Slate - Philadelphia
102 South 21st Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Slate - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.slatephiladelphia.com/
- Phone: (215) 568-6886
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 1:00am
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Slate - Philadelphia
Welcome to Slate Restaurant. Our mission is to provide a comfortable & welcoming atmosphere combined with excellent food and an attention to detail.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Slate - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (1)late-night find (1)neighborhood gem (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Modest selection of very good foodNJdinerDined on 6/19/2014We were disappointed that the mussels were not available, but the calamari, crab cake and short rib mac'n'cheese were all very good. Nice selection of draft beers. We appreciated the discount for people attending a local theatre. Good choice; we'll return.
- Disappointing bruncharia13Dined on 6/15/2014We had brunch on Father's Day. We should have known there was a problem because the place was almost empty at 12:30 for Brunch.Our food and drinks were average at best. The waitress/bartender was brand new and alone--so she was more than a little scattered. My husband ordered scrambled eggs and bacon. He got a fried egg and no bacon. He asked for the bacon (twice) to be delivered and well done. When it arrived it wasn't well done but at this point he was just happy to get his food. My friend had a special order on her meal and that did appear to come out as ordered but she said it was ok but not great. We live in the city and this is the first and last time we'll try Slate.
- The following 141 reviews are from the Slate - Philadelphia reviews archive.
- LackingMikeVIPDined on 4/12/2014Empty on a Saturday night when all other nearby restaurants were busy. Service was mediocre. Waitresses also bartended. Food was adequate, but nothing special. Most was bland, watery - lacked flavor and depth. No wonder why it was not crowded.
- food ok; service was awful; stay awjpb6570VIPDined on 4/11/2014We got there at 8, waited over an hour for appetizers; waitress repeatedly messed up the drink orders; several appetizers and entrees were served very late, after the rest of the table. we were standing up with our coats on waiting for the waitress to finally bring the check after numerous requests. oh, we were the only table dining and there were four people at the bar. I have never experienced service that bad and then presented with a check with 18% gratuity added. The service was so bad that I almost refused to pay. I will never go back and will tell everyone I know to avoid this place.
- Excellent FoodHappifeet2Dined on 3/29/2014We found Slate through OpenTable and we were definitely not disappointed! We were a group of 7 and they easily accommodated us. They food was absolutely fantastic! The menu was slightly smaller than some might expect, but it was worth it. Everyone found something to order and no one was less than fanatic about their dishes! The kitchen was happy to make any substitutions or modifications and everything was spectacular. Definitely highly recommend!Special Features:
- Hidden Neighborhood GemUrbaneFoodieDined on 3/1/2014Made an impromptu reservation, and left completely stuffed! Great food, the service was on point and the atmosphere was quaint and relaxing. There were a few interesting specials to choose from. We settled on the Duck and Goat Cheese Spring Roll...they were AMAZING! The Short Rib Mac and Cheese was good and the Lamb Burger was perfectly seasoned. The bartender was definitely liberal with the alcohol. Overall, it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waiting, waiting, still waiting...jellybeanDined on 2/15/2014We had 7pm reservations, and didn't eat until close to 9. Yes, we enjoyed our appetizers, but then waiting forever for our main entrees. We were a party of 4, and no one ordered anything crazy or complicated. Not sure why on earth it took 2 hours. They were apologetic and offered us a shot to compensate for the wait, but considering we already had time for two rounds of cocktails, a shot wasn't needed, our food was. We barely made it in time for the 10pm show we had tickets for. Otherwise food was decent.
- Nice!JaimiKDined on 2/14/2014This place is absolutely precious. If it wasn't the food that won me over, the atmosphere would absolutely win me over. I went here with a friend for valentine's day and we weren't hungry enough to eat an entree, so we just ate two appetizers (short rib mac n' cheese, and crab cake). It was all fantastic! The short rib mac n' cheese was delicious! And their drinks were phenomenal. AND, the service was amazing. I give it about an 8.5 out of 10. The crab cake wasn't mind-blowing, but the rest of it was. Hope everyone goes here for a chill romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We made a last minute reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/7/2014We made a last minute reservation for a Friday evening because of location mostly. We were attending another event in Rittenhouse later that evening & didn't want to have to re-park our cars. This was a nice surprise. The food was really tasty. We were actually even late for our reservation & the staff didn't give us a hard time about it. I'll definitely go to Slate again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slate wins on an icy eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/5/2014I recently met a friend at Slate for dinner. It was the evening of one of the recent winter weather messes. Although not crowded Slate was open and ready to serve. Their beer and wine lineup was not extensive yet had some solid players. The food was awesome, many fresh local ingredients. We started with a vegetable/Italian spring roll; unsure what to expect we were both pleasantly surprised. I chose a talapia special covered in scallops and crab meat. Being a waterman and budding cook, I have to say it hit the spot. With it being a quiet night the owner and waitress were both very personable. We chatted for a bit at the bar prior to sitting down. Overall, I'd say the food, drinks and service make for a winning combinationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingJimDDined on 2/1/2014We chose Slate for a birthday dinner, while we were out in that part of town for a few events. While the staff was great, the food was not. Their special of lobster bisque was actually really good, but the filet I ordered tasted like hamburger. The potatoes could have come from a box, and the vegetables were overcooked and without any real flavor. We also ordered the short rib mac&cheese, and it was a let down. There was about an inch of oil in the bottom of the dish, the meat was quite dry and tough, and the pasta/cheese was only ok. One of the salads we ordered was just bland and not very good, so they took it off our bill, which was nice of them. The drinks were very reasonable though, so I wouldn't mind going back for those.
- Who knew?FlyerfanrnDined on 1/31/2014I didn't even know this place existed until I went on open table and found it. We only had appetizers but they were delicious. The Escargot was amazing! Buttered scallops so tender. The berry drink I had was so good. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MISSED OPPORTUNITYelaineVIPDined on 1/12/2014It is hard to write a fair review - Several of us decided to go to brunch a few days ago. I picked this restaurant because of its proximity to where we all live. None of us had ever been here before. We decided to order cocktails first and asked for the mimosas which had a choice of mango and a few others. Only one of the juices was available. They were out of the others. My friend asked for a bloody Mary but the server told us they were out of Bloody Mary mix. It seemed as though everything we asked for was not available. How could a restaurant that serves brunch be out of everything to make typical brunch cocktails? Food was fine (egg dishes), no desserts on the brunch menu, coffee tasted as though it was decaf. Server was excellent.
- Great FoodKatieDined on 12/6/2013Although Slate has a pretty small menu, everything we had was really good. We started out with the baked goat cheese which was some of the best I've ever had. We also has the mussels, which were OK, but nothing amazing. For dinner I had the lamb burger (it was a special that night) and it was really good, really juicy and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try!Killian0909Dined on 11/23/2013Wonderful food, and the owner came over to talk about our dinner. I would recommend you try this great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmedMattDined on 11/20/2013Everything was okay, but nothing left us wanting more. I remember getting the scallops on figs puree, and while they were good i don't think i'd order them again. The truffle fries are good if you're into that sort of thing.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2013The menu was not overwhelming but inclusive and diverse . Most of our party had different entrees and all were complimentary of what they had. Staff was attentive and accommodating. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch was yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/9/2013Selection was a bit limited but everything we had was very tasty. Plan o go vack for dinner..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the company!LuckylisaDined on 11/8/2013We dined at Slate before a show. They were respectful of our time constraints. Food was good, service, sweet but not very well versed.Special Features:
- Good brunchZorro68Dined on 10/27/20136 of us had brunch here before the theatre. I had the eggs Benedict florentine and asked for my eggs well poached. They came out perfect, not runny but not hard boiled. It came with home fries, more like home made potato chips and a salad. Dishes ordered ranged from eggs, French toast and burgers. Everyone said their food was very good. Service was good and the server was very attentive in asking for coffee refills. Person having tea said water was only lukewarm, but when having a second cup asked for hotter water and they did comply. Table next to us was very loud but fortunately they left before our breakfast was served. Prices were fairly low for the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Apps and DrinksMrBlueSkiesVIPDined on 7/27/2013Four of us went on a Saturday night. The decor is pleasant enough with a small bar and extra seating in a side room. It was relatively empty for 7:00 on a Saturday. Service was very friendly and attentive. We tried several drinks from the drink special menu. I really enjoyed the Slate Manhattan. We ordered a variety of appetizers. The duck and goat cheese eggrolls were wonderful. We tried a variety of appetizers and enjoyed them all except for the scallops. The scallops were cooked nicely but they come with a very thick and sweet jam which overpowered the scallops. We also ordered the cheese and spinach stuffed lamb burger with truffle fries. The lamb burger was absolutely delicious. The truffle fries were crisp and hot.Special Features:
- Still there after many yearsReidVIPDined on 7/16/2013Well, the best I can say was everything was good, not outstanding. Sauces were a bit heavy. If we lived in the neighborhood we might go back. But we don't.
- Great all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/23/2013Found this place when looking for some place for dinner near a comedy club. What a find! The decor was very stylish and contemporary, the service was terrific. The food was stunning. I had Hanger Steak and my friend had the Cornish game hen. Perfectly cooked and seasoned. I would definitely go back and reccomend for anyone looking for a good meal and a nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went here for Mother'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013We went here for Mother's Day. The place only had two other groups to wait on and yet service was abysmal. The food took forever to arrive and after an hour when everyone finally got their food, my mother's food still hadn't arrived. They forgot to place her order! When it finally did come, it wasn't what she had ordered. Thanks for a great Mother's Day, guys! We will definitely not recommend this place to anyone.
- Less than Diner QualityDinearoundDined on 5/10/2013If "comfort food" means cooking without distinction, Slate has succeeded. The food here was mediocre at best, and overpriced for what tasted like frozen and/or pre-packaged offerings. My "stuffed" lamb burger was skimpy and had none of the promised feta cheese stuffing, while the accompanying truffle dusted fries were soggy. The key lime pie I ordered for dessert tasted like it came right out of the bakery department of my local grocery store. This modest meal, plus two glasses of house wine, set me back more than $50. My two dining companions' meals didn't look any better. Noise reverberates off the walls in this bare-bones atmosphere, trying to come off as hip, and the service is equally uninspired.
- We sat outside on a nice evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013We sat outside on a nice evening. Portions are small for the price paid. Tables were a bit wobbly, but we guess that is to be expected with outdoor furniture. Overall the food was good but we feel the experience could have been enhanced with a little better service. Thanks.
- Delightful food, friendly,NonniedDined on 4/25/2013Delightful food, friendly, knowledgeable and attentive wait staff. We will dine there again soon.Special Features:
- Fun bar. Great food. ThisdjphlVIPDined on 4/13/2013Fun bar. Great food. This restaurant is such a sleeper and I'm not sure why. Food is always great. Drinks and bar scene are terrific also.Special Features:
- Slate is a nice little restaurantindiedogDined on 3/23/2013Slate is a nice little restaurant convenient to local theaters and comedy clubs. It has a good bar selection and reasonable prices. The initial service was quick, but our waitress oddly didn't check back about refilling our empty wine glasses and when we flagged someone down it still took quite awhile for the place only being half full. The calamari was very good, and our entrees were good. Not actually remarkable, but good. No idea if they have dessert, again our waitress didn't ask.Special Features:
- Yummy and relaxedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013Three of us went to Slate for a pre-theatre dinner on a Friday. Intimate setting. Wait staff was terrific. The Slate Stuffed Burger (burger stuffed w short ribs, mushrooms, blue cheese) was scrumptious. Bangers and Mash very tasty. Service was excellent. We're not drinkers so can't rate the bar. Definitely would go back again. Thanks Slate!
- Our waitress was also theOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/20/2013Our waitress was also the bartender which caused her to be inattentive to the table. We both ordered steaks and were not provided with steak knives so had to ask for them.
- We chose Slate based on otherOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2013We chose Slate based on other Open Table reviews and we were not disappointed! Everything about our visit was outstanding. For starters we had the short rib mac and cheese and a special, duck confit and goat cheese spring rolls with a mild chipotle sauce. Both were full of flavor. Next we had the flank steak with parmesan fries and scallops with fig jam(another starter.) The flank steak was tender and the fries were addictive. The scallops were perfectly cooked and just the right balance of salty and sweet. We just barely had room to share the chocolate mousse cake for dessert, but somehow ate every bite. The wait staff and host were welcoming, friendly, and efficient. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great find just off RittenhouseRDTRDined on 2/16/2013A friend and I went for dinner before an 8pm show on a Saturday. This restaurant is very conveniently located near the Adrienne and the Comedy Club on Sansom St. Our waitress was brand new, however, the Bartender was very knowledgeable about the menu and wine pairings, and a manager came out while we were eating to check on us. We ordered the lobster bisque, mussels, the veggie pasta and the mahi mahi (daily special). Everything was tremendous -- even from the very beginning: the bread they gave us came with a gorgeously aromatic rosemary olive oil that was delightful. The sides for the mahi mahi included truffled mashed potatoes, which while decadent were absolutely amazing. I'd definitely return.Special Features:
- Totally lovely brunch. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/10/2013Totally lovely brunch. Great waitstaff. We came in for a birthday brunch and all agreed that it was a great time. Food was terrific ad the bread pudding and carrot cake brought for my friend's birthday were unbelievable!Special Features:
- We were a party of 5. TheMSKLVIPDined on 9/30/2012We were a party of 5. The place was empty when we arrived for a 6:30pm reservation. We were surprised as the reviews from Open Table were favorable and the windows were adorned with customer choice awards etc. We were a bit hesitant to stay, but we did. The food was average and my salmon had to be returned for more cooking. I think the emptiness of the restaurant put us on guard and we tended to be anxious about the food. Perhaps we would have had a better all round experience if the vibe had been better..
- a gem NW of Rittenhouse. ExcellenthuntingtonianDined on 9/15/2012a gem NW of Rittenhouse. Excellent food, great staff.Special Features:
- Salmon was cooked to perfection,pamkVIPDined on 9/15/2012Salmon was cooked to perfection, good flavors with wonderful salads to start. Service was attentive and helpful without intrusion. Would certainly go again.Special Features:
- Tuesday night...Not a good nightFussyGDined on 9/11/2012As it was a Tuesday evening, it was a slow night for this restaaurant. The food was ok, they had one desert available...said because it was Tuesday. Maybe it is better on a different night of the week but I will not be returning
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012What a pleasant surprise! We didn't know much about Slate before we dined there, and everything about it was wonderful. It is a lovely space. It was very quiet for a Saturday night which left us with attentive service and a nice environment to talk. When we tasted the food we knew we'd be back. Every dish was delicious, from the calamari to the bangers and mash; the salmon and the crabcake were great too, as were the cornish game hen and the spare ribs & mac. Our server took very good care of us with our wine selection also. We can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Food was great. It came outShawVIPDined on 8/25/2012Food was great. It came out quickly also. There was maybe one other group besides ours so it was pretty quiet. Staff very attentive.Special Features: