6 W Cross Street
Baltimore, MD 21230Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://sobocafe.net/
- Phone: (410) 752-1518
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our Business Lunch Platters feature
handcrafted sandwiches on our own, artisanal breads
house roasted & smoked meats
healthy salads with our freshly made dressings
We will customize any order to suit your taste or diet.
Please contact us for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Our cozy, intimate dining room is the perfect setting for your event. Enjoy a seasonal dish and a glass of carefully chosen wine or beer. We pride ourselves on preparing our from-scratch menu with fresh ingredients and a whole lot of flavor. A favorite among neighbors and visitors, we go out of our way to make everyone feel at home.
Weekdays - Business Breakfast/Brunch Meetings
Happy Hours - Rehearsal Dinners
- Entertainment: Music Tuesdays - join us for live music (acoustic or jazz) on select Tuesdays
- Cross Street: Between S. Charles & S. Hanover Streets
- Public Transit: Charm City Circulator (Purple Line) Stops: Cross Street or Henrietta Street, MTA (1 or 64 Lines)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street (please read signs carefully)
Evenings - Shofer"s Furniture Parking Lot (Hamburg St entrance) - one block from SoBo Café - evening paid parking
West St Parking Garage - 40 E West Street - paid parking
A word from SoBo Cafe
We pride ourselves on preparing our from-scratch menu with fresh ingredients and a whole lot of flavor. Our cozy, intimate dining room is the perfect setting to enjoy a seasonal dish and a glass of carefully chosen wine or beer. A perennial favorite among neighbors and visitors, we go out of our way to make everyone feel at home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
SoBo Cafe - Best Restaurants in Federal Hill ›
SoBo Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (91)fit for foodies (74)great for lunch (27)great for brunch (27)special occasion (22)romantic (19)good for groups (17)notable wine list (17)hot spot (14)great for outdoor dining (12)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (5)Show More
- KMarkDined on 7/14/2014Great fresh food. Nice friendly atmosphere. We had a very nice relaxing lunch for 3. Smoke salmon salad was awesome.Special Features:
- Top favorite in baltimoreMichieVIPDined on 7/13/2014This is one of my top favorite restaurants in baltimore. The food is amazing, the staff is attentive, energetic and friendly, and the ambience is delightful. Sobo has become one of my favorites, especially for brunch. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Neighborhood SpotLM24Dined on 7/12/2014I love this place! I've been here before, and always take out of town friends or family to enjoy their awesome brunch menu. The eggs benedict is bangin'! The servers are always very friendly and on point with taking care of drinks, clearing plates, etc. The food is cooked perfectly, comes out together, and tastes awesome. I wish their mimosas/bloody mary's were cheaper than $8 during brunch hours...especially since many places in the city have bottomless for $12-$15. That's my only criticism. I'd love to try one of their evening specials, I just forget and always think of it as the brunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding neighborhood gemKarenVIPDined on 7/7/2014Love it here. We've been here on a number of occasions at all different times of the year and SoBo does not disappoint. We've brought suburban friends who later return on their own. Food is always high quality and consistently interesting. Not just the main feature of your dish, but also the sides, the sauces. All desserts are made in-house as are the breads. The strawberry shortbread with homemade basil ice cream--try it if it's on the menu or anything else that strikes your fancy. The value for money is outstanding. The staff is professional and not afraid to really answer questions about this dish versus that dish. Wine list is thoughtful and has good selections at a variety of price points. All of this keeps us happily returning.Special Features:
- 75cookformeDined on 7/7/2014SOBO has become the place I want to take all my suburban friends who might be a bit uncomfortable downtown. It is homey and the food is outstanding all the time. I live near so I also find it great for a take-out supper when I don't feel like cooking. Parking can be a challenge as it is anywhere in South Baltimore but that has never kept me from going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/6/2014I come here a lot. Great clientele. Always great food and drink. Tried it for Sunday brunch and, once again, a delicious experience. Occasionally, they change out some items on the menu, which keeps it fresh and interesting. I always walk away full and happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!MargeDined on 7/5/2014Dinner at Sobo Café was OUTSTANDING!!! The red wine sangria was a great balance between wine and sweetness. Had the Smoked Salmon with Goat Cheese, Humus, and the Spicy Feta spreads and they were each delicious served with toasted bread, carrots and cucumbers. I had the Seared Salmon which was amazing!!! For dessert, the strawberry shortcake is worth every calorie. The restaurant is located in the Federal Hill area about 15 min walk from the Inner Harbor. It was a safe and easy walk. The restaurant is small and very well decorated. The service was impeccable and even got the chance to meet the owner. Needless to say it was a great experience and an amazing find.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotFrequentwalkertodinnerVIPDined on 7/5/2014My wife and I have enjoyed several meals at SoBo Café this year. The food is always very good. Try the burger or Korean chicken fried steak! Service is always friendly and efficient. Jim is an outstanding host. SoBo Café epitomizes the term neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousBethDined on 7/3/2014Went for dinner and the food was excellent. There weren't many other diners so it may be louder when it's more crowded. Try the spreads, they are all amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joe ReviewsJoeEatsVIPDined on 6/16/2014Excellent and creative food, Lunched and dined there 5 time. Each time was excellent/Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicepaige29VIPDined on 6/15/2014I decided to try something new for brunch. I have only dined here for brunch but would love to see what dinner has to offer. I got the daily special veggie scramble. It was nothing great. Just a few shallots and maybe 3 broccolini spears. The service was better than usual. I think I'll stick with my usual or go for a traditional Israeli dish. My boyfriend always gets the creamed chip beef and it never fails to disappoint. As always, make a reservation, the place gets packed on a Sunday. I will still return for the friendliness and hominess of this neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Great little spot in Fells PointnocarbsDined on 6/7/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Sobo's. The service was great and the food was very good. We could not finish our main course because the hummus and starters were so good. I wish I could have had a vodka but the wine suggestions were spot on. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Off the beaten trackSiblingVIPDined on 6/5/2014Well worth the trip. Adorable !! Great Food !! Our friends love the fabulous places I pick. That's because I check and double check the tripe check... Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- YummyMichieVIPDined on 6/1/2014Sobo is by far one of my favorite places to dine in Baltimore. The food is always fantastic. It was my second time there for brunch and I highly suggest the cinnamon buns and their delicious brunch cocktails. They are always just right. The waitress was super pleasent and accommodating. When we sat outside she made sure the dog was content and in the shade with water. Apparently, SOBO makes their own bread on site and consistently changes the artwork on their walls which is done by local artists. Bottom line. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchjfleeshDined on 5/24/2014Went here for brunch before the orioles game. Had a great time and loved the complimentary banana bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little nook.gfasheDined on 5/22/2014Really good food and great beer/wine. I had the lamb, which was a little tough, but flavorful. However, the sides were even better. The polenta was creamy and the veges were excellent. My daughter enjoyed the scallops and my wife had mac and cheese, which was also quite good. I didn't try my father-in law's liver and onions (not many of us would), but he enjoyed it a lot. I just had to try the limoncello/sake combination and was glad I did. The pound cake with lemon sherbet, which was really a semifreddo, was excellent. The service was pleasant without being overly attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I Found This Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014Visiting Baltimore from Connecticut. I'm so glad I trusted the on-line reviews. This was a fantastic experience! From the moment we stepped into the quaint dining room, we were greeted with enthusiasm. Began with the rosemary hummus app. WOW! The flavor was perfect, and an unexpected delight was the veggies served with it were marinated and very tasty. The bread & flavored butter-delicious. Entrees were perfection as well: Chicken Pot Pie, Dry Rubbed Steak-Amazing, SoBo Burger fantastic intense flavored bacon & Veg Pho-very different-good if you like smokey flavoring too. Must try the pistachio-rosemary ice cream that came with Strawberry shortcake. OMG I can't wait to come back. Service & Food A+++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/19/2014Enjoyed a lunch at Sobo, and both of us loved what we had. Can't speak highly enough about the smoked chicken salad sandwich. The chicken salad was sooo good and the bread was its equal. The woman who served us was very enthusiastic and clearly cared about making sure everything was to our liking. She was extremely knowledgeable about the menu. We've been here before for dinner and also had an excellent experience.
- Federal Hill findNotafoodieDined on 5/17/2014My family went to Sobo for my daughters 28th birthday at her request. My daughter has been there several times for brunch, this was her first dinner experience. She claims the food is just as delicious at brunch. The food was fresh and well prepaired, everyone was happy with their meal. I would definately go to Sobo again and it will be on my recommended Fed Hill restaurant list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just gooddisappointedVIPDined on 5/15/2014food was good, not great. would go elsewhere and with so many great restaurants in baltimore, not sure we'd go back. Server was GREAT!
- Gem of a RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014I was looking for a place to take my mother for a quiet Mother's day brunch and I stumbled on SoBo Cafe. It was the perfect place. Not only was the food delicious, the atmosphere was like being at a friend's place. This was just the type of place I was looking for. I can't wait to come back to check it out again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/10/2014The food was excellent and the restaurant was perfect for a saturday night dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent MealFedhillliv2eatVIPDined on 5/5/2014Continually surprised to find such a great restaurant in this location of Cross Street. Perfect for great food and a quieter more adult atmosphere than surrounding restaurants and bars. Friendly and efficient staffSpecial Features:
- Delicious!bmorefoodieVIPDined on 5/3/2014Finally tried SoBo Cafe this past weekend and so glad I did! Bf and I wanted a walkable dining spot for a date night and it did not disappoint. We split mac and cheese appetizer which was cheesy gooey and fabulous. I had the steak with creamed spinach and fingerling potatoes, bf had lamb steak over polenta with root vegetables. Both were excellent and quite filling (sadly leaving us without room for dessert). Of note they only have beer and wine, but have a great selection including local brews. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experienceMarylandBoomerangDined on 5/2/2014Booked a reservation at SoBo for my wife's birthday dinner and they bent over backwards to make it an extremely special occasion. Despite the fact that they also had a large wedding rehearsal dinner booked that same evening, we received top notch service and a prime table next to a window. And the food - simply delicious! I had the Bavette Steak, which was ridiculously tender and well seasoned. My wife tried duck for the first time and was equally pleased. And don't miss out on the fingerling potatoes, because they're better than french fries. We'll definitely be back again (and again and again....).Special Features:
- First time diners--neighborhood gemFamilyfunVIPDined on 4/29/2014First time diners at this attractive neighborhood restaurant. Arrived early for dinner on a rainy late afternoon with two of my adult children. Nice layout to the restaurant and bar. Good choices on the menu--I picked the seared salmon and requested that it be cooked "medium" as main course and started with mussels. Both were excellent choices and prepared as requested. Prices were reasonable as well although not sure I will ever get used to $14.00 hamburgers regardless of the type of beef (sure this is generational as I'm 66!). Service was attentive and non-obtrusive. Overall an excellent last minute choice for an enjoyable dinner in our neighborhood. Look forward to our next visit and will gladly recommend to othersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing BrunchFrequentDinerVIPDined on 4/27/2014As usual, SoBo's brunch was top notch. Try the eggs benedict and the homemade cinnamon roll. The specialty mimosa was delicious as well. This week was pomegranate mango.Special Features:
- Awesome !!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Went for brunch with my family on Easter and we LOVED it !! Brunch was great !! I will be going back for sure !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2014We are huge fans of SoBo Cafe, great food and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great local spot, don't overlookWMColmes14VIPDined on 4/18/2014a lot of folks forget it is there, but they always get it done. nice dishes, bold flavors. Try the mussels! And yes, they will bring you more bread for the sauce! they are very reasonable and the staff is very nice. a great local place for a quick mealSpecial Features:
- Delicious but the service is slowSilbermana1Dined on 4/17/2014The food was delicious, but it took an hour and a half to arrive, so if you are in a rush or have very sleepy children with you, I would not recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food at Great PriceLarryDined on 4/12/2014I have been there many times and the food has always been great. I have never had a bad meal there. Besides the food, the service is great and they are very attentive to you. My favorite neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemJoshGDined on 3/29/2014Me and my girlfriend were looking fora new place to try last Saturday and I remember seeing SOBO's sign while walking down CharlesStreet. I had originally heard of this place as a brunch hot spot, but decided to try it out for dinner. Upon my arrival the staff was very friendly and offered speedy service. They had a small, but unique menu with a great wine and special drink menu. I had the Asian Chicken Fried Steak and it was delightful, it was a nice twist on this and I would recommend it to anyone who stops in. Their banana bread pudding is also amazing, great experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in BaltimoreBreezyDined on 3/23/2014My family was in town for a wedding and wanted to get brunch at a local diner outside of the Inner Harbor. We were very lucky we found SoBo Cafe. Not only were the homemade cinnamon roles and bread fantastic, the service was also great. The portions are very large and fresh. We enjoyed the cafe's photography exhibit and wished we could come back for the wine selection. All in all, I would highly recommend SoBo Cafe. Great food and wonderful people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummmmJuanVIPDined on 3/22/2014First off, it was crowded and noisy. Very noisy. But the food? The food was delicious! I had the burger and I have to say it may be the best burger I have ever had. We started with the mussels and they were also superb. Ask for extra bread and a spoon because the broth should not be wasted. Service was fair. It was busy in there, but I at least would like my iced tea refilled in a more timely manner. Overall, I really liked the place and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect brunch spotpaige29VIPDined on 3/16/2014This was the second time dining at sobo cafe for brunch. The welcoming is fantastic, however the wait staff not so much which is why the food makes up for it. Make sure you get a cinnamon roll since they are limited in quantity (we got one to go) as well as try their apple butter bread that is served while you wait for your food. Their biscuits are amazing and i savor every bite. My boyfriend loves the creamed chip beef which is not overly heavy or creamy. I had the eggs Benedict with both ham and greens and cleaned my plate. I think the wait staff keeps a carefree attitude which is why things don't move so quickly. The owner/manager is beyond personable and very welcoming. He is part of the reason why I will continue to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FuhgeddaboutitcityphilleDined on 3/15/2014Saturday nite dinner with friends. Nothing was worth raising the fork for. Pathetic smoked salmon attached to cream cheesy goat cheese. Inedible corned beef and cabbage. Need I say more. Good thing we had good company and okay wine, Pretty pathetic as a dining experience. Disappointed They reached and failed. Nice bathroom with door that locks sometimes.
- Great spot for a business lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/10/2014Food is fresh, creative and served promptly. SoBo Cafe is close to downtown and quiet enough so you can actually hear what's being said at your table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of a find...cherieireneVIPDined on 3/9/2014An attractive entrance and a warm greeting from Jim, the owner, set the tone for a wonderful brunch experience. It felt like we were dining with old friends. A start of a Michelada (lager,clamato, lemon) was perfect and the cinnamon bun was the best I have ever had. My dining partner and I shared the Big Breakfast (ham, bacon, pancakes, eggs, home fries, toast) and the Creamed Chipped Beef ( using the most delicious biscuit as the "shingle") Every item was delicious. With the friendly waitstaff and the constant flow of happy diners, the place has a wonderful, welcome vibe that makes for a delightful dining experience. Lots of specials happen at night (jazz, wine specials) that prompt my return visit soon. Definite neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, cute restaurantLM24Dined on 3/8/2014I've lived in Fed Hill for a year and always passed by in my car, but finally decided to stop by when some friends were in town. The food was awesome (I had the eggs benedict). The eggs were cooked perfectly, the biscuit/pastry the eggs were on was homemade by the chef and noteably delicious. It also had kale on it and comes with fresh fruit on the side and breakfast tomatoes. To start, they give you a slice of their homemade apple bread which is super tasty. The servers are really nice and pretty quick to get what you need. The coffee is good, and the ambiance is great. Not too loud and nice decor. I'd love to go back and try a Wednesday wine flight night.Special Features: