Dallas, TX 75205Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 2145200900x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday- Saturday 7pm- 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Smyth
Smyth is a bar in Dallas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Smyth - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Smyth reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
late-night find (13)romantic (9)special occasion (9)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (7)good for groups (5)fit for foodies (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Intimate and quietTexasGirlDined on 10/11/2014As always, the drinks at Smyth were fantastic, their crew does a wonderful job of listening to the patrons and providing new, interesting drinks they can't get anywhere else. We had dinner before, and ended up not leaving on time, and when I called to push the reservation back, the team was very obliging. We arrived on time for the second reservation and were seated quickly and served water, but the first order of drinks wasn't ordered until 45 minutes in. I believe there was a big group in the other room, and only two people manning the bar for that time, and I don't know if they're sharing people with the restaurant next door or something, but they should just be very cognizant of the wait time between arriving and first drink orders.Special Features:
- Not as good as beforefoodiefunDined on 9/27/2014I've been here before and had a fabulous time! However, this time around we were stuffed in the back corner of some sitting room (The main room had like 7 empty tables!) and actually ignored until we waived down someone else's waiter for our check. One person had asked for a simple gin and tonic and got the fruitiest, weirdest drink of all time. While the ambiance was nice, it was just not up to par with how they usually are.Special Features:
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Smyth is located inside the Establishment (EST). While the atmosphere is a little different inside Smyth, you can get better service for the same experience by staying in the Establishment. The service was pretty mediocre and we were left feeling like we were an inconvenience to the bartenders, despite us being one of only a few tables on a Saturday night.
- Great cocktails!oldandwiseDined on 9/20/2014I love the concept of having a mixologist preparing delicious drinks based on your preferences. Great service, very private and romantic setup. I definitely will go again. Let me clarify that this website forces me to rate food and this is a bar only. I gave one star just to be able to complete the review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place but Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014The place is great and a lot of fun, but the service was really slow. It took them a while for them to get our checks. They might have been short staffed, but it was a Friday night. It was a fun place with custom drinks and the bartenders doing their thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What are these guys smoking???OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/31/2014We went to Smyth with high hopes of a sexy speakeasy ending to our evening... sounded like a cool concept ... we left feeling thirsty and violated ....meaning that they couldn't serve us what we wanted ... they thought they knew our palate better than us! They will not serve you your drink of choice. ... they want to spin it to a hand crafter 30 minute ordeal of something they think your would like. If you like your favorite drink... stay away!Special Features:
- Good concept, poor executionTy2dineVIPDined on 8/23/2014The place is setup like a revamped basement with no windows. The drinks are supposed to be custom based on a series of questions, but they don't listen to the answer. For example, I said I do not like gin... I can do any liquor but gin... They still put gin in my drink. When I said I don't like it, I received attitude to correct the drink. Also, for the price of the drink I would expect top grade alcohol. They use low grade alcohol.
- Speak easy style bar next to ESTOD3SoMoVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great place to meet before or after dinner!Rezervations are a must. Bespoke cocktails/drinks crafted without menu after a short discussion of what you enjoy/ are in the mood for. Fun conceptSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High expectations not metSirSDined on 8/15/2014I was really excited for this place and the overall concept is very cool, but our initial drink was done incorrectly (they made a spicy drink when I answered "no spicy" in my interview) and after that they just seemed to have a bad attitude. Almost seemed offended that I didn't like their creation! For a place that projects such a high level of service I would have expected them to be much more accommodating.Special Features:
- Favorite bar in DallasDFWFoodieDined on 8/15/2014This place is so great! Amazing drinks, amazing vibe, low key, quiet...you feel like you are in another time. This place is by far my favorite bar in Dallas.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smyth experienceJessVDined on 8/8/2014Great atmosphere with even better customized drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't get inRealtalkDined on 8/7/2014We were a little late. They told us to go next door to the establishment and they would come get us within 30 minutes. After an hour, they never showed up so we left. This is ridiculous, especially for a Tuesday with a reservation.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedCricciDined on 7/25/2014The 'interview' process to find out what you like was not conducted well...they didn't ask enough questions to find out what you like. I didn't like my first drink, but it took over an hour for the waiter to check and see how the drinks were. They comped the drink, but I was very surprised they waited over an hour to come by. We were sat in the most awkward area- felt like we were in a waiting room. My husband and I each had three drinks; they were all average. The description of the drinks made them sound amazing and they do put a lot of ingredients and flavors into the drinks, but it didn't translate.
- Best cocktails ever!DoniusHCranberryDined on 7/18/2014Robert made amazing cocktails. The staff was very knowledgable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- COOL Secret SpotJenNBrettDined on 7/11/2014This place is pretty COOL because there is no signage or advertisement. It is a genuine speakeasy. You do not order a specific drink rather you answer a series of questions that the bartender makes a custom drink for you based on. The only downside is that they are expensive. $14 for a small mixed drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 90 reviews are from the Smyth reviews archive.
- Saturday night drinksZboikoDined on 6/14/2014Made reservations for a saturday night. Get there on time because they will cancel your reservation if you are late at all. The entire staff was extremely friendly, and the bartenders are amazing!!! They will ask you the elements of a drink that you want, and then create a masterpiece for you. Since drinks are individually created there will be somewhat of a wait to get your order, but its more than worth the wait. If you haven't been yet, it is a must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great drinksexplorerDined on 5/17/2014It is a bit hard to find if you haven't been there before, but it lends an air of exclusivity. We had no problem getting a seating time though, and there was no obnoxious door man to deal with. We promptly attended to and asked by our waiter what flavors we like. They made a terrific scotch drink for the wife and a great vodka/soda for myself. It is a small place, but very enjoyable. We had a great time. I only gave the food rating 3 stars because we didn't order any, and honestly I don't know if they have food on the menu, we were there for drinks. But I imagine if we did order something, it would be good, at the very least.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow and average at bestRudySTLVIPDined on 5/16/2014Nothing that special about the mixologist preparations - takes way too long for drinks and costs aren't transparent. Very poor service. If you have loads of time and are going for the atmosphere this place is ok, but otherwise save your time and money to enjoy drinks somewhere else.Special Features:
- JoJoVIPDined on 5/16/2014They do not serve food. I could not rate without including a food ratingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not my favoriteEthansmuDined on 5/2/2014The concept of this place is great. The drinks are surprisingly not anything special, they usually end up way too sweet or have some strange flavor. This was my second time there and it took FOREVER to get drinks both times. It wasn't just because they have to make each drink individually, the service was just slow. Both times the staff has been rude at some point which makes me dislike the place more. I won't be going back anytime soon.Special Features:
- SpeakeasydbloDined on 4/26/2014Secret Speakeasy! Bar with 1960's atmosphere -- no food. Also, no menu; ask you questions and make you a custom drink. Drinks run around $14 each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow and Snobby ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/25/2014Upon arrival we were greeted fairly but the hostess' attitude was one of disdain, Unrightfully so. We were dressed well and had made reservations in advance. Once seated, we waited 15 minutes before approached by a bartender who we had to flag down. She asked for our 'flavors' but did not put much creativity into the drinks, that were average at best. The bar's exclusivity is it's mystique. They capitalize and succeed on having created a 'speakeasy', yet the service is snobby and slow. Very dissapointing. I had high hopes for Smyth and they were sadly not met.Special Features:
- could easily be my fav barNo32Dined on 4/23/2014this place could easily be my fav bar but without any class and quality drinks its not more than a pretentious bar. drinks were mediocre and below ...
- Smyths Bar was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/4/2014I was recommended by a friend to go online through Facebook and book a table at the Smyths Bar. It was a true gem in the back of a restaurant. Very good cocktail and excellent service. More people you definitively go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small plates, Oysters, DrinkspowerfilmVIPDined on 3/29/2014In soft opening phase. 12 small plates that each succeeded. Seafood, meats, cheeses, all for ten bucks a piece. Imported oysters for 2 bucks each. Good selection of wines by the glass, cocktails, drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overallJulieDined on 3/21/2014We loved the place! What a wonderful change from your normal go to bar. The concept was executed very well. They were even able to accommodate a larger party of 6. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ruined since the old team leftfiiveDined on 3/8/2014I used to love this place when it first opened. Since ~Nov 2013, all the award winning mixologists are gone, the service is gone and the new owners are trying to milk the place for everything, rushing people through, the bar is a mess and the drinks are terrible. The service is awful.
- Great place to get speakeasy drinksChrisWDined on 3/7/2014Good atmosphere, hidden well. Bartenders are knowledgable and make great drinks. Small room but I like that about the place. Don't serve food only a bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar Smyth exceed all of expectationSarahNL11Dined on 2/15/2014Bar Smyth exceed all of expectations for a speakeasy bar experience. The location and atmosphere set the mood from the get go and you can't help but go back in time. The bar is very nice and has a great set up. We were seated in comfortable chairs in the lounge area with a great view of the bar and the other patrons. The service was impeccable and was exactly the kind of cocktail "adventure" I had hoped for. Loved that were no menus and the bartenders concocted one of a kind drinks to fit your tastes. This really got my out of my comfort zone and I tried some fantastic drinks. I will definitely come again! Highly Recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Drinks, great serviceScottDined on 2/14/2014Roger, our personal bartender, not only treated us with kindness and respect but prepared the best cocktails we have ever had. He proves that creating drinks is an art. When we asked about his process he even took the time to give us a personal lesson on how to recreate some of his techniques at home. Great experience thanks to him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No CCJTJTDined on 2/13/2014When me and my date showed up, we were told the credit card machines had been down all day and that they could only accept cash. What chaps me about this is that I had called only an hour before hand to confirm my reservation and there was no mention of this problem. Thanks for the heads up.
- The Purpose of a ReservationThirstyDined on 2/11/2014As they said in a Seinfeld episode, the most important part of a reservation is for the establishment to honor it (or words to that effect). I had an out of town guest and wanted to take him to the speakeasy. Made the reservation on Open Table for a Tuesday night. Showed up and rang the buzzer. Nothing. Called - no answer. Rechecked the reservation - still showed as good. Finally called the sister bar (Social Cedars) and they told me that The Establishment / Bar Smyth was not open on Tuesday. Be good if someone told Open Table. Oh well, I will try again - but I might have a drink first just to keep calm if it all goes bad again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemnitoDined on 1/3/2014This bar is so unique, from making reservations under a secret bar name to the unique entrance. The bar and mixologists kept us guessing. We just told the mixologist what type of liquor and he came back with a magic concotion. He added in a few personal stories, but he was never overbearing or interrupted out convo. Definately coming back! =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but worth itZeldarDined on 12/28/2013Eight drinks cost us around $140, including tip, but that's worth it for a special occasion. Incredible ambiance, great craft cocktails, and usually the best service in town. I've been here four times and usually the wait staff/bartenders are highly personable, informative, and fun, perfect fits for this type of venue. The decor feels like a blend of 20's speakeasy and 70's disco, which sounds awful but actually is quite classy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the same since the walkoutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/26/2013Great music, great ambiance. However, we miss the old mixologists!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks, great serviceTriGuyVIPDined on 11/16/2013This was our first experience at Smyth. The overall experience was highly enjoyable. We really had no idea what to expect from a reservations-only cocktail lounge, although we had high expectations based on our experience at The Cedar's Social, which is also owned and operated by Michael Martensen. We were not disappointed. Our bartenders for the evening were polite, friendly and extremely knowledgeable about their craft, taking the time to explain each drink that we enjoyed. Between us, we had 6 drinks that met our expectations for the evening. To finish the evening, we were pleasantly surprised that the drinks were very moderately priced and lower than what we expected based on other reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome PlaceEduardoVIPDined on 11/16/2013We went there not know what to expect and loved it. They customize your drinks for you....how fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible as always...NeilAdamMcGinnisVIPDined on 11/16/2013This is the best bar in Dallas. I have already reviewed it once and 5 stars still stands. Takes a while to get your drink but oh so worth it. Very friendly staff. Always a great time and I have already made reservations for next weekend. They don't serve food though FYI.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chill and funJohnDined on 11/15/2013Good time for small groups. Nice and chill. They make amazing drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Drink Experience in DallasesquipedalianDined on 11/12/2013Every time I come to Smyth, I am astounded at how amazing the drinks turn out. Definitely come here with an open mind and be ready to explore some drinks you've never heard of before. They don't serve food, but that didn't bother me at all because it just shows how much the bartenders know what they're doing. I'll be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.