110 South Lake Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.smittysgrill.com/
- Phone: 6267929999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Mon-Fri 11:30-2:30pm, Dinner Mon-Thu 5:30pm-9:30pm, Fri/Sat 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: For catering information please contact the restaurant.
- Private Party Facilities: Smitty's is the perfect place for any celebration or event, be it a birthday, anniversary, rehearsal dinner, bridal shower, holiday, wrap party, awards show reception, charity reception or corporate meeting.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Cisar 8774469541
A word from Smitty's Grill
The Smith Brothers bring you American comfort food at its best. Our menu features iron skillet cornbread, homemade chicken pot pie, BBQ baby back ribs, and more. Smitty's has always been defined by comfort, from the cozy booths and inviting bar, to the helpful staff who welcome each of our guests home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Smitty's Grill - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
Smitty's Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (80)special occasion (75)great for lunch (55)fit for foodies (41)good for groups (37)romantic (33)vibrant bar scene (31)great for outdoor dining (29)notable wine list (28)hot spot (27)late-night find (9)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- nice to grab a biteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2014This place has a great bar, i have noticed a lot of people just go and sit at the bar and read. barkeeps are helpful and nice. Had to stand at the main desk last time for several minutes, the person and a server were talking in in the back. The menu is limited but the food is great. The staff here are somewhat attentive, but never what i would call warm. In the main dinning area the noise level is a problem, its too loud to cary on a conversation. Sit at the bar in front of the kitchen, and watch the food being prepared. The tables in the back rooms are better for noise level and there are a few outside tables in the front, that appear forgotten by the servers at times and wonderful tables in the back outside. parking is great .Special Features:
- Book Now, Enjoy Later27altoidsDined on 9/29/2014Smitty's has a lot of facets to its operations: a bustling bar, spacious dining rooms doing big business on the weekends, a private dining room for events that was hopping and a couple of patios (front and back) that make you feel like you're in another part of the world (in a good way, not in a third-world country way). Chris, our server, was grand at fielding the requests of the six of us one Saturday night. Everything was tasty, save for the cheese bread, so skip that appetizer if you can. No after dinner drink menu (think scotches) but Chris had the bar down and was quick to answer any and all questions. A manager came by to make sure all was well, too, and that always goes a long way in my book. Well worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014We have eaten at Smitty's a number of times over the years, but it had been a while. We were pleasantly surprised this time to find that the food was definitely up a notch. Every dish the three of is had was excellent. There were also quite a few people there for a Sunday night, and we could understand why.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable, but not quietOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Everything makes Smitty's a great place. Setting, service, selection and quality of food. But it is not a place for a quiet, conversational meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentMartyDined on 9/27/2014We have been a few times and have always been pleased. The menu, a little different then most, as many items are throwbacks to what we had when we were growing up. Food is very good. Good selections. Almost everyone would like it there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time hereRegularVIPDined on 9/26/2014We haven't been to many Pasadena restaurants so picking Smitty's was a shot in the dark by referencing Open Table reviews. We were very happy with both the good quality and service. Prices were also a little more reasonable than say a Morton's type restaurant. Not that they have anything away..:). Baltimore crab cakes were 11 out of 10. Shrimp and calamari were awesome. My filet was cooked perfectly, my wife's fish was excellent and our guest's prime rib was perfect. We had the hot fudge sundae for dessert. It was actually a cold fudge sundae buy we still liked it. Time to get on the scale..again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biz MeetingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Smitty's was the Ideal location for my business meeting! We received great service, amazing food and nice friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmittyPJMcVIPDined on 9/23/2014Food was excellent as well as the service. It's our favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Our FavoriteCameronsDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I have been coming to Smitty's for a few years now. Each and every time we come, they never let us down. The service from Briana, Matthew and Jessica were top notch. We try to come here as often as we can for their Famous Chicken Pot Pie and wonderful wine selections. We are looking forward to dining again soon.Special Features:
- excellent overall experience.sflivetoeatDined on 9/13/2014fast friendly and experienced professional staff. One of the best martinis served in a long time. Definitely a place to share and take guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/10/2014Food and service very good. Service at the end could have been better - never asked or offered a dessert menu.Special Features:
- American home like foodMartyDined on 9/5/2014A lot of the foods that many of us have had at home, are offered here and the food is very good.Special Features:
- Great Pasadena RestaurantPattyDined on 9/5/2014If you are looking to take a friend, client or someone special in your life to a wonderful lunch or dinner this is the place to go! Classic and classy says it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PJMcVIPDined on 9/4/2014One of my favorites!!! we go there often and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Business meeting settingPCH168Dined on 9/2/2014I come here for business meetings & used to come here alot. They're usually pretty accommodating when it comes to needing special seating. They have a nice wine selection as well. We had cocktails & opened a bottle of red. It was a bit too much, but worth it. I always like hearing about the specials of the day...and 75% of the time, end up ordering from it.
- Great MenuPickyeater1VIPDined on 9/1/2014I do like a great restaurant that has a variety of selections and Smitty's absolutely meets that requirement. I originally went there craving seafood but I decided to try the Chicken Pot Pie (a great comfort food). Surprisingly, that is one menu item that can be really great or really terrible. Smitty's was delicious and aesthetically pleasing to look at as well! A nice spin on an old favorite. Lots of flavorful chicken (not bits... CHUNKS!). Same goes for the Chicken Cesar Salad which was purchased by another party at our table. The only downside was some really annoying music that was piped out on to the patio where we were seated. I needed earplugs at one point.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Exceptional service. I didn't notice that the date of my Open Table dinner reservation had changed when I moved up our reservation time. Maitre d' was exceptionally courteous and accommodating. We were shown to a table. While we were ordering drinks, she cleared up my online reservation and took care of our birthday celebration. Waiter was excellent. Calamari special was flavorful and SO tender. However, Herb chicken was little dry for hubby. Be aware, lighting is pretty dim.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliable and goodhatboxVIPDined on 8/31/2014Went last minute after a movie for a light (salad) supper and glass of wine. Everything was great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2014Seemed to have a new server who didn't pay much attention to us. Large party near-by was quite loud. Food was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasadena Local FavoriteChrisPasadenaDined on 8/27/2014By far one of my favorite local Pasadena restaurants. Great food and cocktails! My weekly spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy to have discovered the patioDiscerningDinerDined on 8/25/2014I had been here a couple of times before and knew that inside the restaurant is very noisy so I hesitated when making this reservation for a business dinner. Luckily, the patio was available and the weather was perfect for it because it was very quiet and serene outside; was able to have a good meeting without needing to shout at my client. Service was great; food was okay (my fish was over-cooked but the caprese salad and creme brûlée were marvelous!); ambience was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service top notch!Captainfun63Dined on 8/24/2014Not only is the food outstanding, but the service is exceptional! Not many places where the manager will take time from his day to sit down and talk to his customers making sure you're having a great time. Then to top it off, send over a surprise desert for my brothers birthday. This is how you keep customers!Special Features:
- Great FoodLuvryeDined on 8/23/2014This was our second time at Smitty's and on both occasions it was a wonderful experience. Great food- especially the fish. There aren't too many places that serve sand dabs and Smitty's serves them to perfection. And the bartenders really know their stuff. Cocktails are perfect and there is a high quality selection of good whiskey- especially Rye Whiskey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific spot!PianomanDined on 8/22/2014My wife booked a table for us and two friends for last Friday night. They seated us right away when we arrived, and the evening was perfect, right down to the handwritten note already at our table with my name on it, with good birthday wishes. The place is great. The ambience is perfect.. Busy but not too loud. They have everything in the menu that we like, and the servers are always quick, polite and knowledgable. We look forward to going there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodToniDined on 8/21/2014I love dropping into Smitty's for lunch. It's down the street from my office and the food is great. It's a wonderful place to take clients. I love it because of the traditional steak house menu. And, the chicken pot pie is incredible! I have sat at the bar with friends and enjoyed their wonderful cocktails. Overall, it's a neighborhood gem and I would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paul Our Food ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/19/2014I lunched there with a client on past Tuesday. Paul had his A game working giving us a lovely service experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Second to NoneVinoForTwoPleaseVIPDined on 8/17/2014Smitty's is about comfort food at a gourmet level, it's about service with a friendly professional approach, but it's really about the experience of Smitty's. The great buzz at the bar, those amazing 'just made' potato chip, a well crafted cocktail or a glass of wine from their wonderful wine cellar. Always fun, always a special occasion and a staff that works hard to create an Experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back againPasoEdDined on 8/16/2014This was our 3rd trip to Smitty's and we've had excellent food and service each time. Love their down home menu and great variety of items. There is always something for everyone. Cocktails are prepared perfectly and the dinner specials are interesting and well worth trying.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014Great to celebrate a birthday. Card and flowers were on the table when we arrived. FANTASTIC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Prime Rib in PasadenaPasaFoodie25Dined on 8/12/2014I frequently search for a really good Prime Rib, and I have tried lots of restaurants in Pasadena. So far, Smitty's wins hands down. The Prime Rib was perfectly cooked and had amazing flavor. This would not be the place to go for a romantic dinner. I found it loud enough that I had to repeat myself several times for my friend to here me. However, it has a great vibe. It would be a great place to go with a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 10 on Sunday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014We had dinner for 10 on a Sunday night. I waited at the bar for the rest of my group to come. They were very very nice and welcoming. The food was very good. Our head waiter was excellent. The room was too cool for most of us, but then we didn't tell them. I'm sure they would have moved the temperature up. My bar wine was very good. Salmon and creme brulee were superb. Chocolate cake-ok. Ice cream very good. Excellent bread. The chicken was an enormous serving and extremely tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Business LunchNeighborDined on 8/5/2014Every lunch I have at Smitty's is the best! My clients love the atmosphere and the delicious food. They always have great specials and the food has always been fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SMITTYS NEEDS TO LEARN GROUP SKILLSYUMYUMDined on 8/1/2014I reserved for a party of 8 way in advance. We asked for separate checks. This did not happen. But back to the beginning, we were not brought bread and butter. ??? A party of 8 is not huge- and this was a Fri nite. Faux pas. I was busy hosting so I did not make an issue of it. I ordered one cocktail and was never offered the opportunity to order a second. ??? The steaks / filet mignon were great. The Chicken Pot Pie is too large and therefore unappetizing, according to the guest. Then came the checks -- what a mess. I picked up half the tab and wanted to split the remainder between the other couples/guests. Splitting the atom must have been easier. Our server disappeared before it was resolved. Overall as an experience it was confused.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal! I will return!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014Great for foodies! Everything was great! The bartender made the perfect Dirty Grey Goose Martini!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurantAdam7223Dined on 7/30/2014It was my first time dining at Smitty's Grill. The ambience and restaurant setting seems very nice. However, I am not too impressive with the service. The host sat us at a table between two smaller tables where my husband and I cannot even carry a conversation. We have to ask him to move us since there are many tables around and the restaurant was not busy. The food quality is about average. The server was OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smitty's worth the driveDrRevenueVIPDined on 7/29/2014Coming from W. LA to Pasadena is a real challenge, but meeting a good friend from Upland it makes sense to meet in Pasadena. And, meeting at Smitty's is a real treat. Adding Mr. Robert, the server, and great corn bread, beautiful roast beef and excellent mashed potatoes made this a terrific lunch with an old friend. It says Prime Rib only after 5:00 but Mr. Robert made it happen for lunch. The portion was very large so I saved 40% and had it for dinner--perfect for an older stomach.Special Features:
- Comfortable American CuisineeatznthingzDined on 7/24/2014Been going here since it opened and rarely have we been let down service or food wise. Last nite was no exception. My petite filet minion was one of the best steaks I've had in quite awhile. My wife said her white fish was excellent. We did the offered pre fix menu... nice offerings and with our salads, entree's and desert at a decent $35 each, well worth it. Generally we enjoy our servers here but this time out we had a very "efficient" but not a terribly attentive server. Spent more time smoozing with others she must have as "her regulars"...never came by to ask if we wanted more drinks. All in all a very, as usual, nice evening with my wife at this Pasadena landmark eatery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food every timefoodie19Dined on 7/24/2014Every time I have gone to this restaurant the food is always good. Can always count on having a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchFoodLover46Dined on 7/21/2014Smitty's never disappoints. The food and service are always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gracious ServicebpuzzlerDined on 7/20/2014We were greeted by a smiling waiter who seemed to genuinely enjoy his job. We went to dine as part of LA Restaurant Week. The selections were varied and three of us chose items from that menu. The fourth person ordered an item that was one of their daily specials, beef ribs. They overflowed his plate. The regular menu had a large variety of items, certainly enough to please anyone in a party. This is a place that serves food that is thoughtfully prepared but not pretentious. We would not hesitate to go back again. We also appreciated the fact that we could actually converse in a serene atmosphere, perhaps all the more so because we were seated in a small room in the back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.