506 South Grand Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90071Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.millenniumhotels.com/millenniumbiltmorelosangeles/dining/restaurants/smeraldis-restaurant.html
- Phone: 2136121562x
- Hours of Operation:
Smeraldi's: Breakfast: daily 6:30am - 10:30am; Lunch: daily 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: daily 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
Festive Holiday Brunch, Dec. 25th, 11am to 3pm: Sumptuous brunch buffet featuring seasonally inspired traditional and contemporary favorites, tantalizing desserts, sparkling wine and more!
Traditional Afternoon Tea in Rendezvous Court: Saturday - Sunday 2:00pm-5:00pm (Except Mother's Day Sunday)
Smeraldi's: Dinner daily: 6:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Joseph Mills
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Smeraldi's is available for private party booking. Please contact Restaurant Manager.
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant Manager 2136121562x
- Special Events: Champagne Brunch will be offered on Easter Sunday and Mother's Day. A special Mother's Day Afternoon Tea will be offered on Mother's Day from 2pm - 5pm. Please check our website for details and to download the available menus.
- Cross Street: 5th Street
- Public Transit: Metro Red Line stop located 1 block away at Pershing Square. Downtown Dash B stops across 5th street from the restaurant.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Patrons may valet at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel for a discounted fee. There is also self-parking across the street at Pershing Square for a fee.
A word from Smeraldi's Restaurant
Enjoy casual dining in a bright, relaxing ambiance, featuring Continental dishes. Open daily, Smeraldi's highlights include exquisite breakfast buffets, healthy lifestyle options and a chef-attended omelet station in the morning, and sumptuous lunch options like seafood, pasta and dessert stations. At dinnertime, Smeraldi's offers exquisite cuts of organic beef, homemade pastas, fresh salads, seafood and traditional sauces with a variety of authentic accompaniments.Continued
And don't forget to visit us for our famous traditional Afternoon Tea in Rendezvous Court, Sat & Sun, 2-5pm!
And don't forget to visit us for our famous traditional Afternoon Tea in Rendezvous Court, Sat & Sun, 2-5pm!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Smeraldi's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)good for groups (1)great for lunch (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Brunch at SmeraldiLEGDiningVIPDined on 6/15/2014We loved the hotel, and it was a very pleasant brunch experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 109 reviews are from the Smeraldi's Restaurant reviews archive.
- I love this Restaurant.caroleVIPDined on 5/8/2014I just love this place. The tomatoe soup is the best and I love the Chinese Chicken salad. My friends love their burgers and also ther cesar salad. Service is always nice. I don't do the buffets but they are great. I dont want to eat that much but they are excellent and are a great price. Eveyrone forgets about this place with all of the new trendy places, but it is worth remembering.Special Features:
- ExcellentCarmenbooDined on 5/2/2014Had a grea private gathering, our party was able to communicate and be heard and the food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Easter BrunchHosscart47Dined on 4/20/2014We had a fantastic Easter Brunch here. The food was great and the presentation was even better.Special Features:
- DisappointedValleyfoodieDined on 2/14/2014The Biltmore is such an icon, and somewhat romantic, that I booked Smeraldi's for Valentine's dinner. We were seated in the upstairs area, which is more like a diner than the downstairs which has a slightly romantic atmosphere. Was a surprise that it was a set menu. Dinner came with free Champagne which they eventually poured, but was cheap Champagne. The carrot soup was so sweet it should have been served for desert. The steak and lobster were merely pedestrian with some kind of bottled brown sauce on the side. Dessert was just cheap bakery fare. The whole event with parking ran $175 and for that price we could have had a much much better meal almost anywhere else. In a better atmosphere as well. We will never go back.
- Mouth Watering BuffetIvanDined on 1/29/2014We went for the seafood buffet – it was very tasty- the fish was very moist not dry as you might expect from a buffet. The servers very polite and they stood close by to keep an eye on you if you needed anything. Very clean! Great picture painted on the wall, relaxing atmosphere. Very reasonable price too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melt in your mouth Filet MignonFSU2014Dined on 1/4/2014We came for the BCS Championship game Jan 2014. Stayed at the Millenium Biltmore. We were getting in from Florida about 4 pm and wanted to get checked in and get some rest. Did not feel like going anywhere so ate in the hotel restaurant. The filet mignon was cooked to perfection(medium rare) and was excellent. The service was great. Not very busy because I guess the reputation some hotel restaurants have as being overpriced and not very good. We found this not to be the case especially with the filet mignon( two times) and we also had some other items that were very good. We found the prices to be very comparable to nice restaurants here in the Pensacola Florida area. The historic detail preserved in this hotel is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch reviewPasa2psVIPDined on 12/14/2013From the pictures and location I've expected a much nicer place. Basically a coffee shop.Special Features:
- A Pearl in Los AngelesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/3/2013We really enjoyed our evening at Smeraldi's restaurant in downtown Los Angeles. We had a window-side table so we could people watch. The staff were very friendly, attentive and helped make our birthday celebration for two very delightful. The food selection included a nice variety, modestly priced, fresh, delicious served hot with a nice presentation. Despite the drive from San Pedro up into downtown, I felt it was worth every effort. We toured the beautiful Milennium Biltmore common spaces, hall of history and such. Afterwards we strolled over to Pershing Square where they had ice skating set up for the season. I would have missed it all - if not for Smeraldi's. Thank You.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceJewelDined on 8/5/2013Our waiter "Tee" was fabulous. He was very positive and attentive. The food was excellent. It was a buffet with an amazing array of healthy choices, but it didn't taste like typical buffet food. The salmon was exquisite, the salad bar was fresh; the fruit was delicious; the pasta bar included a variety of ingredients to choose from like portobello mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, roasted garlic, scallops, and more as well as a choice of penne, spaghetti, spinach linguine and more and prepared to order. Great service, great food, and a lovely ambience. It was my birthday lunch and it couldn't have been better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UNDER APPRECIATED BRUNCHjrbrucejrDined on 5/26/2013we were invited to the LA Opera, and decided to begin with brunch. smeraldi's / the biltmore are one block over from my office and a reasonable walk from the Opera. we had an 11:30 reservation, they open at 11:00 and enjoyed a relaxed, meal, so were there 1 1/2 hours or more. they never came close to 1/4 full, perhaps due to that, the service was very attentive, yet not intrusive. the bread tray was super fresh and yummy. we had 2 entrees among the 3 diners. the fritata was very good, however the lobster benidict was AWESOME, and well worth the upcharge. bread, entree and desert are included in the fixed price. $5 cocktails, particularly the bloody mary were also good and a good value. very noisy even when mostly empty.Special Features:
- Smeraldi's / La Bistecca is great!TechDaddyDined on 5/4/2013I'll admit it: for years I mourned the loss of Bernard's and refused to consider anything that replaced it. However, I wanted to celebrate the 40th anniversary of a life-changing event my wife had participated in at the Biltmore in 1973, so last Saturday night we had dinner at Smeraldi's, which was featuring their "La Bistecca" menu. Basically the same menu but with steak added. The chef is Sicilian, and the place definitely has an Italian flair. Since we had just come back from a couple weeks all over Italy, we said to ourselves, "hah! We'll see how authentic this place is." Verdict: VERY AUTHENTIC. Everything was fresh, great tasting, and Diego was the perfect waiter. We couldn't believe how empty the place was on a Saturday night. Go!!Special Features:
- My opinionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013I think the place did not look as nice as I expected but the food was alright . I probably won't go there again because it was kind of expensive for overall reasons. Instead I guess restaurants like Olive Garden are much better.Special Features:
- Menu needs improvement. LackedTapelianDined on 2/3/2013Menu needs improvement. Lacked choices. Also I ordered Chinese salad. It was supposed to have Chinese cabbage. They substituted romaine. Disappointed. They should have disclosed that before placing my order. The waiter was attentive. Excellent service otherwise. Verne brûlée good. Food needs better presentation and the lower room feels like you are in a basement. We were hoping to be upstairs with windows.
- Overpriced but nice ambianceThomasDined on 12/31/2012Smeraldi's is located in the Biltmore Hotel in downtown LA. The restaurant is quiet and clean. We were there for New Year's Eve, and found a set menu at a price of $99/person. The food was ok, however for the price it was not what you would expect. For $99/person I would expect exceptional food and a selection of higher end choices. The choices that were offered were braised short ribs, sea bass or chicken. The first course was weak, the entres were cheap and the desert was basically pudding. Seriously? That is what you get for $99/person? At any other restaurant that bill would have been $70 total... Very disappointing...Special Features:
- Great Food....a tad priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012Great Food....a tad pricey but I think that's kind of expected. Pretty much the going rate for an All you can eat Brunch. Bottomless Mimosas, Seafood, Steaks, Pasta and not to mention Champagne.Special Features:
- We went for a late breakfastLauraLVIPDined on 12/23/2012We went for a late breakfast before going up the hill to MOCA. I had the blueberry pancakes...they were FANTASTIC...no really...blueberry pancakes can be either mundane or ordinary, and these were really fantastic! Perfectly full of blueberries and really yummy. My husband had the oatmeal with all three fruit choices on the side - and he loved his too. I gave him one of the three pancakes - they were big enough. Also, the surroundings and ambience were wonderful, and the service was great too. We really enjoyed this start to our day. (Also, the espresso was perfect).
- I enjoyed the brunch the otherOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2012I enjoyed the brunch the other day during lunch, first time I've been there and I'd def go back.Special Features:
- Restaurant was empty. MaybeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/30/2012Restaurant was empty. Maybe because it is so far off the lobby or there was a large event in the ballroom but for the ninety minutes we sat there, only three other parties came in on a Saturday night. Of course it didn't help that the hostess was spending all of her time in the back area, laughing it up with the waiters who tended to disappear as well. Two separate couples walked in, waited for someone and then left. Picked the place to try something new near the theatre - probably won't give it a second chance.
- Great place for lunch eitherOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/27/2012Great place for lunch either on your own or with a group. Tasty menu selections.Special Features:
- seafood buffet for lunch wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2012seafood buffet for lunch was very good. loved the fresh pasta barSpecial Features:
- Food preparation really needsdwprodsDined on 6/1/2012Food preparation really needs an upgrade. They served processed cheese (like Kraft parmesan) over a pasta that already had shaved parmigiana. Edible - but barely. It's a quiet place and service was OK, but the food really needs some work. It's far from a gourmet eatery.
- Our family dinner was well-preparedLasVegasLennyVIPDined on 5/11/2012Our family dinner was well-prepared, well-served and the staff was effective and unobtrusive. We couldn't have picked a better spot in downtown for a party.Special Features:
- Great before theater or Disney HallOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/14/2012Well situated for dinner prior to a walking trip to the theater or Disney Hall.
- Five Star Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/8/2012I booked a table for my boyfriend and me for Easter brunch here and it was fantastic! Located downtown in the Millennium Biltmore Hotel, the ambiance matched the spectacular food we enjoyed. Along with the usual trappings of a brunch buffet- omelets made to order, fresh biscuits and gravy, scones and breakfast meats- Smereldi's Easter brunch also offered a carving station with prime rib, tenderloin, and ham, a fresh seafood buffet, several fresh salads, a chocolate fountain, and an impressive array of desserts, including jars filled with all manner of Easter candy for adults and children alike. Along with an endless glass of champagne (or mimosa), and impeccable service, Smereldi's was a wonderful Easter treat! We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- it was a great spot for anbeachdocDined on 4/8/2012it was a great spot for an easter brunch. all of the food was wonderful and the presentation beautifulSpecial Features:
- I am a regular for lunch atLocalDined on 4/8/2012I am a regular for lunch at Smeraldi's but never attended their Easter Brunch until my last visit. Impressive array of foods. Excellent service and presentation. Not inexpensive but certainly worth the expense. Of course, the hotel ambiance compares to very few and reminds us of the spectacular art deco era.Special Features:
- Had to ask for napkins, noOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/17/2012Had to ask for napkins, no steak knife with a steak, lighting way too bright, the ambiance of a McDonald's, closes at 9:30 on a SATURDAY, food only ok. The hotel is awesome, but Smeraldi's/La Bistecca was a huge disappointment.
- Not impressed with the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/3/2012Not impressed with the food or the service - not a lot of people in the resturant that evening and it was still very hard to get the attention of the waiters.
- I did not feel that I receivedRJArzolaVIPDined on 2/27/2012I did not feel that I received value for my money. I felt that for the price, the dishes were a bit scimpy. My fish was not very big and putting it on a bed of fennel etc. was quite tasteless.
- The hotel is beautiful andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012The hotel is beautiful and I could spend hours walking around and looking at all of the details. Smeraldi's also very nice, but not the same ambiance as the hotel. It has its own charm. The Valentines day meal was 3 courses, unlimited champagne and a rose at the end of dinner (a surprise) for $65/ea (pretty reasonable for a fixed menu with that much truffle). The piano player on the baby grand in the lobby provided the music that wafted its way into the Smeraldi's. I don't know if this is good or bad, but everyone else I know had to wait even with reservations on valentines day at other restaurants, but Smeraldi's was fairly quiet. Good for us, maybe not so good for them. All in all it was very enjoyable. I would go back.
- I have been a regular at Smeraldi'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/6/2012I have been a regular at Smeraldi's for years. The food, staff, and ambiance is great.Special Features:
- Very limited menu for dinner.LeslitaDined on 11/15/2011Very limited menu for dinner. 2/3 of the restaurant is closed. It's reasonable but limited. Best for lunch with their pasta bar and salad buffet.Special Features:
- The lunch time seafood buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/11/2011The lunch time seafood buffet is killer. Just absolutely awesome. Various seafood dishes, salads and pastas. Included in the buffet is a pasta bar with very good choice ingredients. Service is impeccable. My only minor criticism is that the dessert items were limited. I guess it didn't matter because I stuffed myself so much from the seafood buffet that there wasn't much room left for dessert. I just about rolled out of this place. This is a great place for a romantic meal, yet also great for a group lunch. Love it and will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Great place. I am a regularOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2011Great place. I am a regular here and do not plan on going anywhere!Special Features:
- I love this place. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2011I love this place. The food and service is outstanding.Special Features:
- I have been going to Smeraldi'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2011I have been going to Smeraldi's for years. It provides an amazing balance of good food and great value. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Overall it was wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/22/2011Overall it was wonderful! However, the lasagna wasn't that good.
- Hard surfaces will alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/21/2011Hard surfaces will always yield to a noisy environment, but the food was so delicious, and the service so attentive, that I would return anytime I was downtown.Special Features:
- Wonderful for Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/8/2011I took my mother to Smeraldi's for Mother's Day Brunch and was very impressed. The food was excellent and always fresh, the wait staff was very friendly and attentive without being intrusive and the atmosphere was lovely. I am not sure what the restaurant is like on an average day, but if Mother's Day was any indication I am most definitely going to go back.