Slightly North of Broad
192 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
Low CountryPrice: $31 to $50
Slightly North of Broad
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.slightlynorthofbroad.net/
- Phone: 8437233424x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly, Monday-Friday from 5:30pm, Saturday & Sunday from 5:00pm
Lunch: Monday- Friday 11:30am – 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Frank Lee
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant could be rented for a private function.
- Private Party Contact: Peter Pierce 8437233424x
- Cross Street: Faber Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are two parking garages located within ½ block of the restaurant. One is located at the corner of Concord and Cumberland and the second is located on Cumberland between East Bay and State. Street parking is also available.
A word from Slightly North of Broad
Slightly North of Broad is a Lowcountry bistro that brings together an abundance of local ingredients and thoughtful, expert presentation with a friendly, contagious energy. Here the dining room is a natural extension of the kitchen, a place where culinary skill, a clever, considered wine program, warm service, and conversations meld together. Our local farmers, fishermen and producers are as integral to the food we make as they are to our place in this community.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLow Country
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Slightly North of Broad - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Slightly North of Broad reviews from OpenTable diners
478 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (315)special occasion (285)neighborhood gem (161)romantic (159)great for lunch (141)notable wine list (111)hot spot (109)good for groups (77)great for brunch (43)kid-friendly (38)vibrant bar scene (26)late-night find (17)scenic view (8)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Under-DeliveredOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014SNOB works hard to preserve a polished reputation in the Charleston food scene, but thoughtful diners might be better served choosing one of the city's many other spots, particularly in the evolving Upper King neighborhood. SNOB's interior compared poorly to other Charleston spots, it's along the tourist strip that attracts a lot of you know what's, the food aimed at the less discerning American palate - too much sauce, too sweet, etc., and the service very rushed. But if you want a predictable dining experience ("the grouper's on the menu every year" according to our waitress), don't mind being pushed along so they can turn the table, or need a t-shirt to document your visit, then SNOB may be just the place for you.
- Low country classicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014This is one of my favorite southern cuisine spots. The service is outstanding along with the food and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our funnest fine dining experienceKristinDined on 8/29/2014Snob was our funnest fine dining evening. The service was wonderful and the food was good. It's a more vibrant atmosphere so it can get a little loud. Worth trying for a Friday or Saturday night dinner especially with friends. A little more casual than your standard expensive establishments but fun night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/29/2014This restaurant has a very high quality of food. Impeccable presentation and service. What a talented chef!Special Features:
- Be A SNOBAllanNanceDined on 8/29/2014People with their noses in the air are called SNOB's but when I have my nose up in the air around Slightly North Of Broad it is to smell the great food that is cooking in the open kitchen. Every time we are in Charleston a trip to eat at SNOB in in the plans.Special Features:
- Fantastic Lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We had the gazpacho and house salad to start. Then on to the Salmon and Tuna main dishes. Superb flavor, great service, ambiance exudes that Charleston appeal! Everything that one would expect from a fine Maverick kitchen.Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundsecatDined on 8/27/2014Service could have been a little more attentive waited a while to get refill on wine otherwise incredible food with some unique combinations squash ang goat cheese soufflé plus had to perfect items ie spoon bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Charleston RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014Food is excellent with a good variety. Fresh food, but not too trendy like some of the other "fresh, organic" restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Best lunch in Charleston by far. Everyone who is anyone in the city is there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston Fav!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014I eat here very time I come to Charleston. First of all - I like the location and the space. Parking nearby. I suggest making a reservation for the chef' stable if you can - nice addition to the offerings. Now to the details - I always have good service here. This visit was no exception. Bethany was knowledgable of the wine list and made helpful suggestions. The menu is "southern" but with a flair. You will find many of the Charleston mainstays such as grits and seafood. These dishes never disappoint. We ordered grouper, oysters and in an odd move for us - quail. The quail was fabulous! Offered with sausage and grits. Great combination. The oysters were fresh and just the right amount of brine.Special Features:
- S.N.O.B. First VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014My wife and I were informed that SNOB was one of those must visit restaurants in Charleston. The recommendation was very much affirmed both for the quality of the food and the high level of service. The food was absolutely fabulous and paired with a wind recommendation was one of the best meals we ever had! Seriously. This is a must for anyone who enjoys excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBdayplaanerDined on 8/22/2014Fresh, inventive, delicious. Great wine list. Super service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SNOB - A great restaurantRuthyDined on 8/22/2014On Friday, August 22 my three friends and I went to SNOB for lunch. We had reservations and my two friends went into the restaurant early while I parked the car. When I arrived at the restaurant they were already seated. Our waitress was pleasant and prompt in taking our order. We were pleasantly surprised upon receiving our selection. Each one was beautifully presented and we all were pleased with our order. We also loved the corn bread. It was better than any I have ever tasted. We were all very impressed with the food and service and will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceGburgfoodieDined on 8/21/2014The quail appetizer was GREAT. We had the pork chop and the halibut entrees and both were excellent. We will be back next time in CharlestoniSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2014Just the right balance of good food, distractions, and class.Special Features:
- DrinksForehowDined on 8/21/2014Before lunch, we both had one of their special S.N.O.B. martinis, made with Maverick gin or vodka. There was way too much vermouth in both. I had pimento stuffed olives in mine, which unfortunately made the drink very salty. Neither of us would order their martinis again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food not good tableJanieDined on 8/19/2014We have eaten at SNOB many times and the food and service is always great! The only complaint I have is that we were seated right in the path of the kitchen, which made it very busy and annoying! Every restaurant reservation that I made through open table we had the worst seating!! I was very disappointed with that and the other couple remarked also about this, after I had thought it to myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch!bubbaonlineDined on 8/19/2014Everything was delicious, from the salads, appetizers, entrees to dessert. Professional service, as well.Special Features:
- Excellent quality at good valuesockyDined on 8/18/2014Sea scallops, grouper, veggie plate,, shrimp and grits were all superb. Veggie plate stood out as 10 different veggies. Fresh seafood, always good.Special Features:
- S.N.O.B. is THE BESTMlleJaneDined on 8/18/2014I enjoy the "Chef's Table" to be near the action in the kitchen -and- as an added bonus, noticed it seemed quieter in this section. I live locally - luv to explore Charleston's food scene - however, I just keep coming back again and again to SNOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEYOND!!!!thefoodgrubDined on 8/17/2014I made a res for this restaurant 2 months in advance to celebrate my birthday and wedding anniversary. Upon our arrival, there was a line and the place was packed. However, we were greeted warmly with best wishes on our special day and were shown to a perfect, intimate table. Ashley, our waitress, quickly brought us 2 glasses of champagne and also gave us her best wishes. She was lively, informative, proactive and treated us marvelously. Our food was BEYOND scrumptious. The cocktails were great, the carpaccio is yummy, the salads are fresh and tasty, the fish is fresh and the desserts are sinful. We pretty much needed Ashley to roll us out of there, because we left stuffed! We will DEFINITELY return to SNOB on our next visit to SC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We have dined at SNOB for many years, at least 7 times. We have had excellent meals and service. This past weekend was a disappointment. Arriving , we were greeted with a less then enthusiastic hostess. the choices of entrees were not well presented, Hanger Steak, Grouper. The Hanger was tough and the one piece of Broccoli was limp and cold. The Grouper according to my wife was good. This event was our 45 wedding anniversary , which we celebrate in Charleston every year and at SNOB. Next year will be our 46th , but I don't think it will be at SNOB. Sometimes we loss site of the simple things , when we have worked so hard to get there. Don't let that happen to SNOB.
- Doesn't disappointCharlestowneDawgDined on 8/16/2014Have been coming to SNOB now for 3 years and it is solid every single time. One of the most consistent restaurants in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cowmurph2Dined on 8/16/2014Fantastic dining experience! Great food, lovely ambience, terrific customer service. I highly recommend!Special Features:
- A Charleston mustfoodieloveswineDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I love to eat at SNOB every time we are in Charleston. Food quality and service are always excellent. My favorite menu item is the seared scallops and the chef specials are always great. The flavor combinations of every dish that I've ever tried are fantastic. Also be sure to enjoy a signature cocktail from the bar before your meal. The bartender is wonderful. Make reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good againFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014Always good food and service. No exception this time. Gazpacho was filled with nice crisp finely diced veggies. My wife had the vegetable plate (not vegetarian) and we were amazed at the assortment of veggies and quantity too. So good. I had the special (New England scallops) which were cooked perfectly so they tender and flavorful. Enough said. We love SNOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Servicejt123321Dined on 8/15/2014Server was rude, curt, and knew nothing about the menu. She made several "jokes" that were nothing of the sort. Will not go back.
- Great time, great meal!bunnyteapartyDined on 8/15/2014We came to SNOB for my little sister's 29th birthday. She and I are both pregnant, and my husband is a vegetarian. They were more than happy to accommodate us. We were able to get the cheese plate with only pasteurized cheeses, and my husband got a vegan version of the vegetable plate. We had just a lovely time. The food was excellent and so was the service.Special Features:
- Foodie10Dined on 8/15/2014You can always depend on SNOB to present great food.the red wine was excellent,but a little warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday DinnerCaptBiscuitDined on 8/14/2014Kelly is a great waitress, knowledgeable about the food and beverages. Great call on the Westbrook Thai White beer! I had the tile fish and it was cooked to perfection. (Note that I had Red grouper at P. Grill the next night and it was dry (overcooked). Sweetie had the shrimp and grits which was good (sweetie makes better; who ever dreamed of using sausage in shrimp and grits instead of bacon? Bacon rules!) Should have listened to the reviews and stuck with the sour cream apple pie, but tried the peach cobbler which tasted odd, not sweet, but Kelly took it away and we enjoyed the peach sherbet with blueberries. Looking forward to another visit to S.N.O.B.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday celebrationBeckSDined on 8/13/2014I took my boyfriend here for his 30th birthday. We had reservations after 8:00 and when we got there the dining room was packed! Our table wasn't quite ready when we arrived, but we were happy to grab a drink at the bar while we waited. Our table was ready within minutes. Our waiter, Max, was great. He wasn't intrusive at all but was still efficient and checked in from time to time. We ordered the cheese plate and a pasta appetizer that was on special that evening. Both were great! Our entrees were great as well...one tilefish special and one duck breast. We cleaned our plates! To end the evening, my boyfriend was given a complimentary dessert (warm sour cream apple pie). Everything was great and it was the perfect evening!Special Features:
- JackDined on 8/13/2014We dined at SNOB several times during our visits to Charleston. The meal on this recent visit was truly outstanding with the service as good. The smoked salmon, scallops and rack of lamb with accompnning wines were perfect inevery respect.Special Features:
- Pretty nice place!FansyfanDined on 8/10/2014We went for my dad's birthday. It was nice overall, but the cocktail wasn't too good. The girl who served our table was very nice. My son likes salmon, but he doesn't like it to be raw. The girl asked kitchen to grill it for him. We were all happy for that dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LesMoDined on 8/9/2014Loved it! Great food and drinks and just the right amount of ambience.Special Features:
- Return to SchoolMullsVIPDined on 8/7/2014Always order the BBQ tuna with fried oysters and never disappointed. We also ordered the smoked salmon and found that they had changed the preparation. Although we liked the old preparation, the new one was actually better and I would always recommend it. Our daughter always makes certain that we go there for the sour cream apple pie which is our favorite dessert in Charleston. She ordered that and split it with her date and we split the peach cobbler since peaches were in season. Both were excellent!! Only complaint would be that the tables are too close to each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More matureLaurenlovestoeatVIPDined on 8/7/2014We loved the food, the ambiance is a bit mature and romantic which is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!RazzDined on 8/7/2014The food is wonderful from starters to dessert. Open kitchen....love that. Staff is friendly and professional. I never come to Charleston without making this stop. It's a must try for those who have not dined there. They will even share recipes!Special Features:
- Solid and worth it as alwaysnyc2gsofoodieDined on 8/6/2014Have eaten at SNOB probably 15x in the past 8+ (?) years. Just as with our last visit, it is very consistent, very fun, and the food and service is excellent. Maybe not the best of the best in Charleston, but never disappoints with a wonderfully varied menu. And of course, no place does shrimp and grits like theirs. The duck breast and grouper, also long time menu items, we're expertly prepared, and the special snapper was great.Special Features:
- Okay but not greatalliDined on 8/5/2014We thought the food was okay but not anything fantastic. The BBQ tuna was recommended and honestly tasted like it had been doused with ketchup. It was really disappointing. Took forever to get drinks. Staff seemed disinterested. The place has great decor and a fun vibe but didn't live up to the hype. Maybe its location is what keeps it going since it's located in the middle of the tourist area. Most likely will not return.
- The very bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014With so many choices in Charleston I didn't know how to chose. SNOB was recommended to me by someone who knows my palette and enjoyment of great food and marvelous chefs. From beginning to end, our experience at SNOB was more than I could have asked for. I immediately returned to our hotel and sent three couples (who were all complete strangers to me) to this restaurant to dine. Without hesitation, I would return any chance I had (I live in Canada so it will be a while before I can return!). It was definitely the best place for me to celebrate my one year surviving breast cancer AND my birthday! The best of drinks, apps, entrees, desserts, and service. A++++!!!Special Features: