Smith & Wollensky - New York
797 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Smith & Wollensky - New York
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.smithandwollenskynyc.com/
- Phone: 2127531530
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:45am-3:00pm
Monday - Friday 3:00pm-11:00pm
Saturday & Sunday 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Victor Chavez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Wine
A word from Smith & Wollensky - New York
One of America's most successful restaurants, this New York steakhouse opened in 1977 and has been a hit ever since. It is one of the most trafficked restaurants in New York City and among the most celebrated steakhouses in the world. Specializing in fresh seafood and lobster and assorted steaks and chops, Smith & Wollensky is well recognized for its healthy portions, seasoned service staff and pop Americana ambience. The painted wood exterior is dark forest green trim on sparkling white, with latticework trim. The elegant interior has turn-of-the-century appeal and design elements including shining brass, dark wood accents and polished wood floors. Adjacent to Smith & Wollensky's is Wollensky's Grill. The Grill (entrance on 49th St) is open from 11:30AM till 2:00AM but does not accept reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Smith & Wollensky - New York reviews from OpenTable diners
314 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (156)notable wine list (115)fit for foodies (93)good for groups (89)great for lunch (53)neighborhood gem (44)romantic (42)hot spot (36)vibrant bar scene (29)great for outdoor dining (18)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Same old good qualityRogerVIPDined on 8/31/2014The same every time I come. The best steakhouse. What a pea soup!!!Special Features:
- Incredible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014S&W was absolutely fantastic! The waiters are set for making your night a very special one. They went beyond in our case to produce something out of the menu to please us (roasted garlic). The food is amazing and the wine was perfect. Great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Steak LoversOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014If you like outstanding steaks US-style this is the right place to be!Special Features:
- Restaurant VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Excellent food and great service from Nick added to the experience. Will certainly tell friends of the experience back in Scotland and be back when next in New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NY institutionMrsYoungVIPDined on 8/29/2014They were very courteous and attentive. Food was great as expected!Special Features:
- Fletch's TakeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Your restaurant was recommended to us by a friend , the meal itself was a disappointment, we have had a lot better in New York on our visit the previous year. The "chap" looking after us at our table was very matter of fact (table 22), no help and whilst we had forgotten the size of portions, we ordered far too much and he was happy to let us, last year at the Strip House restaurant , the advice we received was far better. Whilst I expected the check to be around $200 we were in less than 1 hour and left , I gave the "chap" $250 , he didn't ask if I wanted change , just took the cash and started chatting with another waiter, as we got up to leave he did not even acknowledge us. Will not be back .. Jim Fletcher England
- Avril KavanaghOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014We had a dinner here on our last night in New York... Simply SUPERB!!.. the service, the food and the wine.. we were given a complimentary glass of champagne and a free taster of the New York Cheesecake.. We ordered lobster for starters and the the rib eye and the New York sirloins on the bone for our main .. huge plate fulls, all cooked to perfection, a culinary delight.. The staff were friendly and attentive, the standard of their service was exemplary... what a great way to end our holiday. I would recommend it highly to any one visiting New YorkSpecial Features:
- poorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Air con was on full blast. It was freezing cold. We booked a table but had to wait 20 mins to be seated. We had to ask for bread, water and pepper. Took so long I had to find pepper myself. There was no room for everything on table so we moved some on window sil. Waiter was not happy but then had nowhere to put things so left them there. They also tried to charge us for an extra glass of wine. Other than terrible service the food was ok. But at $50 / head just for meat , this is the least you would expect. Will never go back
- Great choice for our anniversaryTheGooniesDined on 8/23/2014We were 15 minutes early for our reservations but were seated immediately. It was me and my wife's first experience at a real steak house and Smith & Wollensky was recommended by a couple of friends, we thanked them afterwards. All the staff we encountered were courteous and friendly. Our waiter, Nick, was an old school gentleman and took great care of us during our dinner. We ordered the porterhouse for two with a baked potato and the creamed spinach, which a little salty for our taste but serviceable. The porterhouse was amazing! My wife and I were in steak heaven... We don't have any steak house experience to weigh Smith & Wollensky against, but we had a good time and a great steak. We will be back.Special Features:
- The Captains TableDoczingDined on 8/23/2014I used to be a frequent patron of "smith and wallys" for years and it always was a wonderful treat. Given that during those years I had a decent expense account and this was our place of choice I always had the perfect food and drink. After the whole financial fiasco starting in 2008 my job and expense account went bye bye and money was tight. Treating myself to a gourmet meal was not in the plan because I had twins that needed just about everything. So my "smith and wollensky" days were over. Along with the others. (park ave cafe, cite, post house) all of which I frequented. 2014 I returned to find that from steerage to captains table we all were treated equal. wonderful and professional.Once again S&W rules the restaurant world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks to perfectionRogerVIPDined on 8/22/2014Steaks to perfection all the time and the house steak sauce make the Smith and Wollensky steak my favorite in the city! The staff is first rate and super friendly!Special Features:
- ExcellentFernandoDined on 8/22/2014Awesome food and Service. I will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too noisy beside great meatrueaswDined on 8/21/2014Besides excellent meat, the noise level was much too high, you needed to scream at the waiter so he understood, permanently they check how far you are to get you off your table, the host showing the table kept wandering thru the room.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014Not one steak was cooked right. Sub par cuts. Overseasoned. Unattentive staff.
- Fabulous!!ADN1VIPDined on 8/19/2014The Food was Fantastic!! The Bone In Ribeye Steaks are the BEST in NYC!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/17/2014pea soup was overly thick, steamed vegetables were almost raw, veal chop was too sweet.
- Disappointed in Smith and WollenskyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Party of 6 Saturday night and we had terrible service. For the price we pay for the food we expect a certain quality of service. Our server Karim failed to deliver any type of acceptable service. We have dined many times at S@W and this was by far the worst experience and will probably be our last time visiting.
- Very underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/16/2014Food was average at best. Way overpriced for what you get.
- Good time great steakthedarkestknightDined on 8/16/2014Legendary spot for steaks in Manhattan. The food was real good. Found it funny that the waiter never really asked us what we wanted for drinks, had to call him back for the three I had. Also found it weird that the place was only about 2/3's full at 8:00 on a Saturday night when we were leaving. We at early with a long train ride north home. I would recommend eating here for special occasions or with friends.Special Features:
- Steak was all wrong. Overcrowded.ftbowersDined on 8/15/2014This is the first online review I have ever written, because until now, I have never been so disappointed that I felt the need to make others aware of my experience. I ordered the 18 oz sirloin, but what actually came was most certainly no more than 12 oz. I ordered medium rare, and it came out on the well done side of medium. Having been eating steak at the finest steakhouses around the world for the past 25 years, I know what an 18 oz medium rare sirloin looks like, and this most certainly wasn't it. This most certainly wasn't a $50 steak. Regarding the ambience of the place, I found the tables to be extraordinarily small and crowded. My overall impression of Smith & Wollensky is that this is a restaurant trading on past reputation.
- Good steakElBiDined on 8/15/2014Good steak, big portion, very us style but a bit expensive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A NY StandardCTfoodieDined on 8/15/2014Went to S&W for a 60th birthday dinner and was not disappointed. The food was impeccable and the service very friendly and efficient. We made our theatre time without no problem and did not feel rushed in any way. If you're looking for a great steak, lobster or lamb chops this is the place. The waiter brought us a Rock & Rye after dinner, which was a lovely, unexpected after dinner treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendationhstrybuffDined on 8/14/2014Would have felt better if 2 sides had been included with our very excellent steakSpecial Features:
- Service ExcellentmatsonDined on 8/14/2014We celebrating 59 year anniversary. They gave us great attention and service. We had a filet and baked potato, both were cooked to perfection and generous portions. If we are in NYC again, we would go back.
- Perfect Steak DinnerMikeDined on 8/14/2014Really a delightful meal. Shrimp cocktail was special, so were the filets and the creamed spinach. Dessert was a bit small for the price. Overall, would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but very well worth itNunchyDined on 8/14/2014This was my first time dining here with my 8 year old. I have been here on business dinners previously. The staff were brilliant and it really added to the occasion. It was a brilliant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect apart from the foodJohan114Dined on 8/13/2014I had been recommended S&W by a friend who shared my taste in steak dinners. The place was magically ambient, and the service at just the right level. We ordered the Porterhouse, and instead of Medium rare it came out rare. Instead of bursting with flavour the piece of meat was bland and meaningless. I would have expected a better selection of meat for an establishment such as this. On a side note, the meat was as close to cold as is possible.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014rude service, we felt guilty for asking about the cut of steaks we were about to spend $70 each on. plates were plonked on the table and got the feeling they wanted us to leave to move the tables over. no thanks.
- A classic!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/12/2014The ultimate classic steak house. The great food was accompanied by excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok.....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014An ok steak restaurant....it was our second time eating here.....expensive and waiters including bar staff are v rude....the cost is way too excessive given the below par service. Will not be going back a third time.
- Great Placeclaygirl1965Dined on 8/9/2014As two of NYC's many visitors (first timers and unfamiliar), finding great places to eat can be tricky - especially if you are trying to find places popular with locals rather than tourists. Of all things, my husband & I found you on our Hop-on Hop-off tour. We immediately made reservations for that night. I'm happy we did. We came early to have a drink at the bar and found our bar-mates to be wonderful. The food and service was outstanding. I would recommend Smith & Wollensky to anyone.Special Features:
- Well done! :)PaveloDined on 8/8/2014As above mentioned, i've done always a good choice. I've often eaten in this restaurant. I'll come back...Special Features:
- DisappointedEnyouartistDined on 8/8/2014We ordered the two porterhouse for two, filet mignon, and the cowboy ribeye. All four guests at the table had to use salt and pepper to season their steak! For an expensive dry aged steak, having no flavor is just confounding. Furthermore, how hard is it to have a consistency in doneness? We asked for medium rare, and only the ribeye was fine...the powerhouse steak was cold red in the middle, and definitely very rare, not medium rare like we requested.
- OK....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Food was average...not what I was expecting from Smith and Wollensky. One gem was the pea soup - it was incredible. Steak was below average.
- Real American SteakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Great quality of food. Big choice of steaks. Classical NYC atmosphere. Waiters not interested to explain the menu!!!! One of them in particular, disappointed for our requests of explanation on the menu, left us and another waiter served us. Unaccettable behaviour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceDineVIPDined on 8/2/2014Terrible service . Waiters were not attentive and slow service .Special Features:
- Best steak in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014Every year we go to a different NY steak restaurant for my wife's birthday. This year was Smith & Wollensky. Although we've both lived in NY for more than 20 years, neither of us had been. We have been missing out! The food, the service, and the whole experience was great. I even told them when making the reservation that it was her birthday, and they surprised us with a complimentary piece of fantastic cheesecake with a candle in it (plus they sang happy birthday!) I would absolutely recommend it for a birthday, any other special occasion, or just a great dinner for work or friends.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014This was my second time, I came back again because the first time was so perfect, the second time was even better! I have never had a better meal in my life. The ambiance is incredible. Was there for my wedding anniversary, I reside in Massachusetts and want to travel back to New York just to go to this location. I have been to the Smith & Wollensky in Boston and it is not to the standards for food or ambiance as the original in New York. The service from the door man, the hostess, the bartender, and the wait staff are all exceptional. I only wish I lived closer so I could frequent more. I absolutely recommend Smith & Wollensky in New York only!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steaksstepinoutDined on 7/28/2014we used open table to make our arrangements for smith and wollensky and was greatly delighted at how easy the process was, yay!! we had a lovely experience at smith and woolensky steak house. it was a great find.Special Features:
- ExpensivembgdineDined on 7/27/2014I think you go to S&W for the experience, prices are extremely high, especially on wine. Opions exist in NYC for just as good of a steak at a more reasonable price point. Service is fantastic however and the waiters are as attentive as they come.Special Features: