Dallas, TX 75205Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 2145200900x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday- Saturday 7pm- 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Smyth
Smyth is a bar in Dallas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Smyth - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Smyth reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
late-night find (15)romantic (11)special occasion (10)neighborhood gem (8)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (5)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (5)Show More
- BEST BAR IN DFW without questionNeilAdamMcGinnisVIPDined on 11/9/2013Try the "Romeo & Juliette" which is a cucumber drink that is basically as good as cocktails get. The place has subdued lighting and comfortable chairs, extremely intimate setting that I could see relaxing in for hours. They tend to leave you in peace so get a drink whenever they come around because you will be ready for it. They use fresh juices is many of their cocktails and it shows. Also We came with baby (very classy) but they were very cool about it and it's actually a great comfortable setting for a baby as long as the babies are quiet, if they are loud then it may be a problem. The next day I made a reservation for this next Saturday and I believe this will be a ritual for me from now on.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been greatBremDined on 11/8/2013Great drinks, outstanding concept. Our reservation was completely mismanaged. The "rules" state a fixed time for each table. There was a big group that long overstayed their reservation and the management didn't do anything about it. We waited an hour to then be allowed to stand at the bar to order drinks which didn't arrive for 40 minutes. We never got our table. Very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocktails...the bestJustinVIPDined on 11/8/2013The bartenders put as much time in to each cocktail as a chef into a great dish. Hands down the best cocktails in Dallas. They do not have food. But a 5 for the herbs and fruit for cocktail garnish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rip off and bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2013Smyth is the epitome of all bad things in Dallas. I paid $30 for a glass of wine and a bottled beer while i waited for a table. I would not be upset if i knew I was going to pay this but they simply offered me a glass of wine or beer while waiting for my table as if it was complimentary. Never did they tell me price OR offer me a menu. They just assume everyone wants to throw away money at drinks that require NO service or skill (which is the whole reason for going there). Moreover, when i asked the waiter if he knew anything about this wine and why it was expensive he had NO response. Needless to say I will not go back to this place nor recommend anyone to. Dallas is not a "Reservation Only Bar"...go back to New York.
- Drinks= great. Service= meh.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/30/2013Great concept! We enjoyed our drinks. Lots of waiting between drinks and the attention to detail in terms of the experience was gone after the first round. They ask for descriptions from each person what they like and they will create something special. At first they were telling us each what was in our drinks then the second round the bartender, Omar, told all of our group except one. Said he didn't make it so he doesn't know what's in it and walked away. We finally asked someone else to find out what it was which was the same drink as before... and with that the experience was lost. The fourth round no one was given a description. Started fun and friendly then quickly went to long waits and an uncaring staff.
- Great Service... Great Drinks...FitCutieDined on 10/26/2013Love this place!!! I took a group of friends for after dinner to celebrate my husbands birthday. They were very accommodating from the moment we walked in. Even though we had more people show up then the reservation was for... When it came available, they moved us to a bigger space. I love the fact they custom make drinks based on your personality. And you can watch the guys behind the bar mixing and twisting and putting a lot of care into each individual drink. The only downside was the music... It was so low or not on at all, so the energy was a little bland... A little house or hip hop in the background, just something to nod your head to, would have set this place off...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Dallas By FarLoboDined on 10/26/2013Chances are you've worn out the Uptown scene and you're not the biggest fan of Deep Ellum. Take a break. Enjoy the best drinks around, customized exactly to your taste. The combination of being reservation only the speak easy vibe adds to the exclusive ambience in a dimly-lit, retro lounge with the most beautiful bar I've ever seen. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Latest Experience: FAILJustinVIPDined on 10/25/2013On October 25, 2013, this place would have been awesome. However, as of January 31, this place is not awesome. Made an opentable reservation for 6:00 pm. According to this site and the bar's website, they open at 5:30. Reservation confirmed on website. However, we got there, thinking it would be the same experience as before and radio silence. Nobody would answer the door or phone. Finally after calling the main number from my phone the person just yelled that they were still opened. When I asked about the 6:00 reservation, they hung up on me. so much for this place.
- Outstanding drink experience!WhereRweEatingDined on 10/24/2013This really is a drink experience. The bartenders are artists creating a masterpiece for your tastebuds. The drinks are pricey so expect to spend at least $14 a drink but the quality is top notch and the service is excellent. I put a note in our reservation that we were celebrating my fiancé's promotion and the first thing the host, Will, said when we came in was congratulations. It was a personal and memorable touch to the overall evening. I definitely recommend The Establishment for a special occasion or to take your out of town guests to prove that Dallas does have neat hidden gems - untouched by the snooty Dallas feel that so many other places are cursed with in this town. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cant Wait to go Back!SidecarDined on 10/19/2013We went for the first time after dinner on a Saturday night. I didnt know what to expect, and I already knew they didn't serve food. This place is awesome. Probably some of the best cocktails I have ever had in my life. It was hard to find the place as there is no sign, and you have to be buzzed in. Once we entered, there was a table with our name on it. We felt pretty important. Love the ambience and the place just seems like a spot for the trendy. The only thing that I didnt like was how slow service is. We were there for 1 and 1/2 hour and only had 2 drinks. I guess you cant rush perfection. The drinks were so good, you just want more! We will be back with more friends sooner than later!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting & FunGHawDined on 10/16/2013Enjoyed the custom cocktails. Service was good even tho concept is a bit gimmicky. Drinks were great. Atmosphere is good. There's no food but Open Table requires a food rating...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the waitAnonVIPDined on 10/11/2013We had to wait 30 min for our first drink and 45 min for our second. While they were good they aren't with the wait. I have been here twice. Same experience both times. Waiters are pretentious which doesn't help.
- Best Cocktail BarTheDrinkerDined on 10/10/2013Custom, hand-crafted cocktails that are second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar Only - No FoodTangoDined on 10/9/2013This place is awesome. Best craft cocktails in Dallas. Best bartenders in Dallas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectnewhereDined on 9/28/2013It was perfect as usual. Great ambiance, great service. They go out of their way to make sure you are completely happy with your drink. We have been there several times and the whole experience just keeps getting better.Special Features:
- Love this place!sryanDined on 9/27/2013A friend of mine recommended this place and I am so glad she did. My husband and I went after our anniversary dinner and we had so much fun! The experience was wonderful and exciting. It's a fun, energetic atmosphere, but you also have a sense of privacy and lounge seating. We will definitely be back just the two of us and also with a group of friends. We loved the exclusivity of this bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mixologists!!!dreaDined on 9/21/2013This place isn't your typical bar scene, it is much more relaxed and quaint. Go in with an open mind about the type of drink you want to order, don't order a beer or wine! I asked Omar our mixologists to make me something like my favorite dessert, Tiramisu, and I had the best drink I've ever tasted in my life! Great place for a girls night out, or even a date! Awesome location for pre-drinks before a night out! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smyth's Bar does not offerACupVIPDined on 9/20/2013Smyth's Bar does not offer food ..... can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place. lives up to the hypeMarklockVIPDined on 9/18/2013This is a really unique place. My wife and I went, and wish we had brought friends, but enjoyed the quiet romantic space to talk. Be sure to have a reservation, and remember you won't really see any signage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2013Omar et al are fantastic bartenders. Their dedication to the craft of mixology is unparalleled in Dallas, in my experience. This is by far my favorite bar in Dallas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best cocktails in Dallas!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2013I love the ambiance here and Josh is a great bartender! He made our anniversary a memorable experience by selecting cocktails that my partner and I both loved. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this placeilovefoodDined on 9/10/2013I heard about this place from a friend and decided to go ahead and make a reservation. My boyfriend was visiting from out of town, and I thought it would be a fun place to take him. I had no idea what to expect. We showed up and buzzed in and were immediately greeted by an extremely friendly man who showed us our seats. We at in a u-shaped booth facing the bar, which was incredible. The bartenders were so nice and everything we drank was absolutely delicious and inventive. It was an overall fabulous experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool Kids ClubalanmccoyDined on 9/10/2013Getting into the bar makes you feel like you've been initiated in a secret society. The staff was incredibly knowledgeable and patient with helping you decide on a drink. Super cool vibe. Good music, but not too loud. Very relaxing. Oh, and the drinks were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MurphyAndCoVIPDined on 9/7/2013We were still talking about this place days afterwards. Maté our mixologist served us 3 rounds at by request very different styles of cocktails and we were not disappointed. If you enjoy your cocktails and are prepared to have something that is not menu based then this is your place for sure. The atmosphere is great and they certainly make you feel special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed EmotionsBlondieDined on 8/30/2013It seems like they have an excellent concept that could use a little perfection. Obviously everyone has a different experience based on the mixologist. I feel like ours was either having an off night or is bored by those who are not "cocktail experts". It seems like a mixologist who could be defined as an artist, would embrace those who are not completely versed in every detail that creates the perfect cocktail and use it as a educational experience. Instead, we felt like he was bored by our lack of knowledge. Our first mixologist at the bar while we waited for our table was great. However, that feeling ended once we were seated. He came off as pretentious and bored by us. I say it's worth checking out, but be prepared to know your stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best cocktails. No pressure.JustinVIPDined on 8/29/2013Best cocktails. No pressure. Must have reservation. No food (but open table requires a food review. 0 stars because no food but 5 star for the piece of fruit in the drink?)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the Cocktail AdventuousNolaeatsVIPDined on 8/29/2013If your a Bud Light, rum and Coke, vodka and 7 type, don't bother. But if you was to explore the vast universe that is the "cocktail", this is a good place to be. In a hurry? Stay away. Even on a slow Thursday night, service was slow. Craft cocktails take time and the bartenders will lovingly work their magic for you but that takes time. You will not be rushed but neither will they. Feel secure, you probably will not be raided in this throwback Speakeasy. Note: No food is served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First experience, major success!ceuartDined on 8/28/2013I hadn't heard of this place until recently, but after hearing the concept, I checked OpenTable for the next available reservation. To my surprise, we had to wait like 3 weeks to go at a time that fit our schedule. The day finally arrived and I'd say the consensus was unanimous, we loved it! The thrill of pressing the intercom to get "buzzed" in started us off on a high! Everything from the decor, to the friendly greeter, to the presentation of our made to order cocktails was on point! The mixologist, if you may, took our typical drink of choice and carefully concocted one of the best beverages I'd ever had. I give this place 5 stars and will definitely be visiting again very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimekerattDined on 8/27/2013Had a great time as always! Thanks everyone for a wonderful evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent drinks. A tad pretentiousTiffanyHVIPDined on 8/17/2013I took friends from out of town to Smyth. I had been twice before. We had a reservation for 9:30p and asked to come in at 9p. We were turned away and told to come back at 9:30p. This was somewhat annoying, but I guess they try to keep the standing crowd at a minimum. The whole "must use the buzzer and adhere strictly to the reservation" schtick comes off a bit pretentious at times. The drinks are excellent though, so that mostly makes up for the snootiness. Our first bartender was far too pushy and sniped at my friend. Our second bartender (Omar) was a delight. He was easy-going but efficiently guided us through the ordering process. I'd suggest they ask when ordering if you have any allergies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/13/2013Josh and Omar are outdoing themselves each and every night with every single cocktail. Go-go now-but not all the time or I can't go. Who knew a mescal cocktail could be so good? It is good to learn something everyday. Can't wait to see what I love next!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smyth is a great club!KgodloveVIPDined on 8/10/2013Had a great time at Smyth. Reservations a must and be prepared! The bartenders are true mixologist! Place has a great vibe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great idea poor executionryanDined on 7/26/2013the idea and ambiance of the smyth bar was of an exclusive speak easy. However waiting an hour for one cocktail ruin the effect.Special Features:
- Worth a lookOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2013Unique drinks...check Cool ambiance...check Friendly, attentive, knowledgable staff...check Unique for Dallas...check I did not have any food at Smyth. Don't believe there is a menu. Gave 5 stars, anyway, rather than none for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came here with a girlfriendOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/26/2013Came here with a girlfriend and we really enjoyed ourselves. We both had 2 drinks and our bartender/mixologist did an outstanding job of matching our tastes. It was also interesting to watch the mixologists work their magic at the bar. I liked that we had a table "reserved" just for us.... My name was on a placecard! The music wasn't too loud and though more patrons started to show the noise level didn't seem to increase too much. It does take some time for the drinks to be made but honestly I wasn't timing it and I didn't feel like we were waiting on unreasonable amount of time. I will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor establishmentChillBillDined on 6/29/2013Having been to several speakeasy's in New York and Denver we were GREATLY disappointed. Loud dance music played as we were sat in the corner of a room full of bridal party guests (we were not with the bridal party.....) After waiting several minutes to be served and having no one arrive we left. We will not be back and will not be recommending this place to our friends. We had really been looking forward to trying this place out...:( Bummer..
- 20 Minutes for a drinkOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/28/2013Had to ring the bell 3 times just to get in, should have been the first warning. Arrived bar was hot. Temp was, the a/c had issues. Ordered first round. 15 minutes later the first round arrives, So we ordered our second round. While drinking our first round we stand up to see if there is an area feeling cooler. Got told that this bar is a sit down bar and don't stand around. Finally 25 ,minutes later seco d round arrives. Order 3 round, after 30 minutes no drinks we ask for bill instead of waiting. We get bill with drinks we haven't got on them.! As we are arguing with manager about bill, server walks up with drinks.
- Overall GreatSatisfiedDinerDined on 6/26/2013Note: This review is technically for Bay Smyth, the accompanying bar to The Establishment. I enjoyed the personalized service shown by the bar tenders. They questioned both of us on our palates then took things from there. The drinks they came up with were great, but expensive at $15 each not that I expected anything different; one comes here for the experience, not merely the drinks, and that's what you are paying for. The atmosphere and ambiance was also very pleasing. Low lighting with the bar slightly brighter made for delightful views. My only complaint was that it took maybe 20-30 minutes for the bar tender to get to us initially, and the bar was only half full. An extra serving of the appetizer would have been appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and creative!kbarDined on 6/14/2013Went to the establishment for the first time and loved it! The service was very attentive, with both the host and the bartenders circling around frequently to ask if we needed anything. Great decor and not too dark, and the carpets definitely help to quiet down the noise level. The drinks were fantastic (that's what my "food" rating is for- no food yet) and always something different. Great place for a date or for a quiet get together with friends, will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2013For a place attempting to be different and exclusive, it wasn't especially impressive. The cocktails were good, but nothing memorable. The ambience is kind of neat, though the lighting is almost nonexistent. The wait staff/mixologists were awkward and sounded like they were struggling to remember what they put into the drinks they made for us. Also, it was a good thing we knew what to expect, because I was surprised that no one explained to us how the orders worked - you tell them what you like and they create a custom cocktail for you. The mixologist just walked up and said ok what do you want? Bottom line: There are better places to go! (Note: we didn't order food but OpenTable requires a food rating with your review.)