700 Tunnel Mountain Road
Banff, AB T1L1B3Neighborhood:
Wild GamePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.crmr.com/dining-buffalo.php
- Phone: (403) 760-4484
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation: Breakfast: Sunday - Saturday: 7:00am - 11:30am Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 6:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wild Game
- Executive Chef: Linda Calabrese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Sleeping Buffalo offers several private dining options from the stunning Wapiti Longhouse to the intimate Strathcona Room. We can accommodate up to 90 guests in a private dining room. Please contact the Lodge directly for further information.
- Private Party Contact: Tanya Dick 4037604485
A word from Sleeping Buffalo
Breakfast: Sunday - Saturday: 7:00am - 11:30am Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 6:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:00pmContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Sleeping Buffalo - Best Restaurants in Banff ›
Sleeping Buffalo reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (10)special occasion (10)good for groups (6)notable wine list (6)romantic (4)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Dinner soecialAngelaDined on 11/14/2014We booked for the Bon appetite 3 course special on Friday 14th November. The service was warmly friendly and efficient - everyone was lovely. Each course was delicious, I had the pear salad to start and it tasted like Christmas and was really good, salmon and risotto and chocolate grand marnier cheesecake. Each one delightful and my husband enjoyed his soup, elk and Creme brûlée. The food tasted like it was good quality and fresh and was cooked to perfection. The portion size was perfect for us. We were nicely full but not uncomfortable. We thought this was excellent value for money and liked that this restaraunt did not hike its prices up at the weekend like many of the others participating in the Bon Appetite promotion. We would go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- caribou was delishfoodluvrDined on 11/8/2014Rustic timber frame building was lovely at night. The caribou was amazing and the bison was great too. The side dishes weren't spectacular but dessert was yummy. I would recommend you try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hungergames1Dined on 11/1/2014Every time I return to Sleeping Buffalo, the food never disappoints. Beautifully prepared and served by excellent staff. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time was greatalbertaguyVIPDined on 11/1/2014A colleague and I went here for the first time last weekend, and had a most enjoyable time. The duck confit appetizer was very good, although it was big enough to be a main course all in itself. We both very much enjoyed the caribou. We'll be back.Special Features:
- SLEEPING BUFFALO DINNERfinediningcommentDined on 10/27/2014My wife and I had dinner at the Sleeping Buffalo Oct 27, 2014. Recognizing the the timing was between seasons, and hence both the kitchen and service were still gearing up for the high winter season. I found the prices to be on the high side for the dishes ordered. Everyone has their own style of food preparation, but I expected my duck to be thin sliced rather than the two pieces provided. Again some allowance needs to be made, the server (otherwise a delightful and friendly person) needed a little more training, particularly in the presentation of wine ordered. I think the restaurant could benefit if it had some half bottle selections of wine, particularly when only one of two diners wishes to imbibe.Special Features:
- Sleeping Buffalo Restaurant, BanffDLeighDined on 10/25/2014The interior of the Restaurant & Lounge is very warm & inviting. When making the reservation I had asked for a romantic table (when we got there we moved the reservation ahead by 1 hr which they accomodated no problem)...when seated it was an O.K table, looking around the room there wasn't really any I would consider "romantic". The service was prompt and attentive. The Wine menu was limited for Wines by the glass & by the bottle, decent. The Menu was intriguing with something for everybody under the "Mains" and with a better selection of Appetizers would have been well rounded. We ordered the Asparagus soup & the Free Range Chicken, absolutely delicious! I would definitely dine here again but with friends not as a romantic evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014We enjoyed a very pleasant evening. Food was beautiful and flavorful. Our waitress was very attentive and helped to make it an overall most enjoyable experience. Next time we are in Banff, we will visit again.Special Features:
- Classic Banff Food..bad serviceMegRDined on 10/1/2014I've been here twice. Both times the meal was good, wine list extensive and service TERRIBLE. Wait staff need to be trained much better and need to be more attentive and 'classy'. For such a lovely place, the staff and service really effect the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014The restaurant was advised it was our 40 th anniversary but we were assigned a table in the middle of the room beside a large group our request to be moved to a table by the window was not accepted. A table by the window remained unseated the entire time. The service was good as was the meal and wine selection.Special Features:
- The Buffalo Ruleshal52VIPDined on 8/18/2014The Sleeping Buffalo was an old mountain cabin style of decor with great views of mountains and gardens. The food was exceptional and the service was very nice. The pace was relaxed and the evening was delightful.Special Features:
- avoidOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Food was bland, service was slow, waited 1 hr 10 minutes for meal. we used to enjoy and would visit on special occasions but will avoid this stop in the future. Expect ownership has changed? More a family style restaurant.Special Features:
- Awesome FoodMikeRSDined on 8/15/2014The dinner options were good, although we were looking forward to the caribou and were told that it was unavailable that evening when we ordered. (We later thought we overheard the table next to us order it later that night and were able to get it, but didn't confirm if they actually did). We ordered the Charcuterie Board to start, which was excellent, and they even had a gluten free bread option for the celiac at the table. We both ordered the CRMR Game Ranch Duo for dinner, which the bison was amazingly tender. Portion size was good, although if your a big eater, I recommend you have something to start, but ensure you save room for dessert. We had the Black Forest Verrine and the Espresso Crème Brûlée, which were both top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Wild Game!SvetlanaDined on 8/14/2014Great restaurant and we were able to get reservations in this over crowded little tourist town during peak season! We love wild game and they had an exceptional selection. The food was cooked very well and they provided excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 118 reviews are from the Sleeping Buffalo reviews archive.
- DisappointedTea42Dined on 7/19/2014Thought I was taking my girl somewhere special and nice. Although the dinning room and the menu waa what I hoped for, the food was flavourless and warm. The prices are high and the portions are small. The next night we went to a local regular restaurant and the food was exceptionally better.
- BuffaloOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/19/2014Service and food was adequate, although the seating service seemed somewhat confused and unorganized - not what you'd expect at an upscale lodge.Special Features:
- First time but won't be the lastwbonvilleDined on 7/12/2014We decided to go to this restaurant on our 1st wedding anniversary. The server was awesome, making great recommendations, the food was great and the dessert was very good as well. Our server even had "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate on our dessert plate. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- ExcellentnoamateurDined on 7/10/2014Excellent food, good service, will go back and will recommend to friendsSpecial Features:
- a nice dinner in BanffTracyBethDined on 7/4/2014We enjoyed a nice dinner out at Sleeping Buffalo. Our dinners were very good, our server was attentive. We would go there again, however they could bring up their ambiance by replacing worn carpet and mismatched chairs- this does not end up being "quaint" but instead makes the dining room feel tired and dated.
- Enjoyed it!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2014We loved the authentic architecture of the restaurant. The service was great and the food delicious. We would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014the restaurant was overall awesome and a fun experience. The game and local foods were great.Special Features:
- excellentMitchDined on 6/28/2014wonderful food, very tasty and fresh and not gimmicky, everything was perfect, from starters to dessert. This restaurant came highly recommended and did not dissapoint.Special Features:
- Excellent quality.TandTDined on 6/24/2014We all enjoyed our meals, which were perfectly cooked and well presented. The service was very good and we had a lovely evening. My only complaint was that some of the meals were not well balanced; the vegetable portions were too small (e.g. a large portion of lamb cutlets but only two small carrots!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a FinddinerDined on 6/21/2014A friend had told me about the restaurant and am I glad I booked it! Food was excellent and our server excellent - friendly, informative and attentive. The menu is not extensive that it is hard to choose. Chef Kelly is amazing! Everyone at our table loved their meals and all look forward to returning. I will definitely recommend this restaurant to all of my friends.Special Features:
- Mom's 60th birthdaymeeshmaashDined on 6/21/2014Booked a reservation for my mom & I to celebrate her 60th birthday. I was a little disappointed with the actual chairs as some were made with cushions and we were put at a table with very uncomfortable chairs & were seated at a 2 person table in the middle of the room. The restaurant wasn't full when we arrived or when we left. The food was amazing! We started with the scallops and had the steak & the salmon. It was DELICIOUS!! I had made mention on my reservation that anything they could do over the average would be greatly appreciated. It was mentioned by the server when we arrived that it was her birthday but that was it. I was hopeful a little something more would have been done but we still had a blast and ate amazingly delicious food.Special Features:
- Local dinerLJfoodDined on 5/31/2014This a stunning restaurant who gets a lot of international guests which is good because locals would not pay the ridiculous prices they charge for entrees which are good but not exceptional. That being said one of the best and most generous cheese platters we have had anywhere.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2014Very quiet and intimate restaurant. Our waitress (Jenna) was absolutely wonderful. Decent menu selection. Fantastic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining for one.TTFNTTDined on 5/11/2014I took myself on an overnight staycation to Banff. Looked at many restaurant menues & decided on Sleeping Buffalo. The ambience is perfect for the mountains. The choices on the menue were a nice variety but not so many that it is impossible to make a decision. I had the crab cakes to start & the bison duo as an entrèe. The crab cakes were fine & the risotto was excellent. The bison duo was very good & I would order again. Service was very attentive. There are a couple of other entrèes I want to try. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!KandDDined on 5/10/2014We never had the opportunity to have lunch at the Sleeping Buffalo, however the breakfasts & dinner were absolutely fantastic! We are looking forward to returning....soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingDaveyADined on 3/29/2014We have been staying a block away from the Sleeping Buffalo for years, but this was the first time we tried it. It was amazing. Everything from the lamb to the bison was outstanding. The service was very good, as well.Special Features:
- Great FoodIreneVIPDined on 3/28/2014The duck breast was fantastic. Very enjoyable mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyonepickles77Dined on 3/18/2014A glorious place to just sit, relax and feel truly pampered. The food was exceptional, and the opportunity to look out over Tunnel Mountain while enjoying great wine is second to none.Special Features:
- OutstandingLebhotelierDined on 3/8/2014Everything was excellent, had the caribou and bison duo for mains, the only disappointment is that we were looking forward to have the elk tenderloin carpaccio which is advertised online on the menu as a starter, and on review sites including OT but, it was NOT on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Banff dining experienceCookmeDined on 2/8/2014We took my sister to Buffalo Mountain Lodge for her 40th birthday and dined at the Sleeping Buffalo. BML has been a favourite spot of ours for many years and it did not disappoint. We started with cocktails in front of the roaring fire in the bar and then moved to the restaurant. My mother had the spinach and arugula salad, and my sister had the gem salad to start; I had the crab cakes. Everything was tasty and well-presented. For our main course, we all had the caribou medallions with potatoes, shallots and berry gastrique. It was cooked perfectly and the portions were just right. For dessert we shared a trio of creme brûlées and the staff wrote "Happy Birthday" on the plate to surprise my sister, which was a lovely gesture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and warm...CrowchildBobDined on 2/7/2014Great Ambience, excellent food and excellent service. A tad on the pricey side but I would go back again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!TeacherChefDined on 1/3/2014It was very obvious that great care was taken in the preparation of our food. Our main dishes were perfectly cooked, as were the well thought out and balanced accompaniments. Dessert was maybe even more impressive in terms of flavours and balance. We had the Alberta Beef Rib Eye and and the Caribou Medallions; the Beignets and the Mille-feuille. Service was efficient. We also ate there for lunch the next day which was equally good food. The game burger was not gamey, cooked to order - juicy and delicious. The steak was average but its accompanying truffle fries were great.Special Features:
- A fun new years eve dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/31/2013We were in Banff on a vacation and booked the Sleeping Buffalo for dinner on New Year's Eve. It was a fun evening. They had a DJ playing great tunes and had gone all out in festive, yet tasteful New Year's Eve decorations...including tiaras for the women and fedoras for the men! The food was good, but nothing remarkable and the menu was limited due to the day. The service was fine, we had a late reservation and never felt rushed. It was a bit expensive for the menu that was offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night out!RomanticDined on 12/15/2013This was our first time to dine at Sleeping Buffalo and we enjoyed every aspect of our experience from the ambience to the food and excellent service. Will definitely go back next time we dine in Banff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon ApétiteCharlyDined on 11/20/2013Fantastic experience. Exactly fit what we were looking for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulfoodieDined on 11/9/2013A great dining experience, once again. Brought international visitors and were not disappointed. Incredible service, wonderful, tasty food. Great ambiance for visiting. Definitely will be returning.Special Features:
- Great DinnerXCQuinn1969Dined on 11/8/2013Excellent and romantic evening. Our server Chris was attentive and knowledgeable. A beautiful setting and an enjoyable evening. Menu features regional dishes and wine menu is also diverse and well rounded. One small concern, some families brought their children and allowed them run around and play. We love children but could have done without the screeching and crying. Not the restaurants fault, but it may be an idea to decide if Sleeping Buffalo is a romantic getaway or a family restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.