one acknowledged us for the entire 30 minutes. When we sat at the table - and ordered my husband was brought the wrong drink. But after a shaky start, dinner was great.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and fantasticfundineVIPDined on 12/22/2013Great atmosphere and fantastic food. One of our favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool as a CucumberAquariansea11Dined on 12/9/2013We enjoyed the kale salad and wine. There were a mountain of fries that looked good, but we didn't eat. It's a great brunch, lunch and dinner spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013The food was really good and so was service. The new skillet menu is a awesome idea!Special Features:
- We love this place but rarelyfoodfreakVIPDined on 11/18/2013We love this place but rarely go because reservations are not accepted during peak hours. We went on a Monday at 6:00...not busy! Loved the Brussels sprouts, oysters, seafood cobb and salmon. Good wines and liquor choices and good service. We'd love it if they would take reservations all the time.Special Features:
- Terrific Food OptionsTedGDined on 10/8/2013Great menu, both creative and incredibly well prepared food. Sets the benchmark for a kale salad...Special Features:
- Second visitKz44tzVIPDined on 10/8/2013Our first visit was much better. This visit was a girls night out. Our service was awful, it took 10 -15 minutes to take our drink order. The other issue I had was we were never asked if we wanted another drink. I might try again and next time I will say something about the poor service? The service often determines if I return.Special Features:
- Great FoodRoadwarrior5443VIPDined on 10/6/2013We found the restaurant on Open Table, surprised to find it. We drive past it many times. It realizing it was there. The food is wonderful however the noise level is quite high and the music is loud. We will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch visitLakshDined on 9/29/2013Despite having a reservation, was difficult to get a table at the appointed time - had to wait more than 15 minutes, although there were tables vacant. The wait staff seemed to be congregating more around the till. Food was okay - the menu was limited - they seemed to be capitalizing more on the ambience and novelty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday brunchJoeDDined on 9/29/2013Went for brunch Sunday, was our first time at Social. There were seats to be had right at opening but the place filled up quickly. Food was fantastic- I had steak and eggs and steak was phenomenal. Date had blueberry pancakes made with ricotta and topped with lemon curd. Absolutely amazing! I had a Bloody Mary- didn't want to leave table to go to awesome looking Bloody Mary bar so asked server to make one for me. May have been the best I've ever had. A great place to which I will often return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.