5847 Elllsworth Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15232Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bigburrito.com/soba
- Phone: 4123625656
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Danielle Cain
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available through "Big Catering", part of the big Burrito Restaurant Group. For information please call (412) 361-3272 ex 210.
- Private Party Facilities: Soba has a private dining room that can accommodate up to 25 guests as well as multiple room cocktail and sit down dinner parties for as many as 75 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Warren 4123625656
- Special Events: Visit www.bigburrito.com/soba for information on upcoming events at Soba
A word from SOBA Lounge
Soba is a Pan-Asian restaurant that consistently rates as one of Pittsburgh's finest, with accolades ranging from Best New Restaurant (In Pittsburgh) & Best Restaurant (Pittsburgh Magazine) to Best Martini (Pittsburgh City Paper) & Delicious Design (Pittsburgh Magazine). The menu changes daily, allowing the chef to create signature selections with an Asian influence. The large selection of tempting appetizers are perfect for sharing among your group. Drink specialties include seasonal martinis made with house-infused vodkas. Soba's wine list is recognized by Wine Spectator and has a wine to complement any dinner. Soba is housed in a beautiful, three-story Victorian building on Ellsworth Avenue in Shadyside. The restaurant has an urban/modern Zen garden atmosphere with a spectacular two-story water wall. The restaurant includes a comfortable first floor lounge, several small dining rooms & a rooftop deck.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SOBA Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (86)special occasion (85)neighborhood gem (57)romantic (52)vibrant bar scene (35)hot spot (31)good for groups (27)notable wine list (21)great for outdoor dining (15)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- SOBA NEVER FAILS TO PLEASEFOODLIFE49Dined on 10/28/2014New ambience is comfortable. Food was exceptional; Eli's influence shows. Hamachi starter was perfect; fresh, very tasty; right amount of spice. Lobster roll was good but flavors a little bland. Both mains were exceptional. The Long Island duck breast was tender and flavorful but slightly overcooked, approaching medium. The confit leg was outstanding in flavor and texture. The chef needs to work on his gnocci; a little on the chewy side. Miso Black Cod was exceptional and paired well with the pulled pork and the rich sauce. Dish could use a little more bok choy to offset the very pronounced flavors of the dish. Wines by the glass have improved, Veuve Clicquot great with starters. Vouvray acidity paired well with cod.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- averageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014The chocolate Maki desert was good. But it was the only good thing.
- food was amazingRG1Q84VIPDined on 10/26/2014The quality of the food here was incredible, and that alone would bring me back. The service was pretty slow, even though it wasn't all that busy. But otherwise, a great meal, great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsBobABooeyVIPDined on 10/24/2014Everything about Soba is wonderful! Never disappointed with a Big Burrito Group restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome FiletDinerDebDined on 10/20/2014Have gotten the Filet dinner Everytime.....The complete dinner is a perfect taste combination..! I Always head their direction when I want this wonderful meal..!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!JessDined on 10/19/2014The food was very good; the restaurant was able to accommodate our special dietary needs without a fuss. Service was outstanding - fast when we wanted attention, absent when we were absorbed in conversation, and our server made some terrific drink recommendations that delighted us both. My only disappointment was the ambiance. I'd heard really good things but we were seated in a decidedly ordinary space. It wasn't ugly, just not very delightful or impressive. I'd go back for the food and service, and request to be seated in a more awesome area if it were a special occasion!I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014many good vegetarian options, although little change in the menu over timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing freebiesoupyDined on 10/16/2014since replacing Chef Danielle, food quality, uniqueness and flavors have slipped tragically.
- Top qualityDonaldDined on 10/15/2014Another superb dinner outing at Soba this past week. The new sushi roll appetizer is great, we would have been happy ordering several of those for our dinner entree. The Thai seafood hot pot and black cod entrees were superbly prepared and richly flavored. This is one of the great Big Burrito dining spots that never seems to disappoint. Run don't walk to Soba for your next dinner outing.Special Features:
- Great dining!2chopstickAiaDined on 10/13/2014I've been going to Soba for years and have never once had a bad meal there. My most recent visit was no exception though the service was a bit slower than what I was looking for that night. The new remodeling of the restaurant was very pleasant and enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dkb58VIPDined on 10/13/2014Good waiter!! Helpful with food choices!! Will return.Special Features:
- Maybe our server was having bad daycoolbreezeDined on 10/10/2014Food and atmosphere was really good Our server wasn't so nice and she was no where to be found.Special Features:
- remodeledlilcatDined on 10/9/2014Haven't been there since the remodel but it is nice & the food is great as ever, great place for intimate conversations & catching up with old friends. Yummy upscale asian fusion.Special Features:
- Hubby's bday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014The food and service were excellent but the noise level made conversation a bit of a challenge. There were larger groups seated all around us so we were literally surrounded by other conversations that just blended into noise. I have eaten here in the past and been seated in much quieter table when with a smaller group.Special Features:
- A bit disappointingFrequentCustVIPDined on 10/5/2014We have enjoyed Soba in the past for excellent food and great service. This time, we were a bit disappointed. My tuna steak was not the quality cut that I expected and not properly seared (if I wanted sushi I would have ordered it), although the side dishes were excellent. Maybe it was the fact that it was Sunday evening, but the service was also not to their high standard.
- Asian beauty with out flavorDocARDined on 10/4/2014Nicely prepared and presented, lacking in flavor. When I order curry, I expect a bit of flavor, I would expect curry to have some kick to it. I was disappointed to order curry and taste a smokey bland flavor. My table mates also thought their dishes were bland and lacked complexity of flavor. We are from out of town and perhaps accustomed to pan-asian to be prepared with authentic flare. The staff did try to accommodate when we mentioned that the food was too mild, by bringing a "hot sauce" but it could not possibly liven up the dish. We realize not all Asian dishes are spicy, but he menu should specify mild from spicy which I equate with authentic. In 30+ years of dinning in upscale restaurants, I have never had a bland curry.Special Features:
- Declining in Quality Oct 2, 2014MikiDined on 10/3/2014We have been going to Soba for over 10 years. The quality of the food has definitely declined. The portion sizes continue to decrease (an order of pork dumplings gets you 4 instead of 8). It is so dark you can barely see your food and the music they play is for 20 somethings. It is an Asian restaurant, they should play beautiful soft Asian music and turn up the lights some so you can enjoy the lovely decor. The chef must have definitely changed, the food is nowhere near what it used to be. We are very disappointed. It was our favorite restaurant. I think they are targeting a younger crowd, but young people do not spend the amount of money required to eat at Soba. Miki Fato Miki Fato
- Great menuCilePDined on 10/3/2014Wonderful atmosphere, service and menu. Would definitely recommend to others and would go back again when in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty TimeSatisfiedDined on 10/2/2014My husband and I enjoy everything from the before dinner drink to the dessert and coffee. Main courses were filled with unique flavors, and the portion size was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A 5 Star Night!!babella22Dined on 10/1/2014Wonderful evening with friends to celebrate Meg's birthday...couldn't have been more perfect...from the hostess to the bartender...each attentive but not hovering...once seated, waitress couldn't have been nicer!!! Truly appreciate the level of quality and service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience...JanasMomDined on 9/26/2014Soba has become one of my daughter's favorite restaurants and I was happy to see her pick it for her 10th birthday dinner. The staff was very welcoming, helpful, and prompt. The food, as always, was wonderful. I dont know how a 10 yo, 78lb, 4'9" kid can put away an entire filet mignon, but to me, that also says a lot to the food preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern refined fusion2Big4BritchesDined on 9/22/2014The atmosphere and wait staff combine to make the experience super chill while moderately upscale. Each dish is prepared with careful attention and robust flavor. Our waiter was very knowledgable about all of the dishes and was willing to answer each question in detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- much improvedmarciaVIPDined on 9/18/2014Since the new chef has taken over menu has become much more diversified still includes their regulars but now many more dishes prepared specially. I had a marvelous double pork chop..( keep it on menu) friends had duck ( they loved) friends loved tasting menu. We are regulars...love the improvementSpecial Features:
- Eh.businessdinerDined on 9/16/2014For the cost of the meals, the food was sub-par. Service was bad, and we rarely saw our server. When she was there she did a horrible job taking orders and making suggestions. She ended up creating confusion and almost ordered two meals for one of our business guests. Luckily they asked her to review the order first and caught the mistake. Clearly, no one had confidence in her skills. If the food was able to make up for it, I might have given a higher rating. I will not return to this venue for business dinners.
- One of the best mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Found out that Soba was having a 4 course meal with wine pairing to celebrate Korean Holiday chuseok,hurried and made the reservation to go. It was one of the best meals I've had. I loved how they fusionized (?) Korean dish to make even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Korean FeastTravelerVIPDined on 9/11/2014Every course was a delicious delight to the palate. Artistically created and paired with the perfect wine.Special Features:
- DowntownJDined on 9/11/2014Best seared Tuna in town. The tasting menus, when available, are very well done and a good value for high quality food.Special Features:
- Disappointing FoodLJubeDined on 9/9/2014I was extremely disappointed with my entree, black cod. I sent it back to the kitchen because it was not cooked to my satisfaction. The second time around was not much better. I had planned to return to soba with friends to celebrate my birthday but cancelled the reservation in light of my most recent dining experience.
- Good food, consistentDarwiNDined on 9/6/2014Really enjoyed soba, food was properly cooked, and well timed, only complaint was the hamachi app, it was described as hamachi with sliced peaches and avocado, thats a good combo but it was not put together i had to piece the flavors together, would have liked them to be together in a pre made biteSpecial Features:
- tommyboy363tommyboy363Dined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed dinner with a group of friends. Service was very good; food delicious. First time to Soba. Would recommend.Special Features:
- DeliciousnessBonzaiDined on 9/5/2014I have never had a meal at SOBA that I didn't love. From appetizers to desserts you can't go wrong. Tuna and Pad Thai are fabulous, so is the Tofu appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable pan-asian fareOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/5/2014We always love Soba. Favorites include the chopped salad, lobster taco, fried rock shrimp, pad thai, and curry. The food is reliably good, and the dishes are mostly very flavorful. Best to get a bunch of small dishes and share.Special Features:
- mbergerartVIPDined on 8/30/2014Though he early crowd was sparce, nevertheless the service was very slow. Newly remodeled first floor a definite sophisticated improvement. BTW, the Valet parking service was the best I've seen lately.Special Features:
- Birthday at SobaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Soba is an excellent example of what restaurants are becoming. Friendly, energetic and very liberal with their menus. This was the last of the Big Burrito restaurants that I had to try and I do not know why I waited so long. The drinks and desserts were an outstanding complement to our meal, which bursted at the seams with flavor. The portions were very generous and while it was a little pricey it was worth every penny. The quality of the food and service was top notch and the entire experience was A+. The night I visited was my fiancee's birthday, and our waitress did everything to make the night more lax and enjoyable for us. I recommend Soba to anyone who loves Asian inspired dishes or even just someone who loves to try something new.Special Features:
- Cool PlacePurellDined on 8/28/2014I was a first time diner at Soba. The atmosphere is cool. The service was excellent, including the waitress helping my undecided dining companion choose an entree. The drinks were delicious....overpriced, but delicious. My only complaint is that the tables were to close. I felt right in the conversations of the surrounding tables. In fact, I chose my entree based on the opinion of the woman at table next, only she wasn't talking to me. I also felt like my entire conversation could be heard. So I would definitely give Soba a low score if privacy was one of the rating choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More American than it used to beBirthdayDinerDined on 8/25/2014My family and I were slightly disappointed. First the restaurant looks more like a hotel lounge than its more trendy previous incarnation. Second, the kitchen was out of the two items we wanted - duck and soft shell crabs. The server explained that was due to Sunday's popularity. Is there no markets open on Mondays? I'm pretty sure that Wholey's is. Third, we always enjoyed the restaurant for its PanAsian flavor but there were many items on the menu that did not fit that characterization. However, we enjoyed the small plates; the Korean ribs were excellent,and the tofu dish and the crab rolls (or something like that) were very good. My husband enjoyed his fish dish although it was not particularly generous in servings size.
- Soba hits the spot!MoniqueiciVIPDined on 8/24/2014We always enjoy a summer evening on Soba's outdoor patio. The food is always perfect and yummy drinks!Special Features:
- SatisfactorymichelleLDined on 8/22/2014I first found SOBA two years ago and loved it. springrolls were wonderful. The salmon was average but I expected more from the restaurant and the price. The portion was adequate but everything else was basic ( lentils overwhelmed the salmon, the beans were warm and over seasoned. The desert Terrain was amazing, but sadly, we may move on to another gem. michelle labayenSpecial Features:
- seared rare tuna - top notch!searedrareDined on 8/22/2014my wife and i visit SOBA at least twice per year for their seared rare tuna. it is absolutely the best.Special Features:
- Soba LoungeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Moderate food, barely tolerable service. Very poor for a very pricey place. Indifferent to hostile service service at the door and on departure. Charmless.Special Features: