Smith & Wollensky - New York
797 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Smith & Wollensky - New York
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.smithandwollenskynyc.com/
- Phone: 2127531530
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:45am-3:00pm
Monday - Friday 3:00pm-11:00pm
Saturday & Sunday 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Victor Chavez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Wine
A word from Smith & Wollensky - New York
One of America's most successful restaurants, this New York steakhouse opened in 1977 and has been a hit ever since. It is one of the most trafficked restaurants in New York City and among the most celebrated steakhouses in the world. Specializing in fresh seafood and lobster and assorted steaks and chops, Smith & Wollensky is well recognized for its healthy portions, seasoned service staff and pop Americana ambience. The painted wood exterior is dark forest green trim on sparkling white, with latticework trim. The elegant interior has turn-of-the-century appeal and design elements including shining brass, dark wood accents and polished wood floors. Adjacent to Smith & Wollensky's is Wollensky's Grill. The Grill (entrance on 49th St) is open from 11:30AM till 2:00AM but does not accept reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Smith & Wollensky - New York reviews from OpenTable diners
328 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (169)notable wine list (125)fit for foodies (109)good for groups (96)great for lunch (46)romantic (46)neighborhood gem (45)hot spot (35)vibrant bar scene (32)late-night find (19)great for outdoor dining (17)kid-friendly (15)great for brunch (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- A superb dinner!Amb123Dined on 10/19/2014When you come to S&W, you pretty much know what you're in for... However, showing up on a Sunday at 10:45 pm for literally the last seating, I was astonished at how friendly the waitstaff was! You could tell they had just gotten slammed unexpectedly around 10:15 (even my date and I were shocked how many people were there that late) and despite this, we were still able to thoroughly enjoy ourselves. Cudos to the staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak Steak SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014Best Steakhouse in the planet !!! You couldn't for a better place when it comes to food and service...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for datingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I choose this restaurant for dating, satisfied. Good service, good music, delicious beef. A little bit expensive, but everything is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Smith & Wollensky - New York on 3rd ave. is consistently a pleasurable experience. Great service, excellent food. Do check out the wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014We live a few blocks from W. Buffett, asked for a table near his, and got one! Bronco and his assistant were so kind, and the food was excellent! We will be back next time we are in NYC. Thanks Bronco and staff.Special Features:
- Steak Lovers Must!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2014Fantastic Steaks backed by a great wine list. The review needs to be 50 characters but really this place doesnt need extra superlatives, its food speask for itself. Go for the Cajun Rub, you wont be sorry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining that can get betterCrazybigsteakDined on 10/13/2014Food was okay, relatively expensive for the quality, yet portions were great. Ambience is good, over all experience wasn't bad.Special Features:
- amazingbabyfaceDined on 10/13/2014Best steak ever hands down worth every penny. Premium meat at its prime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NY SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Great selection of steaks. I had a very good, large fillet - not cheap, but good value. Wine menu was good - but a bit pricey. Service was efficient and helpful - no complaints at all. I wish I had left room for dessert - they looked great. The restaurant was busy which gave it a friendly buzz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good wine but badly cooked steakZenNewYorkDined on 10/13/2014The cold seafood platter was absolutely delicious and super-fresh. The steak was disappointing. It was charred so black I tasted the bitterness of the charcoal more than the dry cooked meat. Other people at my table either got the steak too raw for their medium rare cook or too dry for a medium like mine. Not worth the money for the expensive level of grill you pay for.Special Features:
- Awesome bone-in steaksSizzlingsteaksDined on 10/12/2014We had the bone-in filet & new york strip. Both were fantastic. For an appetizer we had the barratta/tomato salad - I can not even tell you how fantastic this was!! It is a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best Birthday dinner in my lifeluv2eatsteakDined on 10/11/2014we come over from Germany and my mother invited to my 21st birthday dinner: it was outstanding, such a delicious steak, never had this beforeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dream in a bite!LMBCHPS4LIFEDined on 10/11/2014I'm not a meat enthusiast, but I closed my eyes when I tasted my first piece of well done lamb chops. It was like heaven to any taster's palate, melting in my mouth, even knowing that it's well done. The wine was excellent.The atmosphere was great, just great people getting together to have fun times and good memories. The staff were very attentive to your every need and treated you like family. It was a very warm, inviting environment. Definitely a place my family and I will go to for years to come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LrjinewyorkDined on 10/10/2014The Meat was good but too expensive. We were seated in an area where the floor was tremplin. I guess the kitchen with irs ventilation was right belowSpecial Features:
- FOOD IS WORTH ITWineAndDineDined on 10/7/2014Despite having to pry the information out of the seemingly annoyed waiters and supporting service staff, the food here is excellent. The staff doesn't seem too keen on offering information, but with some tenacity, you can force some valuable information about your meal out of them. Exhausting as it may be, the food is worth it. They also make a super strong Mai Tai. Love it try the NY Strip (bone-in), seafood special appetizer (large portion) and the pea soup. The Mac & Cheese is packed with truffle oil - avoid if, like my fiancé, you don't favor the taste of truffle oil. Overall, worth the $ and a neighborhood staple. Bon appetite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnrivaledAltom22Dined on 10/6/2014For my is S&W the best restaurant in NYC - i love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!!ADN1VIPDined on 10/6/2014Best Bone In Ribeye Steak in NYC! Period!!! No other place can match them!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodRogerbrDined on 10/5/2014Very good restaurant,friendly team,good food,its a great night for my and my familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb steakhouse!GoncaDined on 10/3/2014I really liked everything from the service to the food to the ambiance. The New York Tb one steak and filet mignon were cooked perfectly & full of flavorSpecial Features:
- Great seafood and steaksartistinresidenceBrooklynDined on 10/3/2014Strong points: amazing seafood plateau and steaks; disappointing lamb chops, and I do not recommend the crab cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst steaks ever had in USClausDined on 10/3/2014Went there with my wife and son for the steaks. Was now for the second time that the steak quality was not satisfying - steaks did not have the right temperatur/ cooking and all were partially burned/ black on the ouside - service was very friendly but they confused the orders: they served me the medium-plus steak that was ordered by my son We should have sent the steaks back, unfortunately we didn't For starter we had shrimp coctail which was goodSpecial Features:
- Meat Perfect, Fish terribleBSCLDined on 10/3/2014I took the Colorado rib which was perfect but the red snapper was very well done and dry. For larger menues the tables (2 persons) are perfect, bigger than normal and all side dishes fitting on. Even in the restaurant the lights are dimmed to call it romantic some candle lights were missing. ThxSpecial Features:
- Beware new ownerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/3/2014Legendary steak place now owned by some new chain group and simply not on par with sparks (e46) or BLT(57th, BLT is a chain but the one of. 57 amazing$ ) mhhSpecial Features:
- Where we celebratePicadorDined on 10/2/2014This has become our go-to spot to celebrate very special occasions. Most recent a new job. Food is fabulous, service outstanding and nothing says congratulations like a porterhouse or rib-eye done right.Special Features:
- DisappointingEandCompanyDined on 10/1/2014The wine was great. Calamari was great! Then came the surprise. 3 out of 5 steaks were over cooked. Not what you would expect from a steakhouse.Special Features:
- ok, but not greatinvestor57Dined on 10/1/2014My dinner partners had the turf and surf and they said theirs was good, my sirloin steak was okay, but not what i was expecting from a good New York steakhouse.Special Features:
- Great meatWineAndDineDined on 10/1/2014That's about it. The service is at times questionable. Et, the food keeps me coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!!!LD2014Dined on 9/27/2014The food was totally amazing! We loved everything we tried and the portion sizes were very generous. The service was good and efficient - but maybe just a little old fashioned and stuffy for our taste. The resturant is large with the tables well spaced apart, the overall atmosphere is fairly formalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was amazingwelovetoeatDined on 9/27/2014The food here was of course great! But the best part of our dinner was definitely the staff. Our waiter, Kevin, was amazing! The details he gave us on the menu and helped us pick out our entrees, always checking on us! We will be back just for him!!Special Features:
- Outstandingtina4947Dined on 9/27/2014Our entire experience exceptional! Food, wine, knowledgeable staff. Everything perfect.Special Features:
- Great SteaksStoneCrabHeavenDined on 9/27/2014They have a wonderful selection of Steaks that are the best tasting that I have found anywhere across the country....Special Features:
- Disappointed-won't be backChevyCamaroDined on 9/26/2014We'd been to Smith & Wollensky on Third Ave. before and loved it. However this time was a different story. We were seated upstairs on both visits but...the room we were in this time was so noisy we couldn't talk (and we never have issues with noise in restaurants.) To make matters worse, there was a table of guys near us that just added to the noise...and were VERY inappropriate. Still, we were ready to have a great meal, but...no. It took a log time for the wine to show up, and the waiter seemed uninterested in either answering questions or in waiting on us. We ordered prime cuts of meat and...wow. A tremendous letdown from the last time...tough and not flavorful. There are other great NYC steak places to visit-we will go there.
- Great dining eperienceSusBDined on 9/23/2014Visited Smith & Wollensky on at trip to NYC with my parents and boyfriend. We had booked a table on my parents 49th wedding anniversary, and it was all that we had hoped for in terms of ambiance, wonderfull food - including an amazing steak- and perfect service. Would love to come back one day and will warmly recommend it.Special Features:
- overall very gooderock00008Dined on 9/22/2014good food, great wine and knowledgeable, friendly staffSpecial Features:
- Very accommodatingchrisfouldsDined on 9/21/2014We visited for a special meal whilst visiting in NY, I have not visited in 13 years but had fond memories of their cheesecake and amazing steaks and was not disappointed. All the food was excellent, and they were very accommodating with my pregnant wife even cooking a fillet mignon well-done. Deserts are well worth saving room for and the cheesecake was every bit as good as I remembered it, the profiteroles are of epic size and delicious.Special Features:
- Smith & Wollensky didn't disappointAzabumarkDined on 9/20/2014Clearly a busy place. Reception a little stressed and indifferent but once seated the service was excellent. The steak was just the best. The waiter was friendly and had clear mastery of the menu and wine list. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Old Favorite Still ShinesrockdoveDined on 9/20/2014It's been a while since I dined here, I remembered it as being good but not up to the standards of The Palm and other notables in the steak house class. Either I have changed, or it has...I would now put it on top of the Manhattan list First I ordered oysters, which I'm not sure were on the menu before, and my husband scoffed at me that 'we don't come here for Raw Bar'. My oysters came, he reached over to taste one, and immediately waved the waiter over for more. These Blue Points were the best I've ever eaten. The veal and filet mignon equally great As a side dish, they had a concoction of layered baked potatoes, with cheddar cheese, sour cream...sort of approaching an au gratin but better. Too full for the dessert cart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableKYGirlDined on 9/20/2014Well, it is a chain...but not a chain like McDonald's or O'Charley's, a chain more like Ruth's Chris or The Palm. Always solid, always good. A menu you expect from one Smith & Wollensky to the next but always good! They know how to make a great steak and a stiff drink and, by the way, the Split Pea Soup was pretty amazing too.Special Features:
- best steak houseSMOKIEDined on 9/19/2014I've been a customer for 40years....great food My go-to NY steak house always! SmokieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and overpricedFrisbee27Dined on 9/18/2014Food and service were solid. Noise level was intolerable. Prices were too high for the level of food.Special Features: