207 S. Main St.
Greenville, SC 29601Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sobys.com/
- Phone: (864) 232-7007
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm. Sunday Brunch: 10:30 am - 1:30 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shaun Garcia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Soby's offers full service off-site catering with custom tailored menus for events of any type or size, from developing themes and planning menus to securing rentals, set up and staffing.
- Private Party Facilities: With 6,100 square feet of space, Soby’s is the perfect place to host your event. Soby’s can seat parties up to 100 on the semi-private Mezzanine level with the option for limited menus or ala carte ordering. For completely private events, The Loft at Soby’s can accommodate groups from 20 – 100.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Tollison; Lauren Van De Water 8888415724
A word from Soby's
Soby’s New South Cuisine is an eclectic blend of Contemporary Continental cuisine infused with traditional Southern ingredients, transforming old favorite into something fresh and new. The restaurant is located in the heart of downtown Greenville, in a renovated cotton mill built in the 1800s. The atmosphere is warm and energetic and the staff is well-trained to provide a fantastic dining experience for all of our guests. In addition, the wine list offers more than 500 selections and is a Wine Spectator Magazine award-winner for the past eight years, a 'Best of Award of Excellence' the past two.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Soby's - Best Restaurants in Greenville ›
Soby's reviews from OpenTable diners
324 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (196)special occasion (189)notable wine list (132)good for groups (120)great for outdoor dining (114)neighborhood gem (114)hot spot (95)romantic (90)great for brunch (77)vibrant bar scene (47)late-night find (29)kid-friendly (16)scenic view (15)great for lunch (15)Show More
- Soby's never fails to impress!Love2EatOutVIPDined on 11/24/2014I have dined regularly at Soby's for all of its 16-17 year history and it just keeps getting better. Had the kale salad and grouper special tonight. Incredible!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2014She crab soup, bacon Mac & cheese, angus filet great. Most tender steak ever had. My husband had crab cakes, their signature item but not impressed. Would def go back & have same things I had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- urnecieVIPDined on 11/23/2014The food was great! The buffet line was long and there was little room to move. Ran out of plates. We had a table by the main aisle, which was very distracting and crowded with people going to and from their tables.Special Features:
- Good place, but the roof leaksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2014We had Sunday bunch at Soby's. The food and service were good. The brunch was a buffet and the selection was nice, and it was nice that they had it on two levels. The restaurant was busy, but we didn't have to wait as we had reservations and were seated promptly. I especially liked the mimosas and desserts. The only problem we had is that it was a very rainy day and their roof leaks! I could feel some rain on my shoulder a couple of times, and I thought it was my imagination or leftover rain from walking to the restaurant, but I finally noticed a puddle next to my chair and looked up. Sure enough, there was a leak in the roof. The waitress told us that they have that issue every time it rains. We liked the place, but I highly recommend that the management fix the roof leaks! We will go back and try them for dinner, but will check the weather first to make sure it's a clear evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but..........UpstatedinersDined on 11/22/2014Had crab cakes which were good but I think $26 for two small crab cakes, a spoon full of mashed potatoes, six asparagus stems and less than a spoon of corn is a bit steep for what it is. Nothing really gourmet about it or that special. We still like Sobys and go there once a month or more but they need to step up their game a little as there are lots of places and more announced every day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014Excellent service this time (Ashley, I think was our waitress)! Funny & "playful" Grouper & filet mignons supberb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soby's is always a good choice.LULUDined on 11/22/2014We had a wonderful dinner on Saturday. Heading out to see James Taylor. The waitress was very accommodating in getting us out in a timely fashion. Neighborhood gem for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening with great foodSkibuckDined on 11/22/2014Had reservations and seated promptly. The server acknowledged the birthdays in our party. Apps and entrees were very good. Wine list extensive but prices high. Seated upstairs which was quieter than downstairs. Had a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American Cuisine w/ Fantasic FlarePhenomenalFoodFreakDined on 11/21/2014Made a late Friday evening reservation for two. Arrived to be greeted by a very nice hostess that informed us that our table wasn't ready and it would be a ten minute wait. Another party waiting, shared that the bar was very nice for waiting an had an exceptional wine list and a decent beer selection. Our table was ready before we made it to the bar. We were seated upstairs. It would have been nice if we had been asked if we preferred to be seated upstairs or downstairs. We managed upstairs fine despite recent surgery though. The staircase is a tad narrow for traffic going up and coming down. We had to stop twice going up to allow parties coming down to squeeze pass with their belongings. To get to our table we had to step up steps, it would have been nice had our hostess warned us because the upstairs lighting was dimmer. Our server appeared shortly after our seating, greeted us and informed all features for the night were no longer available but recommended popular dishes and diner favorites. We ordered the fried green tomato appetizer that had a nice plating and a tasty sauce. My only complaint was the number of tomato slices for the price. I felt at least two more tomato slices should have been included for the price. The butternut squash soup was phenomenal and well portioned for sharing. A splash of cream sprinkled with cinnamon on top would have pushed the soup out of this world. The short ribs were well cooked but nothing special. The pumpkin bbq sauce brought the ribs to life. The whipped sweet potatoes were nice and both of us had the broccolini which was cooked fine but a tad salty as far as seasoning. The other entree ordered was the filet cooked medium upon recommendation and was cooked perfectly. Most places cooking temperatures are off but here was spot on. The mash potatoes were a tad bland. The banana cream pie was okay. The bananas were a bit too ripe making the texture a tad slimy. The cappuccino needed extra creme which was provided at request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gofurunnerDined on 11/21/2014Great for atmosphere, food, wine and special occasions. Moderately priced and moderate noise levels.Special Features:
- Great FoodPhilCVIPDined on 11/21/2014Innovative menu items. Food and service was exceptional. A pearl for downtown GreenvilleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceamgmggDined on 11/21/2014Service excellent; special of grouper was bland and not up to Sobys reputation
- Excellente!SiouxBlue42VIPDined on 11/18/2014So many nice things about Sobys. Great beautiful in a beautiful space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchDocinNCDined on 11/16/2014Sunday brunch was buffet, not usually my thing, but all the selections were delicious and well prepared, and there were plenty to select from without being overwhelming. The price was reasonable, ambiance was vibrant and the service was excellent. We attended a show at the Peace Center afterward and were able to leave our car with their (free) valet service until after the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before the theatre brunchKabobDined on 11/16/2014Conviently located less than a block from the Peace Center, the brunch at Sobys was the perfect start to a festive day. Food and service were excellent. Grits deserve raves. Beef in stroganoff was exceptionally tender. Special mention also to the omlets and desserts. My only criticism would be that the placement of the main buffet area was awkward and caused traffic problems for patrons and servers trying to replenish the buffet; also probably annoying if you were at a table immediately adjacent to the buffet table ( thankfully not us).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at Soby'ssoutherngalDined on 11/16/2014Soby's is a great place for brunch on Sundays. I especially love the Build your own Bloody Mary and Mimosa feature. Their grits are so creamy, I found myself going back for seconds. The only thing I'm not too crazy about is how they group breakfast items with lunch items. It is somewhat off putting to visit a buffet with bacon & quiche sitting beside a dish of salmon and beef stroganoff. Perhaps if they separated the lunch items from the breakfast offerings, it would be more appealing. However, the food speaks for itself, and the service is top-notch...so it's definitely worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ExperienceOHIOVIPDined on 11/15/2014This was our first trip to Greenville for we were helping my son and girlfriend with their relocation to this wonderful city. Soby's was recommended to us and it turned out to be one of the best meals our family has experienced. From the moment we entered everything was top notch. The welcome, the service,the food, and the attention to detail was second to none. Thanks to the entire Soby's Team!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Problem with foodCasualPatronDined on 11/15/2014I had to return my Caesar salad; lettuce was bitter, nothing but lettuce - did not come with croutons, graded cheese or anchovies, and the salad dressing tasted like it was watered down. The waitress handled it just fine and did not charge me but to charge $7 for that salad was unacceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a notable experienceYoungatheartDined on 11/14/2014Soby's is always on our to do list when we are in Greenville. The food, service and atmosphere add up to a special dining experience. Can't wait for our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014The only thing that would have made our amazing dinner even better is if they would have actually lit the fireplace upstairs. We requested it be fired up but no one did. In addition, one guest ordered a crab cake with their meal but it didn't come out with the meal. The staff did a nice job of having one prepared so the guest could take it home since it took so long for it to be cooked and we were pretty much done eating. Overall, it was a very pleasurable experience :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service & wine, but very bland entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014Service and ambiance was excellent. Wonderful wine list and our Fried Green Tomato and mac & Cheese appetizers were amazing. I do not remember our servers name but she was very knowledgeable on the wine list and the food and could not have one a better job serving us. However, our entrees were not what we would expect from a restaurant of this type. We had the filet and shrimp & grits for entrees and although the quality of the food (steak cut, shrimp, etc.) were very high, the flavor was not. It tasted as though someone forgot to season our food before, during or after cooking. Both entrees were very bland. Will probably just stick to Soby's on the Side for breakfast and lunch and visit other downtown restaurants for nice dinners in the future. Also, our server told us that our credit card was declined multiple times when in fact it was their credit card machines that were not working. This forced us to use another form of payment thus losing about $20 in rewards on our credit card. When I called the credit card company there had not been any attempts to use the card in over a week and no declined transactions.Special Features:
- Delicioso!!LuvGoodFoodDined on 11/11/2014As always, Soby's never disappoints!! Great food, the She Crab Soup is my personal favorite. And the service was impeccable!! Can't beat the spot for a fantastic dining experience!Special Features:
- Greenville StaplecburkardDined on 11/9/2014Soby's has been around for many years now, and there's a reason for that: It's an amazing restaurant. Excellent food, great service, and an impressive wine/bar menu. I've never left disappointed!Special Features:
- Good brunchzanandchuckVIPDined on 11/9/2014While the food at the brunch buffet is good and plentiful, it is not remarkable. The drink deals are terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous as always!EEKoutDined on 11/8/2014The food, service and atmosphere is always great. It is a little loud but it's a positive energy. I have never had anything to eat there that is not delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Great food, temp was COLD"IloveGREENville321Dined on 11/8/2014I love the food at Soby's and it is my favorite restaurant in Greenville. However, we asked the waiter twice to shut off the fan above us and she said she would and she would tell them to lower the AC. They did not do either and when asked if they could maybe put on the fireplace upstairs, she said it was on... trust me, it wasn't. There was no flames, whatsoever. I never took off my jacket all evening as it was quite cold. I love the food and the service, otherwise. Also, the date pudding/cake was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinner!!foodiesDined on 11/7/2014Terrific again. Always an delight to eat @ Soby's.Special Features:
- Special occasionRicardoDined on 11/6/2014With a couple of friends, we were celebrating our wives' birthdays. The food was very good, and nicely presented, and hot, so it hadn't been hanging around on the counter waiting for our waitress to deliver it. Considering the quality, the food is not very expensive. The wine list is too long!! How many of the multi-hundred$ bottles do they actually sell?? We would class it as a noisy restaurant, so it is good that the food is worth having to have loud conversations. We will consider it again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/4/2014As usual a very enjoyable dinner. Our waiter seemed a bit more interested in service to tables spending significantly more money than we did this evening. My dinner was supposed to replace the mashed potatoes with a green vegetable in addition to the beans that came with it. Instead I got the replacement veggie & mashed potatoes but no greenb eans.Special Features:
- Luv Soby'sRosoceJimDined on 11/2/2014We have enjoyed Soby's many times for brunch and cannot find another equal anywhere!!!! We love to come, eat great food, enjoy the ambience and just have fun. Food is very good, wait staff is great, and we just cannot find anything wrong with Soby's!!!!!Special Features:
- disappointeddowntowndiningVIPDined on 11/1/2014We dine often at Soby's and have enjoyed it until the last few times. This occasion was a big disappointment. We arrived 20 minutes early for a 7 am reservation and asked if we could be seated early and they agreed to do so. We waited past 7 and still not seated at 7:05, I asked, they said they had a table and were clearing it now. It was another 20 minutes before we were seated--7:25 with a 7 reservation. As we walked by to be seated, we passed at least three 4-top tables set. The hostess said the reason for not seating was no tables set. I asked about the ones we passed. She offered for us to order two appetizers on the house, since we had to wait. We did. They added appetizer cost to our bill. Then, the food was not very good.Special Features:
- DisappointingfoodieDined on 11/1/2014I have always enjoyed my experience at Soby's - until now. The braised beef ribs smelled, looked and tasted burned. They contained more fat than meat. Also, I don't remember the price of drinks being as high as they were this time. My companion said her crab cakes were good, but all-in-all, a very disappointing meal, especially for the price. In addition, when I made my reservation, I was asked if it would be OK for us to be seated upstairs; I responded we preferred the street level. We were seated upstairs.Special Features:
- GreatLuv79Dined on 10/31/2014Always has great food & dessert. I appreciate the staff cares to ensure the comfort and accommodate people with food allergies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2014Another excellent night at Sobys. Great food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLULUDined on 10/27/2014Delightful as usual. Had a wonderful meal. Can't wait to return to celebrate their 17th birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDeanoDined on 10/26/2014Went there to celebrate my wife's birthday on a Sunday afternoon. Sobes used to have an outstanding buffet with numerous salads, a chicken entree and shrimp and grits. This time - Dry pork roast - limited salads and no shrimp and grits. Very disappointed.
- It was a great meal.greeneville102514Dined on 10/25/2014The meall and ambience were very good,however , service was a little spotty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014We went here for my daughters birthday, and we had 4 preschoolers that were very fussy and hungry at first. Our server was amazing, the food came out very quickly and was awesome. Our server was very patient and attentive and we will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!PaddyDined on 10/25/2014The food is amazing with a decor to match. The service was second to none. From the moment we entered the door until the time we left. This is how all dining experiences should be. Our server was Eva, she made a special night even nicer. Thank you!Special Features:
- DeliciousEtienneDined on 10/24/2014Made reservations to get a bite after a show at the Peace Center. It was only a very short walk in a beautiful downtown Greenville. Our reservations were for 10:30 pm and we were seated immediately. The wait staff and food were excellent. Will definitely go back the next time we are in Greenville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.