Slightly North of Broad
192 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
Low CountryPrice: $31 to $50
Slightly North of Broad
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.slightlynorthofbroad.net/
- Phone: 8437233424x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly, Monday-Friday from 5:30pm, Saturday & Sunday from 5:00pm
Lunch: Monday- Friday 11:30am – 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Frank Lee
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant could be rented for a private function.
- Private Party Contact: Peter Pierce 8437233424x
- Cross Street: Faber Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are two parking garages located within ½ block of the restaurant. One is located at the corner of Concord and Cumberland and the second is located on Cumberland between East Bay and State. Street parking is also available.
A word from Slightly North of Broad
Slightly North of Broad is a Lowcountry bistro that brings together an abundance of local ingredients and thoughtful, expert presentation with a friendly, contagious energy. Here the dining room is a natural extension of the kitchen, a place where culinary skill, a clever, considered wine program, warm service, and conversations meld together. Our local farmers, fishermen and producers are as integral to the food we make as they are to our place in this community.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLow Country
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Slightly North of Broad - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Slightly North of Broad reviews from OpenTable diners
472 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (322)special occasion (280)romantic (167)neighborhood gem (165)great for lunch (130)notable wine list (124)hot spot (121)good for groups (88)great for brunch (32)kid-friendly (27)vibrant bar scene (26)late-night find (18)scenic view (7)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Nothing exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Food was good, as expected , but we anticipated 'exceptional.' The restaurant was extremely loud but we were fortunate to be seated in a quiet alcove, the only sofa seating. We had a reservation but we still waited 45 minutes for a table. Our server had a definite snitty attitude, "SNOB' fit him perfectly. This was the only encounter with a pretentious person in SC. Overall, I don't understand the rave reviews.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014It was wonderful and we would definitely recommend to others. We don't live close by but if we went to Charleston again we would eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & ServiceSloreeDined on 9/26/2014We had a lot of great meals in Charleston, but this was our favorite. I had the caramelized pear salad and Pan Seared duck breast. Both were fabulous. My husband had an evening special Watermelon Salad followed by a Steak special. We would definitely go back.
- MaggiemaggieDined on 9/26/2014SNOBS is what Charleston is all about! Great good, beautifully presented, and with impeccable service Our lunch on the day of our daughter's wedding could not have been any better Of course, the historic building was the epitome of southern charm and ambience Thank you for making our time in Charleston and for the wedding so perfect!Special Features:
- Ops Lunchbubba1512Dined on 9/26/2014The salad/appetizer light lunch at one or favorite downtown dining establishments the last couple of times was overall... average. Our seating was at the end of the lunch rush but service was slow. Time to explore some other venues for lunch, sad to say.
- best lunch in towndiningpleasureDined on 9/26/2014SNOB has become one of my favorite restaurants in Charleston. Although there have been many new restaurants that have opened on Upper King, I still find myself returning to my old favorite, SNOB. The service, food, atmosphere are all what I look for in Charleston. I usually go for the salmon, whether it be in the salad or entree. Once again, it was perfectly cooked, along with the vegetables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BusyDrMomDined on 9/26/2014We arrived a bit early for our lunch reservation so we were seated at the chef's table. The food was a bit salty and the service was rather slow.Special Features:
- Great diner spotPirateRNmedicDined on 9/25/2014Flounder, duck, shrimp and grits, sausage and pasta, creme brûlée, and the Apple pie were fantastic. The Barn Raiser cocktail had enough alcohol to burn one down but was not overpowering and very smooth. Loved the citrus flavors. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Sub-Par ServicesouthernfoodieDined on 9/23/2014We made reservations a few days prior to the visit. Considering it was our second trip to Charleston we did our research and stumbled upon Slightly North of Broad. We arrive at 8:00 and our table was still not ready. We wait for 10 minutes and finally get seated. We put in our entree order at 8:15/8:20 and didn't receive our food until 45 minutes later. There were only three entrees and we didn't even receive an apology for the wait or any type of acknowledgement from the manager/server. The food was delicious considering we were hungry after travelling for 4 hours to Charleston. Wouldn't return again, but food was alright.Special Features:
- Best shrimp and grits!merifmDined on 9/23/2014SNOB is always on our hit list when we are in Charleston. All the food is very good, but we feel that the shrimp and grits are the best around.
- SNOBRudyDined on 9/23/2014As always, wonderful food and service. Epitomizes great southern food. Best shrimp and grits I have ever had. Wonderful vegetable plate. The specials always add something special to an already excellent menu. Consistently delicious food. Love this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly Enjoyable Evening!!GlenDined on 9/23/2014Right from the start, our online reservation and confirmation went splendidly. When we arrived, the staff accommodated our request for a table change with apolmb and without fanfare. We were greatfull for the change. Everything went smoothly. Our server, Joe, was friendly and engaging, just to the right degree. Our whole meal was memorable. When one of us did not know quite what a dirty martini was and did not like it (too salty, duhhhhh), our server replaced it with a remarkable Manhattan. From the breads to the shared dessert, all was delicious. Two of us had the pork chop and one had the flounder. All of us agreed they were fantastic! We recommend SNOB very highly. We are returning patrons and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vacation mealdhgolfVIPDined on 9/23/2014Excellent food and service. Very popular restaurant. Although my meal was very good, my wife's meal was not exactly as described.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!CharlottemomDined on 9/22/2014S.N.O.B. is quickly becoming one of my favorite places to eat in Charleston! The food is always delicious and so fresh! The service is wonderful and the location has a ton of charming character decorated very nicely. Can't wait until I'm in Charleston again so I can go to S.N.O.B.!Special Features:
- thumbs up from Portland MainePWMfoodieDined on 9/20/2014SNOB balances food "snob appeal" and higher end ambience with Southern-flavored locavore elements and down to earth approach, both to menu and service. I'm from Portland, Maine, with many good food/bev options. Over a 3-day weekend of eating out in Charleston, this was my personal favorite. It was a repeat visit since my first lunch in 2007, and I hope to return someday soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dining experiencepattyDined on 9/20/2014Celebrated our anniversary,couldn't have been any nicer . food,service,was wonderful. Server even gave us complimentary wine for our anniversary. Best berry dessert ever.never miss this one while in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing wine listletsgoVIPDined on 9/19/2014We had an excellent dinner -- very good food and attentive service--however, the wine offerings were disappointing. The wine list had a very poor selection for bottles under $100 and really, the selection over $100 was not that impressive. I know there are a lot of great wines out there that can be offered at a restaurant for under $100. We don't always want to spend a fortune on wine, and I don't want to feel like I am being charged an unfair price. It would certainly enhance the dining experience if SNOB could expand their selection.Special Features:
- Charleston Gemsbh138Dined on 9/19/2014SNOB is my go to restaurant for girl friend lunches, to entertain out of towners, and for special occasions. It never disappoints, the food is always good, the cocktails superb, the staff treats you like royalty and it's a truly beautiful Charleston setting...what's not to love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner.OnourhoneymoonDined on 9/18/2014We were given a lovely table where we could sit beside each other and see all that was going on in the resturant. They knew we were on our honeymoon and surprised us with champaign. Our dinner was fabulous, the service was terrific. WE LOVED IT😊😊😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TessDined on 9/18/2014S.n.o.b became the favorite restaurant of the whole family, the food is great and we will bring here the rest of the family when they will come down to the south to visit, great place to eat.I recommend carpaccio, my husband had the duck and it was very tender and juicy,my son had the tenderloin also very tender,all of the dessert are also delicious.I live here so I can come anytime I want but I keep this place for special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very yummy!MBandMBDined on 9/18/2014We scheduled a reservation for our honeymoon dinner. We were greeted at the door and presented a very nice table by the window. Our server Sara was very energetic. She explained everything on the menu very well and gave us plenty of time to consider items but was also attentive to refilling our drinks. Speaking of drinks, we were offered complimentary champagne to celebrate! A very nice gesture indeed. The food is outstanding. We started with roasted quail with a blackberry sauce that was unreal. The quail was perfectly cooked with a nice brown crust, the grits were cheesy and not too dense, and the sauce could be poured on anything and taste good. We also had shrimp and grits, and steak, both of which were equally good. Very nice!Special Features:
- Our Favorite in CharlestonSCGalDined on 9/18/2014Best shrimp and grits ever--and many other delicious choices. Try the homade potato chips! Great fried chicken livers, Reuben sandwiches, and many other delights, which make it impossible to decide. Gracious service, charming ambience, one-of-a-kind restaurant. It will become your favorite, too!Special Features:
- Porkchop HeavenCHSFlyerVIPDined on 9/18/2014The express lunch is always Tough to beat at SNOB! Last Friday the porkchop was phenomenal! For $11 world class food !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food4pawzDined on 9/17/2014Definitely one of the best restaurants in Charleston. The food was delicious and our service person was fun, friendly, and efficient.Special Features:
- Excellent lunchannVADined on 9/17/2014We found ourselves passing through Charleston with enough time for a leisurely lunch. We booked SNOB on short notice and are so glad we chose it! Excellent lobster and shrimp salad: my husband had a fabulous piece of swordfish - perfectly grilled and tender. Seating was a little crowded (some of the 2-tops are very close to bar and bathrooms; ask not to be seated there) and very 'vibrant' noise level, but we could still chat easily. Service was excellent, professional and knowledgeable. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Everything was excellent. We could not have been more impressed with the food, the service, and the staff.Special Features:
- An Excellent Dining ExperienceeattothrillDined on 9/15/2014My wife and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary here and were very pleased with the service, food and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st dinner out as husband and wifegardentimeDined on 9/14/2014We selected Slightly North of Broad from previous reviews and because it was our first night in Charleston after our wedding the day before. We were very delighted by the wine called the Arsonist, a Chardonnay, and ordered a bottle. An even bigger surprise to me as my new husband only drinks beer and joined me in several glasses. We will definitely visit again when we return to Charleston. A very romantic and enjoyable atmosphere, it felt as though you were in someone's dining room. From the salads to the desserts, the food was fresh and inventive, the chicken roulade was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly Disappointed3fareladiesDined on 9/13/2014After much anticipation, I have to say my visit to SNOB was nothing short of mediocre. The food appeal doesn't match the ambiance. Slow, slow kitchen times with lackluster service was in order as well. Disappointed that after over an hour wait for the main entree there wasn't even as much acknowledgement from mgmt. Food was good, but not worth the price tag.Special Features:
- My Last Restaurant Week MealEllenDined on 9/13/2014It's happened before. You order all three courses up front and then you get the bum's rush. Our waiter brought our wine, took our order and returned less than five minutes later with our first course. I could sense him watching us throughout the meal so that the minute we finished one course, it was cleared and five minutes later, the next course appeared. We realized soon after we were seated that we were going to be finished our meal within an hour. The food was good, but the feeling that the restaurant was trying to turn our table over again as soon as possible definitely spoiled the meal.
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014This was our first trip to S.N.O.B. and we thoroughly enjoyed the food and the ambiance. Our server was fantastic and we loved the atmosphere; some people were dressed up and some were in jeans and flip flops. We would definitely eat at S.N.O.B. again and would highly recommend it to our friends from out of town. We chose this restaurant because it was Restaurant Week in Charleston and it was a great opportunity to try a new place :) The She Crab soup was awesome!Special Features:
- Great spotGJacobsDined on 9/12/2014Carpaccio and apple pie were both amazing. Must haves!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was outstandingthere4workDined on 9/11/2014The salads were the highlight--the pear salad was excellent with a glazed pear, spring mix lettuce, pistachios, blue cheese and a great dressing. The chilled shrimp and lobster salad included the best heirloom tomato slices that I have had all season. My colleague ordered it as a starter but it was so good, that I went back the next day and had it for lunch. Lively atmosphere. Good service. My colleague and I are in Charleston for work every couple of weeks and try a new restaurant each time--this is our favorite so far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing again!JMinOrangeburgDined on 9/11/2014Second time here - first time for dinner. Visited during restaurant week. Loved the offerings on the 3 course menu. Cocktails were amazing and the service was top notch. I'll be coming back again and again.Special Features:
- Did not live up to expectationslindacrisDined on 9/10/2014I have eaten here several times. The first time was restaurant week last year and it was incredible. This meal was bland. The lemon grits were lumpy and the flavor was too strong. The snapper was perfectly cooked but was not seasoned well. Others in the group said their meals were fair but not wonderful. My appetizer salad was mediocre and other appetizers were poor to okay also. Crevice was good. I would not recommend them at this point as I had many excellent meals this week but this was not one of them.
- Good experience but expected bettermlaforgeDined on 9/10/2014A friend and I chose to have dinner at S.N.O.B. during Restaurant Week 2014 based on reputation, selection, and price point. The overall experience was good but I was expecting great. I walked away a little disappointed. However, I will probably return to give it a second chance with the understanding that it could have been an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014Slow service and average food. Expected more during "food week". Plenty of other restaurants to try before going back there.
- Restaurant week menu disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/9/2014We were so disappointed with the food on the restaurant week menu - chicken marsala was a thin piece of chicken deep fat fried put in a tastless sauce. The fish was dry and overcooked. Dessert was advertised as carrott cake - instead I was served an upside down muffin with no frosting. Stick with the regular menu! My husband ordered off the restaurant week menu for dessert and had a delicious apple dessert with ice cream -
- Great restaurant !RegannDined on 9/9/2014Food was delicious! Loved the decor and overall ambiance !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I was expectingChanningwayDined on 9/8/2014Our reservations were for 8:15 and we were not seated until 8:35; no place to sit at the bar to wait; there are a lot better places to go to in Charleston; I made the mistake of listening to someone that thought it was more important to go to a tourist place than a place where the locals eat; I'll know better next time. Wait staff was very, very good.