207 S. Main St.
Greenville, SC 29601Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sobys.com/
- Phone: 8642327007
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm. Sunday Brunch: 10:30 am - 1:30 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shaun Garcia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Soby's offers full service off-site catering with custom tailored menus for events of any type or size, from developing themes and planning menus to securing rentals, set up and staffing.
- Private Party Facilities: With 6,100 square feet of space, Soby’s is the perfect place to host your event. Soby’s can seat parties up to 100 on the semi-private Mezzanine level with the option for limited menus or ala carte ordering. For completely private events, The Loft at Soby’s can accommodate groups from 20 – 100.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Tollison; Lauren Van De Water 8888415724
A word from Soby's
Soby’s New South Cuisine is an eclectic blend of Contemporary Continental cuisine infused with traditional Southern ingredients, transforming old favorite into something fresh and new. The restaurant is located in the heart of downtown Greenville, in a renovated cotton mill built in the 1800s. The atmosphere is warm and energetic and the staff is well-trained to provide a fantastic dining experience for all of our guests. In addition, the wine list offers more than 500 selections and is a Wine Spectator Magazine award-winner for the past eight years, a 'Best of Award of Excellence' the past two.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Soby's - Best Restaurants in Greenville ›
Soby's reviews from OpenTable diners
285 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (173)special occasion (155)great for outdoor dining (123)notable wine list (120)good for groups (105)neighborhood gem (102)romantic (82)hot spot (77)great for brunch (54)vibrant bar scene (40)late-night find (21)scenic view (18)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (14)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2014Another excellent night at Sobys. Great food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLULUDined on 10/27/2014Delightful as usual. Had a wonderful meal. Can't wait to return to celebrate their 17th birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDeanoDined on 10/26/2014Went there to celebrate my wife's birthday on a Sunday afternoon. Sobes used to have an outstanding buffet with numerous salads, a chicken entree and shrimp and grits. This time - Dry pork roast - limited salads and no shrimp and grits. Very disappointed.
- It was a great meal.greeneville102514Dined on 10/25/2014The meall and ambience were very good,however , service was a little spotty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014We went here for my daughters birthday, and we had 4 preschoolers that were very fussy and hungry at first. Our server was amazing, the food came out very quickly and was awesome. Our server was very patient and attentive and we will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014The food is amazing with a decor to match. The service was second to none. From the moment we entered the door until the time we left. This is how all dining experiences should be. Our server was Eva, she made a special night even nicer. Thank you!Special Features:
- DeliciousEtienneDined on 10/24/2014Made reservations to get a bite after a show at the Peace Center. It was only a very short walk in a beautiful downtown Greenville. Our reservations were for 10:30 pm and we were seated immediately. The wait staff and food were excellent. Will definitely go back the next time we are in Greenville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Family DinnerJimBobDined on 10/24/2014We went with adult members of my family went to Soby's and found everything about it was excellent. There were six of us and we had made reservations and upon arrival only had to wait a few minutes for our table on a very busy Friday night. All of us live away from Greenville so my sister had read reviews of Soby's and some had said that the portions were small. That is not the case in our experience. The steak, fish, crab cakes, shrimp and grits were all excellent and the service was excellent. Soby's has an extensive wine list with offerings in a wide range of prices (no cheap bottles). We all would gladly go back.Special Features:
- Southern Foodceegee34Dined on 10/24/2014This was our first time to Soby's and we will definitely go back. The she-crab soup and shrimp and grits were off the charts! The wait staff will explain their staple dishes and you cannot go wrong with them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again, excellent!DavidDined on 10/24/2014We were meeting my wife's cousin and his business partner for a nice evening out to eat, and we suggested Soby's. They had a show to see at the Peace Center, and it turned out to be an excellent choice of places to meet and dine. Thank you Soby's for an excellent time, and the food, as always, was excellent!Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Calvin provided excellent service! Very professional and friendly! Dessert was to die for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great visit!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/23/2014We were just passing thru greenville and were lucky to find soby's! Wonderful tensions of southern classics! Great ambiance tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!BuffaloDined on 10/20/2014This was my first time at Soby's and it was one I will never forget. Making my reservation was a breeze and the staff was absolutely amazing and friendly. The atmosphere was perfect for an evening meal, and the food was to perfection. I personally has the roasted duck and it was full of flavor and just the right portion size. I highly recommend Soby's Restaurant to anybody who is looking for moderate to fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unlike Soby'sNateBDined on 10/20/2014While the atmosphere warrants no complaints, the service and food were rather mediocre and below expectations for a supposed high end dining experience in Greenville. Not only did we wait ten minutes just to order a drink, but the appetizers were rather mundane and the portions were reminiscent of the French restaurant you attend with a significant other expecting immense culinary wonder only to discover the 1.003 ounce piece of salmon and two vegetables didn't exactly fulfill either your tastes buds of lingering stomach growls. My first dining experience here a year ago left me quite pleased, but Soby's should do much better than this $180 birthday dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Started off on the wrong foot!NonnaBDined on 10/18/2014This was my second time at Soby's and we were really looking forward to it since our first time was great. We had requested outside seating. When we were being taken to our table, it was not ready and the hostess had to scramble to find us another one. We were given an iPad wine list. After making a selection, the waitress returned to tell us they did not have that wine. She then handed us the paper wine menu. Silly me, but I thought an iPad version would be kept up to the minute. So now we are off to a rocky start. Our wine and food was good and probably could have been excellent if Soby's had been on their game. Unsure at this time if I'll return since there are so many great choices in Greenville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Squirrel IssueKbelleDined on 10/17/2014In the middle of our meal on Friday evening, the power went out. We had already been served our food, so we were able to continue to enjoy the experience. We were upstairs, so it did get a little stuffy before we left. However, I was impressed with how well everything was handled during the outage. I later found out that Main street all the way to the West End was down - why? A squirrel had had his final life experience on this planet with a transformer at a substation. A notable exit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sobys for BirthdayWestDined on 10/15/2014This was a great restaurant choice for our evening. Our waiter treated us as if we were the only ones in the restaurant. My fiance had a birthday and they brought her a complimentary dessert. The full was excellent. I would suggest this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Absolutely awesome.MattDined on 10/14/2014First timers, very impressed. Our new goto for date nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask for ScottAirbn5Dined on 10/10/2014Amazing service, wines, food. Have lived in Greenville for years and never dined at Soby's until now. By far one of the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/10/2014The she crab soup was watery with just a little crab in it. The crab cake consisted of shredded crab meat. The meat could have been frozen. It did not taste fresh. Greenville has a plethora of restaurants and I will try others before returning to Soby's.
- playtex15Dined on 10/9/2014great meal a little pricey.great service and nice for special occations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soby'sTennesseeDined on 10/9/2014Some restaurants have the best steak, some the best seafood. There are those that specialize in Italian, Mexican, Greek or Asian. Soby's gives you a great meal no matter what you are hungry for. It's a one-stop restaurant! I have never been to Soby's and had a meal I didn't enjoy. It sometimes take a bit to be seated, even with a reservation, but the service is excellent. The drinks are not diluted and made very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, some issuesHappyfoodieDined on 10/8/2014Fun neighborhood spot, nice outdoor ambience. Good food. There was a service issue...took awhile for wait staff to acknowledge our presence, and then it was to pour water. The "pourer" said she would send a waiter over, and did we want to order an appetizer. I said we preferred to order drinks first. She acted like this was strange request. Finally a waiter did appear, and things went more smoothly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LAK1Dined on 10/7/2014I have always enjoyed the dining experience as the consistency is a key element to their success. Food offerings are always fresh and prepared to order. Excellent value coupled with great service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/7/2014Dined here for a work-related dinner and it was fantastic. The service was superb, the food was delicious, the facility is beautiful, and the overall experience was A+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still popular but food is mediocregreenslimDined on 10/7/2014We have not been to Soby's for a while since the food quality had been slipping and other better restaurants have opened in Greenville. Nonetheless we had a visitor from out of town and decided to try Soby's again. Unfortunately we were disappointed . The appetizer menu is disappointing and unimaginative - the usual fried assortment calamari, tomatoes etc. We tried bacon mac and cheese- far too heavy for an appetizer. Our entrée choices were hanger steak, grouper, and rabbit. They were OK but not special. The sauce for the rabbit was disappointing, the grouper a bit dry, and the steak a little tough. Not bad enough to return but not up to standard. The deserts were OK but not distinguished. Overall a disappointment again.
- Wonderful dinner experiencefussyeaterVIPDined on 10/5/2014Soby's is always a winner. Our service was outstanding. We ordered the dinner specials and they were both delicious. Soby's wine list is the best in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014A great meal in such a cute and vibrant restaurant. The service was inconsistent. The folks that fill your water and clear your dishes seemed to be on top of us all night clearing dishes before we were ready. Our server was not as attentive. But, the food was delicious. We definitely recommend Soby's . If you haven't been yet, you need to go!Special Features:
- Not impressednotimpressedDined on 10/3/2014The atmosphere is great in Soby's. The food leaves a lot to be desired. My husband had the pork tenderloin. It was dry and lacked flavor. I had the potato encrusted grouper. It was completely flavorless.Special Features:
- Great dinnerAwesomeDined on 10/3/2014Enjoyed our meal and wait staff. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceRonaldVIPDined on 10/3/2014Really enjoyed the service from our waiter, Joe. He knew the menu very well and had great recommendations.Special Features:
- ExcellentRdtttttDined on 10/2/2014Food and service both outstanding. Eat here often when we go yo Theater. Valet parking makes this a most enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- ExcellentcrockerbwDined on 9/30/2014The downtown experience was great. The food and staff were great. Everything was setup and no problems occurred at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!kristic333Dined on 9/28/2014We dined here the day after our wedding with family and friends from out of town. Our server, Eva, was super polished and professional and handled my sister's extremely difficult dietary needs like a pro. Our food was delicious. All 8 of us loved what we ordered. My husband said it was the best steak he had ever eaten. The food was a good value for the quality and I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Happiest 12th birthday brunchEmily12BDDined on 9/28/2014Our waiter made my daunghter's 12th birthday so special. She felt so special to spend her birthday at soby's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointsEmmeDined on 9/28/2014Always a great experience, from the wide selection of delectable dishes on the brunch buffet to the delightfully creative build your own mimosa menu, with some stellar service thrown in to round it out, you can't help but enjoy yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat!foodiemammaDined on 9/28/2014What a perfect spot to sit outdoors and enjoy a beautiful fall Sunday morning in Greenville! Initially I was disappointed when I heard that brunch was a buffet however I soon got over it when I sampled their delicious brunch! In particular, the salads were spectacular- the kale/squash and arugula/beet/goat cheese are hidden gems! We definitely will return to Soby's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousfpfoodieDined on 9/27/2014Every bite was delicious. We did notice that the main course came shortly after the appetizer as other diners had mentioned - doesn't seem right to complain that the service is "too fast". We simply kept our appetizer and enjoyed it alongside the main course.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The food and drinks were good. The service was not. Got the order wrong not once but twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have gone to SassafrasJaymeVIPDined on 9/27/2014This was our second visit to Soby's and unfortunately was a disappointment. We also had reservations at Sassafras and had to decide between the two. I think we chose poorly. I have to say, though, that my first visit a couple years ago was excellent, and that's why we wanted to come back. For my pre-dinner cocktail I ordered one of the house specialities and really hated it. Tasted like Kool Aid. For dinner my husband got one of the specials which was pork T-bone for $34. He liked it a lot, but didn't like the veggies and hardly had any mashed potatoes. I ordered grouper, which was good ($27), but it only came with a spoonful of rice and a thin layer of gumbo devoid of the promised crawfish. Not a good value. Good service, though.