Socarrat Midtown East
953 Second Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
Socarrat Midtown East
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.socarratnyc.com/
- Phone: 2127590101
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Executive Chef: Jesus "LOLO" Manso
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call us for details, as we can tailor any event to meet your needs. Catering for 6 to 600!
A word from Socarrat Midtown East
“Socarrat” is that delectable, scrumptious crust that forms at the bottom of the paella pan when the liquid is rendered and the rice has reached its peak of succulence. In other words, “socarrat” is the result of paella cooked to perfection. To us, we have come to think of “Socarrat” as a standard of perfection to aim for in everything we do.Continued
We look forward to sharing the best flavors of Spain with you. SALUD!
We look forward to sharing the best flavors of Spain with you. SALUD!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Socarrat Midtown East reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (36)good for groups (31)neighborhood gem (30)romantic (19)great for lunch (12)special occasion (11)vibrant bar scene (11)great for outdoor dining (8)notable wine list (7)hot spot (6)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great Tapas Great ServiceSeymourVIPDined on 8/22/2014We did death by appetizer and ordered a wide variety of dishes. Everything was incredibly tasty and well prepared. Service was friendly , attentive yet not overdone. Will absolutely go back.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 8/20/2014Always a fun place and good food but it takes way too long to get drinks.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/1/2014Was going to have the famed paella dinner with friends but plans fell through so decided to just have drinks and tapas instead. Friday happy hour looked to be a good deal with $5 wine/beer/sangria and 1/2 priced tapas. However, the pricing only applied to the bar or high tops both which were full. Is this a new concept or did happy hour always worked this way? Restaurant Week menu choices were very limited and if you had the paella, 2 people had to have it (this is true on the RW menu as well as the regular menu.) The tapas were tasty. Service was very friendly and prompt. Would likely return to taste the paella.
- Overpriced and slowBlairDined on 7/31/2014My boyfriend and I went here on a Thursday evening and ordered one tapa to start and some paella. The food took FOREVER to come- an hour before we got the paella. All the while, no check-in or next round of drinks from the server. The paella is enough for both of us, but if my boyfriend had been really hungry, or we hadn't gotten that tapa, it wouldn't have been big enough for two of us. The thing is, they are priced per person, with a minimum of two people! Meaning, you have to share them. In my opinion they are extremely overpriced ($25 per person for mediocre paella) and that pricing module is scammy and deceptive in small print on the menu.
- Enjoyable EveningfoodjoyDined on 7/14/2014We enjoyed a second visit to Socarrat the other night. We shared a few tapas and a paella for two. We especially liked the fried artichokes and the garlic shrimp. Our guest was a vegetarian. There were plenty of options for her on the menu. We all enjoyed the vegetarian paella. It was flavorful and satisfying even to the non-vegetarians. The servers were very friendly and the pace of the dinner was perfect. If you are concerned about noise, ask to sit upstairs. The bar on the first floor makes it a little noisier downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas better than paellaRemyDined on 7/7/2014The red sangria was the best I've had in the city - a lot of places tend to make it overly sweet, or very obviously sour and tastes like a bad red with fruit floating around, but the sangria at Socarrat was delicious and not overly sweet. The squid, octopus and croquettes in particular were very good. We also ordered the squid ink and socarrat paella - personally I found the rice to be overly mushy and wet, and preferred the tapas, however, the rest of the dinner party seemed to enjoy it very much.Special Features:
- Greta Paellla!TravelingGuyDined on 7/5/2014One of the best paellas stateside. Fresh seafood, great combination of ingredients and very friendly staff.Special Features:
- Great tapas. Paella, and sangria!ToddVIPDined on 7/1/2014Fun place, great food and drinks, best for sharing, the paella is better than we had in Spain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas and paella.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014The paella was excellent. The rice was well seasoned. We really enjoyed the date tapas and the bacalao.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageJunJDined on 6/9/2014Been to Madrid & Barcelona a week ago that's why made some comparison, seafoods must cook with the rice ( a little burn) for what they are famous like in Valencia, Spain... Tapas were good and the Rosè and Sangria too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedjungahDined on 6/3/2014After reading the reviews, I came here with high expectations. We started off with some tapas which were just fair in flavor. Having eaten authentic paella and tapas from Spain, we thought this place would let us enjoy a similar experience. We ordered the Socarrat paella but it was a bit too salty to my taste, the rice was not cooked enough, and it was slightly burned. Unfortunately, we won't be returning.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/1/2014Scoarrat was delicious! We had a great group dinner and I would definitely go back. The food, service, decor and server's recommendations were all great.Special Features:
- Great TapasturtlebayDined on 5/31/2014There was a great variety of tapas, all of them very good. We also split a paella which was also outstanding. The wine selection was very good as well. It is very noisy but they accommodated our request for a quiet table by putting us on a balcony overlooking Second Av. This was our third visit here and we have been very pleased each time.Special Features:
- Socarrat's paellaLauraVIPDined on 5/31/2014The rice in their paella is cooked al dente - crunchy - a little different than other paella I've had. Great tapas!Special Features:
- tasty as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014consistent place - been here a handful of times now and it churns out great food and the service is very attentive and polite...Special Features:
- Yummy Spanish food!FoodloverVIPDined on 5/29/2014The service was friendly and polite - the food was amazing! We are definitely going back.Special Features:
- Really solid mealdnycVIPDined on 5/21/2014Brought my fiance here for his birthday and a friend decided to join us. The restaurant had no problem adding one more to our party. The red sangria was strong and delicious. The iberico ham was the stuff of legends, and the patatas bravas and croquetas came in a white sauce I'd happily dip a shoe into. We split the Cordero paella and it was perfect. Hearty, a great big portion, not too salty, the rice was perfectly crispy. Definitely a hit. Dessert was chocolate beignets. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Good foodMehitwasokVIPDined on 5/16/2014Good food but expensive- did not know the price for the paella was per person! Im not much of a paella lover, went for a friends bday but loved the tapas. Get the gambas al ajillo and croquetas. Cheese plate was kind of pathetic. Al in all 3/5Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 127 reviews are from the Socarrat Midtown East reviews archive.
- ljwnycDined on 5/3/2014Great place. I love all the soccarats, but this one especially because it is in my neighborhood. Paella is great (though I think true Spanish cooks would tell you they may cheat a little on their preparation). Super tasty regardless, reasonably priced place too. Nice scene inside and they have a patio upstairs that I imagine is open with tables in the warmer months. Nice little spot to sit outside and be a little bit "away from it all" since you're not right on the pedestrian sidewalks in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally average PaellaGRRRVIPDined on 4/21/2014This place is definitely not worth it. I don't think I would go again. The waiter screwed up our order a few times and just seemed rather disinterested in serving us. I won't be coming back!
- Tapas are the best !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014Especially love the chef's Coca del Dia flat bread tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pls improve-want to like this placeloyalifearnedDined on 4/14/2014consistency in quality needs serious improvement. please work on this.Special Features:
- Great paella at a very good priceSm1thy37Dined on 4/13/2014We were a bit stuck with somewhere to eat that wasn't going to cost $$$$, and found this place very lively for a Sunday evening. Starters were good, and obviously you have to have paella for main course. We chose the meat option (allergy to seafood), and it tasted great. Really generous portions for the price, and the deserts were good too. Always nice to see when a restaurant has multiple locations around the city, as this one does, as you know it must be doing something right.Special Features:
- Mediocre serviceKC2013Dined on 4/11/2014Our experience was affected by the general state of confusion of the wait staff, who misled us on the specials and who also told us incorrect information on the size of the dishes we ordered and the number of people they would serve. We ended up spending far more than we should have ... the tab would have been about 40% less ... if we had been properly informed about the lunch special ... we ate virtually the same food! This is a huge criticism of the wait staff. That being said, the food was indeed delicious and the portions were ample. We would go back, but carefully.
- Downtown Atmosphere UptownDianeBDined on 3/20/2014A friend came into town and we wanted to go downtown but could not make the logistics work and I found Soccart East thru opentable. I ate at the Soccarat in Soho about 2 years ago and was pleasantly surprised to see that they have opened a resturant in mid town. The Paella is great and their signature dish, and a perfect meal to share as well as the tapas or small plates. Resturant is small and has a downtown edge and a great bar which gives the resturant a relaxed ambience. Definitely fun for groups all the food is totally shareable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best Paellas in townJoseDined on 3/15/2014Socarrat serves a great paella. The word Socarrat means the slightly burnt rice at the bottom of the paella...before serving, stir well so that the burnt rice mixes with the rest and you will get the best possible flavor!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Place in 2nd aveMarcoPoloDined on 3/14/2014this place is great from drinks (reina mora), tapas (Seared Tuna), and Paella (carne), usually i seat at the bar for happy hour with 5 dollars sangria ( need to take advantage of this deal) then i moved to a table. this places is getting better and better
- MixedMikeVIPDined on 3/12/2014We love the Nolita location and for both locations, the food is fantastic. Problem is that the first floor of Midtown is really more of a bar than a restaurant and service reflects that. There was a group of 8 in the middle which made the noise level insane (my head is still pounding from the noise level) so that we couldn't speak across the table (we were two people) without shouting. Bigger problem was service - half the time our server and hostess were flirting/chatting/hanging with the bartender and you had to wave your arms to get any attention. It was like that throughout the meal - that said, the waitress was pleasant and friendly just rarely available. I would return to Nolita but would think twice about the Midtown location.
- We went for happy hour andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/10/2014We went for happy hour and it was staggering to order so much really good food and see a check that didn't break your wallet. Will def be back here soon. Our bartender was excellent, as well. Don't remember her name, but it started with an "F" and she was amazing...kept everyone's glasses and plates full.Special Features:
- Great TapasJbfreedmDined on 3/9/2014While overall a great experience, I was a little disappointed. While a bit overpriced, the tapas were out do this world. The paella however, was a little disappointing, considering it calls itself a paella bar. We had wait almost 45 minutes to get the paella that was specifically made for us and when we did, the paella was cold and the portion was lacking. Also the seating of the restaurant was on top of each other so take that into consideration. Overall though a good experience. Would definitely go back for the tapas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightNewfan1Dined on 3/8/2014Service was sharp, and drinks were great, highly recommend the carne paellaSpecial Features:
- Paella funGood4groupsDined on 2/28/2014Great place, good food. Paella is not the best the rice was too hard, but great price m great sangriaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real findOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/25/2014The paella was among the best I've had either in the US or in Spain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!luvtoeat77Dined on 2/22/2014The food is always great here, very solid! The portions are big and pergect for sharing. Best to start with the appetizers and move on to the paella. YUM!, YUM! Always fantasticSpecial Features:
- best paella in town,amazing staffsaralovestoeatDined on 2/21/2014Socarrat's paella never disappoints! SCRUMPTIOUS. And the staff is so friendly and amazing. And our waiter recommended a great wine, Tinto Pesquera, which went so well w/ our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I don't recomend this placeElefant3Dined on 2/15/2014I askd for two different paella and The rice of the paella was hard. The other is "carne" the same but burnd I will never go back to this place.Special Features:
- Best Paella everSpitdocVIPDined on 2/8/2014Restaurant was very accomodating of our changing guest total. Had a really sweet and competent waitress, Diana who had a very good feel for the ingredients in each dish. Tapas were good especially the brussel sprouts and fried Artichokes. We ordered the signature and Squid ink paellas and boy were they yummy. In our party of 6 adults/ one toddler, next time I would order Paella for 5 and delay two tapas to be served with the Paella to save money since I'm sure no one completey empties the pan given the generous servings. We will return!Special Features:
- Had great time with my friendsmochamochaVIPDined on 2/6/2014I had a dinner with my six other friends there last night. Our table was a window table on 2FL and the table was big enough and nice spot, but it was a bit too cold for us due to the big window in this cold weather... Tapas was a bit smaller than other tapas place, but their paella (We ordered their original paella and squid ink one) was very good. I can recommend if you want to enjoy Spanish tapas in either small or big group in Midtown East.Special Features:
- Great Spanish Food!ToddVIPDined on 2/1/2014We went to Spain for 2 weeks this summer. The paella at Socarrat is better than what we had there (although we didn't get to Valencia). The food here is terrific, and the tapas are absolutely authentic. We also loved the pitcher of Cava Sangria. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TapasbodeDined on 1/31/2014This is my go to place for Tapas. I've been to some other places but keep coming back here. I feel they have more selection and good sangria.I would recommend this to a friend.