721 North Lamar Blvd
Oxford, MS 38655Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.citygroceryonline.com/
- Phone: 6622366363x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern
- Executive Chef: Vishwesh Bhatt
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: City Grocery Restaurant Group offers off-site catering through our catering division, The Main Event. We are a full service caterer offering complete event coordination, to include exceptional service, attention to detail and unique menu design to suit each of our clients. Specializing in weddings, rehearsal dinners, anniversary dinners, corporate and university functions. Please call 662-234-9300 to book your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy an intimate dining experience at our Chef"s Tasting Table. We offer seated dining from 8-32 guests, and cocktail parties to a maximum of 50 guests. Allow our chef to create a truly unique menu ranging from family style service, plated, or buffet. Ideal for rehearsal dinners, corporate or university events.
- Private Party Contact: Emma Gaines 6622349300x
- Entertainment: Support the local Oxford music scene, please join us every Wednesday night for live music without a cover charge. Check our website often for updates.
A word from Snackbar
We"ve married French Bistro with North Mississippi Cafe resulting in the Bubba Brasserie cuisine. The Big Bad Smokehouse pulls double duty creating the items for our charcuterie program and choucroute garni gets a second chance with collards and pickled peaches. Raw oysters arrive daily from all over the country adding a unique touch to the glass tiled oysterbar that anchors our lower dining room. Top shelf whiskies, an extensive glass wine program, and innovative cocktails round out an inviting and cozy bar setting likened to an "English Hunt Club."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Snackbar - Best Restaurants in Oxford ›
Snackbar reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (24)special occasion (20)hot spot (15)romantic (14)neighborhood gem (14)notable wine list (12)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)great for lunch (2)Show More
- RyanLorsoDined on 8/27/2014Lived up to the hype, well done! The space was perfect for the mood. The catfish was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect evening!BarbieDined on 8/22/2014The food scene in Oxford impresses us again! We said goodbye to our first born at Ole Miss and wanted a nice dinner before we left town the next morning. We have heard so many good things about Snackbar and were under the impression is was right near the Square. We felt like we found a new little hidden spot even though it is not. It was a perfect evening and I cannot think of one complaint! We will definitely return each time we come to Oxford!Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Everything was wonderful except it took a little long for our server to get our drink order. But service after that was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FeralDined on 7/30/2014I would not recommend the snack bar for special occasions. There seemed like a take it or leave it attitude even though we made reservations in advance for our Birthday celebration, when we arrived we were seated in front of the entry door and way to close to another couple. We noticed there were other tables unoccupied and yet we were told they could not seat us there. So we decided to try a glass of wine and leave.Special Features:
- My out of town guest loved it too.hate2dinealoneDined on 7/26/2014Waitress made the meal a true dining experience. Food was magnificent. Although loud, we were able to have a conversation in our booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterFreshFoodFanDined on 7/10/2014Service was excellent, but we had to send the Quail back for more cooking, and the fingerling eggplant with the Red Grouper were undercooked as well. Shrimp and watermelon salad appetizer was superb! Results seem to vary, as friends dined two nights before and raved about the meal.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in OxfordecbyrdDined on 7/5/2014I know everyone will tell you that City Grocery is the way to go, but Snackbar has better food, a more laid back atmosphere, and much easier parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CooperDined on 6/21/2014Menu was outstanding. Waitress very knowledgable of menu. Great customer service skills. Food was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Birthday at SnackbarOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014We went for my 60 th birthday. Atmosphere was very good. Service was very entertaining. T he drinks were very good. The oysters were very fresh and cold.The menu is updated seasonally and includes a variety of small plates appetizers and entrees. The special of the day ciioppino seafood stew was very good.Great place to go for a good time.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysgator8herDined on 6/7/2014Knowledgeable staff, great service and wonderful blend of flavors to the palatte.Special Features:
- BolindaBolindaDined on 5/29/2014We experienced an excellent waitress and excellent food. The seating was not so excellent. We were at the little table between the stairs and the raw bar. Had reservations for the evening. Ambience not so good for my wife's birthday.Special Features:
- Snackbar, one of my favoritesBobbyVIPDined on 5/24/2014A fun relaxed atmosphere accented with great seafood, charcuterie and seasonal southern influenced dishes. Great list of specialty cocktails that are Snackbar innovations on classic cocktails. If in Oxford this is a restaurant you must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many high fat menu items.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014How about just a grilled piece of fish or filet of beef?
- Best in OxfordMitch2k2Dined on 5/23/2014Snackbar is by far my favorite spot in Oxford. Great cocktails, great wines (and moderately priced, at that), and of course, most importantly, phenomenal food. The raw bar is a must, with fresh oysters flown in daily from all over (the Kumamotos were fantastic, and the Blue Points among the best of that type I'd ever had - even up north). Everything, from sandwiches (have the Croque Madame and thank me later) to entrees, is well planned, well executed, and delicious. On our most recent trip to Oxford, we ate dinner at Snackbar on two consecutive nights (and we were only there for two nights...), and each was a distinct and wonderful experience. Chef Vish Bhatt runs an outstanding kitchen and the service is personable and attentive. Go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grad DinnerGoresDined on 5/8/2014Food was very good and drinks were wonderful. Would recommend for special occasions due to high bar billSpecial Features:
- The following 35 reviews are from the Snackbar reviews archive.
- Vbrooks342Dined on 5/2/2014My favorite restaurant in Oxfords the oysters were salty... Shrimp full of flavor. I never fail to visit when in OxfordSpecial Features:
- Double Decker WeekendDdfoodieDined on 4/26/2014Was looking forward to to a nice dinner. I had heard good things. The waiter I thought at first had a dry sense of humor but it just turns out he was just rude and not very good. Food took awhile to come out and was cold. Others came and went while we sat and waited with the same waiterSpecial Features:
- Great Oxford Dining ExperienceGreeneDined on 4/21/2014We eat at Snack Bar several times a year. We can always count on a great dining experience. The décor is wonderful, the service is prompt and the food is delicious. On this particular occasion, my wife and I both had raw oysters as appetizers; my wife had the salmon and I had the snapper. As always, everything was delicious. I had a bite of my wife's dessert, the bread pudding -- outstanding! We highly recommend Snack Bar! You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great placeRMShDined on 4/17/2014Food and drink are excellent. Great atmosphere and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High achieversSchlalickDined on 4/12/2014Adventurous and well executed ever changing menu. Well trained young staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine food in a fun atmosphereScmccormDined on 4/10/2014Once again we had a wonderful dining experience. Food and service are excellent. Bar menu is always interesting and creative.Special Features:
- Wonderful food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Totally enjoyed my dining experience! Had the Papperdelle, which was mouthwatering! Salad was light and flavorful. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was variableLuvgoodfoodDined on 4/4/20142 of our main course dishes were outstanding but other two were not up to quality of last visit when everything was spectacular. Soup crab@ winter squash was tasteless with no hint of crab. Steak frites & salmon were spectacular. Cipponio was ok but not deserving of a special status. Roasted chicken rated below Winn Dixie's roasted chicken. Speciality cocktails were average. Last time we went in fall everything was spectacular. Love atmosphere, service, ambience, & price. Maybe chose poorly. Was very crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodTupeloFoodieDined on 3/21/2014We had dinner here on a Friday night with 8 friends. The waitress was very kind and accommodating. Of the dishes sampled, these were my favorites: salmon, steak frites, raw oysters (4 different kinds the night we were there), hazelnut dessert, and the parmesan truffle frites (an absolute must). The energy in the restaurant is comfortable. You can have a good laugh with your group or have an intimate dinner with a loved one. I definitely recommend this restaurant and have already been back since!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly poor experienceJcsmonogramDined on 3/20/2014From the way everyone raved, we were expecting a great dining experience. The restaurant itself is very pretty and has a great, lively atmosphere, but our food was sub-par. My steak was supposed to be prepared medium and it was VERY rare, as in almost uncooked. I sent it back and it came back closer to well-done and tough. The fries that accompanied them were so salty (from garlic salt?) that they were inedible. My wife's peas were still crunchy, meaning they were either undercooked or had been stored too long. Since we weren't familiar with the wines, we asked for a good, oaky chardonnay and were brought a chard that was definitely unoaked and nearly flavorless. Our service was okay, but nothing special.Special Features:
- SnackbarAsitravelerDined on 3/18/2014The food was excellent, the menu was diverse and the service fast and friendly. A two thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Evening for 6 PeopleDeltaDinerDined on 3/7/2014We dined on a Friday evening. I made my reservation 2 days ahead of time, and Snack Bar called the day of to confirm. They gave us a perfectly designed corner table in the shape of a hexagon so that all 6 of us could easily hear each other and engage in a larger conversation despite the crowded tables around us. We felt like we were the only ones in the restaurant even though it was completely filled: impressive! We tried many different cocktails from the extensive cocktail menu and inhaled all of our food picks. Each of our meals cost between $40-50 including 2-3 drinks, appetizers, and entrees. It was the perfect evening with friends. Thank you, Snack Bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWPickyeater2Dined on 3/6/2014We had dinner at the Snackbar as a going away dinner. I had the duck and spaghetti squash casserole and it was amazing. Everything we had was excellent. If I had to say anything negative it would have to be the desserts. They were good just not great but being a want to be pastry chef I will admit I am very critical. Love the place and can't wait to go and visit Oxford again so I can come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Private Booth DiningOxpatchlocalsDined on 3/6/2014We love to go to Snackbar with friends and have a booth because we can really visit without lots of noise. Food is good and bar drinks brought to table are always predictably good.Special Features:
- Impressed our GroupctcarrawayDined on 3/5/2014We brought a group of mostly out-of-state visitors prior to a meeting the following day. Needless to say, you did not fail to impress! All of the dishes were divine - paticularly the Wednesday night special - the raw oysters were inhaled!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatkhc7Dined on 2/8/2014the food was wonderful, but the ladies bathroom was a wreckSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was outstanding.mississippifoodieDined on 2/3/2014The food was outstanding. This is a very unpretentious place with high-quality, innovative food.Special Features:
- Happy Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/3/2014Thanks for an oustanding evening. My daughter and 12 of her best friends had the opportunity to enjoy first-hand the great service, excellent menu, and the personalized attention of the Snack bar staff. This is my daughter's preferred restaurant in Oxford and we want to recomend to others for the next casual dinner or big celebration. Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cosy and Unique SpotskateradeDined on 2/3/2014Wonderfully creative menu with excellent service. Only complaint was the longer than expected time between courses but I imagine this isnt a problem when choosing only an entree. Liz was a wonderful server and we will surely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night in night out - Best in N MS!HardcoreTroubadorVIPDined on 1/17/2014We drive an hour routinely to visit this gem - our favorite in North Mississippi. Great vibe, great bar, great staff and unique offerings bring us back every time. Can't wait 'til my next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I rememberBettyVIPDined on 1/3/2014Overall, the food was good. The Cioippino was disappointing. Very little fish in it and the broth was watery. We love John Currence's restaurants. Would not recommend this dish . The Kale salad was pretty bland also. Not much flavor for n anchovy dressing We will dine there again, just be careful with what we order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trying to hard....luckymeVIPDined on 1/3/2014Big fans of John Currence, City Grocery, BB&B, etc. On a recent visit we started with a dozen oysters from raw bar, fresh and delicious. For charcuterie, the Pork Rillettes, a tasty "home-canned påté". The disappointing part were the entrees. Braised Pork Belly was tasty but mostly fat, expected a fat layer but there were only a few bites of the meat, a delicious $24 bowl of lima beans and collard greens with some pork seasoning. Daily special, cioppino an Italian-American fish stew (San Francisco) is a favorite dish and I've had versions from all over the country. Typically, this is a rich & hearty with tremendous depth of flavor. This version was thin flat & flavorless with the exception of the mildly warm pepper after taste. Did not eat.Special Features:
- All around DeliciousBobbyVIPDined on 12/28/2013The fresh seafood is always excellent. We had a selection of 1/2 doz oysters and some crab claws as an appetizer. Then the special corn chowder was an awesome cup of soup. Very fresh vegetables and a spicy creamy broth. The steak frites and truffle-Parmesan frites never disappoint. My girlfriend had a special seared pork tenderloin with a molasses glaze and puréed cauliflower. Both entrees were cooked to perfection. For dessert we shared the chocolate cobbler which sounds weird but very tasty but really rich. One of my favorite parts about Snackbar is the selection of classic cocktails and their own special cocktail concoctions. A great place for serious foodies. But you do have to like spicy foods as there tends to be a lot of heat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great eveningRobRobDined on 12/26/2013Snack Bar is a near-ideal combination of ambiance, energy and intimacy. Food choices were creative and combination of plate sizes and meat/fish/vegetable options means its not hard finding something to like that's not everyday fare. Very good selection of whiskey, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great breakfast!VralitigatorDined on 12/26/2013Our party of four enjoyed a late morning breakfast at BBB, with prompt and courteous service, plenty of refills on coffee, and gourmet-style dishes that represent a unique blend of French country cuisine with Cajun spice and Deep South grits, biscuits and homemade jelly.This gem is one of the many reasons Oxford has become such a magnet.Special Features: