110 South Lake Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.smittysgrill.com/
- Phone: 6267929999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Mon-Fri 11:30-2:30pm, Dinner Mon-Thu 5:30pm-9:30pm, Fri/Sat 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: For catering information please contact the restaurant.
- Private Party Facilities: Smitty's is the perfect place for any celebration or event, be it a birthday, anniversary, rehearsal dinner, bridal shower, holiday, wrap party, awards show reception, charity reception or corporate meeting.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Cisar 8774469541
A word from Smitty's Grill
The Smith Brothers bring you American comfort food at its best. Our menu features iron skillet cornbread, homemade chicken pot pie, BBQ baby back ribs, and more. Smitty's has always been defined by comfort, from the cozy booths and inviting bar, to the helpful staff who welcome each of our guests home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Smitty's Grill - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
Smitty's Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (80)special occasion (76)great for lunch (55)vibrant bar scene (36)good for groups (35)fit for foodies (35)romantic (34)great for outdoor dining (32)notable wine list (27)hot spot (27)great for brunch (11)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Exceptional service. I didn't notice that the date of my Open Table dinner reservation had changed when I moved up our reservation time. Maitre d' was exceptionally courteous and accommodating. We were shown to a table. While we were ordering drinks, she cleared up my online reservation and took care of our birthday celebration. Waiter was excellent. Calamari special was flavorful and SO tender. However, Herb chicken was little dry for hubby. Be aware, lighting is pretty dim.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliable and goodhatboxVIPDined on 8/31/2014Went last minute after a movie for a light (salad) supper and glass of wine. Everything was great.Special Features:
- Pasadena Local FavoriteChrisPasadenaDined on 8/27/2014By far one of my favorite local Pasadena restaurants. Great food and cocktails! My weekly spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy to have discovered the patioDiscerningDinerDined on 8/25/2014I had been here a couple of times before and knew that inside the restaurant is very noisy so I hesitated when making this reservation for a business dinner. Luckily, the patio was available and the weather was perfect for it because it was very quiet and serene outside; was able to have a good meeting without needing to shout at my client. Service was great; food was okay (my fish was over-cooked but the caprese salad and creme brûlée were marvelous!); ambience was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service top notch!Captainfun63Dined on 8/24/2014Not only is the food outstanding, but the service is exceptional! Not many places where the manager will take time from his day to sit down and talk to his customers making sure you're having a great time. Then to top it off, send over a surprise desert for my brothers birthday. This is how you keep customers!Special Features:
- Great FoodLuvryeDined on 8/23/2014This was our second time at Smitty's and on both occasions it was a wonderful experience. Great food- especially the fish. There aren't too many places that serve sand dabs and Smitty's serves them to perfection. And the bartenders really know their stuff. Cocktails are perfect and there is a high quality selection of good whiskey- especially Rye Whiskey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific spot!PianomanDined on 8/22/2014My wife booked a table for us and two friends for last Friday night. They seated us right away when we arrived, and the evening was perfect, right down to the handwritten note already at our table with my name on it, with good birthday wishes. The place is great. The ambience is perfect.. Busy but not too loud. They have everything in the menu that we like, and the servers are always quick, polite and knowledgable. We look forward to going there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodToniDined on 8/21/2014I love dropping into Smitty's for lunch. It's down the street from my office and the food is great. It's a wonderful place to take clients. I love it because of the traditional steak house menu. And, the chicken pot pie is incredible! I have sat at the bar with friends and enjoyed their wonderful cocktails. Overall, it's a neighborhood gem and I would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paul Our Food ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/19/2014I lunched there with a client on past Tuesday. Paul had his A game working giving us a lovely service experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Second to NoneVinoForTwoPleaseVIPDined on 8/17/2014Smitty's is about comfort food at a gourmet level, it's about service with a friendly professional approach, but it's really about the experience of Smitty's. The great buzz at the bar, those amazing 'just made' potato chip, a well crafted cocktail or a glass of wine from their wonderful wine cellar. Always fun, always a special occasion and a staff that works hard to create an Experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back againPasoEdDined on 8/16/2014This was our 3rd trip to Smitty's and we've had excellent food and service each time. Love their down home menu and great variety of items. There is always something for everyone. Cocktails are prepared perfectly and the dinner specials are interesting and well worth trying.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014Great to celebrate a birthday. Card and flowers were on the table when we arrived. FANTASTIC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Prime Rib in PasadenaPasaFoodie25Dined on 8/12/2014I frequently search for a really good Prime Rib, and I have tried lots of restaurants in Pasadena. So far, Smitty's wins hands down. The Prime Rib was perfectly cooked and had amazing flavor. This would not be the place to go for a romantic dinner. I found it loud enough that I had to repeat myself several times for my friend to here me. However, it has a great vibe. It would be a great place to go with a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 10 on Sunday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014We had dinner for 10 on a Sunday night. I waited at the bar for the rest of my group to come. They were very very nice and welcoming. The food was very good. Our head waiter was excellent. The room was too cool for most of us, but then we didn't tell them. I'm sure they would have moved the temperature up. My bar wine was very good. Salmon and creme brulee were superb. Chocolate cake-ok. Ice cream very good. Excellent bread. The chicken was an enormous serving and extremely tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Business LunchNeighborDined on 8/5/2014Every lunch I have at Smitty's is the best! My clients love the atmosphere and the delicious food. They always have great specials and the food has always been fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SMITTYS NEEDS TO LEARN GROUP SKILLSYUMYUMDined on 8/1/2014I reserved for a party of 8 way in advance. We asked for separate checks. This did not happen. But back to the beginning, we were not brought bread and butter. ??? A party of 8 is not huge- and this was a Fri nite. Faux pas. I was busy hosting so I did not make an issue of it. I ordered one cocktail and was never offered the opportunity to order a second. ??? The steaks / filet mignon were great. The Chicken Pot Pie is too large and therefore unappetizing, according to the guest. Then came the checks -- what a mess. I picked up half the tab and wanted to split the remainder between the other couples/guests. Splitting the atom must have been easier. Our server disappeared before it was resolved. Overall as an experience it was confused.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal! I will return!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014Great for foodies! Everything was great! The bartender made the perfect Dirty Grey Goose Martini!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurantAdam7223Dined on 7/30/2014It was my first time dining at Smitty's Grill. The ambience and restaurant setting seems very nice. However, I am not too impressive with the service. The host sat us at a table between two smaller tables where my husband and I cannot even carry a conversation. We have to ask him to move us since there are many tables around and the restaurant was not busy. The food quality is about average. The server was OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smitty's worth the driveDrRevenueVIPDined on 7/29/2014Coming from W. LA to Pasadena is a real challenge, but meeting a good friend from Upland it makes sense to meet in Pasadena. And, meeting at Smitty's is a real treat. Adding Mr. Robert, the server, and great corn bread, beautiful roast beef and excellent mashed potatoes made this a terrific lunch with an old friend. It says Prime Rib only after 5:00 but Mr. Robert made it happen for lunch. The portion was very large so I saved 40% and had it for dinner--perfect for an older stomach.Special Features:
- Comfortable American CuisineeatznthingzDined on 7/24/2014Been going here since it opened and rarely have we been let down service or food wise. Last nite was no exception. My petite filet minion was one of the best steaks I've had in quite awhile. My wife said her white fish was excellent. We did the offered pre fix menu... nice offerings and with our salads, entree's and desert at a decent $35 each, well worth it. Generally we enjoy our servers here but this time out we had a very "efficient" but not a terribly attentive server. Spent more time smoozing with others she must have as "her regulars"...never came by to ask if we wanted more drinks. All in all a very, as usual, nice evening with my wife at this Pasadena landmark eatery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food every timefoodie19Dined on 7/24/2014Every time I have gone to this restaurant the food is always good. Can always count on having a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchFoodLover46Dined on 7/21/2014Smitty's never disappoints. The food and service are always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gracious ServicebpuzzlerDined on 7/20/2014We were greeted by a smiling waiter who seemed to genuinely enjoy his job. We went to dine as part of LA Restaurant Week. The selections were varied and three of us chose items from that menu. The fourth person ordered an item that was one of their daily specials, beef ribs. They overflowed his plate. The regular menu had a large variety of items, certainly enough to please anyone in a party. This is a place that serves food that is thoughtfully prepared but not pretentious. We would not hesitate to go back again. We also appreciated the fact that we could actually converse in a serene atmosphere, perhaps all the more so because we were seated in a small room in the back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2014Haven't been here in a while- was very excited to reacquaint myself! I gave it three stars for reasons listed below. We were ready to order cocktails- first on the list was the mai tai! We were so excited to try it! The waitress told us they weren't available that evening. What? I was shocked. So we ordered some other drinks that were ok, but we weren't looking forward to them like we were the mai tai. Next- the waitress asked if we would like sourdough or cornbread- we said both! 20 min later, still no bread. They were over run w bread orders, waitress said. It was delicious when we got it. Finally, for dessert, I wanted the crisp. They were out if it, as well. A few disappointments.Special Features:
- Always greatsmarmydaveDined on 7/12/2014Smitty's Grill is always a great meal. I've been here many times and it's never disappointing. I most recently had the Prime Rib, which was delicious. I've also had the filet and some of their fish specials which were memorable. The service is excellent from the entire staff. Like many other Smith Brothers restaurants, the staff seem genuinely happy to be working at Smitty's. (If they're faking it, they're doing a good job!) All in all, I'd recommend Smitty's for a better-than-average meal, special occasion or not.Special Features:
- Great DinnerBrianmsrDined on 7/10/2014We chose Smitty's Grill simply by reading ratings and reviews on OpenTable. Our last evening in the LA area celebrating my wife's birthday. The food was great and the server was exceptional. I would definitely return on my next trip to the area. Menu offers a wide variety and everything was prepared great.Special Features:
- Comforting and creativeFoodDudeVIPDined on 6/30/2014Seldom does one find a place that made its bones on comfort food that has that additional touch of innovation to remain fresh and appealing year after year. Such is the talent very much in evidence here. The old favorites--meat loaf, macaroni & cheese with ham, etc.--remain stellar representations of a bygone era that bring back a flood of warm memories. But the versatility of the kitchen staff extends well beyond the tried and true. And their flexibility for dietary restrictions or simple taste preference is the stuff of legends. Want the roasted chicken boneless? No problem. Want to change a side? Done. In addition, a wait staff that knows what it is doing and does it with a crisp professionalism that one doesn't find often. Terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good had to come back again.DansocalVIPDined on 6/24/2014I'm moving out of town soon so I had to come back with friends and enjoy the great food and service at Smitty's one last time. We tried the bean and cheese dip with chips which was a delicious alternative to bread. I got the cob salad which is laid out like a piece of art when it arrives. Big chunks of chicken, tomato's and the rest. The chocolate mousse cake was excellent as well.Special Features:
- DreamyElJefeDined on 6/24/2014It's warm and welcoming decor and broad ranging menu of gourmet treats mixed with comfort food is just perfect for any meal anytime. Great service, and with chicken pot pie on the menu, how can you go wrong. A dream.Special Features:
- Another Great MealDansocalVIPDined on 6/19/2014I brought some friends to Smitty's to introduce them to the great food. We all had a wonderful dinner, great service and conversation.Special Features:
- Watching the cooksOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/16/2014We always ask for a stool where the cooks prepare the meal. It is a great showSpecial Features:
- extremely loudShoeDivaDenverVIPDined on 6/13/2014The food was good, but it was so loud in the restaurant that it was almost impossible to converse without shouting. It took over 15 minutes to receive the drinks we ordered, and we had to grab a staff person (very nice Thomas) just to order the drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's DayWendyDined on 6/13/2014I invited my husband for a good stake, he loved it!!!Special Features:
- Always a PleasureDansocalVIPDined on 6/9/2014Smitty's never disappoints. The fresh baked bread, tender short ribs and perfect mashed potato's. Good service too.Special Features:
- Mother in law's Bday at Smitty'sPrestonDined on 6/8/2014Ian and Mgr. Thomas took care of our every need.....from the drinks, to the climate, to the food, everything was covered..........GIVE THEM A RAISE!!Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2014The best local halibut Yes I said Local and it is not a beach restaurant.Special Features:
- Noisy but good food.Jack2ndcityVIPDined on 6/6/2014Good food, but extremely noisy for carrying on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service good foodFrequentdiner365VIPDined on 6/3/2014Michael took really good care of us, he was professional and eager to please and genuinely cared about our experience. Salads were consistent and good.Special Features:
- jazzy2Dined on 5/31/2014We have celebrated our anniversary at this restaurant a couple of times. The service has always been great with friendly and attentive servers. We have always been perfectly satisfied with the food. My husband had a rib eye steak and I had a petite filet - they were excellent - tender, juicy and cooked perfectly. The restaurant made a special point of recognizing our anniversary with a hand-written note, orchids for us, and a delicious dessert. The only complaint we have is that the noise level is very loud. It was difficult to talk across our table. We will definitely dine here again, but perhaps not on a weekend night due to the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Outstanding!!!mickeyDined on 5/30/2014I wish I could dine there everyday so I could enjoy each dish on the menu....it's just that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.