Smylie Brothers Brewing Co.
1615 Oak Ave.
Evanston, IL 60201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Smylie Brothers Brewing Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.smyliebros.com/
- Phone: 2249997320x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Wednesday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Thursday: 11:00am - 1:00am, Saturday: 10:00am- 1am, Sunday: 10:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Grant Carey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Smylie Brothers Brewing Co.
Evanston brewpub and smokehouse. Craft beer, wood fired pizza, and Texas inspired BBQ.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Smylie Brothers Brewing Co. - Best Restaurants in Evanston ›
Smylie Brothers Brewing Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (69)good for groups (68)great for outdoor dining (65)kid-friendly (40)hot spot (39)vibrant bar scene (38)fit for foodies (23)late-night find (15)great for lunch (12)scenic view (5)special occasion (3)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)romantic (2)Show More
- Excellent Beer Brewed On SiteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014Great beer menu, including selections from other nearby craft breweries. Nice brick oven pizzas. Other quality bar fare, BBQ and burgers. There were enough options for the vegan family member. Interesting dessert specials. It is easy to run up the check. Or just come for the beer and take home a growler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed our dinner. The ribs were a little inconsistent. My husband had 2 half racks, one was tender and falling off the bone, the other was dry and not as good. The others who had ribs said there's were fine. I had the pizza and it was delicious. The mac & cheese was super good and my daughter loved her chicken BBQ sliders. Our waitress was great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the beer and to watch a gameriverratDined on 10/11/2014Nothing was noteworthy. Service was unattentive. Fries were warm not hot. Chili bowl was half full. Margarita pizza lacked toppings.Special Features:
- Good food, fastKandBDined on 10/11/2014Need reservations. Food delivered fast and hot. Not a lot (besides pizza) for vegetariansSpecial Features:
- City guyCityguyDined on 10/10/2014This is the second time in two weeks that I have tried this place. The first time was a group of 6 and we sat upstairs. Good food and really slow service. I decided to try them out again thinking maybe they had an off night. This time was just me and a friend. We had reservations and were seated right away. We were not acknowledged at the table for over ten minutes! Once a waitress did come over it was with a lackluster attitude. We were there at 6:15pm the place was not that busy yet. The food was ok at best. Our server was less than that. The best thing about this place is the atmosphere and the support staff who clean up the tables. They seem to be the only ones on top of their game. Very disappointing experience.
- Local Brew Pub1SENDined on 10/9/2014I was looking forward to trying out Evanstons newest brew pub. As a dark beer drinking, vegetarian I found that both the beer selection and the food selection was limited. None-the-less, I was enthusiastic, over the fact that the atmosphere and location are desirable. Nice place to be, for hop heads and people who enjoy bbq( their speciality)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service fair fooddjdnDined on 10/5/2014the barbecue beef was dry and the two BQ sauces on the table were not good. could be personal taste but for a barbecue place the food was not that good. Pleasant staff and overall very good service we just did not care for the food. The craft beer selection was very nice. We had two of their own beers and they were very good. Great place for a few beers but not a fan of the food.
- A Bad Dining ExperienceDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 10/5/2014Not to mince words - this was a bad dining experience. The food was tasteless and the craft beer was overpriced. I had the ribs. They were dry (and the BBQ sauce I added didn't help the taste) and not particularly meaty. My wife's chile was mush with no distinct taste. Even her salad was bland. When I told the waitress what type of beer I liked, she recommended one of the craft brews. It was fine (I am not a connoisseur) but it was $9.00. Shame on me for ordering it. The nicest thing I can say about the place is that the space is nice, and on a nice summer or fall day, it might be nice to sit in the patio area.
- Diner2VIPDined on 10/3/2014Great food and beer and fun atmosphere! Perfect addition to the suburban dining scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but goodBeernBBQDined on 9/30/2014Had one of their pizzas and it's very solid! Thin and crispy with delicious toppings. The place is not cheap but it's good!Special Features:
- Beer & BBQ in EtownBeernBBQDined on 9/28/2014Another new place in Evanston - and a much needed one! Evanston needs more variety in good places to go to for food and drinks. This one is the latest addition and follows the Farmhouse recipe (good food, good drinks, hefty prices) with a Pizza/BBQ menu. I will definitely be back more often even though the price tags can be painful...Special Features:
- IgnorednotpickyDined on 9/27/2014We entered and I was immediately struck by the great decor and vibe, but, sadly, the service was so poor I don't think I can go back. We waited over 30 minutes for our waiter to ask if we'd like drinks, then he forgot one entree and never asked if we wanted additional drinks or dessert. We had fun with our wonderful friends, but the service was the worst I've had in 53 years. So bad it was comical - we got a kick out of it because it was so astonishing! Also stunned that no one apologized.Special Features:
- Great beer and fun atmosphere.512poodleDined on 9/25/2014Lots of great beer, good food and typical brewery décor. Outside dining area is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmyliesKokosviewDined on 9/20/2014Our waiter was friendly and provided good service. The meat & fish dishes were amazing while I've had better pizza. Our asparagus side for $6 was 7 thin spears & way too expensive for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ramp up the flavor!GiGiDined on 9/19/2014So excited to have another brewery and eatery in Evanston. The atmosphere of Smylie Brother's is really great. The crowd was a nice blend of NW students and locals and not too loud. The food was only so-so, fries really nice but the bbq was only okay, bros. work on the sauce, too runny and too vinegary, you can do better. Will try again but ramp up the flavor.
- Too bad....LolaDined on 9/19/2014What a cool space! Too bad our waiter was not nice and the food came out cold (we had the meat combo). Not enough wait staff, clearly. Drink orders took a long time when they remembered to bring them, that is....
- AMBWDined on 9/14/2014Went on Sunday night -dinner unpleasant because football way too loudSpecial Features:
- Disappointingly mediocre!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/14/2014Anticipated a good family bar-b-que dining spot and was terribly disappointed. Service was slow and unresponsive! Dinner for 4 came out in 2 different time frames. Two were served and 10 minutes later the other 2 were served. Sandwiches had little flavor and only 2 sauces to choose from, both vinegar based. Waitress mentioned they had to " work on getting a plain bar-b-que sauce". Fish was good but had an unseasoned julienne vegetable and potato combo. Pizzas were "fair" at best with little flavor. Unfortunately, we will seek out another place for our bar-b-que!
- JerryDined on 9/13/2014Note that this is really a sports bar....even though it has good food, great service it is pretty loud. Fun place but not for that quiet romantic evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I was quite impressed with the design and overall ambiance of Sylie's. The food was also good...grilled asparagus, fries and mac-n-cheese. The ribs were good as well although my friend and I thought that there should have been a wider selection of bar-b-que sauce.Special Features:
- Delicious smoked entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014I've been to Smylie's twice, and each time had a very good experience with the food and the service. The menu pairs well with their extensive hand crafted beers, and the vibe is energetic. The upstairs seating is spacious for larger groups and families. If you're a fan of BBQ, try the platter of brisket, ribs and pulled pork!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the way I like it done!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014we walked out. a party upstairs was making way too much noise. more than a normal party would. screaming and chanting every few minutes. I understand having a good time, but not at the expense of other customers. more importantly, we were in the mood for burgers. "per the owner" we could only order it MEDIUM WELL. Well, we like medium to medium rare, so we walked out and walked to another restaurant where we could hear and order what we wanted, not what the owner wanted.Special Features:
- DisappointingCarleeDined on 9/6/2014We really wanted to like this place. The food and service were not good. Host wouldn't let us sit at booth (we had reservations) then proceeded to sit three groups of 2 at booths right after we were seated at 4 top table . Service was unfriendly other than person being trained-she was sweet so there's hope. My pulled bbq chicken sandwich was neither pulled nor barbequed. My husband's bbq flight was not good. The macaroni and cheese had no hint of cheese -very bland. The french fries were great but it took ten minutes to get ketchup. The pizzas passing by looked decent, the wine list is minimal - I get that it's a brewery so that's ok. I liked my husband's beer. I hope they get their act together - great potential! Cool building.
- Just okTsarabe1Dined on 9/4/2014I found the food bland (pulled pork and ribs), requiring the sauces to develop any flavor. The only standout was the purple line beer.
- Constructive CriticismBubsDined on 9/2/2014Beautiful and fun renovation, outside was very pleasant and our server Amber was delightful. Mac and cheese really needed more cheese, not just cream sauce. Nice texture on pulled pork and brisket, yet not much flavor. Slaw no flavor either. Loved the bun. Spoiled by the old Black Dog Tavern in Wilmette on their smoked items- they were the real thing, and so were their sauces! Beers good, but hard to figure out sizes- need pint and half-pint? Keep trying these are small things in the big picture. Your staff was so friendly and well-trained- that means a lot.Special Features:
- Great new restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Loved the food, beer, and atmosphere. Unfortunately, they ran out of the trout, cornbread, and all the desserts which is why I gave the food 4 starts instead of 5. Otherwise it was fabulous and we had a fun evening at Smylie Bros. with friends!Special Features:
- Good StartjoeliquorVIPDined on 8/31/2014Had a good experience on our first visit here. Interesting space both inside and out and overall the food was pretty good for a new bar. Brisket was the star, but I wouldn't recommend the poutine. Their house beers were better than I expected from a new brewpub and I'll be back for those, but guest tap prices are excessive. Only quibble on service is that food was slow to arrive and when I asked for a non-alcoholic cocktail, the bar staff had no clue what they could produce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lauraDined on 8/30/2014the barbecue was awesome and the root beer float was the best I've ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huge Let DownOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/30/2014Was exited to finally go here. What a disaster. Ordered the brisket sandwich except they were out. They opened four hours ago and were still going to be open four more hours and already ran out. How about the pulled pork sandwich? Also out. Waitress said if we wanted to try those meats we would have to order a more expensive platter. Since they were small portions they rationing those meats for people ordering platters. At least the beers were decent. Our food showed up quickly - one bite of my sandwich and I was done - cold dried chicken - yum! I told the waitress about it and they comped our beer - even though we had a few bites of our sandwich we still had to pay for that. Overall very disappointing for a place with so much hype.
- Great TimepcookDined on 8/29/2014We had a great time, service was great, food was excellent our kids ate everything and loved it.Special Features:
- Good beer, decent BBQChiberiaDined on 8/27/2014First visit impressions: great look and vibe, pleasant staff, and the place was doing brisk business for a week day evening. Ordered one of the home brews which was very hoppy and very tasty. Noticed everyone around us had ordered pizza but we decided on the poutine and bbq. Poutine was flavorful though it could have had a bit more heat and gravy since the curds had not melted. The bbq platter was comprised of ribs, which had a delicious rub, pulled pork and chicken, which were both ok, needing seasoning. The Kansas City sauce was much preferred over the Texas . Portions were reasonable. The staff was pleasant and it was a relaxed atmosphere though they were busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer Flight - AmazingAdeser2030Dined on 8/27/2014Would definitely come back again for the beer. Once you tasted each of the 5 beers, you were able to have another glass of your favorite. They were all so good, it was hard to choose.Special Features:
- Food is OK but zero hospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014While I certainly don't mind using OpenTable to book a table, I found it very odd that when I called to see if I could make one at Smylie Brothers, the hostess told me she could not take the res over the phone and that I would have to use OpenTable. Red flag number 1. Red flag 2 was when my friend ordered a cocktail. Our waitress let my friend know she would need to keep her license with her because of the glassware they use to serve said cocktail (to deter my friend from stealing the glass which turned out to be promotional which means the restaurant prob didn't pay for it anyway). There are many other places to dine in Evanston that don't treat their patrons like untrustworthy people. Not worth going back to.
- Food is weak linkOrlandoVisitorDined on 8/26/2014The roast chicken was oversalted and undercooked. The blackeyed peas and zucchini were bland and mushy. No one at the table finished the meal. On a positive note, the beers were amazing and the serving staff couldn't have been nicer.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/26/2014Waitress was very nice but there was a long wait to order and then to get the food. Poutine was very good and fed 4 for an appetizer. Bar was excellent. Outstanding Manhattan, although it took 20 minutes to get it. Main dishes were disappointing. Pulled pork was mediocre. Brisket was lousy - the only spice that could be tasted was salt. Neither had much of a smoke flavor.
- Beats the school cafeteriaHowboutitDined on 8/24/2014I was taken aback by how God awful the food at Smylie Bros. was.i so wanted to have another neighborhood place to love. The grilled asparagus was cooked almost beyond recognition and was salty enough to put me into congestive heart failure. I know I sound harsh but this experience was shared by the five others with me. From the apps to the 6 main courses we sampled it was consistently terrible. Save yourself the money and the time and skip this place. Oak Street Market I long for the days when u adorned the space beneath this beautiful roof!
- Smylie BrosJaykayVIPDined on 8/24/2014We had the brisket and pulled chicken sandwiches. The brisket was outstanding. My husband enjoyed the chicken also. We couldn't figure out why the meat didn't come with the sauce already mixed in. My husband felt like he couldn't get his sandwich adequately dressed! The fries were good too. The place is a bit lacking in ambience. Cavernous space. Service was fair to poor. With all the choices around, not sure we'll be back.Special Features:
- Hugo Santamariadavidd369Dined on 8/23/2014The waitstaff were very cordial and accommodating. We arrived at 8:30 on a Saturday night (!). Immediate seating was both in and out. As you have read, this is a place that brews their own. I ordered their wheat sample and my date the Cali Common. Both were acceptable. However, the nose on the wheat was off and the Cali was not very citrus. We ordered appetizer, salad and two entrees. The bill came out to just over $60, which was fair for two. But the food was bland (pretzel, Brewhouse salad, pulled pork) and common. I was hoping for more. This place is worth a second try. PS: I am tired of seeing 'Amish' chicken on every menu. What did we eat before there was Amish chicken?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Place!LuvtonoshDined on 8/23/2014Smylie Brothers has been on the North Shore scene for the past two months. It is a fun place to go for great barbecue!!! And if you love beer this is the place for you! All the beer is crafted on sight, which makes for an interesting back drop to the overall decor of the restaurant. The wait staff is friendly and tries to be accommodating to the diner! All in all I would recommend Smylie Brothers for great barbecue and a fun time with friends.Special Features:
- Wonderful additionOverratedDined on 8/22/2014This new brew pub is just what Evanston needed. Good food and great beer.Special Features: