686 Linden Ave
Carpinteria, CA 93013Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://slysonline.com/
- Phone: 8056846666
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast/Brunch: Saturday 9:00am - 3:00pm; Sunday 8:30 am - 3:00pm Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday- Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, French
- Executive Chef: James Sly
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Small groups are welcome at Sly’s, in our Monaco Room. Planning a wedding rehearsal dinner, a special birthday, or a corporate event? Sly’s friendly, professional staff & exquisite food can make all the difference. Start your dinner with a hand-shaken cocktail from one of the Central Coast’s best bars - follow with wines selected from our extensive list of local California, and French wines at a wide range of prices (Compare and contrast, discuss among yourselves!). Follow with a dinner from Sly’s. A personalized menu can help create the best dining experience, & insure we have the fresh local specials on hand that your guests might want. From the crusty bread & rolls to finely crafted desserts, your food is made at Sly’s. Your guests will find the setting comfortable for a meeting or a celebration. Best of all? The food, the wines, the cocktails are all, well, Sly's. It doesn't get much better. Please contact us directly so that we can help you create your special event.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 8056846666
A word from Sly's
Sly’s offers a wide selection of fishes, seafood, aged hand-cut USDA prime steaks and local vegetables. Live lobster, oysters and shellfish share the limelight with Dover sole, sand dabs and abalone. Sly’s is more than just a little of Chef James Sly’s 40 years of experience in kitchens around the world. Sly’s offers many, daily, fresh and local specials –in a historic building in one of the Central Coast’s finest restaurants. From the crusty bread and rolls, to finely crafted desserts, your food is made at Sly’s. With extensive wines by the glass, Sly’s offers an extraordinary wine list of local, California, and French wines, including a reserve list of rare and notable wines. The bar focuses on classic cocktails, fresh juices, quality liquor, homemade tonic and talented bartenders. The comfortable dining room features shiny varnished Douglas Fir, exposed yellow brick, glassed-in wine room, white tablecloths and a fine collection by world-class photographer Jesse Alexander.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Sly's reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (29)neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (24)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (16)great for lunch (15)romantic (11)vibrant bar scene (11)good for groups (9)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- An Evening at Sly'sRlslyjDined on 9/14/2014Dinner was absolutely wonderful! I had a Filet Minon with Red Wine & Shallots Sauce, accompanied by a great House Salad and the best Scalloped Potatoes that I've ever had!! Service was outstanding. I arrived before the dining room opened, so I opted to sit in the Lounge to kill time, but ultimately had my dinner there. It was fantastic...the next best thing to eating outdoors. An entire wall is opened to the outside, so while eating, I had breathtaking views of the mountains and the brilliant sunshine. Thank you, Sly's, for making my Sunday evening dinner so enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local Steakhouse....BUT!!maliburonVIPDined on 9/12/2014Very pricey on their Steaks ....Chick Pharm was good with very good marinara sauce...won't go back because they are ridiculous with their pricing on Scotch which is my drink of choice. Macallan 12 for $18..."come on man" get real!!
- disappointeddougsgirlDined on 9/12/2014Watery chowder, Shrimp was not fresh it was mushy because they use frozen, boulliabase was tasteless, fettuccini was watery with no taste, we were very dissatisfied.
- Unhappy about seatingnyeDININGDined on 9/7/2014We have been celebrating birthdays there for years. All but one time we have been stuck in the back by the restrooms. Unfortunately my elder sister and her husband don't know that they don't have to take that table. Next year, I'm stating that I will not take that seat. Also, when you sit there, you are forgotten.Special Features:
- Once AgainShelly93101Dined on 9/2/2014Nice to be a regular at Sly's. The food is outstanding, the waitstaff is genuine in their concern that portions and service are on target, and the ambience is the appropriate backdrop to a fine, leisurely meal. The daily specials are outstanding, and the kitchen knows how to respect the necessary nuances to prepare and serve fish.Special Features:
- Service is Always LackingyournicklettersandnumbersVIPDined on 9/1/2014I've been to Sly's many times, service is always an issue. I avoided it for a few years but recently returned. The food is still good; it is priced that way with plenty of $50 steaks. That's fine, if it were served with service to match. For our recent dinner there we had to ask for water three times; our tableware was missing knives at two setups; the steamed clams ordered to share was served with only one clam fork; the pre-ordered dessert was forgotten. Eventually the waiter delivered our water; I had to "borrow" knives myself from the next table; I had to ask the greeter at the front door for clam forks; and we reminded the waiter about the forgotten dessert. Sly's has never understood service, though they always charge for it.
- Never failsSuzyQDined on 8/28/2014Sly's has just simply delicious food! Classics which never fail to be scrumptious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD STUFFJackieThinksDined on 8/26/20144th time to go here for dinner in the month we are visiting the area so obviously we love it. Fabulous Sand Dabs and if you love Liver and Onions this is the place.Special Features:
- Gotta love it!CoupleofdinersDined on 8/21/2014James Sly has a lifelong love affair with food and it shows at his eponymous restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A-MA-ZING! Must try when in Carp!!!ShelbyDined on 8/15/2014This is truly one of the best places to eat in Carpinteria. Yes, it is expensive. I'll say that right now. But as a once a year vacation favorite, it is simply divine. Large portion sizes, the best damn steak you'll ever eat, great drink selection, friendly and accommodating staff, the list goes on. You could go to this restaurant with small children and be just as welcome as the couple in black tie attire sitting next to you; it is a beach town after all. Side dishes ARE ordered separately from the main dish that you choose, but they are made large enough to serve the whole table. We had PLENTY of leftovers for the next night. At least try this amazing little hidden gem before you knock it, and take into account the rave reviews.Special Features:
- Every morsel excellent this visitSophiejeanDined on 8/14/2014I'm a regular at Sly's. Dinner, lunch, brunch on weekends. Thursday nite, our waiter performed his job well, if not discreetly. A bit too friendly, chatty and not too discreet about a gift card I slipped to him before the mean. . Makes a good vodka martini. The mussels provencal to die for. The sea bass the freshest and most tasty I've ever experienced. The coconut cake could float on its own... marvelous. The fog dessert-- ice cream, house-made caramel and chocolate, plus candied pecans amazing. A perfect meal.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/11/2014We invited our good friends to join us for our anniversary at Sly's on Aug. 11th. We requested Izzy as our waiter. As ALWAYS the service was impeccable!!. The food was also excellent. Thanks for bringing Sly's to Carpinteria. Greg & Linda LawSpecial Features:
- Great Food, Fun spotItalophileDined on 8/10/2014A nice old-school feel with a yummy lunch and Sunday Brunch. The Crab Louie was AMAZING! So was the abalone - environmentally farm raised in Washington. Great service! Our waitress was full of good info and good suggestions.... Went for a birthday with a group and had a slice of AWESOME chocolate cake to top it all off!Special Features:
- Love this Place!LollyDined on 8/8/2014Always, always make it a point to make the short trip to Sly's in Carpinteria while vacationing in Santa Barbara/Montecito area. The owners were in the business at another popular eatery in Montecito and learned the trade well - Sly's has been on top of their game for the six years they have been open. The service is top notch, they make couples and families alike feel well cared for and greeted as if regulars. Their menu is varied and solid, something for everyone - from pasta to grilled meats to my favorite, all types of seafood. Loved the grilled artichoke appetizer, sand dabs and Halelukani coconut cake just this past Friday...but everyone at our table had winning choices.Special Features:
- Consistently Delicious!rlfreeDined on 8/4/2014Sly's is consistently delicious and they have a great menu!!! We love going to Sly's with family and friends and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Good food, pleasant timelj4400Dined on 7/26/2014Wonderful steak dinner with red wine/shallots sauce that made the filet more flavorful. We had a fine dinner with a moderately priced Syrah wine; waiter was very helpful, personable, & professional. Can be a bit pricey but was quite good and good restaurants (especially steak specialists) all tend to be a bit pricey. I imagine that if my wife had been able to attend we could have split a steak dinner with one or two side dishes for a nice sized meal.Special Features:
- a bit pricey22fgDined on 7/13/2014Slys must think it is in New York with 13.00 for a glass of wine, 54.00 for a steak...There are less expensive steaks but not by much. I ordered the half lobster tail for 30.00 There were about three bites on the plate, nothing else. The green bean side was delicious, the scalloped potatoes with Gruyere was oily and overcooked. The waiter was somewhat curt, then very flirtaious with my daughter..he rarely looked at me..(He was older than I) I would not especially recommend this place. It is very self-promoting but does not live up to the hype. Our bill with tip was just shyof 200.00Special Features:
- SLY'SOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2014Good drinks. Fredy's salad, Bone in Filet MR. 6oz Filet MW and done perfectly still juicy and flavorful. Our waiter bullet proof! Goin backSpecial Features:
- GigiDined on 7/5/2014Noise level was much toooo high for a romantic dinner for two. Would have stayed for dessert, we both had headaches. True Too bad some people/patrons don't have any class what so ever. We probably will not go back. This was our second time. First time we were very impressed. People like that should be asked to eat in the bar or outside. The business, owner, waiters and waitress are above excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointment!StirstickDined on 7/4/2014We have been coming to Sly's now for a few years. We get a craving for the porterhouse steak. BEST I've eaten anywhere. Hard to beat. We like it charred rare, something you can't get everywhere. If you try it, ask for It "Peter Luger" style. Everyone for back east knows that steak house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic cocktails...PeteMVIPDined on 7/2/2014will keep me coming back. Everything is from scratch and the drinks were equally as good as the food. Steaks are overpriced but other menu items are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!gourmande13Dined on 6/27/2014Took my aunt and cousin here for dinner and we all had a remarkable meal. The service was also outstanding. Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old school feel, well prepared foodSlysthemanDined on 6/26/2014Start with the fantastic cocktails that you might have found on some cool trans continental train in the 1939s. Simple, precise, served by a knowledgable staff. Look over a menu that includes chops, pastas, seafood and a nightly special--ours was a creamy beef straganoff. Quiz your waiter or bartender on drinks, sides, or anything else that strikes your fancy and know that they have THE answer. Not A answer, the answer. Order what appeals to you but make sure to get a side--because they are good and because this restaurant doesn't make the all too common mistake if serving gigantic portions. While you wait for your food enjoy the pleasant atmosphere. And plan on coming back for brunch and the eggs benedikt aboline. An amazing placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't a fan , I am nowGFP1313Dined on 6/13/2014I am a French fry guy,I could care less about onion rings, until now ,these onion rings are the absolute best I have ever had so much so that I will have to drive from L.A when I want onion rings. Our entire dinner was GREAT,the only negative I could think of which would be a positive for others would be the drinks were a bit strong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sly'selaineVIPDined on 6/4/2014Some friends were up from Orange County for a visit so we took them to Sly's for dinner. We have recently moved to Carp and it has become our 'go to' place. Had a great meal and our friends loved it, too.Special Features:
- GrammieDined on 6/1/2014We enjoy bringing special family/friends to Sly's. However, this past Sunday, June 2, left much to be desired. Service was so poor we couldn't even get a refill on a cup of coffee let alone a basket of bread! We are sure (and hope) this was just an "off" day. We have always had extremely attentive wait staff and hope to return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic cocktails & Steak...perfectdedeDined on 5/31/2014Enjoyed the refined but unstuffy atmosphere at Slys. All the meal item preparations were outstanding, and fun to have a classic cocktail too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local experienceanonymous33Dined on 5/25/2014Both a vibrant bar with food, and white table dining. Consistently great.Special Features:
- Old-School Comfort Food.BennyZeeDined on 5/24/2014We love Sly's. Do not come here expecting lean and precious California cuisine. This place serves up flawless classic steak house comfort food—old-school classics like creamed spinach, marbled steaks, and great fresh fish and chilled seafood "towers" (superb oysters) served with house-made mayonnaise. The waitstaff is almost tender in their level of attentiveness and kindness to the parade of devoted regulars who come through this place. Hugs are exchanged (really) at the end of meals. It is a small-town special night out. Tables are spaced well for intimate conversations. Go for a satisfying dinner on a night when calorie-counting is not part of the plan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WORLD CLASS!!TrapperWillieDined on 5/24/2014Between the impeccable service, the beautiful menu, and the overall divine setting, this is an absolute gem. They have earned the spot at the top of my list! Not only is the food simply beautiful, it also is the fastest kitchen in the west! The owners are so welcoming and charming and if your lucky, the chef will check in table side. This place has captured everything the dining experience should consist of. We'll done Sly's!! Thank you!!Special Features:
- The following 309 reviews are from the Sly's reviews archive.
- Monday's Blue Plate SpecialDougSDined on 5/19/2014Sly's has a great reputation in Carpinteria and the Santa Barbara area. It's a cool looking bar & restaurant. However, after wanting to try their Monday night "Blue Plate Special" for a few years, we moved our usual Sat. night dinner date to Monday, to try their well promoted meat loaf. My wife and I both agreed it was over cooked and had to much dark brown glaze to meet our expectation or satisfaction. We even asked the waiter if our servings were over cooked, his response was no, that's the way it comes, however we doubt that? We eat it, however, we would certainly recommend caution to others when considering ordering this dish.Special Features:
- Slick Sly'sGreatCarpEatsDined on 5/13/2014Always lovely, great drinks, great food! Wonderful ambience and wait staff. Always clean and great photographs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimesupercakeDined on 5/11/2014We will be back! We enjoyed our brunch very much, loved the race car photos, excellent service, and delicious food and cocktails. Can't wait to have dinner sometime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have brunch with your mimosaDonpDined on 5/11/2014Eggs benedict were very good. Waitress really pushed buying a bottle of champagne for the mimosas since we ordered two. This was an extreme over sell. My 87 year mom-in-law and wife felt pressured to drink more than they wanted becasue there was a whole bottle sitting between them. I had to help them and we still left a lot behind. Afterwards I watched the sales pitch, I found it to be very misleading. I would consider going back, but I would not trust the wait staff for their opinions. I like to engage the staff, so this is an issue with for me.Special Features:
- favorite place in the areaSophiejeanDined on 5/6/2014Once you've dined at Sly's you're spoiled for any other place. The food is moderately pricey, but I've never enjoyed such flavorful, memorable food. Reliable each time. I've found my favorite dishes, like the short rib blue plate special on Saturday nights. The filet mignon is so tender in their special chili dish, the chopped salad so delicious. Good martini's shaken at the table. Pastas, desserts to die for.Special Features:
- Back roomNancyGDined on 5/5/2014A group of us went to sly's for my husbands birthday. Sitting in the back room was perfect. It was private but not too removed from the high energy of the restaurant. The food was fresh, interesting but most of all delicious. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local gemDianeVIPDined on 4/26/2014Excellent steaks, sauces, vegetables. A favorite of my family as there is something perfect for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time therejackDined on 4/25/2014I have heard a lot about sly's over the years. it was everything I had been told. first and most important the service from Issy was the best I have had in years. he was friendly , fun and most important on top of it... by far the best service I have had in years. now the food was also very good. the price is on the upper end , but fair. all in all it gets a 5 out of 5, but the service was a 10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeterVIPDined on 4/23/2014One of the best restaurants in the Santa Barbara area and with the best abalone around. Great Louie salada and daily specials and a drink list featuring many of the older drinks that most bars no longer make. The classics. Good wine list and a reasonable corkage at $15. Highly recommended and reservations a must. Definitely a locals place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected MoreICemanVIPDined on 4/19/2014Had heard many things on Sly's so thought we'd give it a try. After all the hype, we expected more. It was nice to see the owners about and mingling with the patrons. The service was very good and very attentive. Where we expected more was the food. Portions were sufficient, but it was like being at any other steak place. It really didn't stand out. I expected more from a family run restaurant. Also, wished that the waitress had let us know that the sauce would be on top and not on the side. Had I known that, I would have asked for it on the side. It kind of ruined the steak flavor since the sauce totally overpowered the steak not to mention the prices which were a bit overpowering as well for what you got.