Smoke + Cedar
2013 South Cedar Street, Suite 100
Tacoma, WA 98405Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Smoke + Cedar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.smokeandcedar.com/
- Phone: 2533436090x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Mon-Fri 7am - 11am, Sat + Sun 7am -10am
Brunch: Sat + Sun 10am - 3pm
Lunch: Mon-Fri: 11am - 2pm
Dinner: Daily 5pm - Close
Bar: Daily 11am - Close
Happy Hour: 11am - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Northwest, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Smoke + Cedar
SMOKE + CEDAR is casual dining with seriously delicious food, and a high energy level; it is FUN Dining not Fine dining--a place to hang out to eat + drink with good friends. The food can be described as modern American comfort food, freshly made and with a Chef’s attention to great quality and flavors. The drink menu features hand-shaken/stirred specialty cocktails that are delicious as well as affordable. And all of these details are filtered through the prism of a modern NW lodge— The room is buzzing, fantastic quality + reasonable prices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Smoke + Cedar - Best Restaurants in Tacoma ›
Smoke + Cedar reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (47)scenic view (40)great for lunch (34)fit for foodies (34)great for brunch (32)special occasion (32)good for groups (31)neighborhood gem (27)vibrant bar scene (8)romantic (8)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)notable wine list (5)hot spot (4)Show More
- Great place for a quick bitebirthdaygirlsDined on 8/28/2014Great location, interesting menu, beautiful setting and yummy food. PerfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too bad the food is terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014This is a lovely restaurant with a great view of the golf course. The staff is amazing and the service quite good. It is too bad that the food is terrible. The "roasted" vegetables as a side dish seemed to be boiled from a frozen package. The main courses were over cooked, dry and had no flavor. The kitchen needs to be up the game or people will not be returning no matter how good the service.Special Features:
- YummysmbmaxVIPDined on 8/24/2014We really enjoyed our meal here and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to like it, but couldn'tTac253Dined on 8/16/2014The food was terrible, and for a restaurant that was nearly empty, the service left a lot to be desired. We had read about the "smoke-infused" style of food and drink, and were very interested to try it. The smoke, however, was overwhelming. It overpowered the food and made it difficult to eat. The restaurant setting and decor was nice, but we expected much better service given it was nearly empty.
- Nice for Tacoma....VivaDined on 8/10/2014This was my first experience of dining at Smoke + Cedar. It is a beautiful restaurant. I was disappointed with the coffee and the small amount of cream that was provided. My friend was also disappointed in her Mimosa which arrived flat (without bubbles) and was served in a wine glass as opposed to a champagne glass. I enjoyed one of the scrambles and a side dish of potatoes both of which were delicious. The place is pretty enough to want to return to check out additional menu items. Plus, the experience made me want to get my golf clubs out of storage:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant timeduckDined on 8/7/2014We enjoyed a nice evening with great service, interesting food and a really nice atmosphere. The place wasn't very busy but if it was it is so well appointed it would be just as pleasant.Special Features:
- DrPhilDrPhilDined on 8/3/2014Smoke + Cedar is located on the Allenmore Golf Course. It's a very nice building and the restaurant is attractive looking out upon the golf course. The service was very good. The food? Not so much. We both ordered the prime rib omelet and it was OK, but not terribly good. The hash browns were tasty at first, but then we got both snoots full of sage that turned us off. The apple smoked bacon was tasty but greasy. The only thing we really liked was the biscuits and gravy. We will not return.
- GmamaDined on 8/1/2014We had planned an early movie followed by dinner at Smoke + Cedar and made reservations accordingly. Our plan went haywire when the projector at the movie broke. We decided to go directly to the restaurant instead of trying to fill the time prior to dinner. The staff at Smoke + Cedar was understanding and accommodating despite this being a busy Friday night. We sat outside in their large, covered patio area which provided a view of the golf course. The patio is open yet sheltered from the sun as well as the rain and wind. Our server was friendly and knowledgable. The menu offers familiar favorites with a twist. Bar menu was creative and each of the drinks we ordered was delicious. We look forward to going back for another fun evening!Special Features:
- New, needs to step it upPugetSoundchowhoundDined on 7/26/2014Our party of 4 had made advanced reservations. We were seated promptly on the deck in a less than stellar location overlooking the parking lot. There were several tables overlooking the golf course that were empty though as was most of the restaurant. Our server was fairly prompt in taking our drink and dinner orders. However, we waited endlessly for our meal to be served. The place was practically empty so I have to think that the kitchen was just very inefficient. I ordered the gf version of the shrimp which meant that they just left off the toasted french bread. It really needed a starch to soak up the sauce. Waitress was not helpful when I tried to ask her about this. Overall, it took long 2 hours. Needs refining and some better mgmt.Special Features:
- needs some workmenumamaDined on 7/26/2014Smoke n Cedar is an average restaurant that needs a menu revamping. The alacarte menu is small and not at its best choices. Rubbery calamari in a great buttery sauce chicken wings that should be on a bar menu a bread and butter. The main course selection was average, nothing spectacular and prepared the same. The wait staff and bar was amazing but I would expect nothing less since it is adjacent to the Elks. I hate to see such a beautiful place fail but unless the menu gets an overhaul I for see another Tacoma restaurant fading away into the fairway.Special Features:
- all the staff were fantastic!rdbfandoDined on 7/25/2014The staff were great! They had an outside table reserved for us just in case we wanted to dine outdoors, which we did. When it got a little breezy they moved us next to the fireplace and fired it up for us. The food was perfect: prime rib, the scatta platta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Way to Start Your Workdaycme4loansDined on 7/25/2014Looking for a great breakfast to enjoy before your busy day? I was. I found it right here. The menu had all of the main breakfast fare with a few chef-created dishes too. I chose the SF Joe's scramble. My wife had the frittata. Both our our selections had generous portion of ingredients and sufficient in size to take for left-overs for breakfast the next day. Great coffee, 2 choices of bacon on menu: I had my choice of 2 strips of applewood-smoked or 3 of "average" (their word on menu) bacon. Looking out over the golf course provided a nice serenity before heading off to work. I look forward to returning many times in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale brunch reasonably pricedEat253Dined on 7/20/2014The food was delicious and inventive, but accessible in both flavor and price. Our group of four had an adult beverage each (it's called Boozy Brunch for a reason!), appetizer and four entrees plus coffee and our bill was $106. For the amount and quality of food, this was a great value. They didn't skimp on the portions either--three of us had to take home part of our meals. Very enjoyable atmosphere--for once a restaurant that is not too loud! Parking Tip: the lower lot looks full due to golf course parking, but the upper level parking is mostly open for restaurant diners.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchFrugal6Dined on 7/13/2014We went for brunch on Sunday. The food was good, but I asked for spinach in my omelet which they forgot to put in so I had to get it on the side instead. The French toast was overpriced for just two pieces of bread. No eggs, hashbrowns or toast included. The ambiance was nice and the servers were good. An okay experience overall.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Stella was such a great server......didn't mind all our questions and anticipated our needs. Dean, the barmaster, talked with us for a good amount of time, also. What a gem he is.......his drinks and his personality are fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place in the Tacoma community.blackirishDined on 7/12/2014New updated everything. Interesting decor. Great service. Food was portioned correctly and well prepared. Menu has variety but is not over done. Went for brunch only on a Saturday so far and will be going again. No complaints. The only thing I saw was that it is still a very new place and as such staff was just a tad bit stiff. Very nice and will trained just not 100% comfortable yet with the new operations. I have no doubt that this will change shortly and certainly didn't stand out. Definitely go!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited Dinner OptionsNurse1Dined on 7/11/2014It was our first time there for dinner. Our waitress was very good and very patient. Your choices for dinner were very limited. Dinner was good. A bucket of shrimp with only 10 shrimp???Special Features:
- Local ingredients; on the greenKersiDined on 7/9/2014Lovely restaurant on a lush green golf course with great service, locally source ingredients & delicious food. The only gripe I'd have is that the kitchen closes too early - the restaurant could capitalize on al-fresco dining especially in the summer months to perhaps close the kitchen @ 10pm instead of 9pm ?Special Features:
- Delicious!smbmaxVIPDined on 7/3/2014We will definitely be back. The food was wonderful! We loved the decor and atmosphere as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and tasty!DininDivaDined on 6/28/2014Interesting small menu during happy hour and fast service. Waitstaff worked as a team to clear dishes from all tables. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice.SuemarieDined on 6/28/2014Greeting was very nice, then we were invisible for a long wait for water, then more waiting for wine order. Very apologetic for the delay. After that it was great. The food was wonderful and well priced, and the menu was inviting. I would like to try breakfast and lunch. It is a very pretty, NW type of place. It was very busy and there were people of all ages and some families as well. Very casual. We liked it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Prime RibOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/22/2014We have now decided Smoke + Cedar is now our favorite local restaurant. Fabulous and creative cocktails, smoked olives, and the best prime rib I have ever had. And that's coming from a foodie! Love this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service SlowmissdiDined on 6/22/2014We visited Smoke & Cedar on a recent Sunday for breakfast. We had a reservation, it wasn't busy but still waited at the hostess stand for 10 minutes to be seated. After sitting for another 10 minutes we received water and an offer of beverages and MENUS. If we had been seated with menus, I'm sure at least two of us would have ordered beverages. Two parties, that we could see, came in after us were served before we were. The food was good but we had to ask for salt & pepper, jam, more coffee and water.
- A Wonderful ExperienceEwittmeDined on 6/16/2014We were there for lunch. The menu covered all of our desires (4). The food was attractive, hot and delicious. Our server was attentive, friendly but never obtrusive. We are going back for dinner on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smoke but no firembtacomaDined on 6/15/2014I was so anxious to try Smoke + Cedar and had been told by several to try the restaurant's Scatta Platta ... My husband and I read over the small menu and decided YES, it was the fish platter for us. We each ordered one ... only to have our waitress return to tell us the kitchen only had one left. Fine. I ordered shrimp scampi. It took 45 minutes for our appetizer to be delivered. Apologies came from our waitress and a dining room supervisor. Then another 20ish minutes for our entrees. They were fine. The fish platter was FAR tastier than the scampi -- which was kind of unremarkable. We'll try again ... and hope the kitchen is fully stocked next time!Special Features:
- 2nd visit disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/15/2014I had been to the Pacific Grill the night before and had a wonderful dinner with great service, so when our group went for Father's Day dinner I was expecting the same level of service. Wrong! Our server hardly said two words to our group - no greeting, no interaction. Drinks were watered down and as bad as the service. I had been to S+C the week they first opened and had a good experience but this was inexcusable. Food was what our group was expecting, but we couldn't get over the poor service and how long it took to get our food. We won't be going back. Too bad, the decor of the place is cool!Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Love the food here! Unique and exciting menu. Definitely recommend the chicken fried steak and dirty fries. Our only complaint was that when we checked in for our reservations we were told it was a fully booked evening and that we would be seated shortly. They encourage us to wait in the bar. We didn't. About 10 min later we were seated at a table that had been ready for us the whole time because it had a reserved sign on it. We noticed that others had the same thing happen. We felt like they were trying to squeeze a couple of more dollars out of us by waiting in the bar. We could be totally off base, but that was the impression we got. None the less, the food made up for it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time guest - loved it!SeafoodSusieDined on 6/15/2014Our server was fantastic!! Attended for Father's Day dinner, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Unique cocktails and appetizer choices, and no issue with minor modifications to sauces when requested. Nice selection of entrees that met varied tastes.....Steelhead was superbly prepared, and the Prime Rib looked amazing. Scattah Platter contained a large amount of assorted seafood, and also got good remarks. The Greek Orzo was hearty and tasty too. It was fun to watch the golfers out on the course while dining. We spent 2 hours dining, and were never rushed along - very relaxing experience. The decor feels like a friends hunting lodge - inviting and comfortable. Can't wait to go back and try more items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Marginal ServiceSeniorDinerVIPDined on 6/15/2014My spouse and I had an early breakfast here on Father's Day. The waitress did not greet us for Father's Day or explain any of the breakfast items on the menu. It was our first visit for breakfast. Frittata and Belgium waffle were good. When asked to box my frittata to take home, the server forgot my request. We waited for several minutes, did not see her, and decided to leave. The other waitress near us was a lot more attentive and could have made this Father's Day breakfast a favorable day. As it is, it was a good breakfast but nothing notable to remember or excite us to come back.Special Features:
- Not top 10 listPenny4mythoughtsDined on 6/14/2014Our server did a good job keeping us informed when the bar was behind and there was a delay getting our drink order out to us. My main disappointment was with the food. I had the pasta papa and wouldn't order it again or recommend it to someone else. My wife ordered the shrimp scampi and thought it was "ok". Perhaps steaks and burgers are the better dishes on the menu. Not sure if I'd give this one another try.Special Features:
- Wasn't bad, but wasn't specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014Although having a reservation we had to sit and wait for 5-10 mins...As we were being brought in we noticed a abundant amount of open tables...A lil confused, but soon got over it...As an app we ordered some bread and BBQ wings...wings were familiar, and the bread was, well, bread...For our entrees I got the steelhead and the wife got the seafood platter...My salmon was phenomenally cooked, and flavors were that of smoke and perfectly seasoned...the platter was that of any place that fries a bunch of food and sticks it on a plate...my wife got over it quickly...too much fried stuff for her...we finished off the night with a banana tart and a Choco cake, both, just ok...Overall, it was a nice dinner...nothing more, nothing less...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/10/2014We had reservations but still had to wait for our table even though the restaurant was empty. The service was slow and the portions were a bit small.
- Front Desk ConfusionBallardDinerDined on 6/8/2014I made a reservation and changed it from 4 people to 6. The front desk told me they couldn't seat two parties of 6 at the same time. When we arrived a bit prior to our reservation, the restaurant was empty (our reservation time for dinner was quite early). We were told to have a seat at the bar and re-check in at our appropriate time - what? They did come find us in the fairly empty bar and take us to our table. We were seated right near the kitchen entrance. We weren't offered outdoor seating even though there was plenty available. Flip side was the food was really tasty and the service was attentive. It did take a long time to get refills on any beverages.Special Features:
- Wait timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014The food and service was great however, my wife and I made reservations and when we arrived noticed that the restaurant was not very busy. The hostess still had us wait 5 to 10 minutes before we were seated. The restaurant is at a golf course. unless it is after all the tee times, seat your guests immediately.Special Features:
- Review 1SunshineDined on 6/5/2014Had a great steak for dinner. Enjoyed the golf course view from a spacious booth. Great cocktail and wine choice. Menus descriptive and variedSpecial Features:
- Go!emoskimoDined on 6/1/2014This was my first visit to Smoke + Cedar. Want to go back to try breakfast and/or happy hour soon. The service shone, food and overall experience were memorable and way above average. My brother-in-law absolutely loved his chicken fried steak and my prosciutto wrapped prawns were delicious. I usually order two drinks, but one strong April Showers was sufficient. Great quirky decor and a piece of art in the bar with a funny saying about brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchAnnieBDined on 6/1/2014We had brunch at Smoke and Cedar last Sunday. The food was excellent. Service was slow. It took 30 minutes for a Bloody Mary to arrive and the drink had to be sent back because the celery stick was pretty dead. Once she got the drink back, my wife didn't care for the drink and said it had too much horseradish in it and didn't drink much of it. The server never asked if there was a problem with the drink. Overall a good experience and we will go back.Special Features:
- AWESOME!KarienaDined on 6/1/2014We went for breakfast and it was amazing. Great food and perfect attention to the use of spices and flavor profile.Special Features:
- Great meal, but everything is extraworks2eatDined on 5/31/2014We were seated outdoors; setting was great and the noise level was low. We had the smoked olives as an appetizer - fabulous - and I asked for bread (also very good). On the menu bread lists for $2, and I thought maybe if a table ordered an appetizer, salad, four dinners and drinks, the bread would be included. Not. And I wanted to substitute the fridge fried rice for the potatoes the potatoes accompanying my meal. Potatoes and rice are the same price on the menu, but to sub, it is an added $2. The steak I had was scrumptious and my husband thought the steelhead was one of the best meals he has ever had. Prices were reasonable for a dining experience of this caliber, but, I did feel a little nickel-and-dimed.Special Features:
- Good but limitedFirsttime1Dined on 5/24/2014The food was delicious but it would be nice to see more vegetarian options. For example the steelhead (I do eat fish) came with spinach with ham hock aioli. Vegetarian spinach was on the "sides" menu, yet I was told it wasn't available, at lest with the steelhead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.