Smokestack Urban Barbecue
139 Green Street
Worcester, MA 01604Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Smokestack Urban Barbecue
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bbqstack.com/
- Phone: 5083631111
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Richard Romaine
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service catering available.
A word from Smokestack Urban Barbecue
SMOKESTACK IS NOW CLOSED WHILE PREPARING FOR OUR MOVE TO 139 GREEN STREET, WORCESTER. WE'RE LOOKING FORWARD TO SERVING YOU AT OUR NEW LOCATION IN EARLY NOVEMBER.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Smokestack Urban Barbecue reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great FoodRevjudithDined on 10/9/2012We love this place -- well-prepared food with authentic BBQ in several regional variations. The shrimp-and-grits appetizer is great, as are the fried pickles... We also love it that they serve Wormtown Pale Ale (Worcester's hometown brewery...). A great place to meet friends for a high-quality meal in casual, but classy, surroundings. The waitstaff is attentive but not intrusive, the prices are reasonable. What's not to like? Hmmm... on our most recent visit, the muzak was WAY to loud... Otherwise, a truly enjoyable evening in every respect.Special Features:
- Love this place. The menuKMacVIPDined on 10/8/2012Love this place. The menu seems to shrink every time we go, though. No St. Louis style ribs. No molasses BBQ sauce. No more blackened catfish. The catfish Creole is close. The sauce is good, but I wouldn't call it Creole.Special Features:
- The food was great. My groupOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012The food was great. My group had a lot of fun. Beer list had a lot of microbrews and the waiter seemed to know what he was talking about. Cant wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Restaurant was clean, ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/22/2012Restaurant was clean, ambiance relaxed, and staff was friendly and accommodating--even changing the channel on the TV nearest us to feature a specific football game. The food was good. BBQ was tasty (not the best we've ever had, but we're pretty picky) and the bread pudding was a pleasant surprise. A nice meal overall. We'll probably go again.Special Features:
- This was our 2nd time at theJerryDined on 9/22/2012This was our 2nd time at the Smokestack and we enjoyed it more than the first. The place, the people and the food are terrific. Our only regret is that they will be closing at the end of the month, moving to a new location on Green Street and not reopening until early November. A great place indeed!Special Features:
- Excellent food. Great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012Excellent food. Great service. Super appetizers and wonderful portions. We are repeat customers and will continue to frequent this great restaurant.Special Features:
- Unbelievably good BBQ. EverythingBostonFoodieVIPDined on 9/15/2012Unbelievably good BBQ. Everything from the baby back ribs to pulled pork to BBQ chicken salad is amazing. And a decent selection of craft beers (including a sampler option!). You'll need to let your pants out a few sizes after eating here a few times though!Special Features:
- good food, very friendly waitress,aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012good food, very friendly waitress,all left with doggie bags!!!!!!!!!
- The ribs were not great forOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/14/2012The ribs were not great for a BBQ place. It was pretty much average. The meat was not falling off the bone. The fried chicken was Amazing! I highly recommend the fried chicken.Special Features:
- Changed the menu again. RemovedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/8/2012Changed the menu again. Removed some of my favorites.Special Features:
- Food was delicious but waitressHappyhappyVIPDined on 9/1/2012Food was delicious but waitress was hurried even though the place wasn't busy. The cavernous, odd layout of tables felt cold and uninviting and waitstaff didn't improve on that. From our table we could see 4 or 5 employees standing around with not enough to do. We would have ordered second round of drinks but waitress didn't come back until we were done with our meals.
- Good food and kid friendly!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/12/2012Good food and kid friendly! Nice selection of beers and sunday buffet when you cant decide!Special Features:
- The food was great, the portionsJerryDined on 8/11/2012The food was great, the portions were generous, the service was good and the off street parking was definitely an added plus. What is not to like about The Smokestack Urban Barbeque? We will return again and again until we sample their enire delicious menu. Go, eat, enjoy!Special Features:
- Unbelievably good barbecueBostonFoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2012Unbelievably good barbecue food. Can't go wrong with anything on the menu. Apple slaw was very tasty as a side. For dessert, beignet's dipped in chocolate sauce were amazing. And it's in a really nice little pocket of high end bars and restaurants in Worcester.Special Features:
- Second time here and the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2012Second time here and the food and service were just as terrific. This place is a gem!Special Features:
- Food was amazing, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2012Food was amazing, service was fast and staff was helpful and present, but not overbearing. Very happy with our dinner and we will be back again.Special Features:
- Very good food, almost likeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2012Very good food, almost like being in New Orleans!! Service is great, and you just can't beat 5.00 drink speicals.Special Features:
- Excellent and Well RecommendLucyDined on 7/16/2012Great dining experience. Server made great suggestions which were spot on. Everything came out cooked to order and at perfect temp. For the entire party or 6. Excellent taste. Love the ability to add just the amount and flavor sauce per individual. Will certainly dine again!Special Features:
- Rib DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2012Started the meal with the fried pickles appetizer. Excellent choice if you like that sort of thing. I ordered 1/2 rack of ribs which comes with 2 sides. I chose the cajun potato salad and collard greens (which were $1 extra because they were not on the list of choices for the ribs). The sides were excellent and were the better part of my meal. Meats are cooked with a dry rub, so it was a little tough cutting the ribs apart to eat. I'm used to meat that literally falls off of the bone because it is cooked with the bbq sauce. Not so here. The meat was dry and hard to cut. Sauces are in a bucket at the table to be squeezed on your food. I'd rate the ribs a 5 out of 10 because they were tough to cut. The overall experience was gooSpecial Features:
- Great service, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2012This was our second visit and each time our server was outstanding. They are friendly, courteous, and professional (know the food and the drinks and are able to make good recommendations). Our server was attentive but not hovering. I love the french fries (seasoned only with plain salt) and the pulled port is awessome. I had the brisket and it was a bit on the lean side (dry) but that was easily remedied with the delicious bourbon-molasses sauce. I also sampled the pulled port taco and this is a winner. I will order this myself next time we go. It is situated in what I would call an industrial setting but the streets are being improved and there are trendy clubs in the area. Clearly it is in a area that is in transition.Special Features:
- Our first visit to S.U.B wasUpdateVIPDined on 6/28/2012Our first visit to S.U.B was greeted with much anticipation. My family is big on barbecue! When we entered we loved the decor and fun atmosphere. The menu looked great and we each tried our favorites. However, we were not overwhelmed by the food. The food was good, but not as good as other spots we have been. Maybe we are BBQ snobs! Still is a fun place to go and food by no means was "horrible".
- I brought my husband and twoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2012I brought my husband and two teenagers here for Father's Day. Loved it. The food is authentic, slow-cooked barbecue. Not an extensive menu, but all of our meals were delicious! Good service as well.Special Features:
- Central MA now has solid BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2012Parking lot was already filling up but early on a Fri night but had no trouble getting a table since most folks were outside having drinks. Booths are comfortably oversized & provide ample room for bigger folks. The building (formerly a car dealership) was very inviting, rustic & still slightly industrial. Good craft beer list. Fried pickles were awesome- cut round to a good thickness & batter was very crisp/crunchy. St. Louis Ribs were fall-off-the-bone good. Choice of a few homemade BBQ sauces are on the table- all highly recommended. Entrees come with choice of 2 sides + cornbread. BBQ beans were great, apple slaw has quite a vinegar-ey zing to it which I appreciated. Too full for dessert but bread pudding is on list to try.Special Features:
- Atmosphere is nice and open,StephNYDined on 6/9/2012Atmosphere is nice and open, had 'warehouse' type feel. The food was great, with the St. Louis style ribs, excellent. Price very reasonable. Service very good; attentive server.Special Features:
- The over-the-top fries mayOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/6/2012The over-the-top fries may be the best appetizer around, but make sure you bring a crowd, or you won't be able to eat your meal.
- Best Brisketscrabblenut19Dined on 5/31/2012Wanted to eat outside but despite a request on Open Table you can't reserve outdoor tables, FYI. We've been there several times so they had sent us a 20% anniversary coupon. My husband is from Texas so he knows good BBQ and this place has it! We kind of filled up on appetizers so be careful; they are pretty hefty. Chicken wings were amazing; they are smoked for two hours before being deep-fried. We have a smoker and were so inspired we tried it at home - successfully! Brisket was awesome. Fried chicken was very good. Drinks are good value. Could have done without the screaming kids as there was a family party on one side of the restaurant, but what can you do? We know we'll always get a good meal here!Special Features:
- I always love coming to thisKMacVIPDined on 5/20/2012I always love coming to this place. Good barbecue is hard to find. A couple of little nits to pick -- waiter did not mention the buffet that was available, service started slow as they were still transitioning from their afternoon Beach Party, and brisket was a bit dry (I've had really good brisket here and dry brisket -- it's a been hit or miss). Portions are always generous. Fried pickels & BBQ chips with blue cheese/bacon dipping sauce are family's favorite appetizers.Special Features:
- First and probably last visit...OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/17/2012This was our first time at the restaurant. We tried the barbeque since that is the featured menu item. We ordered the half chicken and a rack of ribs so we could each try both items. Unfortunately they were both sub-par, the chicken was dry and the ribs were very fatty. Our server was very nice, attentive and the food was served super-fast. Also, the sauces on the side allowed you to try different flavors without committing to just one. All in all the experience was very disapointing.Special Features:
- Split Seating for a ReservationOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/12/2012We had a reservation for 4 people under my name. My wife and I arrived first, mentioned our reservation, and were seated at a table in a dark room between the bar and the main restaurant - the music from the speaker immediately above the table was quite loud. When we asked to be seated at another table, we were told that none were available, except in the bar or outside. Our two friends arrived after us, used my name for the reservation, and were seated at a different table in the main restaurant! We only found each other when my friend started searching the restaurant because we are never late. Needless to say, this was a rather unpleasant beginning to our evening. While the food was good, our server also disappeared for long periods.
- The ribs were very dry, whichOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2012The ribs were very dry, which suprised me as this place specializes in BBQ. Other than that I liked the place, but wont bother ording BBQ next time I go.
- Had a great time! Four adultsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/5/2012Had a great time! Four adults and two kids. Food was great - service was excellent. Have been here three times now and have always had a great meal. This time we went earlier with the kids, and atmosphere was good for the kids. Other times went later in the evening and mood was more suited for adults. Well done!
- The food was very good- IOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/28/2012The food was very good- I have the pulled pork my husband has the fried chicken steak and he loved it and he is a very picker eater!Special Features:
- After seeing a Phontom reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/28/2012After seeing a Phontom review I was looking forward to a great barbecue meal. The food was good but not a good as the Phontom reviewed. Appetizers came out fast but we had to wait for the ribs. They were good, side were plenty but failed to live up to the Phontom review. Drinks were tasty.
- Yummy!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2012The food was excellent. Great take on real BBQ!! great bar options too!!Special Features:
- great BBQ joint. excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2012great BBQ joint. excellent ribs, lean, meaty, well smoked , sauce on the side is a good idea, good beer list. Liked the apple slaw. Easy place to hang out atSpecial Features:
- Great place for BBQ!!! A reallyVeronicaVIPDined on 3/31/2012Great place for BBQ!!! A really fun place to go too with really great food. Our server, Rebecca, was excellent!!! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- We were looking for good barbecueOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/31/2012We were looking for good barbecue and we found it! The atmosphere was perfect for a smoke house and the food was very good. We will be going back and recommending Smokestack to others as well.Special Features:
- Will go againOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/23/2012The Bar-B-Que food was good, baby back ribs very good, beef brisket went well with the sauces provided in the pail on the table. The barbeque chicken was dried out, that might be a new process, but it was hard to eat. Overall, a good meal and good service.Special Features:
- What barbecue should beOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/18/2012For great barbecue at a good price, Smokestack is the place. We ordered off the menu and also enjoyed the Sunday buffet. Mmmm, good!Special Features:
- Nice place, service is friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/17/2012Nice place, service is friendly (but not fast, BBQ takes a bit longer), great beer selection.Special Features: