6920 Macleod Tr. S
Calgary, AB T2H 0L3Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.smugglers.ca/
- Phone: (403) 253-5355
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm; Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm; Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Saturday and Sunday Brunch: 9:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Gary Hennessey
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have on site facilities for groups of 20 and also have the ability to bring our world famous cuisine to off site locations. Several menus are offered in different price ranges, and our catering co-coordinator would be happy to discuss options and availability.
- Private Party Facilities: Special menus can be arranged through our catering department.
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Cooper 4032535355x
A word from Smuggler's Inn
Originally established in 1967, Smuggler's has been serving Alberta prime rib to several generations. Always a popular place for Calgarians to gather and celebrate, we are the preferred dining choice for birthdays, anniversaries, milestones or just meeting friends and family. Our prime rib is the main feature of our diverse menu, available all day, every day any way you like it. From a 7oz. prime rib sandwich, all the way up to a 48oz cut, our succulent prime rib is sure to please any appetite. Cajun blackened is always a popular choice, as is adding a lobster tail or side of garlic shrimp. Of course there is a creative selection of steaks, chicken and seafood to satisfy everyone. With a soup and salad bar included with every entree, not many guests leave hungry, but it would be a great idea if you saved room for one of our delicious desserts...even if you plan on sharing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Smuggler's Inn - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Smuggler's Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
182 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (113)good for groups (90)fit for foodies (61)romantic (56)great for brunch (46)neighborhood gem (39)kid-friendly (30)great for lunch (28)notable wine list (22)hot spot (7)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Poor valueDaleDined on 11/21/2014The bison steak was $32, which is fine. What is not fine is the very small meat portion you get for dinner. The piece of meat was so small it looked ridiculous on the comparatively large plate. It did taste very good however. If it was not for the fruit at the salad bar, for which I had 3 helpings, I would have gone home hungry. The beef steak and seafood plates that my friends had were reasonable portions, but certainly not too much. Server was good. The salad/bread bar had a pretty small selection. I previously thought this was a good although expensive restaurant. Now a reasonable value is just not there anymore. I do not plan to go back.Special Features:
- Disappointed.DisappointedDined on 11/19/2014Being an out of town traveller, I used to eat at Smugglers many times. In the past. So when i returned this time with my wife we were looking for that service and quite frankly the best Prime Rib in the city. We were disappointed at best. Our food did not arrive as we ordered. When asked " how is everything" I explained that they must have confused the wellness of the meals as I ordered Blackened Prime Rib medium rare and received it at least medium well. My wife who ordered the Prime Rib medium well received her meal barely medium rare. When we replied to the question and she seemed to be disinterested in our reply. My wife would not send her meal back or eat the undercooked meat so our evening was well below our expectations. Following the presentation of the bill our waitress came and after clearing our table, she told us that "the Prime Rib was cooked as ordered and that because the Blackened Prim Rib is seared in a pan it may have been over cooked". We did not complain but will not return
- Great!GAPRDined on 11/18/2014We had visitors from Australia and took them to Smuggler's for a feast. It was superb, from beginning to end: for those who had fish and those who had prime rib. Desserts were excellent and the service was fantastic. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good night except for...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Very good night. Only one issue. My wife's prime rib was cooked wrong. It was corrected but the waiter made a point of making sure that we knew it was the kitchen's fault and not his. I thought that was very unprofessional. The food however was delicious and everything else about the evening was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommended!luckyDined on 11/14/2014I grew up in Calgary and hadn't been to Smugglers since the early '80s. The decor is still the retro '70s look (which was great...it immediately brought a smile to my face). The same salad bar with delicious salad dressings (if you like blue cheese, the blue cheesing dressing is beautiful) and amazing steak soup. I am not a meat eater at all....but for the steak soup I make an exception! It is outstanding. I am only sorry we were a bit rushed and could not stay to have a piece their wonderful mud pie for dessert. Thanks Smugglers, next time I am back in Calgary I am coming back and if need be, I'll get the mud pie for take out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don DDonsafanDined on 11/14/2014I had scheduled an important business lunch and needed to be sure that the quality of food and service wood be outstanding and that it would be quiet enough that we could conduct our business. Smugglers came through big time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing meat siza!TintinDined on 11/12/2014Went to Smuggler's to celebrate my husband's birthday and we were looking forward to it for a week since I booked! We were so amazed by the size of the steak we ordered, truly it was beyond our expectations! We will definitely come back and try other menus. The food is definitely a must-try! On top of that, we got a free mud pie with a candle for my husband, so truly, the resto went out of their way to please us! The only downside was the noise level. I asked for a quieter area as I wanted to enjoy the conversation with my husband and it was accommodated (we loved the fireplace very close to our seats), but we were close to a family who had a baby crying. Guess, you can't just have a perfect set-up anywhere.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014Whenever we have a special family occasion we choose smugglers as our favorite restaurant. When we have friends from out of the province or from outside the country and we want to showcase how great alberta beef is we take them to smugglers. Great food, good folks, great ambiance. Smugglers is our restaurant of choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/10/2014We went for dinner on a Monday and was surprised how full the restaurant was! However, service was absolutely amazing and the food was delicious! Would recommend to anyone :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Soup and Salad BarJohnDined on 11/9/2014Soup and Salad Bar made the meal. Main course was disappointing. Bison steak was bland and overloaded with berry sauce. Vegetables were overcooked and almost rubbery. Server was fantastic and very attentive. Mud pie was absolutely scrumptious. All in all I would recommend the appetizers and dessert.
- Good meal, good beef!JimXDined on 11/8/2014Smuggler's doesn't change, and I mean that in a good way. Steak and Prime Rib were our choices and the quality here is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BennyDined on 11/8/2014We had our employee apprication event here and the food, staff was all excellent.Special Features:
- YummyLinzgDined on 11/7/2014Food was amazing! Server was friendly and personable. Best steak ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatjohn0324Dined on 11/7/2014Great steaks great service. Parking is always full on weekends as this is a popular placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationCruisingDinerDined on 11/7/20143 of us went to celebrate our friends birthday at Smuggler's. It was a great atmosphere and we did lots of laughing, chatting and eating. The salad bar had a wide variety of fresh vegies, salads, and dressings. The buns were freshly baked, and crisp, and melted in your mouth. A couple of people had the soup, and it was scrumptious. Our main course roast beef, was made to perfection, and we all enjoyed it immensely, though there was too much to eat. We managed to save some room for the birthday mud pie, that they brought for the birthday girl, but there was more than enough for the 4 of us to share. We topped it off with coffee, which we had refilled a few times. Service was next to none. All in all a wonderful birthday dinner for all of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little disappointing....BiancaDined on 11/7/2014I had blackened cajun prime rib with neptune. The prime rib was excellent but the neptune was a ripoff. I paid $7.00 for a spoon of grated seafood, that was disappointing. My partner had the mixed seafood plate he said is was fine, not outstanding. What really bothered me was that they put us in the very corner of the room and there was a machine noise that was so loud it was giving us a headache, they said they couldnt change the table becuase it was full but there was plenty of extra tables they could have exchanged. The tables also felt like they were way too close together and people could hear our conversation. We spent a lot of money but the surroundings and noise ruined the evening. Will go downtown next time.
- Excellent FoodCalgarianamateurDined on 11/6/2014I have been there a couple of times and I am always satisfied that the service is very good and the food is excellent. Great place to be with friends. It is a little noisy, but I guess it is because of the amount of people there...Special Features:
- Love, Love, Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014from the fresh salads to the hearty delicious soups, this restaurant is not to be missed. You feel like a King or Queen of old in the high backed "throne" chairs that add to the overall mood and ambience of place. The food was served quickly and efficiently even on a busy Saturday night and cooked to perfection. One of our favorite places to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love smugglersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Very impressed when talking to Rich about bringing in my special needs son on Nov 1st, who would not eat anything on the brunch menu. Nothing was a problem. Rich was awesome on the phone and made me feel very welcome and assured me that bringing my son and not charging for him was no problem at all. He made me feel at ease. I love this place and have been coming here for 20 years. It's always great food and I have NEVER had a bad experience at Smugglers;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall - goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014overall the food is good, try not to pick too much salad, so you will have enough room for your nice lunchSpecial Features:
- Birthday CelebrationBirthdayDinnerDined on 10/28/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Smugs! We love coming for each and every birthday in our group. The soup & salad bar is fabulous. There aren't many (any) restaurants that still have a salad bar available. The food was excellent. Our evening was enhanced by our waiter, Terry. He really knew his food and his restaurant. He had us laughing and really added to our evening.Special Features:
- Went beyond normal serviceGigicanadaDined on 10/25/2014We went with our 18 months old daughter. She has some good allergy and the waiter went beyond the norm to find a safe dish for her to eat. He double checked with the kitchen to make sure it was safe without us having to ask for it And it was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good weekend brunchKronDined on 10/25/2014I made reservations easily online or a Saturday brunch beffet. It was for 10am and the restaurant was not yet busy at all so reservations may have been un-necessary but it did start to pack it in as the time progressed. Food was very good and you could tast the freshness of everything. Seafood display was very visually appealing. Selection of buffet items were on par with hotel and convention centres. All around it was a good experience and good meal. Will return next time we are in Calgary.Special Features:
- The food wasn't up to par.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014My dinner was undercooked. I asked for rare it came out blue! Not even a grill mark on the meat! I wont be back 4 a long time.Special Features:
- Not impressed. ShabbyJoansDined on 10/24/2014Potatoes, steak, seafood all had the same taste. I believe the chef favors a certain flavor which dominated all dishes.
- Always a great meal!!clodDined on 10/23/2014Another great meal at Smuggler's. Thank you for great service, ambience, and as always the food!! We love the big chairs and the fireplace as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent qualityLynn45Dined on 10/22/2014Smugglers has been on the Calgary scene for many years.The quality has always been consistently good. One of the few restaurants that still has a salad and soup bar .The lighting has improved but the décor is very dated. The food, however and value make this a great dining out experience, especially for those who enjoy their prime rib, which is probably the best in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YYC MeatheadsYYCMeatheadsDined on 10/18/2014Always a great meal! We brought our family that was visiting from eastern Canada for proper Alberta beef & they weren't disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smugglers Inn dininggood4friendsDined on 10/17/2014Great food. busy place. would have liked the waiter to have noticed when drinks running low instead of having to wave him down and ask. would have liked that Potatoe an automatic not as aside. loved having a salad bar.reasonable price for the cost. Some difficulty getting in and out of table with the big chairs however they moved easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Fabulous!livetoeatDined on 10/17/2014We always come to Smugglers Inn to celebrate a special occasion, as the food is consistently great and the service is fantastic. This time was no exception - our server was courteous & prompt, our food was fantastic - the prime rib was stellar! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuntvictoriaDined on 10/10/2014A little too noisy. Service was very good. Food was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014I've lived in Calgary for 47 years and I can't remember Calgary without Smugglers. ALWAYs great! Sometimes you wouldn't take reservations and that wasn't good but now you do. I love your soups especially Mallagatawny which only appears infrequently. One small criticism :- I don't like the chintzy tongs on the salad bar. Is that REALLY the way to improve your bottom line?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - Subpar Servicefoodie212Dined on 10/4/2014My first time here and my server failed to mention that there is a free soup and salad bar until after we ordered and ate a starter. The bathroom was super complicated to get to and you have to walk past people running food from the kitchen (making sure not to run into them). I also won a GC to the place and their gift card machine was down... Otherwise, the food was delicious and the decor is really interesting. A very unique, romantic setting, but left with a bitter aftertaste from the unfortunate service.Special Features:
- Group DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014We had a large group therefore lots of people to please. The meal was excellent well plated and excellent flavor, the service was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Calgary RestaurantReviewerVIPDined on 10/3/2014Smuggler's Inn has been open in Calgary for decades. It has been updated, but still has the 70's charm (giant chairs that look like thrones, dark interior) and classic food that is always good: prime rib, steak soup, salad bar. All excellent.Special Features:
- Unique spot and valueanniversarydinerDined on 10/2/2014Third time to Smuggler's Inn and again was not disappointed. The service was excellent and as always I feel it's quite good value. The quality of the food is excellent and without higher prices than most restaurants you get the salad and soup bar included. Keeps me going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime ribmaturecouple60Dined on 10/1/2014We both had the prime rib and it was incredible, great service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate Great TimesCmom65Dined on 9/30/2014Took my kids there for a great celebration dinner. Has only been there once before several years ago and wanted to replace the memory. Our server was happy and attentive. Busy for a Tuesday night, but I guess that's normal considering the facility size has been reduced to 1/3 of the original size. I'm not a big steak eater, but I made an exception for this occasion and I'm glad I did! Steak was very savory and delicious. Everyone was happy with their meal. HUGE dessert portions! The only disappointment was the decor. Purposely large and clunky in the dining room but old, worn and dank downstairs on the way to the washrooms. Carpet on walls? Not since the 70's and I sure didn't want to lean against the walls.... say no more.Special Features:
- DonsafanDined on 9/29/2014As usual, Amie and the gang were great as was our lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchCorianderVIPDined on 9/28/2014Wonderful selection & quality at Sunday brunch, and the service was great as usual. However, when are they going to renovate? Instead of sitting in the bright & airy Tango Bistro, we had to sit in the dark 1970's cave of Smugglers.Special Features: