1245 H Street NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
H Street Corridor
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.smithcommonsdc.com/
- Phone: 2023960038
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 5pm—10pm (Smith Hour all night, bar menu only) Tuesday-Thursday: 5pm-2am Friday: 5pm-3am Saturday: 3pm—7pm Smith Hour; 5pm—3am Sunday: 11am-3pm brunch; 3pm-7pm Smith Hour; 5pm-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Carlos Delgado
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please inquire with General Manager Sheldon Robinson for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Smith Commons has numerous space, food, and drink options for your private gathering, small or large.
- Private Party Contact: Anh Chau 2023960038
- Entertainment: Specially selected musical selections will fill the dining room and "Commons" levels on two and three nightly with an eclectic array of sounds and artists. The Commons third level also includes a viewing screen for films and other digital media entertainment.
- Special Events: Smith Commons has two special spaces available for private events: the second floor bar and lounge and the third floor "Smith" Room. Reservations and arrangements are required to host any events at Smith Commons. Please inquire with General Manager Anna-Marie Ashe for more information.
- Cross Street: 12th Street, NE
- Public Transit: The two closest Metro stations to Smith Commons are the Red Line stops at New York Ave./Florida Ave./Gallaudet University Station and at Union Station. From the Metro stops, take a cab or X2 bus or walk to 1245 H St. NE. There is also a Capital Bikeshare station at 13th and H Streets.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: There is metered and non-metered parking on H Street and on residential side streets.
A word from Smith Commons
Smith Commons Dining Room & Public House is a three-story neighborhood bistro on the H Street NE corridor in the Atlas Arts District. With an international menu of approachable cuisine and an array of craft beers, wines and cocktails at three bars, Smith Commons offers something for every palate. The well-honed interiors, outdoor spaces and eclectic music welcome Smiths and friends nightly. Smith Commons is a different kind of dining destination in Washington, D.C., serving artfully crafted dishes prepared by chefs with multicontinental flare, without the white tablecloths or the pretense. Executive Chef Carlos Delgado creates a fresh new menu each month, with inspirations from around the globe and from the greater mid-Atlantic region. Chef Delgado his experience at some of the finest dining rooms in the area, as well as a stage at elBuli in Barcelona to the table. Well-paired bar food complements the vast array of libations, craft and beer, and extensive wine selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Smith Commons - Best Restaurants in H Street Corridor ›
Smith Commons reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (8)neighborhood gem (8)great for outdoor dining (7)fit for foodies (6)romantic (6)special occasion (6)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)good for groups (3)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Fantastic dinnervivianeDined on 10/18/2014I has been to Smith Commons before for drinks and appetizers, and based on that great evening, decided that I had to try dinner as well. I knew the appetizers were going to be deliscious, but was delighted to find the main menu items even better. Every bite was mouth watering. We had the salmon, Wahoo and duck. Appetizers we had were Tuna Tartare (and had to order a second one!), beet salad, oysters. Didn't have time for desert as we were heading to a DC United game, but they looked great. Nothing disappointed. Service perfect too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingBiggroupDined on 9/12/2014We had a party of 8, all coupled up, and had an amazing time. After requesting outside dining on a Friday evening on one of the nicest evenings of the year, the General Manager personally called me two hours in advance to let me know that the outdoor seating was usually first come, first serve. We arrived a little early for our reservation only to find out that he had pulled two tables together for our big group and reserved them for us. Dinner was great, ambiance was amazing, food was on point, and wine was perfect. The service was spectacular and we very much appreciate the evening and look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Didn't Even Get Our Table!katchin05VIPDined on 8/24/2014I was NEVER seated. I was running about 5 minutes late for my 2PM reservation, and called ahead. The host thanked me for calling, and assured me it would be no problem. A table of 4 walked in the door just before me, and was seated almost immediately. I checked in for our table, the host said it wasn't ready yet. We went to the bar to wait. After 35 minutes, one of my party was starving, so I went back to check. There are 4 tables waiting ahead of us. The host was very nice, and tried to offer us the bar menu, which started at 3PM, an HOURafter the reservation. The manager offered to text us & never did. We just ate at El Sol next door. We came back, and the manager didn't even apologize. She just looked at us & walked away.
- Went for brunchDrinkndineDined on 8/24/2014Limited brunch menu.. But great choices. Good taste , super fresh.. Smith biscuits are yummy..and steak/Egg tacos ! I think when I went there were just too many people for the service to be 5 stars. My waiter was new and couldn't answer most of our questions regarding the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotGermanChocolateDined on 8/19/2014Cool spot and good for outdoor dining, I went on a Tuesday which was perfect timing because it wasn't overly crowded. Had dinner with a friend and it was perfect. We ate on the deck and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BrunchHStreetYuppieVIPDined on 8/17/2014Our go-to spot on H Street for brunch. Never disappoints!Special Features:
- Great date night sceneReconDined on 8/2/2014The restaurant is a great place for first date meet. Both us got a chance to get to know each other very thanks to Smith Commons and even the owner made and appearance which gave a family atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014The food was great and the environment was perfect. The waitress ruined the experience; 20 min for drinks, messed up drink and food orders multiple times and charged us 20% tip with only 5 ppl in the party, refused to split the bill and was extremely rude the entire night.
- Bad Service and Bad FoodjustdontDined on 6/28/2014Service was really bad. I mean the host noticed this and tried to help by taking a drink order however he got it wrong. Then the waitress broke a glass from our table and had to clean up messing up our experience. Also they brought food to our table that we didnt order. As for food 2 out of 3 dishes were not good. The bar may be fun but the restaurant is slacking. Even more things happened but the highlights are captured.Special Features:
- The following 320 reviews are from the Smith Commons reviews archive.
- Smith is SlippingEastCoastGuyVIPDined on 6/27/2014I had an excellent experience last year and this time brought friends. It was a beautiful evening, but we were told at the door that we couldn't have dinner on the back patio upstairs anymore because of some issue with the alcohol license. Instead, we were seated in a booth in the back corner of the downstairs room - cozy, but loud and disappointing since we wanted outdoors. The waiter was friendly, but we had a lot of issues with ordering. We all ended up with something acceptable, but I think almost no one of six people got what they wanted - mostly due to availability of menu items. We still had a good time together, but I am hesitant to bring friends here again.
- A Neighborhood GemAnnapolisFoodieDined on 6/22/2014My party and I went to Smith Commons for brunch and were pleasantly surprised. The food and service were excellent, but it was difficult to hear since the music was so loud. The website said that they have a jazz duo during brunch, but they should specify that the duo is connected to speakers - and that the speakers are almost topped out. I believe that that's why it was so noisy...everyone had to talk loud enough to hear over the music. The jazz duo were good, but could've been not quite that loud. Overall, a great place and one we will revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodEj2peDined on 5/25/2014I love thire food my husband says he can't wait to go back. Chef made him a Vegitable pate he couldn't stop eating it. My husband is vegetarian he says that's the best vegi plate he ever had. Thank you Chef. Coming back soon for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delectable food but NoisyJGB1Dined on 5/17/2014Smith Commons' fare is very fine, , but if you seek a restaurant in which you can communicate with your companions without straining your vocal chords, seek another venue, for the noise level of this restaurant is extremely high. The vertical presentation of the main courses seems a curious affectation of the chef.Special Features:
- Great ServiceNiyc1Dined on 5/2/2014I attended Smith Commons with some friends to celebrate my birthday. Our waiter was excellent! He was very helpful, fun, energetic and he went out of his way to make my birthday dinner special. Also, the hostess was very flexible with my party as we all ran late dealing with the horrific parking on H street. Two friends ordered the chicken and they reported that it had good flavor but slightly dry. Another friend's steak was a bit overcooked. However, the salmon, duck and lamb were prepared well with no complaints from the group. I would definitely give this restaurant another try. I had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, service, and pricesHrbrownDined on 4/27/2014Joined a friend for lunch/brunch on Sunday at 12:15. I had the Chicken and Waffles and she had the Fried Chicken Sandwich. Both were fantastic! My chicken was perfectly seasoned and lightly fried. The waffles were excellent and had lots of flavor not just the same old plain buttermilk waffles. I would recommend and definitely go back. One caution, even though it wasn't slammed the first floor dining area was a bit loud. Not somewhere you want to anyone who has trouble hearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!EastCoastGuyVIPDined on 4/19/2014We dined at Smiths on a Saturday evening. We sat upstairs on the balcony in back where we could have nice views of the action in H Street without being in the fray. I ordered the duck and asked them to substitute the starch for an extra helping of the stir fried Brussels sprouts. This dish came out with an artsy presentation (complete with a cranberry smear and tiny, baked Brussel Sprout shavings). I usually don't pay much attention to presentation, but I was pleasantly surprised by this plate - plus the food was terrific! Additionally, we shared the shortrib appetizer which as simple but very tasty. The service was great and the price quite reasonable. I can't believe I delayed my first visit to Smiths for so long. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent dinnerMandyDined on 4/12/2014Decent dinner with a nice ambiance, but nothing that blows it out of the water. Mediocre service and a mediocre beer list. Surprised that the entree salad is made with iceberg -- my friend could have definitely used some spinach or a spring mix or something. Someone else at my table raved about the duck, and the roasted chicken plate looked alright, although skimpy on veggies. My salmon was cooked perfectly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fusion dishes not quite fusedB4theaterVIPDined on 4/4/2014Smith Commons seemed like a find in the vicinity of the Atlas Performing Arts Center, but failed to please. The ideas were interesting - fusion with a kick, but mostly they fell short. The charcuterie platter did not contain the advertised meats. Instead it had several types of salami and some pate. Okay, but not what we expected or wanted. The smoked chicken was tasty, but not especially inspired. The butternut squash ravioli were gluey, though the taste was good, but all was overwhelmed by the curry sauce included. It was exactly what the menu described, but did not really work. The bread pudding had a very nice flavor, but was too dense - even for a bread pudding lover. Nice try, but needs work.
- Smith Commons -- noisy and slowSilverSpringBobDined on 3/22/2014We arrived on time for our 6:30 reservation and were seated promptly. After a while we were told that we had to move to another table. The noise level was so high that we could not carry on a normal conversation at the table. Our entrees arrived at 7:35, requiring us to bolt our food down rapidly so that we could get to the Atlas Theater in time for the 8:00 show. On the plus side, the food that we rushed to eat was OK.
- Great experience, delicious food!WillVIPDined on 3/9/2014This is a truly great spot! Not too pricey, great quality of food, good variety of options and very friendly and attentive service. Nice decor, great steak frites, and very tasty sauces for the entrees. You can make it a late night bite for a quick appetizer or make it a really nice dining experience, definitely recommend it!Special Features:
- OverratedtamismDined on 2/28/2014I was there for a birthday celebration. Overall the ambience was good and its a great place to meet up with friends. BUT.. the service was less than stellar and with TONS of restaurant choices, a manager should make it his business to pay attention to those details. Beware if you have a party of 6 or more there is a 20% gratuity automatically added to your bill. If your service is mediocre at best, request a percentage that reflects your service. A "Tip" is just that!Special Features:
- Great BrunchBigHungryDined on 2/23/2014Brunch was great, not too busy, but not empty. Food was very good and had a great selection. Smaller plates with individual sides. Very kid friendly; however, did not use the kids menu, nor see if they had oneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice H Street VenuestaceyvzDined on 2/22/2014Met an out-of-town friend to explore H Street. This was a good spot. One qualm was that I'd requested a table upstairs and we were seated downstairs and this meant we couldn't order from the bar menu. The drinks were delicious and the atmosphere was active and enjoyable, but conversation was not drown out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!kmysDined on 2/22/2014We ordered a bottle of wine and some appetizers to share. Everything we ordered was great but I strongly recommend to order Caesar Salad. Their Casar Salad is not a Caesar Salad you know. Well executed and they brought that salad to the next level. We also had Ceviche and fries. They were both good, too. After eating all those, we were quite full but wanted to try a meat dish so we ordered the beef sliders. They were also really good. We liked everything we ordered. The service was great. Our waitress always came around at a perfect timing. We made a reservation at 6:30 Saturday evening and dined there about 2 hours. When we were leaving the restaurant, the place was full and many people were waiting at the front. People love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- H Street diningwendfishVIPDined on 2/22/2014We went before a show @ Atlas, so this was convenient. We got there @ 5:15 & were the only people there, which was fine, though always a bit strange. We ordered a bottle of the Zinzilla, after tasting a couple wines. They have a pretty good selection. We then ordered the Smith salad to share & it was split for us. My bf didn't like the salad bc he said the iceberg lettuce was wet & there was too much dressing. I thought it was ok. I ordered the cod & it was perfectly cooked inside. I don't like onions & there were a ton on top. I should have thought to ask for them to be removed. My bf got the hanger steak, which he said was just ok. He thought it had too much seasoning. We'll check out other places in the neighborhood before we come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!dccateDined on 2/8/2014A friend and I has a reservation but the table on the first floor was in an awkward place and the noise level was high so we ended up on the third level which was perfect. The bartender-server was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. We had intended to have meals but ended up noshing on the tacos, tuna tartar, green beans and mac and cheese and we were not disappointed. We also enjoyed the house cabernet which was very nice and reasonably priced. Overall it was a very enjoyable evening, great service, great food! Cannot wait to return.Special Features:
- Brunch was Bad.AliaDined on 2/2/2014Ambience: LOVE this space. Service: super friendly, but the food took something like 45 minutes to come and there were only 3 or 4 other tables in the place, tops. Food: Wanted very much to like it, but really didn't. I went halvsies on the burger and fried chicken sandwich. First off, the cheese that they add to the burger is a shredded cheddar that doesn't melt properly. Who puts shredded cheese on a burger? The patty was shaped more like a golf ball than a hockey puck. And it all just tasted...ok. The fried chicken sandwich was not good. The bread was super hard - we had to eat it open face. The chicken was dry. The "avocado" was actually a guacamole that did not taste freshly made. The cheese on it was odd and chewy and tasteless.
- 30th Birthday SuccessNessDined on 2/1/2014I chose Smith Commons as the location to celebrate my 30th birthday because the food quality is consistently good, drinks are great, and the atmosphere is energetic without being obnoxiously loud/overcrowded. We had a party of 8 and everyone loved their food, splitting the check was not a challenge, and we never waited a long time for drinks, and the ambiance was perfect for the event. We tried a variety of dishes. The winning appetizers were the short ribs and the tuna tartar. The winning entrees were the spice rubbed lamb chops and the sous vide moulard duck breast. The duck entree was incredibly good! For dessert we had the bourbon bread pudding which was delicious and a large portion. If you like bourbon, get the James Brown Derby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Nearly as Good as First VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/31/2014We first ate at Smith Commons exactly one week before this most recent visit. The first time we were there the food was AMAZING - and so accommodating of my need for a gluten-free meal. It was the best restaurant food we'd had in years. Imagine our disappointment the following week when, having ordered the exact same dishes, the food wasn't as good. In fact the food wasn't even prepared the same way. My salmon, which had been simple, elegant and delicious, had totally different accompaniments - even though I ordered it exactly the same. My spouse's ravioli had a different texture and taste from the previous week. We'll probably try it again in hopes last Friday was a fluke.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rock Concert VittlesKingVIPDined on 1/25/2014Loudest place I've ever eaten at in my life. Walking in, one woman was actually screaming to her companions and nobody seemed bother. Being placed in the back, I thought we would be okay but a group of four women was just as loud. I call it the "Real Housewives Syndrome" because everyone wants their fifteen minutes of attention The group of women left and was replaced by the screaming waiter. The food was fine but all was destroyed by the noise level, and this is coming from someone who eats out in Miami regularly, home of the bombastic people in restaurants. I feel for the people working there, for they are not going to have any hearing left working there.
- Pre-Atlas DinnerJohnDined on 1/24/2014I picked Smith Commons because it was near the Atlas Theater and it had solid on-line ratings. All four in our party were impressed with the food, service, and atmosphere. The scallops on the menu seemed interesting. I was a little suspicious that the dusting of gingerbread might be cloying. However, the salt from the arugula salad blended well with the rich, buttery scallops and mildly sweet gingerbread sprinkled on top. One suggestion: modify the white wine menu. It is too heavy on chardonnay options, and the sauvignon blanc they offer was weak, without any citrus crispness. The warm bread pudding was fresh and delicious, and clearly had not been sitting around getting too dense and flabby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/24/2014Food was excellent and worth the wait, but we had to rush to catch the show next door.Special Features:
- Great Ambience, Food Lacking FlavorOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/19/2014I went here for brunch with my girlfriend on Sunday and I was excited. However, once the food came, it was lacking proper season g, so of course, the meal was bland and not as flavorful as it should have been. Disappointing as I wanted to like this place.
- Awful experience, Awful serviceCassieDined on 1/18/2014We ordered 5 drinks. They brought 2 beers. 10 min.later, another beer and a wine. My last friend to receive his drink waited over 30 minutes for a BEER. He had to stand up and tell the waitress he was going to get it himself before she brought it to him. I ordered a salad as an appetizer and burger as my entree. They didn't bring the salad with the apps. By the time the entrees came out we'd been there for nearly 2 hours. They bring me the wrong salad that was my friend's entree and didn't bring my burger. So they initially brought me no food and the waitress said she thought I only ordered a salad (despite writing it down and our conversations about the ingredients in both). Burger comes and it is dry and on a jalapeno bun (not on menu)
- Excellent food; service needsJK33VIPDined on 1/18/2014Excellent food; service needs to step up a few notches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceDessertAnoGoDined on 1/18/2014Stumbled across here after hastely leaving H Street Country Club (worst experience ever). This place is amazing! Will be returning very soon. Make sure to order appetizers to get full but the food is amazinly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodEj2peDined on 1/16/2014First time here in smith commons really good food Surprisingly good restaurant middle of H street NE. Definitely going back. Try codfish and duck breast. Good service.Special Features:
- Great for dinner with friendsjfleeshDined on 1/10/2014Two friends and I met here for dinner on a Friday night and had a great time. I'm happy we made a reservation though as the place did begin to fill up. Their wine list was extensive and I really enjoyed the glass I had. Their food was delicious and wished I had just a bit more to my portion because it was so yummy! The portion size was probably appropriate, I just really enjoyed the dish. My apartment's rewards card gets us a discount here, so we'll definitely be back many times.Special Features:
- Atlas Performing Arts Center GemRColtonDined on 1/4/2014The surroundings are simple and the menu is limited, but the the food is surprisingly complex. I enjoyed gingered sauteed scallops with arugula on a bed of fresh corn with a Dashwood Sauvignon Blanc. My husband ordered the filet mignon special with elk pate on a bed of creamed parsnips. We shared chocolate mousse with white chocolate gelato for dessert. Everything was beautifully presented. Service was friendly, but the kitchen was a little slow even though the place was not full. The owner stopped by our table to check on how we were enjoying our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine Flavors and PresentationcrispyfishDined on 12/31/2013Sequin-Manuel Meursault Chardonnay, 2010, France Educated Guess, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2011, Napa Valley First Course Starter Elk & Bresaola Carpaccio - Fried egg yolk, Chives and Truffle emulsion, Creamy Dijon served with Mixed Greens and Plantain Chips Tuna Tartar - Capers, Mustard Seed Oil, Avocado and Guacamole Puree, Tobiko, Served with Yucca Chips Second Course Entree Sous Vide Canadian Swordfish - Brandade, Escabeche, Roasted Cherry Tomato and Shell Fis-Veloute Sous Vide Angus Tenderloin - Parsnips Puree, Saute Swiss Chard, Foie Gras & Truffle Butter with a Red Wine, Rosemary Jus Third Course Mille Feuille Chantilly Chocolate Mousse Served with White Chocolate GelatoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.