207 S. Main St.
Greenville, SC 29601Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sobys.com/
- Phone: 8642327007
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm. Sunday Brunch: 10:30 am - 1:30 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shaun Garcia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Soby's offers full service off-site catering with custom tailored menus for events of any type or size, from developing themes and planning menus to securing rentals, set up and staffing.
- Private Party Facilities: With 6,100 square feet of space, Soby’s is the perfect place to host your event. Soby’s can seat parties up to 100 on the semi-private Mezzanine level with the option for limited menus or ala carte ordering. For completely private events, The Loft at Soby’s can accommodate groups from 20 – 100.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Tollison; Lauren Van De Water 8888415724
A word from Soby's
Soby’s New South Cuisine is an eclectic blend of Contemporary Continental cuisine infused with traditional Southern ingredients, transforming old favorite into something fresh and new. The restaurant is located in the heart of downtown Greenville, in a renovated cotton mill built in the 1800s. The atmosphere is warm and energetic and the staff is well-trained to provide a fantastic dining experience for all of our guests. In addition, the wine list offers more than 500 selections and is a Wine Spectator Magazine award-winner for the past eight years, a 'Best of Award of Excellence' the past two.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Soby's - Best Restaurants in Greenville ›
Soby's reviews from OpenTable diners
339 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (202)fit for foodies (171)great for outdoor dining (154)notable wine list (138)good for groups (121)neighborhood gem (109)romantic (106)hot spot (81)great for brunch (78)vibrant bar scene (56)scenic view (31)late-night find (25)kid-friendly (23)great for lunch (20)Show More
- 56th Wedding AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014My bride of 56 years and I enjoyed a delightful celebration at Soby's, Wednesday, August 27. The server was absolutely marvelous - attentive, personable and had us a comp glass of champaign as soon as we were seated. We did the Foodie Menu. My wife's Trout was delightful. My Port Tenderloin was tasteless, bland and in two words - totally unacceptable - but I did not wish to complain on my anniversary so I let it go. I will not order that meal again, to be sure. All in all, Soby's is still one of our favorite places to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014My daughter & I were visiting Clemson and staying in Greenville before flying home. We wanted something nice for dinner and she found Soby's online and made a reservation. We were seated on the patio, which was nice but the inside seating looked great too. My daughter had the filet mignon and I had the cornmeal crusted trout, also excellent. Our server Rick was friendly and attentive. I'd love to go back if we're ever in the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch was boringOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014We were not pleased with the brunch. We loved it our first brunch, but this one was very boring. Hard salmon, pork sliders and pork roast on the carving board. Not enough variation. Pork and more pork. Won't be going backSpecial Features:
- Even better the second time.FurmanFamilyDined on 8/23/2014This was our second visit to Soby's and the food exceed our high expectations. The half shrimp & grits/ half crab cake entree was perfect. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2014Three couples went to Soby's. Food was average. Wine by the glass was reasonable in both price and selection. Wine by the bottle was outrageously high. They marked up wines 2.5 times the retail price. Dined outside which was enjoyable. Our waiter was inexperienced. Suggested only the most expensive food and wine on the list. When we asked if he tried what he recommended he said no. Would not go back to this place. There are many better restaurants in Greenville than this.
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/23/2014Always a wonderful meal with great service. Pork tenderloin was terrific as alwaysSpecial Features:
- OK experience, too pricey for "OK"DiningDudeDined on 8/22/2014My Grouper dish was very tasty, but the fish was overcooked and rubbery. My friends filet mignon lacked the texture and taste of other restaurants that serve the same at a lower price. Had not been there in several years. Not as good as we remembered from the past. For the price we will probably go elsewhere next time.
- Foodie Fest Fave!JlynnDined on 8/22/2014Great evening for Foodie Fest - should have brought a third friend so we could have tried ALL of the entrees!Special Features:
- Superb, as alwaysQueenDined on 8/22/2014Never a bad meal at Soby's. Highly recommend for food, wine, and especially dessert! The white chocolate banana cream pie is our favorite.Special Features:
- Soby's So Very GoodPDSCDined on 8/21/2014We dined here to celebrate a birthday and are glad we did. The Food and service were very good. We had the She Crab soup and the Mussels as starters, both were outstanding, possibly the best we ever had. For entrees we had the Grouper and the Hanger Steak, they too were very good. The host made us feel very welcome and our server Lynette was very personable, she helped in making our evening very enjoyable. Would certainly plan on dining here again.Special Features:
- Excellent Service, Food, AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014I took clients to Soby's for dinner and had an incredible experience. The ambiance was the perfect blend of activity without being too loud to have a conversation ... Our server ,Soup, was outstanding - personable, accommodating, excellent with suggestions and pairings - a true gem ! The menu was well developed and we truly enjoyed ourselves. We will use Soby's and Table 301 for our upcoming events and look forward to many more visits when in Greenville !Special Features:
- Out of town visitors loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Family visitors came down from New York cit and this was my first choice of where to take them for dinner. They are well traveled (domestic and internationally) and are sure to indulge in great food wherever they go. They loved everything that was ordered starting with the Fried Green Tomatoes and the She Crab Soup to the entrees and the wine. It was a short trip, but Soby's being a must see along with Falls Park, I was able to treat my family to some of the best that Greenville has to offer. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Riding on the nameIdmaIjanDined on 8/17/2014I haven't been to Soby's in quite some time for a reason. I could spend less and make better at home. On a lark, decided to try brunch last Sunday. It was OK. Poor service, food was mediocre. Going through the brunch line, there were no plates. Had to wait about 5 minutes for a plate. Nothing was outstanding or anything I wanted to try again. The omelet station. I felt sorry for the guy making the omelets. He was the only one that seemed to be working hard. I hoped they tipped him out well. In my opinion he should have received all the tips. There was also a beef carving station with the omelets. The beef was tough. No one consistently manned the carving station, so at times it was left up to the omelet maker. Terrible. I'll not go back.
- Nice Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Quite a wide spread of food for brunch. Impressed with the easy flow even though it can get very crowded. Friendly staff.Special Features:
- Awesome food and atmosphere!!!Foodieatheart1Dined on 8/16/2014My friends and I enjoyed our experience! The food was great and we loved the atmosphere of the restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealSimpsonvilleGalDined on 8/16/2014Once again Soby's did not disappoint. We took out of town guests to Soby's. They had an evening special of Halibut from Alaska. My friend said it was one of the best meals she's ever had. Their menu changes seasonally and most of their vegetables are from local farms. Joe provided us with great service. He's very knowledgeable about the menu. I highly recommend Soby's but be sure to make a reservation.Special Features:
- Nice findJdubsDined on 8/15/2014Overall a great experience. I would have given it a 5 if the portions were a little bigger for the prices charged.Special Features:
- Date Night FavoritelittlemisshungryDined on 8/14/2014After deciding to skip out on the place we were planning to try, a new place, we decided to go with an outstanding safe spot at Sobys. Service was tenative yet not overbearing. The food was prompt, filling and of the best quality and taste. We loved that we could see into the kitchen from our balcony table. Have been before and will go many many times again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingfunmom1Dined on 8/14/2014We loved everything about this place! The food is great especially the fried green tomatoes and crab cakes. They have an extensive wine list. The service was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodlover53Dined on 8/10/2014Went for the brunch. Absolutely great value for the price. Everyone stsying in Greenville should stop in at Soby's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ToesToesDined on 8/8/2014We arrived a little early but were seated promptly. Our waiter was prompt and attentive without being obtrusive. He made wine recommendations and did not rush us on our choice. The Fried Green Tomato appetizer was delicious as were our entrees. I have seen some reviewers say that substitutions of sides were not permitted but we had no trouble substituting for what we wanted. Overall, a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DlouDined on 8/8/2014Awesome to Pimento cheese, Wine and snapper!!! Great meal!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014My first visit was outstanding. I had to plan an evening for my work's corporate visitors from Toronto and it was a knockout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sub-par foodFoodie123VIPDined on 8/6/2014Took my parents, who were visiting me in the south for the first time, to Soby's because I've always had a good meal there. Both mine and my mother's meals were poor quality. My mother's crab cake was dull in flavor and made with cheap crab meat. My shrimp and grits was served with small shrimp and the grits were swimming in sauce that was too salty. Barely any grits. I won't be taking my visitors here anymore. Very disappointed. Fortunately, our server was friendly and cheerful.
- Great service and foodJohnPDined on 8/5/2014Just a great expereince........service was very very good, great recommendations and with all the large groups at resturant, we did not feel left out.Special Features:
- Southern UpscaleVirginiatravelerDined on 8/3/2014Soby's offers southern food with a flair. The grilled Salmon was paired with jalapeño corn fritters and homemade biscuits. You won't find that combo in very many places, but it was excellent. The wine-by-the-glass selection was quite extensive and varied from North America, to Down Under to South America to Europe. The waiter was knowledgeable and suggested a French Sauvignon Blanc from Sancerre France. Excellent choice. This isn't the cheapest place to dine, but the food was up to the test!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The service was great!!!! Hector was wonderful. The food was deliciously appetizing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.....periodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014They had a problem with seating. Gave us a free appetizer on the house. The waiter was great, engergetic, and was excited about the food he was serving. Everything was cooked to perfection. It's got a price tag, but normally quality does.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night Outdkporter62Dined on 8/2/2014Thanks so much for the great meal. My wife and I came with a couple friend of ours and it was fantastic. We sat out on the patio and the weather was gorgeous. I recommend Sobys to everyone who wants a great meal at a great price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServicesenecakidsDined on 7/27/2014The food was amazing, and the service was spot on. I'm a waiter myself and our waiter was perfect and helped out for any and all questions we had. The restaurant itself is beautiful and the over all atmosphere was great. The food arrived timely and hot, which was awesome for how busy they were. Overall, very very pleased.Special Features:
- First visit to Gville and Soby's!LizzieDined on 7/26/2014Happy we made the weekend escape from Charlotte to Greenville. All reviews pointed to Soby's and we are glad that we selected this place to eat dinner. Saturday night and packed inside and out, we were seated on the upper level which was just ok and a bit noisy but the food was outstanding. I had the crab cakes and my husband had the shrimp and grits which were both prepared to perfection. We even had desert, the peach cobbler warmed with vanilla ice cream, YUMMY. The entire downtown area was bustling. What a great time we had. We will be back.Special Features:
- Soby's FanfoodietayDined on 7/26/2014Soby's is a must try in downtown Greenville. Great dining area inside and out. Our entire party raved about the fried green tomatoes. The shrimp and grits were the best I have ever eaten and I have tried them at many restaurants. The trout and pork tenderloin were also excellent. Amazingly attentive wait staff made several well received suggestions and answered all of our questions. Wonderful atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite spotFavplace2dineDined on 7/25/2014I am so glad I found this place. They are GREAT. The food is awesome. The staff are some of the best I have seen. The whole vibe of this place is great. Makes for a great night out. And as a bonus being able to walk downtown and that the rest of downtown in is a big added plus. I just love this place.Special Features:
- DisappointedBirthdayFiascoDined on 7/24/2014I have been to Soby's before and absolutely loved it, however this experience was a bit of a disappointment. You have recently changed the menu, and I don't think for the better... It was my birthday dinner and I was so excited for my family to try it, but my sister's medium rare steak was burnt, my dad's meal was so spicy he couldn't enjoy it, my meal was also spicy yet bland (not sure how that combo happened) and my mom was really disappointed in the duck, which used to be one of my favorites. Also the Creme Brule was removed from the desert menu, so I wasn't even able to enjoy the desert I wanted on my birthday. Overall it wasn't a very good experience, but maybe I had just set my expectations to high. I'm not sure I would try again.Special Features:
- 32aniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/24/2014Food, wine, and service was magnificent. Is one of our favorite dinning venues.Special Features:
- dtgrestaurant1Dined on 7/24/2014wonderful experience for farm to fork dining. would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent WinesBusinesstraveler2014VIPDined on 7/23/2014Being a fan of good wines, I was very surprised and delighted to see BR Cohn and Schug on the list. They steamed mussels were exceptional, our server Lisa extremely accommodating and attentive, and the grouper, steak and salmon were all fantastic choices. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014We had a large group of 13 and then added a single at the last minute. We had a great time and food was excellent. Liked it so much I went back the next night with my parents and aunt and ordered the Ribeye again!Special Features:
- marstelesDined on 7/20/2014This was our first visit and the entire staff made us feel at home. The menu was creative, the food fantastic, and the service was flawless. This is now one of my favorite places in Greenville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great price for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/20/2014Had a wonderful Sunday brunch - good selection of food, GREAT desserts. My problem, not theirs: Bloody Mary was a little stronger and spicier than expected, but the price was great.Special Features: