2919 Hennepin Ave.
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
Contemporary AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.socialhousempls.com/
- Phone: 6128246300x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday
5pm - 12am
Thursday - Saturday
5pm - 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Travis Wong & Long Nguyen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Social House, offers an extensive catering menu for any size group. We specialize in event planning, creative food creations and affordable pricing.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant is available to private parties, please contact the restaurant for further details.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 6128246300x
- Entertainment: The Posh Lounge punctuated by the spectacular bar, Social House elevates Guests' dining experience to new heights with gracious service, inviting conversation which decorates your intriguing lifestyle. The ambiance sets an unforgettable mood, but the Social House's crowning feature is the cuisine.
- Special Events: Social House is the perfect hot spot for any size group. Whether you are enjoying a lavish dinner to "popping the big question", celebrating a birthday or just a night our with friends, Social House is the perfect destination.
- Cross Street: Lagoon and Hennepin
- Public Transit: Social House, located on the corner of Hennepin and Lagoon, offers a mass transit station one block walking distance.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: On street parking available as well as an affordable pay lot directly behind Social House.
A word from Social House
Social House, perfectly situated on a fast paced exclusive corner in a thriving neighborhood of trendy young professionals-enter Social House. The atmosphere boasts enough lavish decor to knock your socks off, with seating inside the intimate and elegant candle lit dining room or in the posh lounge punctuated by the spectacular bar. Executive Sushi Chef, Long Nguyen and his signature Asian-fusion compliments to each entree by utilizing the freshest ingredients when hand crafting his exquisite sushi plates and intricate main course entrees.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Social House reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (4)fit for foodies (3)notable wine list (3)good for groups (2)special occasion (2)great for outdoor dining (2)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good food but way too loud...ready4dinnerVIPDined on 6/27/2014Food was great but the music was WAY too loud- hard to have a conversation at a 2 person table. I like having music in the background, but this was ridiculous- like the music was being played for the benefit of the staff and NOT the customers. We went on a not busy Friday night and there were tons of empty tables so it wasn't necessary to turn up the music to drown out other conversations. The wait staff needs to turn the music down. Despite the fact it wasn't too busy, it took a long time to get our apps and meal out. We may be back for the food and people watching but the slow service and the loud music volume make us think twice- there are lots of great places around town that have equally good food but better service and ambiance.
- Very Happyluv2dineDined on 6/27/2014This was our 10 anniversary and we try different foods because my husband used to be a chef. The Social house is in the perfect spot and the price is perfect. We have a family of 13 and I would truly take my kids there. Our server was extremely nice and quick and very helpful in recommending some of the dishes. I am glad we found this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 186 reviews are from the Social House reviews archive.
- uptownerDined on 6/1/2014Sushi is superb! rest of menu is hit and miss as many items not stocked regularly... Service is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool place, average foodShallotKnightDined on 5/24/2014My wife and I visited the social house on 5/24/2014 at 9:15pm. We were in Minneapolis for the night visiting family, and we wanted to get a sushi fix. We visited the social house based on google reviews, and did not know anything about the place. We were pleasantly surprised at the fusion of modern hip-hop and traditional japanese decor, very reminiscent of Samurai Champloo. Service was excellent, but unfortunately the food was standard fare. The sushi attempts to take risks and be different from the norm, which gets points with me at least, but some of the combinations of food seem haphazard and are trying harder to be different than tasty. Overall the service and ambiance wins me over. Would go again.Special Features:
- Who do they want to appeal to?Blacksmith3600VIPDined on 5/17/2014Four adults (mid/late-50's) were having supper before the late night crowd would arrive. We wanted to start with a cocktail. Scotch - my personal favorite. I eat out at least 10 times/week usually 4 evening meals are part of that. This was the single WORST list (or LACK OF options) I may have ever encountered. Food - good. BUT I won't be back soon. My rating - food would have been very good. For a cocktail to start the evening - IF they are trying to appeal to an adult crowd before their evening crowd - epic fail!Special Features:
- order multiple small platesdaveeatsDined on 5/17/2014The appetizers and sushi were outstanding!! So many flavors that it is fun to order small plates to share and therefore be able to try more!! Understand they specialize in cocktails but a little disappointed that beer was all in bottles vs. tap. Our server, Kat, was fun and so helpful in figuring out what to try. Only problem was that she liked EVERYTHING! But now we know why. Will definitely come back, maybe for a happy hour to get more to try. Kobe sliders were excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly spotUptownerDined on 4/26/2014I saw kids I saw couples I saw groups everyone was enjoying themselves. Honestly it was a great experience! Our waiter was a cutie & I loved his personality, but I was disappointed when he seemed to disapear after our food arrived. We weren't neglected by any means, other service staff took care of us, I just like to see the same face start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre choiceImpresarioVIPDined on 4/19/2014We were going to RedEye theatre and decided to eat in Uptown. The small plates on the menu were exactly what we needed, something filling but hot huge. They were tasty and reasonably priced. I would go there again, and recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Top Notch SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2014Social House has the best sushi we have found in the Twin Cities. After eating high end sushi it is always hard to find something that is comparable and Social House has done that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for FriendsEastsideDaveDined on 3/22/2014Interesting drinks. Good happy hour deals. Tasty sushi. Try this place and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We got there early and satOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014We got there early and sat at the bar. David, the bar tender was incredible and very nice to deal with. The food was great and our servers were nice as well. I would go back, but probably sit at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good atmosphere, awful sushiBoscoJosieDined on 3/21/2014The atmosphere and service at this place was great. The sushi was really awful. Even if they recommend the Captain Crunchy...do not try it! The sushi is overpriced and just horribly done. Would not recommend.
- DisappointedSengarDined on 3/8/2014We were looking for an alternative to chain restaurants (e.g., Big Bowl) and decided to give Social House a try. Drinks first - disappointed that the beer list was all bottles, no drafts, even though it looked like an extensive draft selection on the menu. Mixed drinks got mixed reviews. The sushi was okay, but took a looong time to get...not as good as at other places in town, plus it was too large, which made it difficult to eat. Main dishes (the house special lettuce wraps and the orange chicken) were very disappointing. The filling in the lettuce wraps were dry with little flavor. The orange chicken was over cooked, chewy and tasteless. Overall, the food was a big disappointment. Service, on the other hand, was quite good.
- New FavoriteHannahDined on 3/8/2014Social House has a unique atmosphere and unbeatable food. A little pricy but more than worth it. Love the sushi. I will definitely go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was on the more expensiveMelissaDined on 2/21/2014Food was on the more expensive side butit was delicious and the staff was fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeNicoleDined on 2/15/2014It was our first time to this restaurant. The host was unenthusiastic and initially made us feel unwelcome, but our server was great. The sushi rolls were delicious and they offer a large variety of unique rolls. They also have a good happy hour menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the costOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Delicious steak and rolls; tasty and potent cocktails. A little spendy, but worth it for special occasions.Special Features:
- great dinner!MandKDined on 2/14/2014We went on Valentine's Day, not sure what to expect, having never been there before. The ambiance was great, the food was spectacular (the corriander crusted sirloin small plate was absolutely delicious) and our server was attentive but not overbearing. The price was very reasonable as well. We even arrived about 10 minutes early and they found a table for us instead of making us wait. The only negative is that the tables are rather close together, but I kind of expected that at a place in uptown. Would definitely go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hourYummDined on 2/13/2014My boyfriend and I went there intending to utilize their Thursday Date Night special. Instead, we ate everything off their Happy Hour menu, as it was half off all appetizers and many of their sushi rolls! Half off rails, domestics and call cocktails too! With the happy hour going from 5-7 on Monday thru Saturday, this place is awesome for those who want awesome food and are on a budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and setting. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/8/2014Great food and setting. Our group of 6 was well received and taken care of during the total evening. It was a very enjoyable setting allowing us to enjoy great conversation.Special Features:
- Solid quick bite.richoleguyDined on 1/18/2014Consistently great sushi and small plates. Nice cocktails. Fantastic drink, small plate, and sushi specials. I really appreciate the modern Asian fusion decor. This is a great spot! One of my favs. It's one of the only restaurants I have gone to back to back nights. I hope it never gets as packed as Chino.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great time and theUptowndinerDined on 12/28/2013We had a great time and the food was great. Our server was new, but very nice. Our only complaint was that the food was served in a disjointed fashion-- some of us were served early, but those who ordered sushi were left sitting with nothing for a long time. (It was worth the wait when it came, however). You more than made up for it with complimentary deserts at the end of the meal (a very nice surprise).Special Features:
- First-timer - Very Impressed!racheatsVIPDined on 12/14/2013My friend and I wanted to give this place a shot and we're glad we did. We ordered three different rolls - all amazing. I especially loved the Firecracker roll and the Lobster roll, a little kick to them (and they're really big). I would definitely go back - it has some of the best sushi in town and the atmosphere is great, I was actually surprised it wasn't more crowded. It's a great place for a girls night, which I will be planning soon. Oh, and I thought the price was right on, not overly-priced wine and sushi, A+ in my book.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodKristinVIPDined on 12/14/2013The food was very good. We had 4 different rolls and they were all fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Date NightLovesFindingGreatFoodDined on 12/12/2013My husband and I went for their $30 date night which includes an "appetizer", 2 entrees and a bottle of wine for $30. The menu to select from was very disappointing. The Appetizer choice was either a cucumber salad or a soba noddle salad. Not exactly my idea of an appetizer. The entrees had 3 meager meals to pick from. We picked the teriakyi steak on soba noodles. It was okay. It was edible but covered in soy sauce and salt to give it flavor. I wish we could have seen the menu online before deciding to come here. Also the picture on the wall of a naked tattoo man was very distracting.
- Beautiful place, food averageBudgetFoodieDined on 11/29/2013Really cool and beautiful interior, would be a fun place to go with a small group. Large and interesting food and drink menu selection--we had happy hour drinks, small plates and sushi rolls. Happy hour prices great. Food was interesting but overall a little bland. Nice drink menu. I would go again, but more for drinks and an app, but wouldn't be a meal destination place for me again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with my guyLBandWpDined on 11/15/2013My boyfriend and I had dinner at Social House on Friday. This is the only restaurant we go to for sushi. My boyfriend lives out of state so I make a reservation every time we go. The sushi was amazing as always. The ambience was perfect for our evening. My boyfriend presented me with an amazing gift at the restaurant which proved to be the perfect setting. Unfortunately, I am moving out state soon so the Social House will no longer be our sushi restaurant of choice but, I have recommended it to everyone I know. Who knows, maybe it will become some other couple's "spot" too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServicealyeakDined on 11/15/2013Loved their happy hour! Great sushi. #9 roll was delicious as well as the veggie roll. The veggie roll came with sweet potatoes and was a fun twist! However, service was interesting. I don't think our waitress was really with it. Slow service in the beginning and gave our appetizer to a different table. After they realized their mistake, service was much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingTina0830Dined on 11/15/2013My fiance and I went to this restaurant for a bite before seeing a movie at the Uptown Theater. We arrived at 6pm knowing the movie started at 7:10, thinking we would have plenty of time. This wasn't the case since we were about 15 minutes late to the movie due to slow service. We even told our server we were trying to catch a movie at 7...guess that didn't make a difference. Also, I ordered the soup that stated it came with soba noodles, cucumbers, and mango. When it came it was about the size of my fist with one small piece of cucumber and mango. My fiance's sushi did not come out until 40 minutes later. I just expected more for the price and location. Would not go back again, unless I was just getting drinks. The plum wine was good.Special Features:
- WonderfulMaryDined on 10/26/2013Had a great time sampling the small plates during half price happy hour. Delicious Sake!Special Features:
- DeliciousErinDined on 10/16/2013Our service was excellent! Megan was there the second we needed anything. The food and drinks seemed to be ready as quick as we ordered. This was our first time here and we took many of Megan's suggestions- such a fabulous meal!! She did an excellent job of making us comfortable at the restaurant. You can tell she really loves helping people explore what the Social House menu has to offer- it certainly made our anniversary stand out. Also the Lava Cake- whoa! So amazing!!! Will be coming back for sure- a fancy looking place with a comfy vibe is totally my scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerBenjDined on 10/14/2013We had a great dinner at the Social House this past week. The happy hour menu is not only priced well, the food is delicious. I highly recommend for a fun evening in Uptown.Special Features:
- So much fun!NoizyDined on 10/12/2013I made reservations for a party of 9 people to celebrate my birthday. I have dined with Social House previously and thought it was more of a bar atmosphere the first time I went. I think the restaurant has since expanded its dining area with a sushi bar and bigger space to accommodate large parties. This area is a little bit quieter and feels more intimate. The service was spectacular and my guests and I had so much fun. For your birthday they also give you a complimentary birthday dessert. I would highly recommend this restaurant for a special event if you want some place that is trendy but isnt stuffy and that is also moderately priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed a wonderful arrayDebbieDined on 10/5/2013We enjoyed a wonderful array of sushi, and they brought out a special dessert with giant birthday sparkler for my daughter's birthday. Location is great, setting is fun!Special Features:
- chill placematthaumschildDined on 10/4/2013The place has excellent music playing all the time and the vibe is something that's worth coming back for. My only issue with the place is, the booths are too small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi for a Great Date!UptownSushiDined on 9/20/2013I am new to Uptown and went to the Social House with my girlfriend based on a neighbors recommendation. The sushi chef was great, I suggest trying the Crunchy roll and going to their happy hour. I will go back to this restaurant and did not give 5/5 stars as the hostess was a little rude.Special Features:
- I love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/7/2013Everything about this place rocks. The food and drinks were very yummy. The ambiance was super chill and hip. The staff was attentive and lively. The only complaint that I have is that this was my first time here. I wish I had been here a lot sooner. I will definitely be back for food and cocktails.Special Features:
- SushipaloozaLebanesegirlDined on 8/30/2013There are so many options of maki and all are reasonably priced! Definitely one of my favorite restaurants now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, great food.CostelloDined on 8/13/2013Social House blends atmosphere and music that I like, with likable food as well. The Miso soup is killer alongside a meal, and the sushi rice is to die for. The sushi is really good and not badly priced, I managed to keep myself under $25 and still have a great meal and a great date. The service was just alright, but could have used some charisma to make the night more special. Over all I give this joint a 4/5 because it's a unique atmospheric experience and excellent sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice looking inside, sub par food..EaterouterVIPDined on 7/5/2013I ordered a tempura dish, a cauliflower dish, a roll and edamame. The roll was good, the small plates were not. They were flavorless and overly breaded (tempura) and heavy. I ordered green tea and was brought a cup of Bigelow green tea.... It just wasn't that great for actually eating dinner, looked more like a trendy see and be seen atmosphere.Special Features: