5847 Elllsworth Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15232Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bigburrito.com/soba
- Phone: (412) 362-5656
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Danielle Cain
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available through "Big Catering", part of the big Burrito Restaurant Group. For information please call (412) 361-3272 ex 210.
- Private Party Facilities: Soba has a private dining room that can accommodate up to 25 guests as well as multiple room cocktail and sit down dinner parties for as many as 75 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Warren 4123625656
- Special Events: Visit www.bigburrito.com/soba for information on upcoming events at Soba
A word from SOBA Lounge
Soba is a Pan-Asian restaurant that consistently rates as one of Pittsburgh's finest, with accolades ranging from Best New Restaurant (In Pittsburgh) & Best Restaurant (Pittsburgh Magazine) to Best Martini (Pittsburgh City Paper) & Delicious Design (Pittsburgh Magazine). The menu changes daily, allowing the chef to create signature selections with an Asian influence. The large selection of tempting appetizers are perfect for sharing among your group. Drink specialties include seasonal martinis made with house-infused vodkas. Soba's wine list is recognized by Wine Spectator and has a wine to complement any dinner. Soba is housed in a beautiful, three-story Victorian building on Ellsworth Avenue in Shadyside. The restaurant has an urban/modern Zen garden atmosphere with a spectacular two-story water wall. The restaurant includes a comfortable first floor lounge, several small dining rooms & a rooftop deck.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SOBA Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (84)special occasion (77)neighborhood gem (58)romantic (50)vibrant bar scene (35)hot spot (33)good for groups (32)notable wine list (18)late-night find (18)great for outdoor dining (10)scenic view (3)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- One of Pittsburghs best optionsjcraraVIPDined on 11/24/2014For Pittsburgh this is one of the best places. The atmosphere cannot be beat! Our server must have been new or very off her game as she made a multitude of mistakes, but was nice. Miss having more sushi on the menu. Not an easy menu if you are looking for low carbs and low sugar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soba--okay and good. Value priced. Not fabulous.jlLongDined on 11/22/2014Loved the food. Service was about average for Pittsburgh (poor to barely acceptable). Setting was great. Background "top 40" rap music was just ridiculous and out of place. Overall the price was great, food was great. I'd give it a strong 7 out of 10. Don't expect romantic because it's not. It could be if the horrible music blaring over conversation was missing. Incidentally, essentially "DARK" and unable to read the menu would be fine if the overall setting was romantic. It comes off as grasping and not-quite-there because of the poor background music that is too loud. Service polite but slow is still above average for Pittsburgh where service is generally pitiful. Have to say again the food is very good. It's a great value. Wine list nothing special--this place would do well to offer a lot more California and Australian wine and a lot less of the other options. I know I sound negative--and I don't intend to. It was good. I'll go back. I'll simply lower my expectations as an intimate 'date night' location. More worth the $ than many more expensive places in Pittsburgh. Food very, very good. Value strong. Too bad they don't plan softer and more appropriate music and a bit more lighting. This could be a 9 out of 10 place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Reliable!kneesVIPDined on 11/19/2014We are regulars and always enjoy the creativity and fresh preparations. Loved the tea salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SobahungrymeDined on 11/17/2014Excellent service. Our waiter permitted us to convert our appetizers to entre portions so that we could use a coupon. Crab Cakes were amazing and the wine list extensive. Wines did seem a bit overpriced by the glass. Atmosphere was quiet and the restaurant design, beautiful. You must try the Pretzel Stack for dessert. 3 of us were able to split it easily and still feel satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful evening (again)MrBAKDined on 11/9/2014OK, sous chef in charge on a Sunday evening, dinner of four and you worry about a drop in quality. Not here. The food prepared wonderfully from an imaginative menu and the servings portioned well. We were there for nearly 3 hours and had shared plates a couple appetizers and each a main course. They have a great wine and cocktail menu of which we enjoyed also. Soba has never disappointed. It didn't this time. (thanks Barton, the trainee and Scott the server!)Special Features:
- Best in PittsburghDuncanDined on 11/8/2014This was my fifth visit to Soba. This is my favorite restaurant in Pittsburgh. We all had fish, and the freshness and preparation were outstanding. Also, we got great service.Special Features:
- DisappointmentZimmerDined on 11/7/2014Soba for a birthday dinner below expectations on food; Quantity, Taste, Presentation, and Menu not consistent with the rest of Big Burrito Company. We were surprised that they are part of the group.Special Features:
- Good food/drink, lackluster servicePghFoodistDined on 11/7/2014Food: Korean BBQ ribs were tender with a great sauce. Korean fried chicken was juicy and had great flavor, though the skin could have been crispier. Drink: Soba Ghost and Offer You Can't Refuse, both great. Service: The waiter was fine most of the evening. Hearing 'pumpkin', 'sweetened condensed milk,' and--the real sale--'persimmon' ice creams gave us no reason to hesitate. A few minutes later, a food runner brings out some kind of chocolate-coffee scoop, something almondy/cherry-ish, and a white, unidentifiable flavor. No pumpkin. No persimmon. Then we waited, and waited, and waited for our check--for at least 20 minutes. Making a 6PM reservation to get to our 9PM show downtown seemed safe; we barely made it.Special Features:
- Great first experienceDelishDish4meDined on 11/6/2014Loved my first experience at Soba- beautiful atmostphere. The thai hot pot was delicious, and a great size portion. Will definitely want to come back.Special Features:
- Satisfied and HappyRWojoDined on 11/6/2014SOBA did not leave us disappointed. We started off with the Rock Shrimp, A Fat Roll and the pork lettuce wraps and all three were amazing. I especially enjoyed the Rock Shrimp and Roll. I had the Miso Black Cod and that was extremely tasty as well. I recommend SOBA to anyone and will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- SobaKarenVIPDined on 11/3/2014The additions to the menu are great. I want to go back and try them all. The menu is pricey but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Outstanding service, the food was wonderful, the wines were very good.Special Features:
- SOBA NEVER FAILS TO PLEASEFOODLIFE49Dined on 10/28/2014New ambience is comfortable. Food was exceptional; Eli's influence shows. Hamachi starter was perfect; fresh, very tasty; right amount of spice. Lobster roll was good but flavors a little bland. Both mains were exceptional. The Long Island duck breast was tender and flavorful but slightly overcooked, approaching medium. The confit leg was outstanding in flavor and texture. The chef needs to work on his gnocci; a little on the chewy side. Miso Black Cod was exceptional and paired well with the pulled pork and the rich sauce. Dish could use a little more bok choy to offset the very pronounced flavors of the dish. Wines by the glass have improved, Veuve Clicquot great with starters. Vouvray acidity paired well with cod.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- averageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014The chocolate Maki desert was good. But it was the only good thing.
- food was amazingRG1Q84VIPDined on 10/26/2014The quality of the food here was incredible, and that alone would bring me back. The service was pretty slow, even though it wasn't all that busy. But otherwise, a great meal, great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsBobABooeyVIPDined on 10/24/2014Everything about Soba is wonderful! Never disappointed with a Big Burrito Group restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience!zippyVIPDined on 10/22/2014Lovely bar scene, food was very good and interesting, service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome FiletDinerDebDined on 10/20/2014Have gotten the Filet dinner Everytime.....The complete dinner is a perfect taste combination..! I Always head their direction when I want this wonderful meal..!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!JessDined on 10/19/2014The food was very good; the restaurant was able to accommodate our special dietary needs without a fuss. Service was outstanding - fast when we wanted attention, absent when we were absorbed in conversation, and our server made some terrific drink recommendations that delighted us both. My only disappointment was the ambiance. I'd heard really good things but we were seated in a decidedly ordinary space. It wasn't ugly, just not very delightful or impressive. I'd go back for the food and service, and request to be seated in a more awesome area if it were a special occasion!I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014many good vegetarian options, although little change in the menu over timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!!noodlesDined on 10/18/2014Great food , great drinks, and great service!! What more do you need?Special Features:
- disappointing freebiesoupyDined on 10/16/2014since replacing Chef Danielle, food quality, uniqueness and flavors have slipped tragically.
- Top qualityDonaldDined on 10/15/2014Another superb dinner outing at Soba this past week. The new sushi roll appetizer is great, we would have been happy ordering several of those for our dinner entree. The Thai seafood hot pot and black cod entrees were superbly prepared and richly flavored. This is one of the great Big Burrito dining spots that never seems to disappoint. Run don't walk to Soba for your next dinner outing.Special Features:
- Great dining!2chopstickAiaDined on 10/13/2014I've been going to Soba for years and have never once had a bad meal there. My most recent visit was no exception though the service was a bit slower than what I was looking for that night. The new remodeling of the restaurant was very pleasant and enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dkb58VIPDined on 10/13/2014Good waiter!! Helpful with food choices!! Will return.Special Features:
- Maybe our server was having bad daycoolbreezeDined on 10/10/2014Food and atmosphere was really good Our server wasn't so nice and she was no where to be found.Special Features:
- remodeledlilcatDined on 10/9/2014Haven't been there since the remodel but it is nice & the food is great as ever, great place for intimate conversations & catching up with old friends. Yummy upscale asian fusion.Special Features:
- Hubby's bday dinnerhuffmansDined on 10/8/2014The food and service were excellent but the noise level made conversation a bit of a challenge. There were larger groups seated all around us so we were literally surrounded by other conversations that just blended into noise. I have eaten here in the past and been seated in much quieter table when with a smaller group.Special Features:
- A bit disappointingFrequentCustVIPDined on 10/5/2014We have enjoyed Soba in the past for excellent food and great service. This time, we were a bit disappointed. My tuna steak was not the quality cut that I expected and not properly seared (if I wanted sushi I would have ordered it), although the side dishes were excellent. Maybe it was the fact that it was Sunday evening, but the service was also not to their high standard.
- Asian beauty with out flavorDocARDined on 10/4/2014Nicely prepared and presented, lacking in flavor. When I order curry, I expect a bit of flavor, I would expect curry to have some kick to it. I was disappointed to order curry and taste a smokey bland flavor. My table mates also thought their dishes were bland and lacked complexity of flavor. We are from out of town and perhaps accustomed to pan-asian to be prepared with authentic flare. The staff did try to accommodate when we mentioned that the food was too mild, by bringing a "hot sauce" but it could not possibly liven up the dish. We realize not all Asian dishes are spicy, but he menu should specify mild from spicy which I equate with authentic. In 30+ years of dinning in upscale restaurants, I have never had a bland curry.Special Features:
- Declining in Quality Oct 2, 2014MikiDined on 10/3/2014We have been going to Soba for over 10 years. The quality of the food has definitely declined. The portion sizes continue to decrease (an order of pork dumplings gets you 4 instead of 8). It is so dark you can barely see your food and the music they play is for 20 somethings. It is an Asian restaurant, they should play beautiful soft Asian music and turn up the lights some so you can enjoy the lovely decor. The chef must have definitely changed, the food is nowhere near what it used to be. We are very disappointed. It was our favorite restaurant. I think they are targeting a younger crowd, but young people do not spend the amount of money required to eat at Soba. Miki Fato Miki Fato
- Great menuCilePDined on 10/3/2014Wonderful atmosphere, service and menu. Would definitely recommend to others and would go back again when in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty TimeSatisfiedDined on 10/2/2014My husband and I enjoy everything from the before dinner drink to the dessert and coffee. Main courses were filled with unique flavors, and the portion size was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A 5 Star Night!!babella22Dined on 10/1/2014Wonderful evening with friends to celebrate Meg's birthday...couldn't have been more perfect...from the hostess to the bartender...each attentive but not hovering...once seated, waitress couldn't have been nicer!!! Truly appreciate the level of quality and service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience...JanasMomDined on 9/26/2014Soba has become one of my daughter's favorite restaurants and I was happy to see her pick it for her 10th birthday dinner. The staff was very welcoming, helpful, and prompt. The food, as always, was wonderful. I dont know how a 10 yo, 78lb, 4'9" kid can put away an entire filet mignon, but to me, that also says a lot to the food preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern refined fusion2Big4BritchesDined on 9/22/2014The atmosphere and wait staff combine to make the experience super chill while moderately upscale. Each dish is prepared with careful attention and robust flavor. Our waiter was very knowledgable about all of the dishes and was willing to answer each question in detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- much improvedmarciaVIPDined on 9/18/2014Since the new chef has taken over menu has become much more diversified still includes their regulars but now many more dishes prepared specially. I had a marvelous double pork chop..( keep it on menu) friends had duck ( they loved) friends loved tasting menu. We are regulars...love the improvementSpecial Features:
- Eh.businessdinerDined on 9/16/2014For the cost of the meals, the food was sub-par. Service was bad, and we rarely saw our server. When she was there she did a horrible job taking orders and making suggestions. She ended up creating confusion and almost ordered two meals for one of our business guests. Luckily they asked her to review the order first and caught the mistake. Clearly, no one had confidence in her skills. If the food was able to make up for it, I might have given a higher rating. I will not return to this venue for business dinners.
- One of the best mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Found out that Soba was having a 4 course meal with wine pairing to celebrate Korean Holiday chuseok,hurried and made the reservation to go. It was one of the best meals I've had. I loved how they fusionized (?) Korean dish to make even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Korean FeastTravelerVIPDined on 9/11/2014Every course was a delicious delight to the palate. Artistically created and paired with the perfect wine.Special Features: