Smith & Wollensky - New York
797 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Smith & Wollensky - New York
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.smithandwollenskynyc.com/
- Phone: 2127531530
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:45am-3:00pm
Monday - Friday 3:00pm-11:00pm
Saturday & Sunday 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Victor Chavez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Wine
A word from Smith & Wollensky - New York
One of America's most successful restaurants, this New York steakhouse opened in 1977 and has been a hit ever since. It is one of the most trafficked restaurants in New York City and among the most celebrated steakhouses in the world. Specializing in fresh seafood and lobster and assorted steaks and chops, Smith & Wollensky is well recognized for its healthy portions, seasoned service staff and pop Americana ambience. The painted wood exterior is dark forest green trim on sparkling white, with latticework trim. The elegant interior has turn-of-the-century appeal and design elements including shining brass, dark wood accents and polished wood floors. Adjacent to Smith & Wollensky's is Wollensky's Grill. The Grill (entrance on 49th St) is open from 11:30AM till 2:00AM but does not accept reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Smith & Wollensky - New York reviews from OpenTable diners
339 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (176)notable wine list (129)fit for foodies (117)good for groups (97)romantic (51)neighborhood gem (47)great for lunch (47)hot spot (35)vibrant bar scene (32)late-night find (20)great for outdoor dining (19)kid-friendly (14)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Wonderful NY steakhouseLiz6843Dined on 10/28/2014Go for the steak but the veal chop or lamb chops are just as tasty too. This is a real NYC steakhouse but casual so the staff makes you feel welcomed whether you are in business clothes or in jeans. Everything is a la carte so the final tab can be pricey but the quality of the food is well worth it. We shared the delicious hash browns, the creamed spinach and the caesar salad. And still had plenty of leftovers to pack up and bring home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just the nameOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2014The service and wine list are very good but my wife steak was cold and mine overcook. For the prices they charge everything should be perfect.Special Features:
- Great service, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014I went with my boyfriend for the first time. We had a decent size check and ordered delicious food and wine with a wonderful and very knowledgeable waiter, patrick. Would go there again and recommend to others. They let us sit right away even though we came an hour early to our reservation. Our waiter bought us dessert and espresso at the end of our meal. You can tell he was an experienced waiter and we were very pleased with the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Perfect!!!eli12VIPDined on 10/27/2014I took my very dear friend here for his 65th Birthday, and it was perfect. It was a wonderful added extra when all of the waiters came to sing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding servicetheatergoer25Dined on 10/25/2014We celebrated our anniversary with a terrific meal and fantastic service. Our waiter was attentive, helpful, professional and awesome! The seafood bouquet appetizer was worth the price! So fresh and delicious. The filet mignon was outstanding and the onion rings were the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak in NYCJeffDined on 10/25/2014We saw this restaurant on the travel channel - and in recent months I have had the opportunity to try multiple high-end steakhouses across the country - this one is easily number one'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakMegsssDined on 10/25/2014This was the first steak I've had in NY since coming to live here, and I savored every piece of it. The dishes were delicious. The restaurant was lovely. Take a look at the art work in the hallways. Waiters were friendly. Couldn't have asked for better service overall!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Great service, great food, giant portions! Maybe not the must fancy steakhouse i have been to but one of the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bit priceyfamilyeaterDined on 10/24/2014I've not been to this restaurant for a few years and thought I would take the kids. Waiters are really friendly and chatty and the restaurant is a nice place to be. The food was good, but not outstanding and as such I think $50 for a steak of this standard is a bit pricey and overall I felt a bit cheated.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic SteakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014A true New York steakhouse. A must for foodies. Have been to many steak restaurants in and out of town. This is on par with anything out there. An old "Classic" oozing with character.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steakhouse restaurantNunoDined on 10/21/2014If you are hungry and of you like meat, this place si one of the best. Steaks are so delicious and well prepared. Big space with 2 floors, perfect place for lunch or dinner with family or friends. But very noisy.Special Features:
- top notchjunojeffDined on 10/20/2014Very pleased. Lived up to high expectations of food and service. Cajun rib-eye steak lived up to its billing. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A superb dinner!Amb123Dined on 10/19/2014When you come to S&W, you pretty much know what you're in for... However, showing up on a Sunday at 10:45 pm for literally the last seating, I was astonished at how friendly the waitstaff was! You could tell they had just gotten slammed unexpectedly around 10:15 (even my date and I were shocked how many people were there that late) and despite this, we were still able to thoroughly enjoy ourselves. Cudos to the staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak Steak SteakChrisZarateDined on 10/18/2014Best Steakhouse in the planet !!! You couldn't for a better place when it comes to food and service...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for datingbruceweiDined on 10/18/2014I choose this restaurant for dating, satisfied. Good service, good music, delicious beef. A little bit expensive, but everything is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a pleasureJosephDined on 10/17/2014Smith & Wollensky - New York on 3rd ave. is consistently a pleasurable experience. Great service, excellent food. Do check out the wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- webuffdinerDined on 10/16/2014We live a few blocks from W. Buffett, asked for a table near his, and got one! Bronco and his assistant were so kind, and the food was excellent! We will be back next time we are in NYC. Thanks Bronco and staff.Special Features:
- Steak Lovers Must!kpopenDined on 10/14/2014Fantastic Steaks backed by a great wine list. The review needs to be 50 characters but really this place doesnt need extra superlatives, its food speask for itself. Go for the Cajun Rub, you wont be sorry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining that can get betterCrazybigsteakDined on 10/13/2014Food was okay, relatively expensive for the quality, yet portions were great. Ambience is good, over all experience wasn't bad.Special Features:
- amazingbabyfaceDined on 10/13/2014Best steak ever hands down worth every penny. Premium meat at its prime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NY SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Great selection of steaks. I had a very good, large fillet - not cheap, but good value. Wine menu was good - but a bit pricey. Service was efficient and helpful - no complaints at all. I wish I had left room for dessert - they looked great. The restaurant was busy which gave it a friendly buzz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good wine but badly cooked steakZenNewYorkDined on 10/13/2014The cold seafood platter was absolutely delicious and super-fresh. The steak was disappointing. It was charred so black I tasted the bitterness of the charcoal more than the dry cooked meat. Other people at my table either got the steak too raw for their medium rare cook or too dry for a medium like mine. Not worth the money for the expensive level of grill you pay for.Special Features:
- Awesome bone-in steaksSizzlingsteaksDined on 10/12/2014We had the bone-in filet & new york strip. Both were fantastic. For an appetizer we had the barratta/tomato salad - I can not even tell you how fantastic this was!! It is a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best Birthday dinner in my lifeluv2eatsteakDined on 10/11/2014we come over from Germany and my mother invited to my 21st birthday dinner: it was outstanding, such a delicious steak, never had this beforeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dream in a bite!LMBCHPS4LIFEDined on 10/11/2014I'm not a meat enthusiast, but I closed my eyes when I tasted my first piece of well done lamb chops. It was like heaven to any taster's palate, melting in my mouth, even knowing that it's well done. The wine was excellent.The atmosphere was great, just great people getting together to have fun times and good memories. The staff were very attentive to your every need and treated you like family. It was a very warm, inviting environment. Definitely a place my family and I will go to for years to come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LrjinewyorkDined on 10/10/2014The Meat was good but too expensive. We were seated in an area where the floor was tremplin. I guess the kitchen with irs ventilation was right belowSpecial Features:
- FOOD IS WORTH ITWineAndDineDined on 10/7/2014Despite having to pry the information out of the seemingly annoyed waiters and supporting service staff, the food here is excellent. The staff doesn't seem too keen on offering information, but with some tenacity, you can force some valuable information about your meal out of them. Exhausting as it may be, the food is worth it. They also make a super strong Mai Tai. Love it try the NY Strip (bone-in), seafood special appetizer (large portion) and the pea soup. The Mac & Cheese is packed with truffle oil - avoid if, like my fiancé, you don't favor the taste of truffle oil. Overall, worth the $ and a neighborhood staple. Bon appetite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnrivaledAltom22Dined on 10/6/2014For my is S&W the best restaurant in NYC - i love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!!ADN1VIPDined on 10/6/2014Best Bone In Ribeye Steak in NYC! Period!!! No other place can match them!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodRogerbrDined on 10/5/2014Very good restaurant,friendly team,good food,its a great night for my and my familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb steakhouse!GoncaDined on 10/3/2014I really liked everything from the service to the food to the ambiance. The New York Tb one steak and filet mignon were cooked perfectly & full of flavorSpecial Features:
- Great seafood and steaksartistinresidenceBrooklynDined on 10/3/2014Strong points: amazing seafood plateau and steaks; disappointing lamb chops, and I do not recommend the crab cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst steaks ever had in USClausDined on 10/3/2014Went there with my wife and son for the steaks. Was now for the second time that the steak quality was not satisfying - steaks did not have the right temperatur/ cooking and all were partially burned/ black on the ouside - service was very friendly but they confused the orders: they served me the medium-plus steak that was ordered by my son We should have sent the steaks back, unfortunately we didn't For starter we had shrimp coctail which was goodSpecial Features:
- Meat Perfect, Fish terribleBSCLDined on 10/3/2014I took the Colorado rib which was perfect but the red snapper was very well done and dry. For larger menues the tables (2 persons) are perfect, bigger than normal and all side dishes fitting on. Even in the restaurant the lights are dimmed to call it romantic some candle lights were missing. ThxSpecial Features:
- Beware new ownerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/3/2014Legendary steak place now owned by some new chain group and simply not on par with sparks (e46) or BLT(57th, BLT is a chain but the one of. 57 amazing$ ) mhhSpecial Features:
- Where we celebratePicadorDined on 10/2/2014This has become our go-to spot to celebrate very special occasions. Most recent a new job. Food is fabulous, service outstanding and nothing says congratulations like a porterhouse or rib-eye done right.Special Features:
- DisappointingEandCompanyDined on 10/1/2014The wine was great. Calamari was great! Then came the surprise. 3 out of 5 steaks were over cooked. Not what you would expect from a steakhouse.Special Features:
- ok, but not greatinvestor57Dined on 10/1/2014My dinner partners had the turf and surf and they said theirs was good, my sirloin steak was okay, but not what i was expecting from a good New York steakhouse.Special Features:
- Great meatWineAndDineDined on 10/1/2014That's about it. The service is at times questionable. Et, the food keeps me coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!!!LD2014Dined on 9/27/2014The food was totally amazing! We loved everything we tried and the portion sizes were very generous. The service was good and efficient - but maybe just a little old fashioned and stuffy for our taste. The resturant is large with the tables well spaced apart, the overall atmosphere is fairly formalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.