500 West Florida Street
Milwaukee, WI 53204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.smythrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 414-831-4615x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Dinner: Monday -Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-10:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bradford Shovlin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Smyth is available for private functions for any time of the day excluding Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Friday and Saturday nights. Please contact Krista Sobieski for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Krista Sobieski firstname.lastname@example.org 4148314613x
- Special Events:
Thursday, October 2
Harvest season is upon us and we're welcoming all to enjoy the flavors of Fall with a sampling of Smyth's new menu. Guests are invited to join us on October 2 from 6-9 to sample the new menu in Smyth for $39. Smyth will be set up to serve the menu in a series of food stations where guests can walk around and try new menu items. Attendants will receive a welcome cocktail as they arrive. Ingredients from all over Wisconsin and the Midwest are incorporated in the Fall menu, including Smyth's own farm in Cascade, WI.
A word from Smyth
Smyth is inspired by the days gone by term for blacksmithing. We honor the blacksmith and his craft by creating cuisine that reflects the handcrafted, soulful trade of transforming raw materials into works of art. We draw seasonally from the bounty that Wisconsin and the Midwest have to offer. Smyth is an intelligent balance between the playful and the traditional. Enjoy soups, salads, appetizers and entrees as well as plates meant for sharing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Smyth - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Smyth reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)special occasion (30)romantic (24)neighborhood gem (18)good for groups (16)great for brunch (14)hot spot (13)great for outdoor dining (13)vibrant bar scene (10)notable wine list (8)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Great place to shareSueMVIPDined on 9/11/2014Four of us ate at Smyth on a Thursday night. We decided to order several small and medium plates and share. If you like trying new foods this is the place! We tried chicken liver pate, goat cheese, rabbit meatballs, bone marrow, walleye, pork cheeks and a few other things and it was all outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your usual hotel resturanthate2cookVIPDined on 9/10/2014The food is outstanding here, don't miss it ! HIghlights of the night were th corn chowder and the pork chop!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalLoganDined on 9/6/2014Phenomenal, yet unfussy, food, décor and service. We really enjoyed the small/medium/large plate concept and happily mixed and matched, all the way to dessert. Smyth absolutely NEVER disappoints, which means a lot of people are working very, very hard at making everything look effortless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodFoodislifeDined on 9/3/2014Smyth is the place for excellent taste. The atmosphere is exceptional. Service very good. Our only disappointment was portion size. For the price it was way too small. Compared to other restaurants with similar price, it fell short on portion size. Otherwise, the flavors were outstanding. Kudos to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impressive buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014We had the Route 66 buffet and understand the price now! Huge selection of meats, plus food to order at the table, with a drink included. Very fun meal. But vegetarian options were lacking.Special Features:
- Excellent for dinner or tapasCkressinDined on 8/30/2014Great service and the food was fabulous! Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Had a great dining experience here. The food was amazing. Plenty of options for sharing or not, it's up to you! Doesn't feel like a "hotel" restaurant at all. Great service as well. Fun, energetic vibe. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We dined at this restaurant last Saturday night. The menu was underwhelming and overpriced. Service was terrific. Would not go here again.
- BeeJBeeJDined on 8/15/2014Outside dining is comfortable and spacious…perfect for catching the last days of summer. Food is prepared thoughtfully and creatively….plus very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smyth Foodie WeekFuntofeastDined on 8/13/2014So glad we chose Smyth during Walkers Point Foodie week. First time diners and I will go back! Hard to decide from great menu choices. Regular menu also looked wonderful. Food was fresh, presented well and service was great. The decor was simple yet elegant in an appropriate industrial style.Special Features:
- one of the besthate2cookVIPDined on 8/12/2014We went during Walkers Foodie Week but have been there before. Smyth was a had to go to destination and we were not disappointed. Food was excellent !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth giving a trydiningwiththeboysVIPDined on 8/11/2014Not a typical hotel restaurant. Rather a spin on food that the foodie in you will enjoy. Not a huge menu, but enough variety to find what you are looking for. Time is taken to prepare and present richly crafted food options. From the everyday choices with new spins to the creative. Freshest ingredients are used to make salads, dinners and desserts special. Nice wine list, a bit on the pricey side. Seasonal cocktail options as well. Restaurant is a bit on the dark side, designed in dark browns with a lot of heavy wood features, maybe perfect for that special dinner or night out on the town. Give it a try, the food impresses, the service is great and they make the effort to make sure you are happy and enjoying yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and delicious.SteveVIPDined on 8/1/2014We shared grilled romaine with blue cheese and bacon, Bone Marrow, pork cheeks with polenta, walleye with pickled radishes, and seared golden brown scallops. All delicious medium sized plates. They split the salad for us. New industrial decorations. There is an outside bar, quite attractive, but call to see when it is open. A short distance from Third ward shops. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to tableJodieDined on 7/26/2014The food was awesome, it is unique / farm2table type of fare. Our server John was great. He asked us if we were celebrating anything special (which we were, our 11th anniversary). I ordered the "medium" dish of scallops which our waiter said was more of an appetizer, it was enough for me. My husband chose the "large" menu & had pork chops that were out of this world (the waiter gave us the name of the breed, I don't recall, but would consider it an "heirloom" variety). After our meal, we did go outside to the patio. We had cocktails out there. It was a beautiful night with a light breeze from the lake... I would definitely go back and even check into staying overnight at the hotel.Special Features:
- Service OutstandingHungryLadyDined on 7/9/2014Nick was our server and steered us in the right direction. We had the bison flank steak and it came perfectly done with just the right amount of potatoes and gravy. Spring veggies were a nice addition. The wine we ordered, a super tuscan, was priced right and excellent for the dish. The only downside is that we were too full to order one of the four outstanding deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceEdnDeeDined on 7/5/2014We enjoyed dining here very much. A very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2014We have visited Smyth twice for dinner and once for brunch and found the food and service to be excellent. Only complaint is a small one... We ordered a bottle of champagne at brunch and had to wait a while for it to come to the table, then refilled our own glasses when they were empty. Otherwise a great time was had, would recommend the beet salad and the chiliquiles at brunch.Special Features:
- Distinctive Pre-Summerfest DinnertrysomethingnewDined on 6/25/2014Great foods served with attention to detail and presentation in a modern sleek atmosphere. Go early - relax and enjoy a great meal before a fantastic concert at Summerfest. Its a great quiet start to a lively night.Special Features:
- BrunchLG1123Dined on 6/15/2014Always great for special occasion brunch. (Fathers day, birthday).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014We really enjoyed the evening! Excellent service, food was out of this world, and the atmosphere was amazing!Special Features:
- Route 66 Brunch: Traveler's DelightEatNWriteDined on 6/8/2014I'm usually not a fan of themed anything, but The Route 66 Brunch doesn't sacrifice quality for character. Serving dishes that originated in or were inspired by the truck stops and diners along Route 66, it is part buffet and part breakfast tapas. The "tapas" are small plates that are included in the price of brunch but are ordered through the server. Service was excellent -- friendly and attentive. If you have an inclination toward sweet, order the brioche french toast, but you might want to request "easy on the syrup." For me, highlights of the buffet were "flannel" corned beef hash and smoked salmon. A little pricey? Yes, but worth it. We traveled all the way from the suburbs of Chicago just for breakfast -- a traveler's delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating in the darkBrownieDined on 6/7/2014It has been a while since we were first at the restaurant. It seems to have changed. Great outside seating and a wonderful place for a drink. However, the restaurant lighting was way too dark. We had to use cell phones in order to read the menu. Several other tables around us also use their cell phone to read the menu. We asked twice to have the lights turned up but to no avail. The pork was very good and worth ordering again. Very limited menu with regards to choices. Only one type of meat, pork, chicken or fish. Wine list was very limited also. Given the prices, the atmosphere and the limited choices not sure we will return again.
- charm and flavorfinediningfanDined on 6/6/2014excellent ambiance and service in this space. the low lighting make for romantic moments along with some unique cocktails to spice the night. the service was excellent and the food bold and flavorful. it has a limited menu which limits choices but it is better to do some things excellent than many things mediocre as far as I am concerned. add one of their rooms to make for a romantic weekend getaway and enjoy their outside bar after dinner and then brunch the following morning. A+ experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would go back.OutNAboutDined on 6/5/2014We went here for our 1 year anniversary. I wouldn't say the food and service were "outstanding" but the staff was attentive, the food was good. The menu selection was a little lean and was a little pricey. Nice atmosphere though. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!karenthibDined on 6/3/2014We dined at Smyth while celebrating our anniversary at the Iron Horse Hotel and it was just wonderful. The salmon dish I had was great and the pork chop my husband had was deemed the best he'd ever eaten. The service was fantastic and we really enjoyed ourselves. The decor of the restaurant is also very nice and much in keeping with the rest of the hotel and the laid back Harley vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014Smyth was great-it was Open Table that stunk. i made a reservation for 9:30- got there at 9:30 and then was told the restaurant did not open until 10. You would think the Open Table reservation would not have gone through.Special Features:
- HowardVIPDined on 5/24/2014Limited menu. All the entree choices were rich and expensive. Need more options.
- The following 584 reviews are from the Smyth reviews archive.
- JennieVIPDined on 5/22/2014Although the servers were absolutely fabulous as well as The bartender, the limited food on the menu wasn't for me. This is my problem. Not anyone else's. Nice people.Special Features:
- Amazing isn't even enoughStmphotoDined on 5/16/2014The best lamb I've ever eaten. Amazing service. They even seamlessly handled a request to have menus without pricing so my guests would order with their taste buds and not their walletSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When In MilwaukeeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014Went to Milwaukee for a concert and found a great hotel and wonderful restaurant. The service was attentive without being intrusive. The food was marvelous and the ambiance great-a very nicely done industrial chic. The tables could use a little more space for privacy.Special Features:
- Mother's Day Brunch - Not Worth $55SaraMcGDined on 5/11/2014The Iron Horse Hotel is one of my favorite spots in Milwaukee. The ambiance and decor are incredible and the staff are friendly and attentive. While I can't speak for their weekly brunch - which I would like to try because some of the items sound amazingly good - their specialty buffet brunch for Mother's Day was just.... "Meh". Service was great - the omelet station was fantastic - and they seemed to keep up with the buffet nicely - making sure it was fresh and restocked. Despite that attention, the food that should have been warm was notably cold, and the variety was a little lacking. I have no doubt the food that they did have would've been amazing had it come directly from the kitchen - it just didn't hold up well at the buffet.Special Features:
- Won't Leave HungryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2014I have been to Smyth for dinner a few times (loved it) and thought I would try the Route 66 brunch. I have some mixed reviews for brunch. There are certainly plenty of options in the buffet and a few made-to-order items. My brunch companion ordered the chicken fried steak and said it was good and ordered the tiramisu pancakes and said they were very good. I had the Green Chile Chilaquiles and they were okay and the fish tacos which were very tasty. The Flannel Hash was just okay as was most of the buffet food, the bacon was outstanding, thick-cut and meaty. I was too full to try the prime rib which looked perfectly cooked nor any made-to-order omelet. Service was pretty good although they could have been much faster with coffee refills.Special Features:
- Dinner with good friendsJTDGDined on 5/3/2014The ambience of Smyth is perfect - it has a rustic modern vibe, the lighting is low, the seating is well spaced. The Harley theme is subtly woven through the restaurant (and hotel) with such class - the marriage brings to mind the fashion world of beautiful models (guys/dolls) in perfectly styled and ragged $3500 leather vests and hole-y jeans. The food is excellent - we had the mushrooms and crabcakes for appetizers and various steaks and seafood for entrees - all cooked perfectly. The wine list was thorough. Service was friendly and efficient - leaving us good friends space to have a relaxing and enriching time together. The background music is upbeat and cool. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great ExperienceMarkMarzDined on 5/2/2014My wife and I celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary at Smyth in conjunction with a stay at the Iron Horse. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience with the exception of a rather loud large group that was seated near us. Would highly recommend and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique DishesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/30/2014I had the salmon and my wife the pork tenderloin. We split a green salad and it was plenty for the two of us with some unique flavorings. My salmon was outstanding in a unique and flavorful sauce, mussels, and hominy. The pork tenderlone was tender and also had a flavorful sauce. The meal was bit expensive for me but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great food, ok serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014The food was wonderful but the waitress did not have much of a personality. When dining at a place like this with a price tag of over $30 for a bunch, it would seem the staff should be more friendly and upbeat. Overall good experience.Special Features:
- fishfryDined on 4/26/2014small menu and some entrees were not available. Used to be very good and interesting food. This restaurant has slipped.
- Easter BrunchNicky090Dined on 4/20/2014The Easter brunch was amazing! The spread was impressive and they had everything you could have asked for including bottomless mimosa's. The eggs benedict that came at the beginning of the meal was cooked perfect.Special Features:
- Loved it!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014The food was great and the buffet was presented very attractively. The bottomless mimosas made the price well worth it! The service was friendly and we had a great Easter brunch. The only thing we weren't wild about was the dessert selection and the ham was pretty fatty. But despite these couple little things we would definitely recommend this Easter buffet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful brunch spothappydiner1Dined on 4/20/2014Have been to the Sunday brunch at Smyth restaurant numerous times and have always had a great experience. Went to the Easter brunch this time and we had a wonderful time. The food was fantastic and the mimosa bar was a nice touch. The mango mimosa was a table favorite. We had a great waitress and all the other staff friendly and accommodating. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.