Smith & Wollensky - New York
797 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Smith & Wollensky - New York
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.smithandwollenskynyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 753-1530
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:45am-3:00pm
Monday - Friday 3:00pm-11:00pm
Saturday & Sunday 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Victor Chavez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Wine
A word from Smith & Wollensky - New York
One of America's most successful restaurants, this New York steakhouse opened in 1977 and has been a hit ever since. It is one of the most trafficked restaurants in New York City and among the most celebrated steakhouses in the world. Specializing in fresh seafood and lobster and assorted steaks and chops, Smith & Wollensky is well recognized for its healthy portions, seasoned service staff and pop Americana ambience. The painted wood exterior is dark forest green trim on sparkling white, with latticework trim. The elegant interior has turn-of-the-century appeal and design elements including shining brass, dark wood accents and polished wood floors. Adjacent to Smith & Wollensky's is Wollensky's Grill. The Grill (entrance on 49th St) is open from 11:30AM till 2:00AM but does not accept reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Smith & Wollensky - New York reviews from OpenTable diners
347 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (174)notable wine list (134)fit for foodies (121)good for groups (110)great for lunch (53)neighborhood gem (51)romantic (48)hot spot (38)vibrant bar scene (33)great for outdoor dining (25)late-night find (24)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Mr PersonalityNorthsideBobVIPDined on 11/22/2014Best waiter I've ever had. Just like the other Carl Malone, he delivers. The meal was very good but Carl was icing on the cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticMehhhVIPDined on 11/22/2014Flavorful, tender and delicious steak, generously portioned with shoe sized baked potatoes and all the good stuff to go with it! YUMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Took my wife for her birthday and happy to say they did not disappoint . The steak flavor and quality was terrific and prepared just as I asked. Service level was second to none. Coconut cake for desert was actually the best I have ever had. Will definitely be back on my next visit to NYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steaks in NY!!Hiram1972Dined on 11/21/2014Reserved a table for 2 on line with no problems. I even changed it twice with no problems. I had the Colorado Rib Steak, my wife ordered the NY Sirloin. Both were sent from heaven!. Best we have had in NY. Service at our table was not good. They never once asked to see how was everything. We had to as for more wine, beer, butter, bread. Even though it was a full house, some times the waiter would be standing around. That to me, is a big NO NO. Overall I recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A CLASSICMontclairSceneDined on 11/18/2014Everyone has to try this steak house at least once. It's iconic- it's a classic and the food is very, very good. The service was outstanding. The atmosphere upstairs is a bit on the noisy side and the tables were crowded together. Save room for a few side dishes like mac n' cheese and try the carrot cake if there's room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived Up to ExpectationsnativenewyorkerDined on 11/15/2014We wanted to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and we both love steak, so S&W was a natural choice. I alerted them to the occasion in my reservation request, and they gave us complimentary champagne when we sat down. The steak was reliably huge, succulent and delicious, and the service was very good: always available, not intrusive. Clearly we were not the only ones choosing S&W for a special occasion, as we heard Happy Birthday sung twice while we were there. All in all, a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceshimmyVIPDined on 11/14/2014I went into the restaurant with my boyfriend on mostly name recognition. I also loved Wuality Meats which is the son of the S & W owner. I was very underwhelmed. Mostly flavor issues. The food was not up to par. Main dishes was lamb chops which were a little dry and didn't have a lot of flavor and a bone in which was better but underwhelming. I had to send the split pea soup back twice because it wasn't hot enough. Dessert again wasn't all that flavorful. $270 later I wasnt thrilled with myself. The cost included 2 appetizers. Soup. 2 mains, a dessert and 1 glass of wine. A pretty penny. The server was great and very attentive.
- excellent old school New York steakhouseSJ1234Dined on 11/14/2014this place is old school and has great steak and fishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchblondeparrotheadDined on 11/12/2014Excellent lunch - our group has very diverse tastes. Some had the salmon and some had the steak. I had the petit filet - was prepared perfectly. I am not a big steak eater but was told I had to try it. It was delicious and just the perfect amount. Our waiter Juan was very helpful gave excellent service. Would recommend for a special occasion as it is pricey but definitely worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic ChophouseOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/11/2014This place is a classic steakhouse. Large portions of really good prime beef as well as other meats tremendous fresh seafood all add up to a great experience with excellent service and great atmosphere for lively conversation. I never get tired of going to this place. It never disappoints. And I will continue to come back. Great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arthritic BartenderBoybuilderVIPDined on 11/11/2014The bartender must have arthritis...and can hold a bottle long enough to pour a decent size drink...one would expect a modest pour at $16.00...but he must be saving up for some cortisone shots...I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a restaurant, great food great serviceBritTrevDined on 11/10/2014I sent an e-mail saying that I last visited smith and wollensky over 30 years ago and would be returning from England with my wife for my 56 birthday on arrival we were seated at a very nice table , the waiter brought over a complimentary glass of champagne and showed me a copy of the e-mail I had sent months previous. the food was out of this world, best steak we have ever had, service could not has been better the waiter took time out to speak to us asking about my first trip and the differences we had found in NYC and to top off a wonderful night the waiters came out with a desert with a candle in it and sang happy birthday, my wife was in tears, thanks for making this the best birthday meal we have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UNBELIEVABLE EXPERIENCEDoraDined on 11/8/2014We had dinner reservations for 7pm on Saturday (11/8/14) and we were met with very courteous employees. Drinks were nice, the appetizers were to die for then the entrees came and OMG WE all died and went to heaven. I had the Filet Mignon Oscar - WOW, My husband had the Colorado steak and he couldn't finish it. Our guests had the Porterhouse for 2 which HE claims is not for 2 but 1 (and finished) and his wife had just a plain Filet Mignon. The 3 of them had dessert that looked and tasted wonderful. The night finished with a round of Port wine. Thank you staff of Smith & Wollensky!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbTpombrioDined on 11/7/2014Everything was fantastic from the moment we walked in the door the service was impeccable followed by incredible wine and steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Craigs ReviewsCraigsReviewsDined on 11/6/2014Smith and Wollensky's has always been a fail safe spot for a group of people to have an outstanding dinner that is delicious, fun, perfectly noisy and always full of interesting people. It has always been and still remains my favorite Midtown East side dinner spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointmentEnchantedDined on 11/6/2014We were extremely dissappointed about the advice given by the waither - he just recommended a special steak without informing about size or assisting with advice on side orders. We ended up ordering way too much at a very high price. Also, there is no sauce to the steak. very dissapointing
- Best waiter in NYC!DickarooVIPDined on 11/5/2014Even though I live in California, I've dined at this restaurant about 200 times. I've always had a great experience. And have had the same waiter for over 20 years. Next time you're there....ask for Danny Collins, he's awesome. Oh, and the steaks and shellfish are always great and the wine list is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeatLoverDined on 11/4/2014a typical NY steak midtown experience, great food and an outstanding serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like meat....purplechickenDined on 11/2/2014Amazing steak house. Great big hunks of meat and shelfish. Not for vegetarians...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingDocSDined on 11/1/2014at this price level one should expect perfection. That is no longer the case here. Steak, while very good, is not as good as other places in NYC. the rest of the experience was disappointing. The table was not level which is particularly annoying while cutting a steak, the seat near a window was very drafty, the side of hashed Browns were not as good as they used to be. I don't mind paying theses prices but I expect better.Special Features:
- Very goodCatherineDined on 11/1/2014steak was great for the price. The waiter passed us off to a junior waiter because he had a bigger table. The appetizers were fantastic! Steak was great. Side dishes great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedHungryDined on 10/31/2014The only reason I chose Smith & Wollensky was because they offered Prime Rib, my husband's favorite. As we were dining out because of his birthday, I really wanted him to enjoy the meal. Well, they ran out of Prime Rib so he had to order something else. They also ran out of the dessert we chose. The meal in total was a big disappointment. Smith & Wollensky is an over-priced, loud, dining venue. I wish I had chosen another place to eat. At least, our server was really good.Special Features:
- Jimmy's the best!kmurphVIPDined on 10/31/2014Jimmy the manager is a real pro! He makes you feel right at home.Special Features:
- food very goodPinkAmyDined on 10/30/2014The steak are very good! tasty,juicy, flavor all very impressive!Special Features:
- Amazing steakHoneyblossomDined on 10/30/2014I celebrated my 40th here and the steak was heaven, they even cut it up for us as we shared. The sides were generous and our waiter was a gentleman. Dessert was delicious although by this time we were full. I would definitely return for a steak dinner here when I return to NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful NY steakhouseLiz6843Dined on 10/28/2014Go for the steak but the veal chop or lamb chops are just as tasty too. This is a real NYC steakhouse but casual so the staff makes you feel welcomed whether you are in business clothes or in jeans. Everything is a la carte so the final tab can be pricey but the quality of the food is well worth it. We shared the delicious hash browns, the creamed spinach and the caesar salad. And still had plenty of leftovers to pack up and bring home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just the nameJoemartDined on 10/28/2014The service and wine list are very good but my wife steak was cold and mine overcook. For the prices they charge everything should be perfect.Special Features:
- NYC Classic - Must Visit!ankiboy888Dined on 10/27/2014While other steak houses crop up nearby, Smith and Wollensky is still a New York City must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great foodLyly1312Dined on 10/27/2014I went with my boyfriend for the first time. We had a decent size check and ordered delicious food and wine with a wonderful and very knowledgeable waiter, patrick. Would go there again and recommend to others. They let us sit right away even though we came an hour early to our reservation. Our waiter bought us dessert and espresso at the end of our meal. You can tell he was an experienced waiter and we were very pleased with the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Perfect!!!eli12VIPDined on 10/27/2014I took my very dear friend here for his 65th Birthday, and it was perfect. It was a wonderful added extra when all of the waiters came to sing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch the wine.gillodDined on 10/26/2014We were recommended the special Smith and Wollensky wine by the barman. At $19 a glass, it definitely was not worth it.
- Outstanding servicetheatergoer25Dined on 10/25/2014We celebrated our anniversary with a terrific meal and fantastic service. Our waiter was attentive, helpful, professional and awesome! The seafood bouquet appetizer was worth the price! So fresh and delicious. The filet mignon was outstanding and the onion rings were the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night Out!crcdkcDined on 10/25/2014The food and service were fantastic. A little pricey, but well worth it.Special Features:
- Best steak in NYCJeffDined on 10/25/2014We saw this restaurant on the travel channel - and in recent months I have had the opportunity to try multiple high-end steakhouses across the country - this one is easily number one'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakMegsssDined on 10/25/2014This was the first steak I've had in NY since coming to live here, and I savored every piece of it. The dishes were delicious. The restaurant was lovely. Take a look at the art work in the hallways. Waiters were friendly. Couldn't have asked for better service overall!Special Features:
- Andreas08Dined on 10/24/2014Great service, great food, giant portions! Maybe not the must fancy steakhouse i have been to but one of the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bit priceyfamilyeaterDined on 10/24/2014I've not been to this restaurant for a few years and thought I would take the kids. Waiters are really friendly and chatty and the restaurant is a nice place to be. The food was good, but not outstanding and as such I think $50 for a steak of this standard is a bit pricey and overall I felt a bit cheated.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic SteakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014A true New York steakhouse. A must for foodies. Have been to many steak restaurants in and out of town. This is on par with anything out there. An old "Classic" oozing with character.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steakhouse restaurantNunoDined on 10/21/2014If you are hungry and of you like meat, this place si one of the best. Steaks are so delicious and well prepared. Big space with 2 floors, perfect place for lunch or dinner with family or friends. But very noisy.Special Features:
- top notchjunojeffDined on 10/20/2014Very pleased. Lived up to high expectations of food and service. Cajun rib-eye steak lived up to its billing. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.