Slightly North of Broad
192 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
Low CountryPrice: $31 to $50
Slightly North of Broad
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.slightlynorthofbroad.net/
- Phone: 8437233424x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly, Monday-Friday from 5:30pm, Saturday & Sunday from 5:00pm
Lunch: Monday- Friday 11:30am – 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Frank Lee
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant could be rented for a private function.
- Private Party Contact: Peter Pierce 8437233424x
- Cross Street: Faber Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are two parking garages located within ½ block of the restaurant. One is located at the corner of Concord and Cumberland and the second is located on Cumberland between East Bay and State. Street parking is also available.
A word from Slightly North of Broad
Slightly North of Broad is a Lowcountry bistro that brings together an abundance of local ingredients and thoughtful, expert presentation with a friendly, contagious energy. Here the dining room is a natural extension of the kitchen, a place where culinary skill, a clever, considered wine program, warm service, and conversations meld together. Our local farmers, fishermen and producers are as integral to the food we make as they are to our place in this community.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLow Country
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Slightly North of Broad - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Slightly North of Broad reviews from OpenTable diners
492 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (328)special occasion (287)romantic (172)neighborhood gem (169)great for lunch (145)notable wine list (125)hot spot (119)good for groups (87)great for brunch (35)kid-friendly (28)vibrant bar scene (27)late-night find (18)scenic view (8)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- great dining experiencepattyDined on 9/20/2014Celebrated our anniversary,couldn't have been any nicer . food,service,was wonderful. Server even gave us complimentary wine for our anniversary. Best berry dessert ever.never miss this one while in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston Gemsbh138Dined on 9/19/2014SNOB is my go to restaurant for girl friend lunches, to entertain out of towners, and for special occasions. It never disappoints, the food is always good, the cocktails superb, the staff treats you like royalty and it's a truly beautiful Charleston setting...what's not to love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014We were given a lovely table where we could sit beside each other and see all that was going on in the resturant. They knew we were on our honeymoon and surprised us with champaign. Our dinner was fabulous, the service was terrific. WE LOVED IT😊😊😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014S.n.o.b became the favorite restaurant of the whole family, the food is great and we will bring here the rest of the family when they will come down to the south to visit, great place to eat.I recommend carpaccio, my husband had the duck and it was very tender and juicy,my son had the tenderloin also very tender,all of the dessert are also delicious.I live here so I can come anytime I want but I keep this place for special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014We scheduled a reservation for our honeymoon dinner. We were greeted at the door and presented a very nice table by the window. Our server Sara was very energetic. She explained everything on the menu very well and gave us plenty of time to consider items but was also attentive to refilling our drinks. Speaking of drinks, we were offered complimentary champagne to celebrate! A very nice gesture indeed. The food is outstanding. We started with roasted quail with a blackberry sauce that was unreal. The quail was perfectly cooked with a nice brown crust, the grits were cheesy and not too dense, and the sauce could be poured on anything and taste good. We also had shrimp and grits, and steak, both of which were equally good. Very nice!Special Features:
- Our Favorite in CharlestonSCGalDined on 9/18/2014Best shrimp and grits ever--and many other delicious choices. Try the homade potato chips! Great fried chicken livers, Reuben sandwiches, and many other delights, which make it impossible to decide. Gracious service, charming ambience, one-of-a-kind restaurant. It will become your favorite, too!Special Features:
- Porkchop HeavenCHSFlyerVIPDined on 9/18/2014The express lunch is always Tough to beat at SNOB! Last Friday the porkchop was phenomenal! For $11 world class food !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food4pawzDined on 9/17/2014Definitely one of the best restaurants in Charleston. The food was delicious and our service person was fun, friendly, and efficient.Special Features:
- Excellent lunchannVADined on 9/17/2014We found ourselves passing through Charleston with enough time for a leisurely lunch. We booked SNOB on short notice and are so glad we chose it! Excellent lobster and shrimp salad: my husband had a fabulous piece of swordfish - perfectly grilled and tender. Seating was a little crowded (some of the 2-tops are very close to bar and bathrooms; ask not to be seated there) and very 'vibrant' noise level, but we could still chat easily. Service was excellent, professional and knowledgeable. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Excellent Dining ExperienceeattothrillDined on 9/15/2014My wife and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary here and were very pleased with the service, food and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st dinner out as husband and wifeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014We selected Slightly North of Broad from previous reviews and because it was our first night in Charleston after our wedding the day before. We were very delighted by the wine called the Arsonist, a Chardonnay, and ordered a bottle. An even bigger surprise to me as my new husband only drinks beer and joined me in several glasses. We will definitely visit again when we return to Charleston. A very romantic and enjoyable atmosphere, it felt as though you were in someone's dining room. From the salads to the desserts, the food was fresh and inventive, the chicken roulade was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly Disappointed3fareladiesDined on 9/13/2014After much anticipation, I have to say my visit to SNOB was nothing short of mediocre. The food appeal doesn't match the ambiance. Slow, slow kitchen times with lackluster service was in order as well. Disappointed that after over an hour wait for the main entree there wasn't even as much acknowledgement from mgmt. Food was good, but not worth the price tag.Special Features:
- My Last Restaurant Week MealEllenDined on 9/13/2014It's happened before. You order all three courses up front and then you get the bum's rush. Our waiter brought our wine, took our order and returned less than five minutes later with our first course. I could sense him watching us throughout the meal so that the minute we finished one course, it was cleared and five minutes later, the next course appeared. We realized soon after we were seated that we were going to be finished our meal within an hour. The food was good, but the feeling that the restaurant was trying to turn our table over again as soon as possible definitely spoiled the meal.
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014This was our first trip to S.N.O.B. and we thoroughly enjoyed the food and the ambiance. Our server was fantastic and we loved the atmosphere; some people were dressed up and some were in jeans and flip flops. We would definitely eat at S.N.O.B. again and would highly recommend it to our friends from out of town. We chose this restaurant because it was Restaurant Week in Charleston and it was a great opportunity to try a new place :) The She Crab soup was awesome!Special Features:
- Great spotGJacobsDined on 9/12/2014Carpaccio and apple pie were both amazing. Must haves!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was outstandingthere4workDined on 9/11/2014The salads were the highlight--the pear salad was excellent with a glazed pear, spring mix lettuce, pistachios, blue cheese and a great dressing. The chilled shrimp and lobster salad included the best heirloom tomato slices that I have had all season. My colleague ordered it as a starter but it was so good, that I went back the next day and had it for lunch. Lively atmosphere. Good service. My colleague and I are in Charleston for work every couple of weeks and try a new restaurant each time--this is our favorite so far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing again!JMinOrangeburgDined on 9/11/2014Second time here - first time for dinner. Visited during restaurant week. Loved the offerings on the 3 course menu. Cocktails were amazing and the service was top notch. I'll be coming back again and again.Special Features:
- Did not live up to expectationslindacrisDined on 9/10/2014I have eaten here several times. The first time was restaurant week last year and it was incredible. This meal was bland. The lemon grits were lumpy and the flavor was too strong. The snapper was perfectly cooked but was not seasoned well. Others in the group said their meals were fair but not wonderful. My appetizer salad was mediocre and other appetizers were poor to okay also. Crevice was good. I would not recommend them at this point as I had many excellent meals this week but this was not one of them.
- Good experience but expected bettermlaforgeDined on 9/10/2014A friend and I chose to have dinner at S.N.O.B. during Restaurant Week 2014 based on reputation, selection, and price point. The overall experience was good but I was expecting great. I walked away a little disappointed. However, I will probably return to give it a second chance with the understanding that it could have been an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014Slow service and average food. Expected more during "food week". Plenty of other restaurants to try before going back there.
- Restaurant week menu disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/9/2014We were so disappointed with the food on the restaurant week menu - chicken marsala was a thin piece of chicken deep fat fried put in a tastless sauce. The fish was dry and overcooked. Dessert was advertised as carrott cake - instead I was served an upside down muffin with no frosting. Stick with the regular menu! My husband ordered off the restaurant week menu for dessert and had a delicious apple dessert with ice cream -
- Great restaurant !RegannDined on 9/9/2014Food was delicious! Loved the decor and overall ambiance !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I was expectingChanningwayDined on 9/8/2014Our reservations were for 8:15 and we were not seated until 8:35; no place to sit at the bar to wait; there are a lot better places to go to in Charleston; I made the mistake of listening to someone that thought it was more important to go to a tourist place than a place where the locals eat; I'll know better next time. Wait staff was very, very good.
- Simply the bestBennyVIPDined on 9/8/2014SNOB has been around a long time. I first went there in the mid-90s. The quality is as good or better today. It was a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First vist, not last visitRicardo123Dined on 9/8/2014S.N.O.B. was recommended by a friend. Good advice! Pleasant ambiance, excellent food, price well with good service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/8/2014Everything was great . Alison was our server and was wonderful, securing the last blackened catfish for one of the group. We love the restaurant and will be back often..Special Features:
- Winnerfarrahmascara13Dined on 9/7/2014The food was the best dinner we had and the service was outstanding. Great from top to bottom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loveATLdiningVIPDined on 9/7/2014YEAR OVER YEAR, simply the best in Charleston! Food, ambience and service - A plus - Not to be missed for locals or visitors! LOVE, love love SNOB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food, Great ServiceAliceVIPDined on 9/7/2014Definitely one of Charleston's best restaurants. Great location, no wait with reservations. There restaurant menu was excellent and reasonably priced for the volume and quality of food.Special Features:
- SNOBFun2enjoyDined on 9/6/2014With a reservation made, we were welcomed to dine once arriving. Drinks were promptly delivered while trying to decide from a menu that could satisfy any desire. The soup was so delicious, one bowl did not seem enough. The bread and cornbread went well with this choice. The pork schnitzel was excellent, tender and flavorful with the kale flavor in contrast. Topping the meal off with the key lime tart was just what I needed. Satisfied and satiated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFoodiesVIPDined on 9/6/2014Everything about S>N>O>B> was excellent. The service terrific, food fantastic, atmosphere amazing. Overall, a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- snobaliciousRishy33Dined on 9/5/2014One of our favorites never disappoints great food with outstanding service. restaurant week special was fabulous always busy but servers never seemed rushedSpecial Features:
- FoodMaddogVIPDined on 9/5/2014The food was prepared well. The flavor was great, but the meat was terrible.Special Features:
- Nice dinner but service a bit slowCharlestonvisitorsDined on 9/4/2014We were there to celebrate a special occasion and the experience was good but not outstanding. Restaurant is beautiful, but very busy, so service was a bit slow. We liked the fact that the kitchen is visible and well organized, which reflects transparency. Food was good but not outstanding. When we got to the restaurant one of the waiters who saw us coming in did not bother to greet us or welcome us. That was disappointing.Special Features:
- Best food we ate on CharlestonLike2dineDined on 9/4/2014My seared tuna topped with fried oysters ranks up there with the best thing I ever ate! Our service was perfect. We had a relaxing and memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulFrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014Restaurant week can bring out the worst - not at SNOB. The food and service were excellent. Nothing more needs to be said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bummed2Dined on 9/4/2014We had not eaTen at SNOB in years so were anxious to bring our Chicago friends there but we were rather disappointed. No one's meal was especially good. The shrimp and grits had way too much sauce and not enough shrimp. The tuna was tough, although the flavor was good. The tile fish was good.Special Features:
- Good food and ambianceRetiredWilliamsburgDined on 9/4/2014Our group enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Excellent place in Charleston.Special Features:
- Always a PleasureChristyDined on 9/4/2014My husband and I have lunch at S.N.O.B. almost every time we are in Charleston. We have never been disappointed. I love the fresh tuna and the express lunch is always good too. I have had the burrito and the carnitas, both of which were very flavorful. I have tried the grilled chicken also and loved it. We love their soups (they will share their recipes with you). The location is superb and close to everything in the historic area. It is a bit noisy but most restaurants are these days. There is usually a mix of business people and tourists at lunch. Reservations are a good idea. It isn't really a place for kids IMHO.Special Features:
- No better way to enjoy CharlestoncorksnforksDined on 9/3/2014Arrived for an 8 PM reservation 40 minutes early. We had a drink at the very efficient and comfortable bar and were seated 15 minutes early. Fried green tomato app was perfectly prepared with crispy cornmeal crust and thick slices of flavorful tomatoes. Pan-seared swordfish on a bed of wonderfully seasoned veggies and . For dessert we shared a trio of sorbets which provided a perfect finish. The atmosphere was very cozy with old brick walls, tempered chandelier lighting and an energetic open kitchen at the far end of the dining room. Service was very attentive and personable. Not one negative for the evening and the final plus was the very reasonable tab. S.N.O.B. Will be on my itinerary for every future Charleston visit.Special Features: