Dallas, TX 75205Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 2145200900x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday- Saturday 7pm- 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Smyth
Smyth is a bar in Dallas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Smyth - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Smyth reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
late-night find (16)romantic (14)special occasion (12)neighborhood gem (8)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (5)fit for foodies (4)Show More
- Good concept, poor executionTy2dineVIPDined on 8/23/2014The place is setup like a revamped basement with no windows. The drinks are supposed to be custom based on a series of questions, but they don't listen to the answer. For example, I said I do not like gin... I can do any liquor but gin... They still put gin in my drink. When I said I don't like it, I received attitude to correct the drink. Also, for the price of the drink I would expect top grade alcohol. They use low grade alcohol.
- Speak easy style bar next to ESTOD3SoMoVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great place to meet before or after dinner!Rezervations are a must. Bespoke cocktails/drinks crafted without menu after a short discussion of what you enjoy/ are in the mood for. Fun conceptSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High expectations not metSirSDined on 8/15/2014I was really excited for this place and the overall concept is very cool, but our initial drink was done incorrectly (they made a spicy drink when I answered "no spicy" in my interview) and after that they just seemed to have a bad attitude. Almost seemed offended that I didn't like their creation! For a place that projects such a high level of service I would have expected them to be much more accommodating.Special Features:
- Favorite bar in DallasDFWFoodieDined on 8/15/2014This place is so great! Amazing drinks, amazing vibe, low key, quiet...you feel like you are in another time. This place is by far my favorite bar in Dallas.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smyth experienceJessVDined on 8/8/2014Great atmosphere with even better customized drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't get inRealtalkDined on 8/7/2014We were a little late. They told us to go next door to the establishment and they would come get us within 30 minutes. After an hour, they never showed up so we left. This is ridiculous, especially for a Tuesday with a reservation.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedCricciDined on 7/25/2014The 'interview' process to find out what you like was not conducted well...they didn't ask enough questions to find out what you like. I didn't like my first drink, but it took over an hour for the waiter to check and see how the drinks were. They comped the drink, but I was very surprised they waited over an hour to come by. We were sat in the most awkward area- felt like we were in a waiting room. My husband and I each had three drinks; they were all average. The description of the drinks made them sound amazing and they do put a lot of ingredients and flavors into the drinks, but it didn't translate.
- Best cocktails ever!DoniusHCranberryDined on 7/18/2014Robert made amazing cocktails. The staff was very knowledgable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- COOL Secret SpotJenNBrettDined on 7/11/2014This place is pretty COOL because there is no signage or advertisement. It is a genuine speakeasy. You do not order a specific drink rather you answer a series of questions that the bartender makes a custom drink for you based on. The only downside is that they are expensive. $14 for a small mixed drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night drinksZboikoDined on 6/14/2014Made reservations for a saturday night. Get there on time because they will cancel your reservation if you are late at all. The entire staff was extremely friendly, and the bartenders are amazing!!! They will ask you the elements of a drink that you want, and then create a masterpiece for you. Since drinks are individually created there will be somewhat of a wait to get your order, but its more than worth the wait. If you haven't been yet, it is a must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great drinksexplorerDined on 5/17/2014It is a bit hard to find if you haven't been there before, but it lends an air of exclusivity. We had no problem getting a seating time though, and there was no obnoxious door man to deal with. We promptly attended to and asked by our waiter what flavors we like. They made a terrific scotch drink for the wife and a great vodka/soda for myself. It is a small place, but very enjoyable. We had a great time. I only gave the food rating 3 stars because we didn't order any, and honestly I don't know if they have food on the menu, we were there for drinks. But I imagine if we did order something, it would be good, at the very least.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow and average at bestRudySTLVIPDined on 5/16/2014Nothing that special about the mixologist preparations - takes way too long for drinks and costs aren't transparent. Very poor service. If you have loads of time and are going for the atmosphere this place is ok, but otherwise save your time and money to enjoy drinks somewhere else.Special Features:
- JoJoVIPDined on 5/16/2014They do not serve food. I could not rate without including a food ratingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not my favoriteEthansmuDined on 5/2/2014The concept of this place is great. The drinks are surprisingly not anything special, they usually end up way too sweet or have some strange flavor. This was my second time there and it took FOREVER to get drinks both times. It wasn't just because they have to make each drink individually, the service was just slow. Both times the staff has been rude at some point which makes me dislike the place more. I won't be going back anytime soon.Special Features:
- The following 85 reviews are from the Smyth reviews archive.
- SpeakeasydbloDined on 4/26/2014Secret Speakeasy! Bar with 1960's atmosphere -- no food. Also, no menu; ask you questions and make you a custom drink. Drinks run around $14 each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow and Snobby ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/25/2014Upon arrival we were greeted fairly but the hostess' attitude was one of disdain, Unrightfully so. We were dressed well and had made reservations in advance. Once seated, we waited 15 minutes before approached by a bartender who we had to flag down. She asked for our 'flavors' but did not put much creativity into the drinks, that were average at best. The bar's exclusivity is it's mystique. They capitalize and succeed on having created a 'speakeasy', yet the service is snobby and slow. Very dissapointing. I had high hopes for Smyth and they were sadly not met.Special Features:
- could easily be my fav barNo32Dined on 4/23/2014this place could easily be my fav bar but without any class and quality drinks its not more than a pretentious bar. drinks were mediocre and below ...
- Smyths Bar was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/4/2014I was recommended by a friend to go online through Facebook and book a table at the Smyths Bar. It was a true gem in the back of a restaurant. Very good cocktail and excellent service. More people you definitively go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small plates, Oysters, DrinkspowerfilmVIPDined on 3/29/2014In soft opening phase. 12 small plates that each succeeded. Seafood, meats, cheeses, all for ten bucks a piece. Imported oysters for 2 bucks each. Good selection of wines by the glass, cocktails, drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overallJulieDined on 3/21/2014We loved the place! What a wonderful change from your normal go to bar. The concept was executed very well. They were even able to accommodate a larger party of 6. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ruined since the old team leftfiiveDined on 3/8/2014I used to love this place when it first opened. Since ~Nov 2013, all the award winning mixologists are gone, the service is gone and the new owners are trying to milk the place for everything, rushing people through, the bar is a mess and the drinks are terrible. The service is awful.
- Great place to get speakeasy drinksChrisWDined on 3/7/2014Good atmosphere, hidden well. Bartenders are knowledgable and make great drinks. Small room but I like that about the place. Don't serve food only a bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar Smyth exceed all of expectationSarahNL11Dined on 2/15/2014Bar Smyth exceed all of expectations for a speakeasy bar experience. The location and atmosphere set the mood from the get go and you can't help but go back in time. The bar is very nice and has a great set up. We were seated in comfortable chairs in the lounge area with a great view of the bar and the other patrons. The service was impeccable and was exactly the kind of cocktail "adventure" I had hoped for. Loved that were no menus and the bartenders concocted one of a kind drinks to fit your tastes. This really got my out of my comfort zone and I tried some fantastic drinks. I will definitely come again! Highly Recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Drinks, great serviceScottDined on 2/14/2014Roger, our personal bartender, not only treated us with kindness and respect but prepared the best cocktails we have ever had. He proves that creating drinks is an art. When we asked about his process he even took the time to give us a personal lesson on how to recreate some of his techniques at home. Great experience thanks to him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No CCJTJTDined on 2/13/2014When me and my date showed up, we were told the credit card machines had been down all day and that they could only accept cash. What chaps me about this is that I had called only an hour before hand to confirm my reservation and there was no mention of this problem. Thanks for the heads up.
- The Purpose of a ReservationThirstyDined on 2/11/2014As they said in a Seinfeld episode, the most important part of a reservation is for the establishment to honor it (or words to that effect). I had an out of town guest and wanted to take him to the speakeasy. Made the reservation on Open Table for a Tuesday night. Showed up and rang the buzzer. Nothing. Called - no answer. Rechecked the reservation - still showed as good. Finally called the sister bar (Social Cedars) and they told me that The Establishment / Bar Smyth was not open on Tuesday. Be good if someone told Open Table. Oh well, I will try again - but I might have a drink first just to keep calm if it all goes bad again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemnitoDined on 1/3/2014This bar is so unique, from making reservations under a secret bar name to the unique entrance. The bar and mixologists kept us guessing. We just told the mixologist what type of liquor and he came back with a magic concotion. He added in a few personal stories, but he was never overbearing or interrupted out convo. Definately coming back! =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but worth itZeldarDined on 12/28/2013Eight drinks cost us around $140, including tip, but that's worth it for a special occasion. Incredible ambiance, great craft cocktails, and usually the best service in town. I've been here four times and usually the wait staff/bartenders are highly personable, informative, and fun, perfect fits for this type of venue. The decor feels like a blend of 20's speakeasy and 70's disco, which sounds awful but actually is quite classy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the same since the walkoutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/26/2013Great music, great ambiance. However, we miss the old mixologists!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks, great serviceTriGuyVIPDined on 11/16/2013This was our first experience at Smyth. The overall experience was highly enjoyable. We really had no idea what to expect from a reservations-only cocktail lounge, although we had high expectations based on our experience at The Cedar's Social, which is also owned and operated by Michael Martensen. We were not disappointed. Our bartenders for the evening were polite, friendly and extremely knowledgeable about their craft, taking the time to explain each drink that we enjoyed. Between us, we had 6 drinks that met our expectations for the evening. To finish the evening, we were pleasantly surprised that the drinks were very moderately priced and lower than what we expected based on other reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome PlaceEduardoVIPDined on 11/16/2013We went there not know what to expect and loved it. They customize your drinks for you....how fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible as always...NeilAdamMcGinnisVIPDined on 11/16/2013This is the best bar in Dallas. I have already reviewed it once and 5 stars still stands. Takes a while to get your drink but oh so worth it. Very friendly staff. Always a great time and I have already made reservations for next weekend. They don't serve food though FYI.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chill and funJohnDined on 11/15/2013Good time for small groups. Nice and chill. They make amazing drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Drink Experience in DallasesquipedalianDined on 11/12/2013Every time I come to Smyth, I am astounded at how amazing the drinks turn out. Definitely come here with an open mind and be ready to explore some drinks you've never heard of before. They don't serve food, but that didn't bother me at all because it just shows how much the bartenders know what they're doing. I'll be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good drinks. That's about it.DiningDallas1234Dined on 11/9/2013Just wish 1) it wasn't as uppity and 2) the staff was more helpful/friendly, rather than cold/ungracious. Drink prices aren't explained, so be aware if you're on a budget. You'll feel uncomfortable asking about prices.Special Features:
- BEST BAR IN DFW without questionNeilAdamMcGinnisVIPDined on 11/9/2013Try the "Romeo & Juliette" which is a cucumber drink that is basically as good as cocktails get. The place has subdued lighting and comfortable chairs, extremely intimate setting that I could see relaxing in for hours. They tend to leave you in peace so get a drink whenever they come around because you will be ready for it. They use fresh juices is many of their cocktails and it shows. Also We came with baby (very classy) but they were very cool about it and it's actually a great comfortable setting for a baby as long as the babies are quiet, if they are loud then it may be a problem. The next day I made a reservation for this next Saturday and I believe this will be a ritual for me from now on.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been greatBremDined on 11/8/2013Great drinks, outstanding concept. Our reservation was completely mismanaged. The "rules" state a fixed time for each table. There was a big group that long overstayed their reservation and the management didn't do anything about it. We waited an hour to then be allowed to stand at the bar to order drinks which didn't arrive for 40 minutes. We never got our table. Very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocktails...the bestJustinVIPDined on 11/8/2013The bartenders put as much time in to each cocktail as a chef into a great dish. Hands down the best cocktails in Dallas. They do not have food. But a 5 for the herbs and fruit for cocktail garnish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rip off and bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/3/2013Smyth is the epitome of all bad things in Dallas. I paid $30 for a glass of wine and a bottled beer while i waited for a table. I would not be upset if i knew I was going to pay this but they simply offered me a glass of wine or beer while waiting for my table as if it was complimentary. Never did they tell me price OR offer me a menu. They just assume everyone wants to throw away money at drinks that require NO service or skill (which is the whole reason for going there). Moreover, when i asked the waiter if he knew anything about this wine and why it was expensive he had NO response. Needless to say I will not go back to this place nor recommend anyone to. Dallas is not a "Reservation Only Bar"...go back to New York.
- Drinks= great. Service= meh.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/30/2013Great concept! We enjoyed our drinks. Lots of waiting between drinks and the attention to detail in terms of the experience was gone after the first round. They ask for descriptions from each person what they like and they will create something special. At first they were telling us each what was in our drinks then the second round the bartender, Omar, told all of our group except one. Said he didn't make it so he doesn't know what's in it and walked away. We finally asked someone else to find out what it was which was the same drink as before... and with that the experience was lost. The fourth round no one was given a description. Started fun and friendly then quickly went to long waits and an uncaring staff.