6920 Macleod Tr. S
Calgary, AB T2H 0L3Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.smugglers.ca/
- Phone: 4032535355x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm; Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm; Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Saturday and Sunday Brunch: 9:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Gary Hennessey
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have on site facilities for groups of 20 and also have the ability to bring our world famous cuisine to off site locations. Several menus are offered in different price ranges, and our catering co-coordinator would be happy to discuss options and availability.
- Private Party Facilities: Special menus can be arranged through our catering department.
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Cooper 4032535355x
A word from Smuggler's Inn
Originally established in 1967, Smuggler's has been serving Alberta prime rib to several generations. Always a popular place for Calgarians to gather and celebrate, we are the preferred dining choice for birthdays, anniversaries, milestones or just meeting friends and family. Our prime rib is the main feature of our diverse menu, available all day, every day any way you like it. From a 7oz. prime rib sandwich, all the way up to a 48oz cut, our succulent prime rib is sure to please any appetite. Cajun blackened is always a popular choice, as is adding a lobster tail or side of garlic shrimp. Of course there is a creative selection of steaks, chicken and seafood to satisfy everyone. With a soup and salad bar included with every entree, not many guests leave hungry, but it would be a great idea if you saved room for one of our delicious desserts...even if you plan on sharing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Smuggler's Inn - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Smuggler's Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (99)good for groups (79)fit for foodies (58)romantic (50)great for brunch (49)neighborhood gem (36)great for lunch (25)kid-friendly (25)notable wine list (20)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (8)hot spot (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- YYC MeatheadsYYCMeatheadsDined on 10/18/2014Always a great meal! We brought our family that was visiting from eastern Canada for proper Alberta beef & they weren't disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smugglers Inn dininggood4friendsDined on 10/17/2014Great food. busy place. would have liked the waiter to have noticed when drinks running low instead of having to wave him down and ask. would have liked that Potatoe an automatic not as aside. loved having a salad bar.reasonable price for the cost. Some difficulty getting in and out of table with the big chairs however they moved easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Fabulous!livetoeatDined on 10/17/2014We always come to Smugglers Inn to celebrate a special occasion, as the food is consistently great and the service is fantastic. This time was no exception - our server was courteous & prompt, our food was fantastic - the prime rib was stellar! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuntvictoriaDined on 10/10/2014A little too noisy. Service was very good. Food was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014I've lived in Calgary for 47 years and I can't remember Calgary without Smugglers. ALWAYs great! Sometimes you wouldn't take reservations and that wasn't good but now you do. I love your soups especially Mallagatawny which only appears infrequently. One small criticism :- I don't like the chintzy tongs on the salad bar. Is that REALLY the way to improve your bottom line?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - Subpar Servicefoodie212Dined on 10/4/2014My first time here and my server failed to mention that there is a free soup and salad bar until after we ordered and ate a starter. The bathroom was super complicated to get to and you have to walk past people running food from the kitchen (making sure not to run into them). I also won a GC to the place and their gift card machine was down... Otherwise, the food was delicious and the decor is really interesting. A very unique, romantic setting, but left with a bitter aftertaste from the unfortunate service.Special Features:
- Group DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014We had a large group therefore lots of people to please. The meal was excellent well plated and excellent flavor, the service was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique spot and valueanniversarydinerDined on 10/2/2014Third time to Smuggler's Inn and again was not disappointed. The service was excellent and as always I feel it's quite good value. The quality of the food is excellent and without higher prices than most restaurants you get the salad and soup bar included. Keeps me going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime ribmaturecouple60Dined on 10/1/2014We both had the prime rib and it was incredible, great service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate Great TimesCmom65Dined on 9/30/2014Took my kids there for a great celebration dinner. Has only been there once before several years ago and wanted to replace the memory. Our server was happy and attentive. Busy for a Tuesday night, but I guess that's normal considering the facility size has been reduced to 1/3 of the original size. I'm not a big steak eater, but I made an exception for this occasion and I'm glad I did! Steak was very savory and delicious. Everyone was happy with their meal. HUGE dessert portions! The only disappointment was the decor. Purposely large and clunky in the dining room but old, worn and dank downstairs on the way to the washrooms. Carpet on walls? Not since the 70's and I sure didn't want to lean against the walls.... say no more.Special Features:
- DonsafanDined on 9/29/2014As usual, Amie and the gang were great as was our lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchCorianderVIPDined on 9/28/2014Wonderful selection & quality at Sunday brunch, and the service was great as usual. However, when are they going to renovate? Instead of sitting in the bright & airy Tango Bistro, we had to sit in the dark 1970's cave of Smugglers.Special Features:
- Nothing specialwobblehDined on 9/27/2014Went to Smugglers after a few years hiatus. The food was average at best. i think the appeal to most people is the salad bar but that was pretty average as well...especially quality-wise. I also don't understand the point in having 2 hostesses plus a (I'm assuming manager) at the front if only one is able to assist you. Service from our server was the most disappointing part of the evening. The server blatantly gave much more attention to a larger table beside us. I more than likely will not go back.Special Features:
- Prime rib roastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Large portion, very tender and cook to all our different requirements Excellent service, very friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArunDined on 9/23/2014I have been to Smuggler's several times. Every time It has been a good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always what you expect!altagalDined on 9/21/2014Smugglers has never changed -- the food is good, service is fine -- and soup/salad bar is tasty and a bonus that it is included with the main course.Special Features:
- Always DeliciousHappydinerDined on 9/21/2014My family and I come here for special occasions and they never disappoint! They have a wide selection of soups and salads that is a buffet. Their prime rib is the best in the city! The restaurant is a bit dark so it causes a little trouble when reading the menu. Service is consistently pleasant. We will continue to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place to celebrate.EatoutinyycDined on 9/21/2014As usual a great night out. Food was awesome, salad/soup bar was very good. Celebrating our Son and Fiancées engagement. Waitress congratulated them and bought over a special dessert for them to share. Very impressed with everything. You can't go wrong with the Smugglers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime Rib LeaderThugorDined on 9/19/2014I have been to Smugglers Inn dozens of time and they always hit the mark with there Prime Rib. Order the big Cuts... Doggie bag...Prime Rib Sandwich for lunch the next day!!Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Food was outstanding as always. Service was also outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good timeLadybugcecVIPDined on 9/14/2014We have enjoyed Smuggler's for years. Always a great place to get great Alberta beef. We came here this past weekend to take my mom out for supper because she wanted prime rib. She was not disappointed. Very nice service. The only negative is that the chairs are huge and it can be hard to get in/out of them while holding a plate of food from the salad bar as they are quite a tight fit, but honestly it's so minor because the food is always lovelySpecial Features:
- Service is backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Going out to eat is a special event for me. I have a diet limitation that few restaurants bother to cater to. Last time I went to Smugglers the service and food quality were not up to par. They very apparently read the review I left last time and fixed the problems. Food was great and service (our waiter was Justin) was stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cold foodjangeobrownDined on 9/14/2014The food was cold and the containers were empty. I counted three containers empty and the ones that were full were overcooked and cold. I will not take in another brunch at that restaurant. We mentioned to the waitress about the cold food and the empty containers. It was quite a disappointment to us as we had invited our friends to join us.
- Way to long between visitstoolongbetweenvisitsDined on 9/13/2014As we live west of Edmonton now, we don't get to Calgary enough. Smugglers Inn is our #1 choice for a meal out. We love the soup, salad bar and particularly the prime rib. We are literally full for two days.Special Features:
- BrunchchingDined on 9/13/2014We came around 1pm which is late apparently for there not much selection.We planned for nice lunch but we didn't know that its all brunch buffet for Saturday and Sunday.
- First Times a Charmfoodie4lifeDined on 9/11/2014Was looking for a nice restaurant to take my mother and grandmother who were in from out if town to. I went online to look for a restaurant in the area and had decided on Smugglers based on the good reviews. Everything from start to finish was amazing. Our server Terry was actually an acquaintance with one of the diners at our table and the service was impeccable. And then there was the food!!!! To die for ! My 82 year old grandmother said it was the best birthday dinner she had ever had (and that's a lot of birthday dinners). Will absolutely be back! Hopefully date night next time.Special Features:
- RecommendedRomanoDined on 9/7/2014Server was efficient and polite. Food (primary rib) was cooked properly and was not late (15min.wait). Salad bar had a good selection and dessert (brownie) was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!nverkDined on 9/7/2014Had a great time at brunch with my fiance, service was fantastic. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- randomDined on 9/6/2014It would be a better ambiance and noise level as an adult dining experience especially at dinner. The obvious goal of this restraunt is to be a fine dining experience in the evening, that requires children only at lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmugglersdinekingDined on 9/6/2014I'm not sure what has changed since the last visit a few years ago, but it was not good. Ordered a prime rib (their specialty) and asked for medium well. When steaks arrived it was VERY WELL DONE. I would expect better from a renowned steak house. Not only over cooked but extremely dry and bland. My wife ordered a smaller cut of prime rib and hers was undercooked. I'm not sure what has happened since our last visit but it was not for the better. May not return for anniversary next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steak houseunderwhelmedDined on 9/5/2014It's not too fancy. But it's not rundown at all. It's your classic steak house. Traditional salad bar. Big meaty steaks. Side dishes to match. My husband and I had a very nice dinner.
- Good food and good servicesGreatDined on 9/5/2014Thanks for looking after me and my guests's needs last Friday. All my guests enjoyed their food and the salad bar. Booking an early reservation, 5:15 p.m., really helps. The restaurant was quiet and the server had more time to help us with our orders. In general, we had a great time! MoSpecial Features:
- We love It here!AlanaDined on 9/3/2014I've been going to Smugglers for over 20 years, it's changed a lot over that time. It went through a bit of a rough period a few years back, but has figured things out again! Now that I have a family of my own this has become my kids (age 10, 13) restaurant of choice for their birthday dinner or any special occasion over the last couple of years. My son and my favorite is the garlic Parmesan crusted steak, my husband gets the first mates blackened Cajun, daughter is a rib girl. They have great soups to start and their salad bar is decent..... Although I am sad they no longer have the wasabi dressing anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodELAINEDined on 9/3/2014It was great as always Stuffed potato was cold Excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunchlulu25Dined on 8/31/2014We went for brunch. We have visited the restaurant for dinner but never for brunch. Overall the food was good. My kids loved it but I felt I wish they keep the same level of quality that you find in the regular restaurant. Either way it was a good experience. My kids are quite fuzzy eaters and they really enjoy it. They are asking to go back. Another thing is that you are charge $1.25 x the age of the child. I thought it was a great idea as my 12 year old doesn't eat the same as my 5 year oldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!MicheleMDined on 8/31/2014They have a wonderful selection for brunch however make sure you come hungry otherwise it may not be worth the $22 per person. Recommend reservations as they are given better seating (nice booths, close to buffet). Handicapped bathrooms are okay but a tight squeeze with low toilets. Overall would recommend and we will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Andymaui2013Dined on 8/30/2014The overall experience was excellent as we had not visited Smugglers for a very long time and are asking ourselves why it has been missing from our dining scene. That has been rectified by our last visit and we will be returning a lot over the foreseeable future.Special Features:
- Decline in qualityFoodie2Dined on 8/30/2014Smugglers inn has been our special occasion restaurant for many years. The ambiance and food are classic however we have noticed a decline in the quality of the salad bar. On our last visit the salad was wilted, the steak soup had no steak in it and the jello was mangled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same good food as alwaysSuzyyannieDined on 8/29/2014We were disappointed that the patio was closed on what was probably our last opportunity this summer to sit outside and have a drink in sunny, warm weather. But, we were given a nice table inside and the food was great, as always.Special Features:
- CelebrationericDined on 8/28/2014We booked for a group of 6 to celebrate a friends Birthday. Food was fantastic n so were the selections for drinks. Highly recommend this to celebrate any occasions. Server was good but did forget a few of our drinks as people staggered in for our table.Special Features: