500 West Florida Street
Milwaukee, WI 53204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.smythrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (414) 831-4615
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Dinner: Monday -Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-10:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bradford Shovlin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Smyth is available for private functions for any time of the day excluding Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Friday and Saturday nights. Please contact Krista Sobieski for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Krista Sobieski email@example.com 4148314613x
A word from Smyth
Smyth is inspired by the days gone by term for blacksmithing. We honor the blacksmith and his craft by creating cuisine that reflects the handcrafted, soulful trade of transforming raw materials into works of art. We draw seasonally from the bounty that Wisconsin and the Midwest have to offer. Smyth is an intelligent balance between the playful and the traditional. Enjoy soups, salads, appetizers and entrees as well as plates meant for sharing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Smyth - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Smyth reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)special occasion (45)good for groups (33)romantic (26)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (18)great for brunch (16)notable wine list (16)neighborhood gem (15)great for outdoor dining (10)late-night find (8)great for lunch (7)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- DonaVIPDined on 11/23/2014Food was very good, although the desserts were weak...only desserts were donut holes. And the only other thought was that the carving station was understaffed....even though there were two chef's on "duty", seemed like one of them was always off doing something else.
- Worked well for our groupNovemberPartyof11Dined on 11/19/2014Making reservation was easy. Accomodated our group of 11 well. Food was well prepared. Staff/service was outstanding. Drinks never went empty, food came out promptly, requests were met with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best brunch in Milwaukee!ReddynVIPDined on 11/2/2014This is by far my favorite brunch spot in Milwaukee! It never fails to satisfy and impress!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and seasonal menu.MangiaTuttoDined on 11/1/2014My wife and I dined here with my parents after visiting the nearby Harley-Davidson Museum. The menu includes seasonal, locally sourced ingredients. The dishes are gourmet and healthy. It's definitely more contemporary, farm-fresh type of food, different than the standard fish fry fare that you might expect in Wisconsin. My mother said that she would return, so that's a testament to the food quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014We are new to the Milwaukee area and have wanted to try this restaraunt for a while. What a fun, quiet, relaxing spot. Food was delicious and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014Our party of 6 had reservations for 730pm. The table was available on time and service was excellent. All the food we ordered was excellent. We were rather disappointed, however, when the Yukon potato side dish was no longer available. 4/6 of us had requested it with our meals only to be told they were out. Out of potatoes, in Wisconsin, at 7:30p when you are open until 10:00p? A minor thing overall but it was a bit frustrating. Again, everything we are was excellent to include brunch on Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful and memorable!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We celebrated our twenty years anniversary at the iron horse hotel. We reserved the alcove room and we were upgraded to the sixth floor. Nicest hotel we have ever been to! Enjoyed the bar, Katie was fabulous, enjoyed dinner and brunch the next morning! Customer service was great from beginning to end. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!JetskiDined on 10/25/2014We were there for Hubby's birthday and Smyth did not disappoint. Creative, delicious menu. We especially liked the pea soup and the butcher meats. Thank you, and a shout out to Jennifer.Special Features:
- TrendyReservaDined on 10/24/2014This is a trendy spot that caters to a foodie crowd. The food is flavorful but the portions are small. If you order a "medium" plate make sure you get a salad so you don't leave hungry. Also the surfaces are all hard and thus it is pretty noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but expensiveEliza1180Dined on 10/24/2014Had a fun evening out at Smyth with friends. The atmosphere was lively, but it felt like the real hot spot was at the bar on the opposite end of the hotel. The bar in the restaurant was more subdued, although we noted there was a wait for tables at the restaurant. We ordered 4 of the small plate appetizers to share. The mushroom fricasse was outstanding, but the others weren't memorable. My husband and I had the duck entree. It was tasty but we both thought the skin could have been crisper and the fat could have been rendered more. The entrees at Smyth are quite pricey (in the $30 range and up), but if you want to splurge I can think of other places to go in Milwaukee that will really WOW. Bottom line: recommended but overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014My party and I shared multiple dishes and found the quality of the food to be top notch. Be sure to save room for the S'mores. Service was somewhat lacking, but the food made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014Food looked great but served cool to cold...was not a busy night so we were surprised. Hotel is great but food is sub-standard for the price.Special Features:
- Amazing food as alwaysRedheadedwmnDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I came back for our third time here and food was as amazing as ever. And cocktails were delicious as well. We love the vibe and romance Smyth offers and we make this our place for romantic and special dinners. Service and food was at a perfect cadence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool venue…great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2014Recently moved from Chicago and old Chicago foodie friends were coming to visit…This place did it!!! It was great. Love the Iron Horse Hotel…you should definitely plan a drink at the bar or share champagne sitting on the big leather couches in the "lobby" area before moving in to dinner. Smaller, intimate place with low lighting. Very comfortable. Great sharing plates. Most items we would do again anytime soon…cauliflower and kale, steak, whitefish (so tender and great flavors).Special Features:
- Would definitely dine here againfoodfanDined on 10/17/2014Our party of 4 had a lovely, unhurried, delightful meal with wonderful wine at Smyth. The menu was unusual, creative, and had something for everyone, including a vegan friend. The food was sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Celebration23moretogoDined on 10/17/2014My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and we wanted to try a new place. We really enjoyed the small, medium, large choices on the menu. We were able to try several different dishes together without feeling stuffed! Very nice wait staff as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunch placeTheDonDined on 10/12/2014Great food, good food selection. Special dishes made when you want, perfect size for a brunch buffet. Love the crab cake benedict.....full of crab instead of filler like some other places. They know how to poach an egg properly. Wish I had taken my parents there when they were here to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Evening at SmythCelebrationDined on 10/4/2014We four were celebration two birthdays. Since we live in Illinois, we booked the Iron Horse Hotel (outstanding), and were fortunate to have a Smyth on the premises. One of the birthday guys picked the restaurant first, and the wives picked the hotel. Food at Smyth was outstanding, service cordial and prompt, menu layout adventurous, portions just right, and wine was delicious. It was a memorable night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this world!The3BsDined on 10/3/2014Our dinner at Smyth was out of this world! We would highly recommend this restaurant. My daughter and I cannot wait to dine there again. Our mother daughter weekend with our little Barley was beyond a perfect weekend at the Iron Horse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/1/2014Hard to be disappointed on a Wednesday evening if you're looking for really delicious food from an eclectic menu offering.Special Features:
- Foodie1Dined on 9/27/2014Food was excellent! Ambiance, too noisy. Service was very good, but actually a bit too fast...I hesitate to speak negatively about fast service, but we had about two sips of our cocktails when the entrees arrived.Special Features:
- Great place to shareSueMVIPDined on 9/11/2014Four of us ate at Smyth on a Thursday night. We decided to order several small and medium plates and share. If you like trying new foods this is the place! We tried chicken liver pate, goat cheese, rabbit meatballs, bone marrow, walleye, pork cheeks and a few other things and it was all outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your usual hotel resturanthate2cookVIPDined on 9/10/2014The food is outstanding here, don't miss it ! HIghlights of the night were th corn chowder and the pork chop!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalLoganDined on 9/6/2014Phenomenal, yet unfussy, food, décor and service. We really enjoyed the small/medium/large plate concept and happily mixed and matched, all the way to dessert. Smyth absolutely NEVER disappoints, which means a lot of people are working very, very hard at making everything look effortless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodFoodislifeDined on 9/3/2014Smyth is the place for excellent taste. The atmosphere is exceptional. Service very good. Our only disappointment was portion size. For the price it was way too small. Compared to other restaurants with similar price, it fell short on portion size. Otherwise, the flavors were outstanding. Kudos to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impressive buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014We had the Route 66 buffet and understand the price now! Huge selection of meats, plus food to order at the table, with a drink included. Very fun meal. But vegetarian options were lacking.Special Features:
- Excellent for dinner or tapasCkressinVIPDined on 8/30/2014Great service and the food was fabulous! Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Had a great dining experience here. The food was amazing. Plenty of options for sharing or not, it's up to you! Doesn't feel like a "hotel" restaurant at all. Great service as well. Fun, energetic vibe. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We dined at this restaurant last Saturday night. The menu was underwhelming and overpriced. Service was terrific. Would not go here again.
- BeeJBeeJDined on 8/15/2014Outside dining is comfortable and spacious…perfect for catching the last days of summer. Food is prepared thoughtfully and creatively….plus very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smyth Foodie WeekFuntofeastDined on 8/13/2014So glad we chose Smyth during Walkers Point Foodie week. First time diners and I will go back! Hard to decide from great menu choices. Regular menu also looked wonderful. Food was fresh, presented well and service was great. The decor was simple yet elegant in an appropriate industrial style.Special Features:
- one of the besthate2cookVIPDined on 8/12/2014We went during Walkers Foodie Week but have been there before. Smyth was a had to go to destination and we were not disappointed. Food was excellent !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth giving a trydiningwiththeboysVIPDined on 8/11/2014Not a typical hotel restaurant. Rather a spin on food that the foodie in you will enjoy. Not a huge menu, but enough variety to find what you are looking for. Time is taken to prepare and present richly crafted food options. From the everyday choices with new spins to the creative. Freshest ingredients are used to make salads, dinners and desserts special. Nice wine list, a bit on the pricey side. Seasonal cocktail options as well. Restaurant is a bit on the dark side, designed in dark browns with a lot of heavy wood features, maybe perfect for that special dinner or night out on the town. Give it a try, the food impresses, the service is great and they make the effort to make sure you are happy and enjoying yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and delicious.SteveVIPDined on 8/1/2014We shared grilled romaine with blue cheese and bacon, Bone Marrow, pork cheeks with polenta, walleye with pickled radishes, and seared golden brown scallops. All delicious medium sized plates. They split the salad for us. New industrial decorations. There is an outside bar, quite attractive, but call to see when it is open. A short distance from Third ward shops. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 598 reviews are from the Smyth reviews archive.
- Farm to tableJodieDined on 7/26/2014The food was awesome, it is unique / farm2table type of fare. Our server John was great. He asked us if we were celebrating anything special (which we were, our 11th anniversary). I ordered the "medium" dish of scallops which our waiter said was more of an appetizer, it was enough for me. My husband chose the "large" menu & had pork chops that were out of this world (the waiter gave us the name of the breed, I don't recall, but would consider it an "heirloom" variety). After our meal, we did go outside to the patio. We had cocktails out there. It was a beautiful night with a light breeze from the lake... I would definitely go back and even check into staying overnight at the hotel.Special Features:
- Service OutstandingHungryLadyDined on 7/9/2014Nick was our server and steered us in the right direction. We had the bison flank steak and it came perfectly done with just the right amount of potatoes and gravy. Spring veggies were a nice addition. The wine we ordered, a super tuscan, was priced right and excellent for the dish. The only downside is that we were too full to order one of the four outstanding deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceEdnDeeDined on 7/5/2014We enjoyed dining here very much. A very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2014We have visited Smyth twice for dinner and once for brunch and found the food and service to be excellent. Only complaint is a small one... We ordered a bottle of champagne at brunch and had to wait a while for it to come to the table, then refilled our own glasses when they were empty. Otherwise a great time was had, would recommend the beet salad and the chiliquiles at brunch.Special Features:
- Distinctive Pre-Summerfest DinnertrysomethingnewDined on 6/25/2014Great foods served with attention to detail and presentation in a modern sleek atmosphere. Go early - relax and enjoy a great meal before a fantastic concert at Summerfest. Its a great quiet start to a lively night.Special Features:
- BrunchLG1123Dined on 6/15/2014Always great for special occasion brunch. (Fathers day, birthday).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.