36 S 2nd St.
Ashland, OR 97520Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.smithfieldsashland.com/
- Phone: 5414889948x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Steakhouse, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Neil Clooney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can offer bespoke menus for any event.
- Entertainment: We have an open kitchen.
A word from Smithfields
Smithfields Restaurant and Bar located in Ashland, Oregon is a neighborhood steakhouse which specializes in sustainable "nose-to-tail" dining (utilizing the whole animal) and in-house charcuterie.Continued
We source our meat, fish, produce, beer and wine from over 20 independent and local suppliers to create our menus.
We source our meat, fish, produce, beer and wine from over 20 independent and local suppliers to create our menus.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Smithfields - Best Restaurants in Ashland ›
Smithfields reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (69)great for outdoor dining (61)neighborhood gem (46)special occasion (36)great for brunch (27)good for groups (20)hot spot (18)romantic (14)notable wine list (13)scenic view (12)great for lunch (9)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (5)Show More
- Bummer BrunchruntoeatDined on 9/13/2014I read the reviews prior to making reservations for brunch and had great expectations upon presenting to the restaurant, but a few areas fell short. 1. My order was brought out cooked incorrectly and it took another 25 minutes to receive my food which, fortunately, was cooked correctly. 2. Service was spotty...communication between the wait staff was lacking. Overall, not a good impression on my first, and probably last, visit to this restaurant when Ashland has so many to chose from.Special Features:
- Great Ashland findRobynBDined on 9/12/2014Very forward thinking paleo influenced restaurant. Great local wine pairing. We'll be back on our next trip to Ashland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat in Ashland...wggzreviewVIPDined on 9/12/2014Carnivores invited! This is a place to sink your k-nines into a great piece of meat. Even the OSF stars eat here...saw three leads enjoying themselves as couples. The bar is in the dinning area and makes for a good energy. The food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Spot!dine4funVIPDined on 9/11/2014This place is a kick! Very casual decor, waiters with lots of personality and helpful recommendations, and incredibly good food. We shared a heirloom tomato and watermelon salad that was the most amazing combination. The brisket and rib entrees we had were equally good. Serving sizes were generous and the prices quite reasonable. A great time was had by all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AveragecostosVIPDined on 9/8/2014This was our first time at Smithfields and it was better than the many pub style restaurants that have popped up in Ashland but still not anything to write home about. Obviously it is a place for carnivores so you should stick to the meat dishes. If you are in touch with your cardiologist on a regular basis, he marrow bone appetizer is excellent and generous, as was the pork belly main course. My hanger steak good if a bit more chewy than expected. The salmon was over cooked but so many places do that it is not surprising. The wine list is limited but very fairly priced. It won't make our list of "must go to' places in Ashland but we may be back if we are in Ashland for more than four dinnersSpecial Features:
- Best Brunchbrunch42Dined on 9/7/2014We truly enjoyed the food and service when we went for brunch on Sunday. Sadly we could not order everything on the menu at once. Luckily that means we will need to go back, and back, and try dinner too! The food tasted terrific. We enjoyed noting the sources of the food they were preparing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go HereBiscuitNEDined on 9/5/2014If you haven't been to Smithfields, go there. If you don't live in Ashland, go there and then go to Smithfields. As a carnivore, they are one of my favorite meat-centric restaurants. The menu is organized a little weird, but the 'bacon beignets' are on the left and everything on the left side is excellent. The service was excellent; at one point, the server moved an umbrella off the deck and tipped it over the provide a sun-block. Knew his stuff, suggested good wine-parings and was helpful without hovering. We had dinner outside ~6:30 and the place filled as we sat. Get a reservation. The sun set during the course of the meal, with us in shade before the valley below. Really nice view.Special Features:
- Great food and amazing servicetravelgirlDined on 9/5/2014The side portion of mac and cheese was superb, buy could feed to or three people. Only disappointment is you aren't guaranteed white or dark meet if you order chicken, so I passed on it and opted for steak. Loved the onion rings. The mash was average - I wouldn't pay for it as a side. The pork was moist and really well done. The servers, however, were beyond exceptional. You could tell they love what they do. Waiter was knowledgeable with great recommendations. Atmosphere was relaxed. Not too fancy and not too pub-like. Loved it. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paradise for Meat DishesRestaurantRomerVIPDined on 9/5/2014This is the place to go to in Ashland Oregon if your appetite is for high quality, excellently prepared meat dishes combined with innovative mixtures of locally grown vegetables. Very friendly atmosphere. The restaurant is very informally yet focused on the customer's satisfaction. It will be a go to spot on my return visits to Ashland.Special Features:
- Carnivores Delight!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/4/2014Brought an out of town guest & he was blown away...wants to dine here every time he comes to Ashland to visit us! Excellent service, and were very knowledgable, friendly, and very prompt with getting the food out when I said I had to eat & leave before the rest of my party. Looking forward to coming back soon & sitting in the beautfiful outdoor garden area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodTravellingGrandmaDined on 9/3/2014The food was well prepared and tasty. My husband's lamb porterhouse was a novelty and extremely tender. My hanger steak was quite good and the fries were top rate. Minuses: though the restaurant wasn't full, they tried to seat us next to a wall where there would be no elbow room -- we requested and were given a different table. I had wanted to order their excellent fried chicken and was told there would be a 45 minute wait, so I made another choice. Both of our main courses took 45 minutes anyhow! It was an effort to get our bill at the end.Special Features:
- Waiter left usOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Ordered a meal. Hanger steak very tough. Wife's duck confit. Waiter never returned to check on us. Cofit good. Needed bread but no one would stop to check on. Finally got it but had to pay extra for it.Special Features:
- Dine with an Oregon Iron ChefCruisingEmpressDined on 8/31/2014Smithfield's is one of my favorite restaurants. Owner Neil Clooney is a fabulous chef and the ever-changing menu is always exciting. In summer the patio is delightful and host Dee and her staff are gracious and welcoming. Although it specializes in meat dishes, vegetarians can always find something delectable. Try "yesterday's soup" for starters. Lots of hard surfaces so a bit noisy but worth it--also great selection of cocktails and draft beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent brunch, but the wait...PDXTravlrVIPDined on 8/31/2014We ordered the corned beef item for brunch as well as a biscuit with gravy and a piece of fried chicken. And proceeded to wait for over 45 minutes for our order with no apologies whatsoever from the waiter. The slice of corned beef was a very dry, thick hunk of meat and not particularly tender. This from a restaurant that calls itself "meat centric". The potatoes that came with it were nicely seasoned. The piece of fried chicken was also done nicely, but to charge $13 for a very small biscuit, some mushroom gravy and a small piece of chicken was definitely overpriced. The patio area is lovely and if you have all kinds of time to spend before getting your food, you might like this place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014The atmosphere is nice. The service was poor. Very slow delivery times. Our waiter was friendly, but the woman who brought out the food was almost rude. The food was edible but not very tasty. I wouldn't recommend Smithfield's.
- Classy and Down home!nativegreens23Dined on 8/26/2014Love this place. It's quirky and delicious. Loved everything about it. Inventive food with the classics. They do have kids books and changing table in the bathroom but we choose it as our late night date night spot. Farm to table, grass fed beef, New cocktails and amazing desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 8/24/2014Smithfields is a good choice for brunch but it has a limited lunch menu. The steak sandwich and eggs & sausage were good while the service was a bit slow. The kitchen took more than 45 minutes to deliver our meal despite only ten tables occupied. The waitress sat down at one of the tables to talk with locals and it took a bit of time to get our check before showtime. We did however enjoy lunch and would return again when in Ashland.Special Features:
- Unique food - great serviceHuskyluvDined on 8/23/2014My husband had the BBQ platter - everything had a unique flavour and was clearly well-planned and presented. I had the homemade fried chicken with chived mashed potatoes and mushroom sauce, which was extremely tasty! Our waiter was wonderful and friendly, but not overly talkative - much appreciated and the other service crew was attentive and well-presented. Bring your appetite - the dishes are European-portioned but substantial in flavour and content. We'd go back and recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodRestatsVIPDined on 8/23/2014We went for the meat and were not disappointed. There BBQ plate assortment is outstanding and the ribeye was cooked rare the way I like it was coupled with unusual mashed potatoes with some horseradish folded in just perfectly. They let us sit and talk and service were prefect. Wine and drinks were just what we wanted, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TutuDined on 8/21/2014A bacon heaven. If red meat is not your thing try the yummy crusty fried chicken.Special Features:
- YummytripleduckVIPDined on 8/18/2014We had a wonderful evening at Smithfields and appreciate the recommendation to sit outside as the dining room was very noisy. The servers were all very welcoming and we received very attentive service. The food was wonderful and we loved everything we ordered including rib eye steak; peach, prosciutto and pistachio salad; fried chicken and the bacon beignets with salted caramel ice cream. Writing this review is making me hungry all over again. It was great!Special Features:
- Always an enjoyable experience.sh20Dined on 8/13/2014Definitely meat-centric but a good, varied dish at all times for vegetarians (not pasta). One of the better high-end choices in Ashland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat Meat!!!LorenzaDined on 8/9/2014Our first time here and we were very impressed. We resisted ordering the bacon beignets but gave in and tried them and were glad we did---Yumm! The watermelon-tomato salad was refreshing and tasty. Best of the entrees at our table: Lamb. Pork belly came in second. Skirt steak delicious. Do not make the mistake I made by ordering the ahi. (It was a little fishy tasting). Stick to the meat. It rocks! Their homemade ice cream was also wonderful. We only come to Ashland once a year, but we plan to go back to Smithfield's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Twist with EleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014I love Smithfields!! Every time I visit Ashland I make a point to go to this restaurant. They take southern cookin' to a new place and with elegance. It's really lovely on the patio for a business brunch meeting or for leisure. I love the breakfast/brunch and will have to try coming for other meals. Bless Smithfield's and I hope they have a very long run in Ashland!!!Special Features:
- Yummy Sunday brunch!BizeatsDined on 8/3/2014We sat outside for a Sunday brunch and our waitress was outstanding. Great service and fun personality! The food was very good. We ordered off the specials menu: the frittata was to die for and the brisket burrito was very good as well. My only issue with it was the brisket sauce was a bit sweeter than I was expecting. Still good, just not quite to my liking. Will definitely try the fried chicken and waffle combo next time. And there WILL be a next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to this restaurant!EatswellDined on 8/1/2014One word says it all, on every level...Exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Sure We'll ReturnHMBPoppyDined on 8/1/2014This was our third experience. We always look forward to their fresh, creative dinner choices. But this is also the second time we've waited for over an hour for our main course. Our waiter was apologetic but that was it. A large group was ahead of us so I suspect it was the kitchen's fault. Too, too slow for a theater nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and locationchowgeekDined on 7/28/2014The service was excellent, and the speed of the kitchen reasonable. We had one of the best seats in the house by a window looking out at Grizzly Peak. Food, for the most part, was decent. The fish was fresh and cooked right, and the charcuterie plate nice (it is a meat-focused place, after all). However, the tartare (for those that don't know: that's raw ground steak) was the strangest tasting tartare I've ever had. The sauce had a strange pickled taste to it. I couldn't eat it, so sent it back. I've had quite a bit of tartare in my life, so I know what it should taste like. Oh, yeah, and I've certainly had better creme' brulee as well. In the end, the restaurant made it right. And, again, our server was excellent.Special Features:
- Smithfields - Great ExperienceMaryDined on 7/22/2014Great dinner at Smithfields. We made a reservation for 8 PM on a Tuesday night. We arrived and the place was FULL....and there was a lovely window table waiting for us. The food - Recommendations: 1. Peach, prosciutto, pistachio, maple dressing, micro greens - best peaches I've had in years. 2.Grilled romaine, white anchovies, crostini, shaved parmesan, roasted garlic dressing. The anchovies were excellent. 3. The surprise - they had Steak Tartare- I love Steak Tartare, but few restaurants offer it. Smithfields Steak Tartare was excellent. 4. Hanger Steak. 5. The drinks - the martini was perfect and a strong selection of wines. Fourth - The people who work at Smithfields take the time to meet your needs.Special Features:
- "Delightful dining experience"BerniefoodieDined on 7/19/2014Booked an advanced reservation the day before, for a Friday evening dinner, before our 8PM show. We were seated promptly at arrival. Servers were attentive and helpful. Spicy popcorn is served to start, no bread. I ordered the burger which came with fries. The burger was cooked perfectly. Bun was fresh and not too thick. Fries were amazing! Obviously homemade and not overly salted. We also tried the curry roasted almonds which were tasty. My husband had "yesterday's soup" which was a gazpacho! Very delicious. Also tried the roasted rainbow carrots and beets in balsamic honey. Wonderful choices. We shared a dessert special which was bacon beignets served with salted caramel ice cream! Oh this was heavenly! Really enjoyed the meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/20146 of us met at Smithfield's to celebrate our son's being in town. We enjoyed our drinks, the food, the service was impeccable and friendly at the same time. We stayed for hours and since it was towards the end of the evening there was not a bit of pressure to leave. We chose 6 different dishes and all of them were excellent.Special Features:
- Meat HeavenJessicaDined on 7/15/2014Smithfield's is not to be missed. Service is wonderful. Food is impeccable. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/14/2014From the hostess to the bartender to our server, they treated us like VIP's. Can't wait to go back. A meat eaters delight.Special Features:
- "Meat-Centric"MalvolioDined on 7/9/2014Smithfields is self-described as a "meat-centric" restaurant, and it's an excellent one. The wall between the kitchen and the dining room contains a diagram of the different portions of the animal (haunch, etc.) and what cuts of meat come from it. This wall also provides the definition: "vegetarian: a Native American term for lousy hunter". 'Nuff said. My lamb porterhouse was spectacular, and my wife's grilled rib eye steak was even better. Side dishes are a la carte, and are large enough to share. There are complete dinners on the menu, but the typical modus operandi is to pick a meat, a sauce, and side dishes separately. Total tab including wine: $140. Worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Luv2dineDined on 7/8/2014I've dined here several times. The menu is interesting, the staff treats us like valued customers, and the food is well prepared. I will be back.Special Features:
- What a fantastic brunchbeegVIPDined on 7/5/2014One of the best brunches I have had in the last several months. Everything was outstanding. I totally impressed my guests.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014This was the third time that I have been to Smithfields, and never had a bad experience. Not only is the food exceptional, but the servers were knowledgeable, helpful, and beyond exceptionable.Special Features:
- Too LongsandraandersonVIPDined on 7/3/2014This was our first time at Smithfield's. The food was very mediocre except for one person's Watermelon salad. My husband's Tuna Tartare was pretty tasteless and my Rib Eye was way too fatty. The waitress was nice but we wait an interminably long time for dinner eve thigh we had explained that we had theater tickets. She kept saying in a minute but it was about 20 minutes between salad and main course and. Rey little time for coffee. We were told about 1/2 way into our wait that there were many people eating outside. In that case during theater season rush hour, a restaurant needs to be properly staffed.
- Steak was toughCCzzVIPDined on 7/2/2014I asked my server, "if I order the strip steak will it be really tender?" "Yes, absolutely" was the answer. NOT! The steak was sub par, the grilled taste was great, but pretty tough. My white wine was not cold, and the entrée took over 40 minutes to be delivered. Not real impressed. The menu is very interesting, but they really need to step up the service. Especially if you are heading to a play!
- Brunch favBrunchDined on 6/29/2014Be sure and make reservations for groups, especially if inclement weather as seating is somewhat limited inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.