1245 H Street NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
H Street Corridor
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.smithcommonsdc.com/
- Phone: (202) 396-0038
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 5pm—10pm (Smith Hour all night, bar menu only) Tuesday-Thursday: 5pm-2am Friday: 5pm-3am Saturday: 3pm—7pm Smith Hour; 5pm—3am Sunday: 11am-3pm brunch; 3pm-7pm Smith Hour; 5pm-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Carlos Delgado
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please inquire with General Manager Sheldon Robinson for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Smith Commons has numerous space, food, and drink options for your private gathering, small or large.
- Private Party Contact: Anh Chau 2023960038
- Entertainment: Specially selected musical selections will fill the dining room and "Commons" levels on two and three nightly with an eclectic array of sounds and artists. The Commons third level also includes a viewing screen for films and other digital media entertainment.
- Special Events: Smith Commons has two special spaces available for private events: the second floor bar and lounge and the third floor "Smith" Room. Reservations and arrangements are required to host any events at Smith Commons. Please inquire with General Manager Anna-Marie Ashe for more information.
- Cross Street: 12th Street, NE
- Public Transit: The two closest Metro stations to Smith Commons are the Red Line stops at New York Ave./Florida Ave./Gallaudet University Station and at Union Station. From the Metro stops, take a cab or X2 bus or walk to 1245 H St. NE. There is also a Capital Bikeshare station at 13th and H Streets.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: There is metered and non-metered parking on H Street and on residential side streets.
A word from Smith Commons
Smith Commons Dining Room & Public House is a three-story neighborhood bistro on the H Street NE corridor in the Atlas Arts District. With an international menu of approachable cuisine and an array of craft beers, wines and cocktails at three bars, Smith Commons offers something for every palate. The well-honed interiors, outdoor spaces and eclectic music welcome Smiths and friends nightly. Smith Commons is a different kind of dining destination in Washington, D.C., serving artfully crafted dishes prepared by chefs with multicontinental flare, without the white tablecloths or the pretense. Executive Chef Carlos Delgado creates a fresh new menu each month, with inspirations from around the globe and from the greater mid-Atlantic region. Chef Delgado his experience at some of the finest dining rooms in the area, as well as a stage at elBuli in Barcelona to the table. Well-paired bar food complements the vast array of libations, craft and beer, and extensive wine selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Smith Commons reviews from OpenTable diners
- Fun, trendy, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/24/2013We were looking for a place in the Atlas district close to the beer garden. Smith Commons fit the bill -- good food, not too expensive. Good atmosphere -- modern decor, lively feel. Decent wine list and beer list. I had the seafood fettucini. Solid dish, and the cream sauce was light. It wasn't overly large. My wife had the scallops, also good. Overall, I would go there again, but I'm not in a huge rush.Special Features:
- Smith Commons is one of myOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013Smith Commons is one of my favorite spots on H Street NE for dinner - the short ribs & scallops are awesome, and great drink menu as well - I'm partial to the Christiansted. I'd never been for brunch before, though, and was happy to find it's just as good during the daylight hours! The challah bread French toast is legit challah bread as opposed to just thick toast, which a lot of places seem to try to pass off. The Sunday I went was also not overly crowded, and service was great!Special Features:
- Disappointed in 2d VisitPerkDined on 5/11/2013The first time I went to Smith Commons, I gave it rave reviews. The service and food were great! This time not so much. The service was terrible. We waited around for a server for at least 20 minutes before I had to flag someone down. The food was less than impressive. The first time I went was around 7pm. This time was after a show at the Atlas and it was around 10pm. This late night reservation may have a lot to do with the poort service and drop in food quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2013Very noisy. Food was fine but a bit slow after ordering.
- busy place with great cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2013busy place with great cocktails and wine list. seafood pasta and lamb both very good.Special Features:
- WORST SERVICE EVEROpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/25/2013The service was ridiculously slow, we had to has for everything They brought drinks long after we got in and then served appetizers and side dishes that were for main meal simultaneously . Main meals were served after sides had been eaten . They said they were understaffed yet waiters ate dinner at the bar as we sat there waiting and three waiters smoked outside in lot as we waited for dessert. It took almost four hrs for the group to eat . The food was very good, but service ruined the entire experience.
- Smith Commons has consistentlyFarzNYPhlDcVIPDined on 4/13/2013Smith Commons has consistently good service from waiters and bar staff. The food has been consistently yummy as well. My only issue is that generally, the host/hostess stand up front is understaffed and when they are staffed are not extremely welcoming or enthusiastic. For being the first point of contact, I would expect higher standards for their host/hostess staff.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful dinnerBessDined on 4/13/2013We had a wonderful dinner here. The service was excellent and we enjoyed our meals very much. I had a scallop dish on special that was wonderful-- I hope they put it on the regular menu! We will be back.Special Features:
- Midweek dinner was disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/9/2013Midweek dinner was disappointing compared to the service I've seen over the weekend. Servers seemed a little less attentive and the food presentation was not the same exacting plating we had seen on prior visit. I'm hoping we see a change or two in the menu for the summer as well. Items on there are great but looking for something new. Noise level is robust so I would not recommend Smith for people who have any trouble hearing as conversation can be difficult with the accoustics.Special Features:
- As others have warned, theOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/6/2013As others have warned, the service was slow. We were seated promptly but then waited maybe 15 or 20 minutes before someone took our drink order, and then only because two people in our party of five went up to the hostess separately to ask if a waiter could come to the table. Four of the five dishes were tasty, but the pork was tough and dry. The dessert also did not live up to the menu description.
- Very good food, noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/23/2013Very good food, noise level made it difficult to hear table conversation.Special Features:
- Took my husband here for hisDianeDined on 3/23/2013Took my husband here for his birthday. I had found Smith Commons on Washington Post under their new recommended restaurants. Really like the location and the interior of the restaurant was great. Unfortunately, it was a busy night, and our server was extremely overwhelmed. Our food had clearly been sitting for a while under a heat lamp,my husband's pork was so over-cooked, he had to saw it with a steak knife. I had the Haddock which was fine. The beer menu was also not up-to-date, so our waiter had to go through everything they didn't have available. I would be willing to give Smith Commons another shot, but probably stick with their more basic menu items.
- I went with a group of girlfriendsfoodieDined on 3/23/2013I went with a group of girlfriends to celebrate my birthday. The food was really good and the service too. I would go again.Special Features:
- Food was very good, but servicePiriegDined on 3/22/2013Food was very good, but service was inefficient -- waitress was in constant motion but seemed to get little done, and her tables were at two ends of the restaurant. Forgot to bring water and table settings for one of us, forgot to bring a drink order until reminded, etc. Like many new restaurants, the acoustics are terrible -- all hard surfaces, nothing to absorb sound on floors, walls, ceilings, so noise level reached shouting levels, especially with a very "vibrant bar scene" in the front of the first floor space. Needs something to soften or break up this reverberating racket.Special Features:
- I've been to Smith CommonsdeeflyyVIPDined on 3/22/2013I've been to Smith Commons many times and think it's the best restaurant on the up and coming H Street corridor. The food was good as always and they accommodated one diner's dietary restrictions. The only drawbacks this go round were 1) the timing of the food. it took at least 30 minutes for our food to arrive once we ordered. there was a large party dining that evening but i was still thrown off by the wait. 2) I ordered a sweet red wine and was disappointed to only get 2.5 ounces for $7. A waiter tried to explain that was due to the higher alcohol content but I'm not buying it. There was beer with that same alcohol content which they don't parse out. It wasn't a dessert wine and if they're going to teetotal, they shouldn't offer itSpecial Features:
- Wait staff very personable2ndThursdayDined on 3/14/2013Wait staff very personable and attentive. Food good altho menu somewhat limited in choices. Parking awful.Special Features:
- The food in the dining roomNeighborVIPDined on 3/9/2013The food in the dining room was excellent and the service was good, but the bar upstairs was abysmal. It took forever to get a drink and the waitress spent more time at the register than she did waiting on tables. The moise is way too loud for the dining room. You cannot have a conversation across the table. Too bad, because the menu is wonderful and the food is really great.Special Features:
- Love Smith Commons! Food isOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/9/2013Love Smith Commons! Food is amazing and our server Hugo was enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the food. Dishes are complex with real depth of flavor. We've tried all the fish dishes, the duck, and the pork. All are fantastic.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant withOrlandoVIPDined on 3/8/2013Wonderful restaurant with a selection of food that is always fresh and well made. The restaurant is rather loud and difficult to engage in conversation without yelling. If not for the wonderful food, courteous staff, and hip location I would have to hold back.Special Features:
- Not bad but didn't overwhelmDavidCDined on 3/8/2013It was a first time there. It took a while for them to decide on who was going to serve us but once we got past that service was fine. Menus was creative but execution was ok. The food was,a little bland but had good ideas.Special Features:
- I will call next time. SeatingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013I will call next time. Seating arraignment was odd.Special Features:
- We were excited to try someplaceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/1/2013We were excited to try someplace new and liked the atmosphere. The service was good if a bit quirky. Unfortunately we were a bit disappointed in the food. The menu sounded great, but dishes fell short in both presentation and taste.
- I think the food was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/22/2013I think the food was good but it was so noisy in the restaurant it was hard to concentrate. It was 9:30 Friday night- next time I'll go before the show instead of after.Special Features:
- Overall good experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/16/2013Overall good experience. We really enjoyed sitting at the bar, and the signature drinks were great. However, once we sat down at a table, the service was less strong. The food was good, but somehow my meal was very cold when it arrived, while everything else was warm. It tasted good so I didn't complain, but it was odd.Special Features:
- Disappointed in restaurant weekAnissaaVIPDined on 2/15/2013My biggest issue is that they ONLY had their restaurant week menu available. We would not have booked there if we'd known that the full menu was not available.Special Features:
- Although not a large menu,JTNUGENTVIPDined on 2/14/2013Although not a large menu, the food was amazing and impeccably designed. Our server was jovial, helpful and generous with his time. Although we had only ordered our first glass, our waiter was kind enough to top off our glasses with the rest of the bottle. What a wonderful surprise! The Valentine's Day Prix-fixe set was a great deal, I wish they had deals like that more often.Special Features:
- Potential, but best for brunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2013We went to Smith Commons on Valentine's Day. I had checked out their menu online, but then they had a "special" menu for the occasion. It wasn't very good and overpriced for the quality. I like splurging on great food and do so often, but I was underwhelmed by Smith Commons's dinner. But, I have really liked their brunch and their cocktails are well crafted. It's worth giving them a try. The ambiance reminds me of low-key, hipster joints in Brooklyn.
- My steak was cooked perfectly!Jnr2Dined on 2/13/2013My steak was cooked perfectly! Great wine list! My only issue was that I didn't think that any of our desserts were good. The flour-less cheesecake was more like really hard ice cream. I would definitely go back, but maybe pick up dessert somewhere else on H-Street? It's definitely a great place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Excellent food. Haddock wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/10/2013Excellent food. Haddock was cooked to perfection and the ravioli was also delicious. Nice to find good vegetarian selections. The flourless cheesecake was a bit boring. We felt ignored by our server. He forgot to bring us our drink order and a side dish that we ordered. Did not stop by to see how things were going, so we could not remind him to bring the side. The server also could not say anything about the chocolate dessert except that it was made out of chocolate and tasted really good.Special Features:
- this place never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/10/2013this place never disappoints and it really doesn't feel like a dc establishment. it's a great restaurant hidden inside a neighborhood pub. i will obviously keep coming back.Special Features:
- The food was excellent, butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/9/2013The food was excellent, but the service was horrible. We were seated a little late, which was fine, but didn't have a waiter stop at our table for 20 minutes after our scheduled reservation time. He took a very long time to bring our drinks, food, and check on our status. My friend and I are in our late 30s and he called us "girls" repeatedly. He also gave inaccurate descriptions of the menu items. I don't know if it was because it was restaurant week or not...but I probably won't be back.
- Great for Restaurant Week!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/7/2013The beer and cocktails were awesome and very well priced. The food was amazing for a restaurant week deal. I really felt like I got my monies worth. I don't think I could afford to eat here otherwise on an educators salary.Special Features:
- OK neighborhood place. NotOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/7/2013OK neighborhood place. Not sure what the hype is about
- Great ambiance, good solidNicoleDined on 2/7/2013Great ambiance, good solid food, and friendly, helpful service. Restaurant week menu was a little limited, but it whet my appetite to come back and try the full menu. Really interesting wine list.Special Features:
- We went for restaurant week.Myshell13Dined on 2/6/2013We went for restaurant week. The food was not very good. The hangar steak consisted of 4 small pieces of meat and came out undercooked and when sent back and returned the other items were ice cold. Service started out attentive but worsened over the course of the meal. No water refills even after requesting them. I would not go again.
- HORRIBLE serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/5/2013The food was actually pretty good once we got it. We showed up for restaurant week, an okay deal I guess, at 7:30. We sat down at our table at 7:33. Our server took our drink order at 7:48 and we gave him our food order as well. Our drinks came at 7:58 and our appetizers came at 8:40. I'm pretty certain our server forgot to put our order in and we reminded him twice before we think he finally did. The rest of the meal went okay, side from our soft drinks going empty and unfilled for 20 minutes at a time. The service was just so abhorrant that I will not go back to this restaurant.
- Good deal for restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/5/2013Good deal for restaurant week however not very crowded and service was still not very attentiveSpecial Features:
- It was our first visit andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013It was our first visit and we were impressed. The place was pretty noisy, but it was a Friday night and busy, and everyone was having a good time. Our server, Jermaine was excellent: he clearly knew and could recommend both food and wine offerings, was attentive but not interruptive, and made us feel very welcome. The ceviche was very good, especially the sauce. The swordfish dish was good but the portion was small. The turducken was interesting and the potatoes and sauce were great, but the turkey bacon lacked flavor and the wax beans were too heavy for the dish. Overall, we'd rate our experience there very positively.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/27/2013Food was really wonderful - all had greatly varying dishes that were all done equally well. The service was very slow.Special Features:
- A good time and very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/26/2013A good time and very good food. Would have bumped up my rating a bit, but they were late with our reservation by 30 minutes and no one seemed to care. Service struggled a bit, our server seemed like she would have much rather been somewhere else that night. Plus side, food was tasty and their beer and wine list was extensive. Restaurant interior is very attractive, brick walls and hardwood give it a very warm feeling.Special Features: