Smith & Wollensky - New York
797 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Smith & Wollensky - New York
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.smithandwollenskynyc.com/
- Phone: 2127531530
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:45am-3:00pm
Monday - Friday 3:00pm-11:00pm
Saturday & Sunday 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Victor Chavez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Wine
A word from Smith & Wollensky - New York
One of America's most successful restaurants, this New York steakhouse opened in 1977 and has been a hit ever since. It is one of the most trafficked restaurants in New York City and among the most celebrated steakhouses in the world. Specializing in fresh seafood and lobster and assorted steaks and chops, Smith & Wollensky is well recognized for its healthy portions, seasoned service staff and pop Americana ambience. The painted wood exterior is dark forest green trim on sparkling white, with latticework trim. The elegant interior has turn-of-the-century appeal and design elements including shining brass, dark wood accents and polished wood floors. Adjacent to Smith & Wollensky's is Wollensky's Grill. The Grill (entrance on 49th St) is open from 11:30AM till 2:00AM but does not accept reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Smith & Wollensky - New York reviews from OpenTable diners
316 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (155)notable wine list (121)fit for foodies (97)good for groups (81)romantic (46)great for lunch (45)neighborhood gem (42)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (29)great for outdoor dining (18)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Smith & Wollensky didn't disappointAzabumarkDined on 9/20/2014Clearly a busy place. Reception a little stressed and indifferent but once seated the service was excellent. The steak was just the best. The waiter was friendly and had clear mastery of the menu and wine list. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best steak houseSMOKIEDined on 9/19/2014I've been a customer for 40years....great food My go-to NY steak house always! SmokieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Food and service were solid. Noise level was intolerable. Prices were too high for the level of food.Special Features:
- Wine WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Great spot for Wine Week! The food was pretty good minus my steak being overcooked. The service was great and so was the Mac & Cheese! I would definitely return.Special Features:
- GREAT PLACEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Excellent, friendly personable service, great food. Shellfish appetizer for the table was tremendous as was porterhouse for two.Special Features:
- Everything´s great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014A great experience about food and service, just a little noisy but nothing to be shameSpecial Features:
- Food good, important touches poorLooking4thebestDined on 9/13/2014We dined upstairs. The room was very cold and decor was tatty. However the quality of the food certainly made up for that. Unfortunately, the basics of customer service were missing. Waiters chatting and joking to one another whilst on duty, making excessive noise whilst relaying/organising tables and generally looking dirty as their white jackets were somewhat grey after the black from the collars had clearly run after being washed. Overall, the experience was ruined by the type of customer service you could expect in a common street diner. Not exactly sure where this expensive restaurant is pitching itself - excellent and high priced food cannot be accompanied by cheap and tatty service.Special Features:
- Great food, service could be betterdiningwellDined on 9/13/2014Great steak, wine, ambiance and details. Our waiter was a bit brash and almost churlish. He waited on us well until dessert. Took 20 minutes to get dessert (one that we shared) and another 34 minutes after that to get the bill. Overall a good experience, but service should be at the level of what the prices are to eat there.Special Features:
- Best steak in NYCMikeysfoodVIPDined on 9/13/2014Smith and Wollensky is one of my favorite restaurants in NY and certainly worth the drive in from LISpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Dinner good. Degree of doneness was perfect. Will do less next time.Special Features:
- good ...but overrateddaveyminajDined on 9/8/2014Prompt seating. Had to be relocated to a table. Booth seating is cramped. Waiter saved the day. Soup was way too salty. Portions was good. Ribeye was charred. Wine selection is extensive . Amarone was in point. A bit costly.Special Features:
- 50th BirthdaySofiDined on 9/6/2014We went to celebrate my husband's and my eldest son birthdays. From the very start all the staff there were friendly and funny. What a delicious meal! And in the end they invited us the desert, sang the happy birthday song and were very festive! Thanks Smith & Wollensky!Special Features:
- Good StuffJessicaVIPDined on 9/5/2014I really liked Smith & Wollensky's! Everything from the service to the food to the ambiance was top notch. We shared a shrimp cocktail, wedge salads and a filet. The waiter must have thought we'd go hungry and brought us a side order of fries on the house! Everything was solid - tasty and prepared well, but I can't say it was the best dinner I've ever had. It's just so hard when it comes to steakhouses - there are so many good choices! We were able to polish off a coconut cake before we left....and it was seriously the best coconut cake I've ever had! It's the service and the ambiance (and coconut cake) that will bring us back to Smith & Wollensky.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best in classneverabadmealDined on 9/5/2014They are here forever, I think even the meat quality gets every year better, and last year I thaught it was already excellent, take some extra dollars and let it roll, you will be never disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarginalWestimatorDined on 9/5/2014Not the best steak place Waiter was half asleep Very noisy
- S&WdgalefDined on 9/5/2014Smith & Wollensky remains a great American steakhouse, with excellent meat and just the right sides.Special Features:
- WowDave4575Dined on 9/3/2014We were recommended this place by family and chose to have our supper here following us getting married at City Hall. From the moment we walked through the door the experience was amazing. The meet and greet at the door, th bar, the cocktails and the fantastic steak were all 5 star. Really amazed by how long the waiting staff had been working for S&W - each star on their uniform represents 5 years and our waiter had 6! As you can imagine, our service was typical old school New York and he didn't miss a beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old place for steaksFriesarDined on 9/2/2014Is this restaurant still worth a visit? I am not sure. There are so many good places in New York where you can have a high quality steak. And even a greater variety of food. Waiters are friendly, but old style, prices are hefty and tables are small. Better try something else next time.Special Features:
- great steaksneulisDined on 9/2/2014we wanted to try the famous dry aged beef and it was just wonderful. Good service, good wine. If you are willing to spend a little more money than usual for dining, it`s a perfect address.Special Features:
- Same old good qualityRogerVIPDined on 8/31/2014The same every time I come. The best steakhouse. What a pea soup!!!Special Features:
- Great steakhouseMF2014VIPDined on 8/31/2014Great steakhouse. I ordered a cajun, bone-in rib eye, Pittsburgh style, and I had no complaints. Ranks right up there with Morton's! The cream spinach side was ok, just a little watery. But desert was also fantastic. Just remember to get a jacket in the summer - they like to blast the A/C.Special Features:
- Wonderful RestaurantAli12Dined on 8/30/2014This is a lovely restaurant. The food is first class and the service is excellent. Friendly whilst being efficient. We had a wonderful eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible ServiceChesareDined on 8/29/2014S&W was absolutely fantastic! The waiters are set for making your night a very special one. They went beyond in our case to produce something out of the menu to please us (roasted garlic). The food is amazing and the wine was perfect. Great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Steak Loversnelson1995Dined on 8/29/2014If you like outstanding steaks US-style this is the right place to be!Special Features:
- All perfect, except the priceStefano74Dined on 8/29/2014Food amazing, service highly professional but if you should make an algebric summ the price is just too expensive. I suggest a little price cutting of about 15% and it will be THE restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant VisitAberfoodieDined on 8/29/2014Excellent food and great service from Nick added to the experience. Will certainly tell friends of the experience back in Scotland and be back when next in New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NY institutionMrsYoungVIPDined on 8/29/2014They were very courteous and attentive. Food was great as expected!Special Features:
- Fletch's TakeWontbebackDined on 8/27/2014Your restaurant was recommended to us by a friend , the meal itself was a disappointment, we have had a lot better in New York on our visit the previous year. The "chap" looking after us at our table was very matter of fact (table 22), no help and whilst we had forgotten the size of portions, we ordered far too much and he was happy to let us, last year at the Strip House restaurant , the advice we received was far better. Whilst I expected the check to be around $200 we were in less than 1 hour and left , I gave the "chap" $250 , he didn't ask if I wanted change , just took the cash and started chatting with another waiter, as we got up to leave he did not even acknowledge us. Will not be back .. Jim Fletcher England
- Avril KavanaghAvkavsDined on 8/26/2014We had a dinner here on our last night in New York... Simply SUPERB!!.. the service, the food and the wine.. we were given a complimentary glass of champagne and a free taster of the New York Cheesecake.. We ordered lobster for starters and the the rib eye and the New York sirloins on the bone for our main .. huge plate fulls, all cooked to perfection, a culinary delight.. The staff were friendly and attentive, the standard of their service was exemplary... what a great way to end our holiday. I would recommend it highly to any one visiting New YorkSpecial Features:
- poorfrenchie12Dined on 8/24/2014Air con was on full blast. It was freezing cold. We booked a table but had to wait 20 mins to be seated. We had to ask for bread, water and pepper. Took so long I had to find pepper myself. There was no room for everything on table so we moved some on window sil. Waiter was not happy but then had nowhere to put things so left them there. They also tried to charge us for an extra glass of wine. Other than terrible service the food was ok. But at $50 / head just for meat , this is the least you would expect. Will never go back
- Great choice for our anniversaryTheGooniesDined on 8/23/2014We were 15 minutes early for our reservations but were seated immediately. It was me and my wife's first experience at a real steak house and Smith & Wollensky was recommended by a couple of friends, we thanked them afterwards. All the staff we encountered were courteous and friendly. Our waiter, Nick, was an old school gentleman and took great care of us during our dinner. We ordered the porterhouse for two with a baked potato and the creamed spinach, which a little salty for our taste but serviceable. The porterhouse was amazing! My wife and I were in steak heaven... We don't have any steak house experience to weigh Smith & Wollensky against, but we had a good time and a great steak. We will be back.Special Features:
- The Captains TableDoczingDined on 8/23/2014I used to be a frequent patron of "smith and wallys" for years and it always was a wonderful treat. Given that during those years I had a decent expense account and this was our place of choice I always had the perfect food and drink. After the whole financial fiasco starting in 2008 my job and expense account went bye bye and money was tight. Treating myself to a gourmet meal was not in the plan because I had twins that needed just about everything. So my "smith and wollensky" days were over. Along with the others. (park ave cafe, cite, post house) all of which I frequented. 2014 I returned to find that from steerage to captains table we all were treated equal. wonderful and professional.Once again S&W rules the restaurant world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks to perfectionRogerVIPDined on 8/22/2014Steaks to perfection all the time and the house steak sauce make the Smith and Wollensky steak my favorite in the city! The staff is first rate and super friendly!Special Features:
- Truth in appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014I was looking for a steak place and this met the bill. In the introductions to the meal, the waiter highlighted the "seafood tower." It was a mix of lobster, crab and shrimp. It was delicious. However, when the bill came the TOWER was $80.00 and therefore the most expensive thing on the menu. I was both surprised and upset that this was not mentioned in the intro. In most restaurants, specials are mentioned with the price to make it clearer. In this case I am not sure whether I would have ordered the TOWER but I believe that wait staff had been instructed to push IT and not mention the price. The Merlot was excellent and reasonably price. I will never eat at one of their restaurants again.
- ExcellentFernandoDined on 8/22/2014Awesome food and Service. I will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too noisy beside great meatrueaswDined on 8/21/2014Besides excellent meat, the noise level was much too high, you needed to scream at the waiter so he understood, permanently they check how far you are to get you off your table, the host showing the table kept wandering thru the room.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014Not one steak was cooked right. Sub par cuts. Overseasoned. Unattentive staff.
- Fabulous!!ADN1VIPDined on 8/19/2014The Food was Fantastic!! The Bone In Ribeye Steaks are the BEST in NYC!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/17/2014pea soup was overly thick, steamed vegetables were almost raw, veal chop was too sweet.
- Disappointed in Smith and WollenskycgflDined on 8/16/2014Party of 6 Saturday night and we had terrible service. For the price we pay for the food we expect a certain quality of service. Our server Karim failed to deliver any type of acceptable service. We have dined many times at S@W and this was by far the worst experience and will probably be our last time visiting.