5847 Elllsworth Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15232Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bigburrito.com/soba
- Phone: 4123625656
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Danielle Cain
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available through "Big Catering", part of the big Burrito Restaurant Group. For information please call (412) 361-3272 ex 210.
- Private Party Facilities: Soba has a private dining room that can accommodate up to 25 guests as well as multiple room cocktail and sit down dinner parties for as many as 75 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Warren 4123625656
- Special Events: Visit www.bigburrito.com/soba for information on upcoming events at Soba
A word from SOBA Lounge
Soba is a Pan-Asian restaurant that consistently rates as one of Pittsburgh's finest, with accolades ranging from Best New Restaurant (In Pittsburgh) & Best Restaurant (Pittsburgh Magazine) to Best Martini (Pittsburgh City Paper) & Delicious Design (Pittsburgh Magazine). The menu changes daily, allowing the chef to create signature selections with an Asian influence. The large selection of tempting appetizers are perfect for sharing among your group. Drink specialties include seasonal martinis made with house-infused vodkas. Soba's wine list is recognized by Wine Spectator and has a wine to complement any dinner. Soba is housed in a beautiful, three-story Victorian building on Ellsworth Avenue in Shadyside. The restaurant has an urban/modern Zen garden atmosphere with a spectacular two-story water wall. The restaurant includes a comfortable first floor lounge, several small dining rooms & a rooftop deck.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SOBA Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (98)fit for foodies (93)romantic (65)neighborhood gem (63)vibrant bar scene (39)good for groups (32)hot spot (28)notable wine list (26)great for outdoor dining (19)late-night find (18)great for lunch (4)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- much improvedmarciaVIPDined on 9/18/2014Since the new chef has taken over menu has become much more diversified still includes their regulars but now many more dishes prepared specially. I had a marvelous double pork chop..( keep it on menu) friends had duck ( they loved) friends loved tasting menu. We are regulars...love the improvementSpecial Features:
- Eh.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/16/2014For the cost of the meals, the food was sub-par. Service was bad, and we rarely saw our server. When she was there she did a horrible job taking orders and making suggestions. She ended up creating confusion and almost ordered two meals for one of our business guests. Luckily they asked her to review the order first and caught the mistake. Clearly, no one had confidence in her skills. If the food was able to make up for it, I might have given a higher rating. I will not return to this venue for business dinners.
- One of the best mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Found out that Soba was having a 4 course meal with wine pairing to celebrate Korean Holiday chuseok,hurried and made the reservation to go. It was one of the best meals I've had. I loved how they fusionized (?) Korean dish to make even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Korean FeastTravelerVIPDined on 9/11/2014Every course was a delicious delight to the palate. Artistically created and paired with the perfect wine.Special Features:
- DowntownJDined on 9/11/2014Best seared Tuna in town. The tasting menus, when available, are very well done and a good value for high quality food.Special Features:
- Disappointing FoodLJubeDined on 9/9/2014I was extremely disappointed with my entree, black cod. I sent it back to the kitchen because it was not cooked to my satisfaction. The second time around was not much better. I had planned to return to soba with friends to celebrate my birthday but cancelled the reservation in light of my most recent dining experience.
- Good food, consistentDarwiNDined on 9/6/2014Really enjoyed soba, food was properly cooked, and well timed, only complaint was the hamachi app, it was described as hamachi with sliced peaches and avocado, thats a good combo but it was not put together i had to piece the flavors together, would have liked them to be together in a pre made biteSpecial Features:
- tommyboy363tommyboy363Dined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed dinner with a group of friends. Service was very good; food delicious. First time to Soba. Would recommend.Special Features:
- DeliciousnessBonzaiDined on 9/5/2014I have never had a meal at SOBA that I didn't love. From appetizers to desserts you can't go wrong. Tuna and Pad Thai are fabulous, so is the Tofu appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable pan-asian fareOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/5/2014We always love Soba. Favorites include the chopped salad, lobster taco, fried rock shrimp, pad thai, and curry. The food is reliably good, and the dishes are mostly very flavorful. Best to get a bunch of small dishes and share.Special Features:
- mbergerartVIPDined on 8/30/2014Though he early crowd was sparce, nevertheless the service was very slow. Newly remodeled first floor a definite sophisticated improvement. BTW, the Valet parking service was the best I've seen lately.Special Features:
- Birthday at SobaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Soba is an excellent example of what restaurants are becoming. Friendly, energetic and very liberal with their menus. This was the last of the Big Burrito restaurants that I had to try and I do not know why I waited so long. The drinks and desserts were an outstanding complement to our meal, which bursted at the seams with flavor. The portions were very generous and while it was a little pricey it was worth every penny. The quality of the food and service was top notch and the entire experience was A+. The night I visited was my fiancee's birthday, and our waitress did everything to make the night more lax and enjoyable for us. I recommend Soba to anyone who loves Asian inspired dishes or even just someone who loves to try something new.Special Features:
- Cool PlacePurellDined on 8/28/2014I was a first time diner at Soba. The atmosphere is cool. The service was excellent, including the waitress helping my undecided dining companion choose an entree. The drinks were delicious....overpriced, but delicious. My only complaint is that the tables were to close. I felt right in the conversations of the surrounding tables. In fact, I chose my entree based on the opinion of the woman at table next, only she wasn't talking to me. I also felt like my entire conversation could be heard. So I would definitely give Soba a low score if privacy was one of the rating choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More American than it used to beBirthdayDinerDined on 8/25/2014My family and I were slightly disappointed. First the restaurant looks more like a hotel lounge than its more trendy previous incarnation. Second, the kitchen was out of the two items we wanted - duck and soft shell crabs. The server explained that was due to Sunday's popularity. Is there no markets open on Mondays? I'm pretty sure that Wholey's is. Third, we always enjoyed the restaurant for its PanAsian flavor but there were many items on the menu that did not fit that characterization. However, we enjoyed the small plates; the Korean ribs were excellent,and the tofu dish and the crab rolls (or something like that) were very good. My husband enjoyed his fish dish although it was not particularly generous in servings size.
- Soba hits the spot!MoniqueiciVIPDined on 8/24/2014We always enjoy a summer evening on Soba's outdoor patio. The food is always perfect and yummy drinks!Special Features:
- SatisfactorymichelleLDined on 8/22/2014I first found SOBA two years ago and loved it. springrolls were wonderful. The salmon was average but I expected more from the restaurant and the price. The portion was adequate but everything else was basic ( lentils overwhelmed the salmon, the beans were warm and over seasoned. The desert Terrain was amazing, but sadly, we may move on to another gem. michelle labayenSpecial Features:
- seared rare tuna - top notch!searedrareDined on 8/22/2014my wife and i visit SOBA at least twice per year for their seared rare tuna. it is absolutely the best.Special Features:
- Soba LoungeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Moderate food, barely tolerable service. Very poor for a very pricey place. Indifferent to hostile service service at the door and on departure. Charmless.Special Features:
- LovelySharoncDined on 8/18/2014We came here after an exhausting ride from Philly. The food was great as was the ambience and service.Special Features:
- SOBA DinnerDJARDined on 8/16/2014Good food and good service. Unique flavors on all apps and dinners that we ordered. Waitress hovered a little in the beginning but eased up quickly and was friendly overall.Special Features:
- another fabulous dinnerspecialkDined on 8/11/2014We were celebrating a special birthday and chose one of our favorite restaurants, SOBA. The food as always was spectacular - my favorite remains the seared ahi tuna. THe menu had changed since we were last there and we think the changes are food for the good - more offerings, and more to our taste. Its also soft shell crab season and that was one of our appetizers - again, just great. Our kir royales were spot on, and the waiter was particularly helpful. another great visit!Special Features:
- Tasty birthday dinner!foodiefoodfoodDined on 8/10/2014I had a coupon from Big Burrito for $30 toward an entree, and seeing as how I hadn't had an excuse to go to Soba yet that was my choice! I had the seared rare tuna and my boyfriend got the crispy tofu & crab springrolls. All of our food was amazing! Flavors were fantastic; the sauce and seasoning for the tuna was spicy, but not overly so. Our drinks were great as well. For dessert we did the chocolate maki, which pretty much blew my mind creativity-wise. It was also delicious for someone who loves chocolate. Our service was good, but we didn't ask a lot of questions or need much help. He did keep our water glasses full and check in often which was great!
- Enjoyed Again!PghFoodieDined on 8/8/2014We enjoyed dining at Soba and would definitely return again. The ambiance is always perfect for a date night and the food is delicious. We will return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date NightDebbieDined on 8/2/2014We had a great date night at this restaurant. The food was delicious, although the menu was somewhat limited. We both really enjoyed the evening and will definitely return .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my best picksAileenDined on 7/27/2014The food is fantastic. They have so many creative dishes. I like everything I ordered including the blue bay mussels, lobster maki, duck entree and chocolate maki as desert. Definitely a 5 star and I have recommended to a lot of my friends.Special Features:
- Still love SobacharleeDined on 7/23/2014In addition to the wonderful flavors and food combinations from the Soba kitchen we were very impressed with the excellent service we received from our waiter. Glad I chose it to celebrate my birthday.Special Features:
- Reliable neighborhood standbyJB2PitDined on 7/20/2014We live within walking distance to 4 Big Burrito restaurants and enjoy aspects of all of them. Soba is one of the most reliable. We generally have tasty interesting meals there. Decent wine list, nice bar scene, good asian-fusion food. Service can be uneven, well intentioned, but they don't always come thru as you would like them to. Prices are moderately high, but not out of line for what you get. Wild Alaskan halibut & thakkali curry (vegetarian) were both enjoyable although the rice on the curry plate could be a little more interesting (maybe fresher & less dry). Chocolate pretzel stack was rich, perhaps more malt & miso flavor & a little less sugar for balance. Wine markups are 3x-4x, pricey but typical for these retaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the fish.Ems087Dined on 7/11/2014Great ambience and awesome service. This is a great date/special occasion spot. Recommend dishes: Tuna and halibut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2014I usually get the black cod which is always terrific. This time I went with the halibut and was not disappointed in the least. My wife had the pad thai which is a solid standby and loved it.Special Features:
- SOBA revisitedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2014Consistently excellent food; service good, but not great. Sat on the deck on a delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will return againmoovieloverVIPDined on 7/10/2014The evening was very gracious and so was the dinner. The calamari was an excellent choice for an appetizer. I had the halibut cooked to perfection while the Mrs. had salmon, also perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious!Bdelicous1Dined on 7/9/2014Wonderful mix of pan - Asian. Always fresh interpretations of a variety of Asian dishes. From meat eaters to Vegans, everyone has a spot on the menu. Freshness is highlighted in all dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerpghengsDined on 6/30/2014I took my fiance to Soba for his birthday. The drinks and food were excellent. I had the bangkok tea and the miso black cod. My fiance had the biddle buck and the seared rare tuna. Our server was attentive, but was not very knowledgable about the menu. Overall, I would reccommend this restuarant for special occasions.Special Features:
- Not greatTreeKellerDined on 6/28/2014The soft jazz music was overbearing (I couldn't hear my date). I ordered the tuna steak. The sesame seeds were burnt, and it was doused in a bad interpretation or a Korean BBQ sauce. The dining room wasn't terribly clean, and, even though it had been "redone", looked cheap. We sat on top of the table beside us, as we were squished in. What was sad is that the dining room was not even filled, and we had a reservation. Was that necessary? Overall, a pretty poor dinner. I would not recommend wasting the money on overpriced food with a poor atmosphere. Our server was awesome, but it didn't save the experience.
- UnderwhelmingSlimmyDined on 6/28/2014I was very excited to try Soba for the first time, and maybe that was my first mistake. While the food and the drinks were good, they were not outstanding. Each dish that was presented felt like it was "missing sometime", some crunch in the springrolls, some sauce for the maki... Maybe I am being too critical, but I was not impressed. It is not likely that I will return.
- always exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2014The vietnamese tasting menu was an unexpected change, and we really enjoyed it. The service was top-notch, and each course and wine pairing was explained well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vietnamese tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/27/2014From the trio of starters to the delicious dessert, this was an excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencechai22Dined on 6/27/2014visited for the vietnamese menu tasting and was very impressed with it. everything was great, the server's knowledge of the dishes was impressive and i left looking forward to another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealDinetheWorldDined on 6/22/2014Went for wife's birthday. Were seated immediately in the mid level room. Shared strawberry soup with ginger oil and greens. Served chilled. Ginger oil gave soup a slight kick and greens a pungency that went well with the soup. I had the Thai seafood hot pot and my wife had the duck two ways. There were plenty of mussels 4 or 5 shrimp, two sauteed scallops and two fish cakes served in a spicy soupy sauce. Fish cakes were excellent. Everything else cooked to right degree of doneness. Wife's duck breast was cooked medium rare as ordered and the braise legs very tender both complemented by the sauce. The chocolate maki with warm chocolate sauce was rich and creamy. Service was prompt but not rushed. Anna helped make the night special.Special Features:
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014Took my husband for his birthday, great food and atmosphere. Main floor seemed like a great place for a larger party. Will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.