6 W Cross Street
Baltimore, MD 21230Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://sobocafe.net/
- Phone: 4107521518x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our Business Lunch Platters feature
handcrafted sandwiches on our own, artisanal breads
house roasted & smoked meats
healthy salads with our freshly made dressings
We will customize any order to suit your taste or diet.
Please contact us for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Our cozy, intimate dining room is the perfect setting for your event. Enjoy a seasonal dish and a glass of carefully chosen wine or beer. We pride ourselves on preparing our from-scratch menu with fresh ingredients and a whole lot of flavor. A favorite among neighbors and visitors, we go out of our way to make everyone feel at home.
Weekdays - Business Breakfast/Brunch Meetings
Happy Hours - Rehearsal Dinners
- Entertainment: Music Tuesdays - join us for live music (acoustic or jazz) on select Tuesdays
- Cross Street: Between S. Charles & S. Hanover Streets
- Public Transit: Charm City Circulator (Purple Line) Stops: Cross Street or Henrietta Street, MTA (1 or 64 Lines)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street (please read signs carefully)
Evenings - Shofer"s Furniture Parking Lot (Hamburg St entrance) - one block from SoBo Café - evening paid parking
West St Parking Garage - 40 E West Street - paid parking
A word from SoBo Cafe
We pride ourselves on preparing our from-scratch menu with fresh ingredients and a whole lot of flavor. Our cozy, intimate dining room is the perfect setting to enjoy a seasonal dish and a glass of carefully chosen wine or beer. A perennial favorite among neighbors and visitors, we go out of our way to make everyone feel at home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
SoBo Cafe - Best Restaurants in Federal Hill ›
SoBo Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (88)fit for foodies (69)great for brunch (34)great for lunch (31)special occasion (20)romantic (17)good for groups (15)hot spot (15)great for outdoor dining (13)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- My mix up was no problemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014I came a night before my reservation and SoBo was (luckily) still able to accommodate my family. I am SO grateful and the food was phenomenal. I would go back any time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sunday brunch!DavidADined on 10/12/2014My wife & I decided to go to SoBo Cafe for Sunday brunch. We had already eaten at some good Baltimore restaurants, so the bar was set fairly high. First good point: when we realized our hotel was taking too long (30 min) to bring our car via valet, we called to let them know we'd be a little late. The fellow who answered was very nice, said "don't worry" and told us they'd hold our table. We did manage to get there ~10 minutes late for our reservation, so it worked out. The drinks (Bellini & apple cider Mimosa) were both excellent! The smoked salmon omelette was outstanding, and the veggie scramble was also great. The host & waitress were both very nice; the experience was top-notch from beginning to end. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/11/2014Great alternative to the bar scene on Cross Street. Diverse menu looked good but food was not piping hot.
- Great fall menuPhillyexpatsVIPDined on 10/10/2014My wife and I enjoyed the fall menu items. I had a house salad (even though I ordered the Caesar) and a wonderful pumpkin pasta and my wife had a salmon entrée with gnocchi. Service was a little slow, but overall it was a good experience.Special Features:
- SurprisePomEDined on 10/10/2014We took some friends with us because we wanted to share the food experience this wonderful restaurant offers. Our guests drink real drinks and they were disappointed and surprised to learn Sobo only serves beer and wine. This added nearly $100.00 to our bill. The food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected Excellene - Don't Missboss61Dined on 10/10/2014We had modest expectations, choosing to have dinner here only because we had baseball playoff tickets, no parking pass (which mandated getting to the ballpark early), and SoBo was close to where we parked. Wow were we happily surprised. A small restaurant with this kind of stadium proximity need only have cold drinks and palatable bar food. SoBo of course has this, but so much more. A highly attentive and caring front-of-the-house staff, obviously both imaginative and superb back-of-the-house expertise. Prices were more than fair and service was quite prompt. Nothing was not perfect about our experience. We're raving fans, and readily would come back even without ballgame tickets.Special Features:
- Good Food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/23/2014Had the chicken fried steak and a few of the apps. Great atmosphere, good food, and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place keeps getting betterFedhillliv2eatVIPDined on 9/20/2014Bring all of our out of town guests to Sobo as they all love the incredible foodSpecial Features:
- Fun EveningandiBEverDined on 9/20/2014Our group of six were greeted cheerfully when we arrived at SoBo and were seated immediately. We felt very welcome and the wait staff was knowlegable and attentive. They had wonderful beers and wines that were promptly delivered. The appetizers were delicious - we loved the spanikopita the grape leaves and the chicken flatbread. We girls were so full we held back on full dinners and ate more appetizers but the guys loved and devoured their steak dinners. The deserts were awesome as well and we highly recommend the brownie sundae - best I've ever had. There is an upbeat, friendly vibe at SoBo and ALL the food is homemade. This is a wonderful little gem... so go and have a good time!Special Features:
- Great BrunchDinnerDined on 9/14/2014In our group some wanted breakfast and some wanted lunch. All were very happy with food quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- south baltimore classbaltimoreraeVIPDined on 9/13/2014This little gem is one of our go-to spots. Sobo sits in the middle of some of the neighborhood bars but don't be mislead -- it is a first rate restaurant where one can dine! The menu is varied and inventive. The fish is cooked right right all the time. My only complaint is that I can't resist two courses and often leave too full..............but happy.Special Features:
- BarryDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful dinner 9/12/14. We were visiting from Dubuque, Iowa and it added a special touch to our Baltimore experience. Be sure to take time to walk through the Federal Hill neighborhood. The row houses are fantastic!Special Features:
- daveVIPDined on 9/11/2014Allow I made the reservation on open table.....they had no record of my reservation.Special Features:
- Great find!ArtiegalDined on 9/11/2014What a great find in Federal Hill. Very friendly staff. Excellent menu well-prepared. This will be our new pre-game stop since it is a short walk to the stadium. Still thinking about the scallops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable and good!susiVIPDined on 9/7/2014This neighborhood restaurant has really picked itself up a notch from its previous owner and become a reliable stable spot for a good meal! Bravo!Special Features:
- Continues to get better and betterFedhillliv2eatVIPDined on 9/5/2014We have been coming to Sobo since the current ownership took over and this place has continued to improve and never fails to provide an excellent meal.Special Features:
- Glad friends recommended this placeelloguvnahDined on 8/28/2014On recommendations from friends, I took three business associates to dinner here. The service was friendly and attentive, without being overbearing. The food was great (monkfish, salmon, scallops, and pasta), and the out-of-towners appreciated the local-focus of the beer list. I would definitely recommend that others explore this place.Special Features:
- New favorite!Lucy24Dined on 8/24/2014SOBO cafe is my new favorite place. The food is fresh and perfectly cooked. They have their own pastry chef and the biscuit and cinnamon buns prove he or she is worth their salary! Great menu and ambience, and very cool drink options as well! Definitely recommended!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was just okay this timeMgm1089Dined on 8/22/2014Great food. Got seated right away. But had to wait over an hour for someone to take our order. That is not okaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, GREAT dessertScorpgirlDined on 8/10/2014Went for restaurant week Aug 10 14. Spinach pie and mac and cheese ok, nothing to write home about. Steak was a bit tough, but nice flavor. Chick pot pie was ok, but base was a little runny for our taste. Dessert was EXCELLENT! LEMON PIE AND STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE...WOW! Service was a bit slow for us given the fact that we arrived just as they opened and were the first to be seated. Seating a bit tight, especially when it began to get crowded as we were finishing our meal. There is a bar area where you could eat your meal. They also have a tables outside if you like folks walking past you on the sidewalk. Overall the experience was good, but nothing great except the dessert which l would call and order that to go in a minute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!LiNaDined on 8/9/2014We reserved dinner for restaurant week. The food and service was great. I also had an opportunity to observed the team work. They really work like a unit, helping each other out serving the tables. It appeared seamless. As a customer you just feel taken care of. We will definitely go back...thank you.Special Features:
- ellieVIPDined on 8/8/2014We went for restaurant week and the food was excellent and well presented. Great service. Nice introduction to SoBo. Will return.Special Features:
- SuperbPeraltaDined on 8/8/2014The best place to eat in Federal Hill (and one of the best I have tried in Baltimore).Special Features:
- framoodDined on 8/6/2014We had a friendly welcome, friendly service and good food. I love that SoBo had a round table for the six of us...just makes dinner conversation flow easier!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodjadetigerDined on 8/5/2014I came here for restaurant week and ordered the Grilled Stuffed Grape Leaves, Korean Chicken Fried Steak, and Strawberry Shortcake. The food was delicious. The Korean Chicken Fried Steak was a delicious twist on a classic dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!MeggDined on 8/4/2014Sobo Cafe offered a wide selection of Restaurant Week dinner options at an affordable cost. After hearing good things about it from various friends, it far exceeded my expectations. The service was friendly and attentive, the food came out promptly and was incredibly delicious, and I could not have been happier with my choice. I went with my boyfriend and we both tried a variety of dishes and each had it's own special flare and flavor profile. I highly recommend the Korean Chicken Fried Steak if you like a little kick and amazing flavor. Also, their flights of beer and wine are a great way to try a variety of beverages with your meal or appetizer!Special Features:
- Hidden gemnewtoBmoreDined on 8/3/2014Went to SoBo for my first time last weekend for brunch, and was so impressed with everything. The food was delicious, and I've never had such good service at a restaurant before!! I had the spinach pie, and SoBo benedict biscuit. Others in my party tried the cinnamon roll and big breakfast, and everything was amazing. I will absolutely be returning here for brunch/lunch, and am excited to come back here to try it out for dinner!Special Features:
- Wonderful....HersheyLunchDined on 8/3/2014....As always! Celebrated a 50th birthday and had a great time. The food is always perfect and unique.Special Features:
- Amazing food neighborhood gem!NatieDined on 8/2/2014Great spot just recently discovered in Federal Hill. Amazing food, great flavors. Had a fantastic "watermelon crush" with muddled watermelon & pinot grigio. Clever spins on their foods with great use of fresh herbs etc. Also an amazing restaurant week deal for only $20! Would highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- first time here, excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014kind, prompt service, I had the following, Shakshuka - two eggs poached with a chunky tomato sauce, feta, served with toast, home fries & fruit, eggs cooked perfectly, the chunky tomato sauce sprinkled with feta was delicious, home fries and a nice toasted & buttered piece of excellent bread with a great crust to round it off. A side of fruit salad was also a welcome addition to the meal, my only lament is that I was hungry and could have eaten two helpings ;-).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rediscovered Sobo Cafe and loved itKOBmoreVIPDined on 7/30/2014Haven't been to Sobo Cafe in years since I first moved to Federal Hill. Lately, I've heard a lot about it and went with some girlfriends and was reminded why I used to love it. Amazing servers who provided great and thoughtful recommendations, and great food. Was good for sharing too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The best food and service in federal hill I would suggest this cafe to everyone I knowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great eveningRandDined on 7/19/2014This was my wife's birthday dinner. The host and waitress gave us a nice table as requested and a birthday candle with dessert. The service was excellent. The food was superb. We had a great time. We hope to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, cozy atmosphere!NatalieDined on 7/16/2014Had lovely dinner with my Aunt - happened to be wine night, but that week were faturing "mimosa flights." I was a little skeptical at first (versus a traditional glass of wine), but each one was better than the next! Each made with herbs they grew at the restaurant paired with fresh fruit and sparking wine (Such as Terragon Melon, Strawberry basil) - all fantastic! The food itself far exceeded my expectations (each course there were nothing remaining on either of our dishes). All of the staff wsa wonderful, the atmosphere intimate and warm, couldn't have had a nicer experience! Definintely a true neighborhood gem tucked in federal hill.Special Features:
- KMarkDined on 7/14/2014Great fresh food. Nice friendly atmosphere. We had a very nice relaxing lunch for 3. Smoke salmon salad was awesome.Special Features:
- Top favorite in baltimoreMichieVIPDined on 7/13/2014This is one of my top favorite restaurants in baltimore. The food is amazing, the staff is attentive, energetic and friendly, and the ambience is delightful. Sobo has become one of my favorites, especially for brunch. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Neighborhood SpotLM24Dined on 7/12/2014I love this place! I've been here before, and always take out of town friends or family to enjoy their awesome brunch menu. The eggs benedict is bangin'! The servers are always very friendly and on point with taking care of drinks, clearing plates, etc. The food is cooked perfectly, comes out together, and tastes awesome. I wish their mimosas/bloody mary's were cheaper than $8 during brunch hours...especially since many places in the city have bottomless for $12-$15. That's my only criticism. I'd love to try one of their evening specials, I just forget and always think of it as the brunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding neighborhood gemKarenVIPDined on 7/7/2014Love it here. We've been here on a number of occasions at all different times of the year and SoBo does not disappoint. We've brought suburban friends who later return on their own. Food is always high quality and consistently interesting. Not just the main feature of your dish, but also the sides, the sauces. All desserts are made in-house as are the breads. The strawberry shortbread with homemade basil ice cream--try it if it's on the menu or anything else that strikes your fancy. The value for money is outstanding. The staff is professional and not afraid to really answer questions about this dish versus that dish. Wine list is thoughtful and has good selections at a variety of price points. All of this keeps us happily returning.Special Features:
- 75cookformeDined on 7/7/2014SOBO has become the place I want to take all my suburban friends who might be a bit uncomfortable downtown. It is homey and the food is outstanding all the time. I live near so I also find it great for a take-out supper when I don't feel like cooking. Parking can be a challenge as it is anywhere in South Baltimore but that has never kept me from going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/6/2014I come here a lot. Great clientele. Always great food and drink. Tried it for Sunday brunch and, once again, a delicious experience. Occasionally, they change out some items on the menu, which keeps it fresh and interesting. I always walk away full and happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.