36 S 2nd St.
Ashland, OR 97520Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.smithfieldsashland.com/
- Phone: 5414889948x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Steakhouse, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Neil Clooney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can offer bespoke menus for any event.
- Entertainment: We have an open kitchen.
A word from Smithfields
Smithfields Restaurant and Bar located in Ashland, Oregon is a neighborhood steakhouse which specializes in sustainable "nose-to-tail" dining (utilizing the whole animal) and in-house charcuterie.Continued
We source our meat, fish, produce, beer and wine from over 20 independent and local suppliers to create our menus.
We source our meat, fish, produce, beer and wine from over 20 independent and local suppliers to create our menus.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Smithfields - Best Restaurants in Ashland ›
Smithfields reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (66)great for outdoor dining (54)neighborhood gem (44)special occasion (34)great for brunch (29)good for groups (15)hot spot (15)romantic (13)scenic view (12)notable wine list (12)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (9)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (6)Show More
- Dine with an Oregon Iron ChefOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Smithfield's is one of my favorite restaurants. Owner Neil Clooney is a fabulous chef and the ever-changing menu is always exciting. In summer the patio is delightful and host Dee and her staff are gracious and welcoming. Although it specializes in meat dishes, vegetarians can always find something delectable. Try "yesterday's soup" for starters. Lots of hard surfaces so a bit noisy but worth it--also great selection of cocktails and draft beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014The atmosphere is nice. The service was poor. Very slow delivery times. Our waiter was friendly, but the woman who brought out the food was almost rude. The food was edible but not very tasty. I wouldn't recommend Smithfield's.
- Classy and Down home!nativegreens23Dined on 8/26/2014Love this place. It's quirky and delicious. Loved everything about it. Inventive food with the classics. They do have kids books and changing table in the bathroom but we choose it as our late night date night spot. Farm to table, grass fed beef, New cocktails and amazing desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 8/24/2014Smithfields is a good choice for brunch but it has a limited lunch menu. The steak sandwich and eggs & sausage were good while the service was a bit slow. The kitchen took more than 45 minutes to deliver our meal despite only ten tables occupied. The waitress sat down at one of the tables to talk with locals and it took a bit of time to get our check before showtime. We did however enjoy lunch and would return again when in Ashland.Special Features:
- Unique food - great serviceHuskyluvDined on 8/23/2014My husband had the BBQ platter - everything had a unique flavour and was clearly well-planned and presented. I had the homemade fried chicken with chived mashed potatoes and mushroom sauce, which was extremely tasty! Our waiter was wonderful and friendly, but not overly talkative - much appreciated and the other service crew was attentive and well-presented. Bring your appetite - the dishes are European-portioned but substantial in flavour and content. We'd go back and recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodRestatsVIPDined on 8/23/2014We went for the meat and were not disappointed. There BBQ plate assortment is outstanding and the ribeye was cooked rare the way I like it was coupled with unusual mashed potatoes with some horseradish folded in just perfectly. They let us sit and talk and service were prefect. Wine and drinks were just what we wanted, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TutuDined on 8/21/2014A bacon heaven. If red meat is not your thing try the yummy crusty fried chicken.Special Features:
- YummytripleduckVIPDined on 8/18/2014We had a wonderful evening at Smithfields and appreciate the recommendation to sit outside as the dining room was very noisy. The servers were all very welcoming and we received very attentive service. The food was wonderful and we loved everything we ordered including rib eye steak; peach, prosciutto and pistachio salad; fried chicken and the bacon beignets with salted caramel ice cream. Writing this review is making me hungry all over again. It was great!Special Features:
- Always an enjoyable experience.sh20Dined on 8/13/2014Definitely meat-centric but a good, varied dish at all times for vegetarians (not pasta). One of the better high-end choices in Ashland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat Meat!!!LorenzaDined on 8/9/2014Our first time here and we were very impressed. We resisted ordering the bacon beignets but gave in and tried them and were glad we did---Yumm! The watermelon-tomato salad was refreshing and tasty. Best of the entrees at our table: Lamb. Pork belly came in second. Skirt steak delicious. Do not make the mistake I made by ordering the ahi. (It was a little fishy tasting). Stick to the meat. It rocks! Their homemade ice cream was also wonderful. We only come to Ashland once a year, but we plan to go back to Smithfield's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Twist with EleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014I love Smithfields!! Every time I visit Ashland I make a point to go to this restaurant. They take southern cookin' to a new place and with elegance. It's really lovely on the patio for a business brunch meeting or for leisure. I love the breakfast/brunch and will have to try coming for other meals. Bless Smithfield's and I hope they have a very long run in Ashland!!!Special Features:
- Yummy Sunday brunch!BizeatsDined on 8/3/2014We sat outside for a Sunday brunch and our waitress was outstanding. Great service and fun personality! The food was very good. We ordered off the specials menu: the frittata was to die for and the brisket burrito was very good as well. My only issue with it was the brisket sauce was a bit sweeter than I was expecting. Still good, just not quite to my liking. Will definitely try the fried chicken and waffle combo next time. And there WILL be a next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to this restaurant!EatswellDined on 8/1/2014One word says it all, on every level...Exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Sure We'll ReturnHMBPoppyDined on 8/1/2014This was our third experience. We always look forward to their fresh, creative dinner choices. But this is also the second time we've waited for over an hour for our main course. Our waiter was apologetic but that was it. A large group was ahead of us so I suspect it was the kitchen's fault. Too, too slow for a theater nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and locationchowgeekDined on 7/28/2014The service was excellent, and the speed of the kitchen reasonable. We had one of the best seats in the house by a window looking out at Grizzly Peak. Food, for the most part, was decent. The fish was fresh and cooked right, and the charcuterie plate nice (it is a meat-focused place, after all). However, the tartare (for those that don't know: that's raw ground steak) was the strangest tasting tartare I've ever had. The sauce had a strange pickled taste to it. I couldn't eat it, so sent it back. I've had quite a bit of tartare in my life, so I know what it should taste like. Oh, yeah, and I've certainly had better creme' brulee as well. In the end, the restaurant made it right. And, again, our server was excellent.Special Features:
- Smithfields - Great ExperienceMaryDined on 7/22/2014Great dinner at Smithfields. We made a reservation for 8 PM on a Tuesday night. We arrived and the place was FULL....and there was a lovely window table waiting for us. The food - Recommendations: 1. Peach, prosciutto, pistachio, maple dressing, micro greens - best peaches I've had in years. 2.Grilled romaine, white anchovies, crostini, shaved parmesan, roasted garlic dressing. The anchovies were excellent. 3. The surprise - they had Steak Tartare- I love Steak Tartare, but few restaurants offer it. Smithfields Steak Tartare was excellent. 4. Hanger Steak. 5. The drinks - the martini was perfect and a strong selection of wines. Fourth - The people who work at Smithfields take the time to meet your needs.Special Features:
- "Delightful dining experience"BerniefoodieDined on 7/19/2014Booked an advanced reservation the day before, for a Friday evening dinner, before our 8PM show. We were seated promptly at arrival. Servers were attentive and helpful. Spicy popcorn is served to start, no bread. I ordered the burger which came with fries. The burger was cooked perfectly. Bun was fresh and not too thick. Fries were amazing! Obviously homemade and not overly salted. We also tried the curry roasted almonds which were tasty. My husband had "yesterday's soup" which was a gazpacho! Very delicious. Also tried the roasted rainbow carrots and beets in balsamic honey. Wonderful choices. We shared a dessert special which was bacon beignets served with salted caramel ice cream! Oh this was heavenly! Really enjoyed the meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/20146 of us met at Smithfield's to celebrate our son's being in town. We enjoyed our drinks, the food, the service was impeccable and friendly at the same time. We stayed for hours and since it was towards the end of the evening there was not a bit of pressure to leave. We chose 6 different dishes and all of them were excellent.Special Features:
- Meat HeavenJessicaDined on 7/15/2014Smithfield's is not to be missed. Service is wonderful. Food is impeccable. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/14/2014From the hostess to the bartender to our server, they treated us like VIP's. Can't wait to go back. A meat eaters delight.Special Features:
- "Meat-Centric"MalvolioDined on 7/9/2014Smithfields is self-described as a "meat-centric" restaurant, and it's an excellent one. The wall between the kitchen and the dining room contains a diagram of the different portions of the animal (haunch, etc.) and what cuts of meat come from it. This wall also provides the definition: "vegetarian: a Native American term for lousy hunter". 'Nuff said. My lamb porterhouse was spectacular, and my wife's grilled rib eye steak was even better. Side dishes are a la carte, and are large enough to share. There are complete dinners on the menu, but the typical modus operandi is to pick a meat, a sauce, and side dishes separately. Total tab including wine: $140. Worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Luv2dineDined on 7/8/2014I've dined here several times. The menu is interesting, the staff treats us like valued customers, and the food is well prepared. I will be back.Special Features:
- What a fantastic brunchbeegVIPDined on 7/5/2014One of the best brunches I have had in the last several months. Everything was outstanding. I totally impressed my guests.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014This was the third time that I have been to Smithfields, and never had a bad experience. Not only is the food exceptional, but the servers were knowledgeable, helpful, and beyond exceptionable.Special Features:
- Too LongsandraandersonDined on 7/3/2014This was our first time at Smithfield's. The food was very mediocre except for one person's Watermelon salad. My husband's Tuna Tartare was pretty tasteless and my Rib Eye was way too fatty. The waitress was nice but we wait an interminably long time for dinner eve thigh we had explained that we had theater tickets. She kept saying in a minute but it was about 20 minutes between salad and main course and. Rey little time for coffee. We were told about 1/2 way into our wait that there were many people eating outside. In that case during theater season rush hour, a restaurant needs to be properly staffed.
- Steak was toughCCzzVIPDined on 7/2/2014I asked my server, "if I order the strip steak will it be really tender?" "Yes, absolutely" was the answer. NOT! The steak was sub par, the grilled taste was great, but pretty tough. My white wine was not cold, and the entrée took over 40 minutes to be delivered. Not real impressed. The menu is very interesting, but they really need to step up the service. Especially if you are heading to a play!
- Brunch favBrunchDined on 6/29/2014Be sure and make reservations for groups, especially if inclement weather as seating is somewhat limited inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food and atmosphereOliverDined on 6/28/2014Absolutely deliciuos food and wine...fab staff very attentive !! Will definitely return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warning - Carnivore Heaven!!HappyTummyVIPDined on 6/27/2014Unabashed, unapologetic, locally-sourced meat-centric eatery :-) Thank Heaven for little pigs... Anyhow, if there's anyone in your dining party who has even an iota of dislike for meat - make him/her wait in the car. Otherwise, there are one or two salads that can satisfy an accommodating vegetarian. Meanwhile, you feast on deliciously and carefully prepared dishes like charcuterie platter with mostly housemade items, s-l-o-w cooked brisket, pork belly; and their tiramousso (rich chocolate mousse with last fingers on top). Bon Appétit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat eaters delightBrainiacDined on 6/27/2014SmithFields is a meat oasis in the vegeland of Ashland! A variety of selections with good sauce pairings and sides. Meat cooked to order and generous portions. Can be rather noisy inside and somewhat crowded tables. Outside tables are decent, service was excellent inside and out. Wine selection limited but good cocktails and beer options. We eat there regularly on our trips to Ashland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Want to like this place, but don'tfoodie81Dined on 6/22/2014We have been here twice now, and I remain un impressed. Overall I like the idea of this place much more than the actual experience. This time we came for brunch (previously dinner). The service was lack luster - it took about an hour to get our food, and during that time we were not asked if we wanted a second drink (the answer was yes) - leisurely brunch is fine, but with out attentive wait staff it is less acceptable. I ordered the duck leg hash - which turned out to be more of a mash. My husband got the chicken fried steak - which was tough and under seasoned. The food was really just okay. There are much better options for dinning in Ashland. We won't waste another meal here.
- delicious!scb10VIPDined on 6/21/2014one of the best in ashland! We came for dinner one night, and for the fabulous weekend brunch as well. Interesting menu choices, friendly (albeit a bit slow) service, and surprisingly strong drinks! we had the charcuterie plate (most unique I've seen, the bacon is awesome!), a steak, and the amazing goat cheese with beets souffle. of course, the bacon beignets are a must (better for dessert than appetizer). we also had the tira-mousse-o, and it was super rich and decadent. yum! for brunch, the "neil's brekkie" totally delivered on the description, and my husband loved his steak and eggs. the patio was beautiful, but you definitely want reservations. I say it even beats Morning Glory!Special Features:
- DisappointedlitloverDined on 6/18/2014We looked forward to our first time at this farm-to-fork restaurant but were somewhat disappointed. The outdoor ambiance was delightful and the service staff was friendly but the brisket we ordered was overcooked and nothing special. Worse, we arrived early and were immediately seated but were almost late for the theater though we had told the server we had to be out in time for the curtain. Perhaps the problems was the large wedding reception party that seemed to be overwhelming the staff.Special Features:
- Meat CentricBeansDined on 6/15/2014Now that Newsweek is publishing an article about how saturated fat is essential in our diets I expect Smithfield's to get lots more business. They have lots of high quality, well prepared meat to pick from. The brisket melts in your mouth and the dry rub ribs are exceptional. Great sides & deserts too! They also have a cocktail, wine and beer list. The staff is friendly, professional & knowledgeable. The owner, Neil Clooney won Iron Chef of Oregon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant evening!4theloveoffoodDined on 6/14/2014It was my first dining experience at Smithfields and I would definetly return! The Rabbit Cassoulet was scrumptious..tender and falling off the bone. Our server was wonderful...warm and very helpful. The Tiramisu Mousse was the best I have ever had. The only thing I would not repeat is our starter of bacon wrapped shrimp with BQ sauce...the shrimp was tough and the sauce overwhelmed the other flavors. The location is perfect for theater goers...just a few minutes walk from the restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodJillibEatsALotDined on 6/13/2014While this is not the restaurant for vegetarians, this is some of the best food I've ever had. If you like meat, eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014We were originally planning on dining al fresco, but it was a cooler than expected evening and appreciated being seated indoors with no fuss. The food, as usual, was excellent. Service was generally good (it was a full house and we were a party of 7), but a side dish finally arrived at almost the end of the meal. That said, Smithfield's is a great restaurant and we'll certainly be back.
- recent find, will be backomnivorousDined on 6/8/2014bacon is the gateway meat! we are and intend to remain carnivorous, this is the prime place around.Special Features:
- Smithfield's doesn't disappointWineandFood4MeDined on 6/3/2014Went to Smithfield's for a going away dinner for a member of our family. Most people there were outside dining and so we sat inside. There was only one other table occupied so it felt like we had the whole restaurant to ourselves. The food from the appetizers to the entrées was amazing. We have eaten there before and have not been disappointed yet. Service was a little slow. The Bartender was actually our waiter. Could have been because it was a Tuesday night and they were not busy. We didn't mind though as they atmosphere, company and food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OFF THE HOOK2EatDined on 6/2/2014This place is wonderful, the food is off the hook with good service as well. They have a large outdoor dining area that is perfect for dinner. We ate there on a Monday night and they were busy but not overly so. I can imagine that because of the quality of food here that Friday and Saturday nights are slammed but I would return regardless, it is well worth any wait and the food is so good you want to take time to enjoy it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.